HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan has to be one of the best passing wingers around

Old
11-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Callahan isn't even the best passing right-winger on the team. Which is not to say he isn't good, but he's not great.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Callahan isn't even the best passing right-winger on the team. Which is not to say he isn't good, but he's not great.
Are you implying Gabby? Because Gaborik is great, and massively skilled, but isn't as creative as Cally when it comes to passing.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Are you implying Gabby? Because Gaborik is great, and massively skilled, but isn't as creative as Cally when it comes to passing.
I completely agree. Callahan is quite creative, and has shown that he can thread a needle as well like he did the other night against the caps with that pass that went right through the defense's skates' to Richards.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Gabby is twice the passer Cally is. Too many home grown homers here.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:54 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Yep. Gaborik doesn't get enough credit there, IMO. He's a phenomenal passer, and by far the best on the team from the wing.

Didn't see it before, but not as creative as Callahan? 'Creativity' is, first of all, subjective, and given the fact that Callahan has never out-assisted Gaborik in any full season, I don't think that matters at all. Gaborik sees the ice MUCH better than Callahan and is a much better technical passer. He doesn't need to be creative, because he already knows that it's going to get to his teammate's stick with a simple pass.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 11-27-2011 at 01:05 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I personally disagree, and even if Gaborik is the better playmaker, he wouldn't be TWICE the passer Cally is. That's Richards.

Gaborik has the same accuracy with his passing as he does with his shooting, that is to say, pinpoint. I maintain that Callahan is the more creative, more noticeable playmaker. Until this thread popped up, i would have called his passing criminally underrated; but among the best in the league is still a stretch. I'll give him above average, which is outstanding because I think i can say that for every aspect of his game.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

With guys like Daniel Sedin, Martin St. Louis, and Claude Giroux? No he's not.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:32 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
With guys like Daniel Sedin, Martin St. Louis, and Claude Giroux? No he's not.
Giroux is a center, at least primarily.

Old
11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Callahan barely passes to begin with, and when he does he's nothing special at all.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Callahan barely passes to begin with, and when he does he's nothing special at all.
Callahan passes when he doesn't have a shot.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Let me preface this by saying I love Ryan Callahan - a very good player, the type of captain we all hope for, etc, etc.

But theres 2 threads on the main page that take everything there is to like about Callahan, package in into homerism that borders on the absurd, and puts him up there with the greats in the league, which he is not.

He will never win a Selke award, he will never end a season near the league lead in assists - so whats with the threads that put him up on that type of pedistal?

In regards to this thread, when I think of Ryan Callahan, I do not think "creative player." Thats not a knock on him, in fact, thats what makes him the hardnosed captain we all enjoy. I wish someone would hammer the same message into Dubinsky's head.

Sometimes, Callahan surprises me and spins some wonderful passes, but to call him a playmaker is a stretch - and to call him "one of the best passing wingers around" is absurd.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Callahan had votes for the Selke last year.

I don't think anyone expects him to win one, but the recognition is there.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:20 PM
chosen

Gretzky just announced that if he had been able to pass like Callahan he would have been a real swell player.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Let me preface this by saying I love Ryan Callahan - a very good player, the type of captain we all hope for, etc, etc.

But theres 2 threads on the main page that take everything there is to like about Callahan, package in into homerism that borders on the absurd, and puts him up there with the greats in the league, which he is not.

He will never win a Selke award, he will never end a season near the league lead in assists - so whats with the threads that put him up on that type of pedistal?

In regards to this thread, when I think of Ryan Callahan, I do not think "creative player." Thats not a knock on him, in fact, thats what makes him the hardnosed captain we all enjoy. I wish someone would hammer the same message into Dubinsky's head.

Sometimes, Callahan surprises me and spins some wonderful passes, but to call him a playmaker is a stretch - and to call him "one of the best passing wingers around" is absurd.
Great post - agree completely.

Callahan is a great player to have, but he is far, and I mean far from "one of the best passing wingers in the league". He's hardly one of the best passers on this team, although he isn't a terrible passer. Once in a while, as you said, he'll surprise and make a beautiful no look pass, but he has made plenty of bad passes that resulted in turnovers because of it's [lack of] quality.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Man, when nobody responded to that for almost a day, I started wondering if I was alone in thinking that Gaborik is the best passing winger on the team.

Look, if Gaborik's mind was one that focused on putting up assists rather than goals, he'd have 50-70 assists every season. He really is that good of a passer. He just doesn't play a playmaker's game.

Callahan isn't terrible, but all NHL forwards are capable of making the occasional amazing pass. I've seen Prust do it. I've seen Avery do it. I've seen Fedotenko do it. I'm not saying that Callahan is at the same level as those guys, because he's clearly a step above. But he's not "one of the best" in any offensive category, period.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:41 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Man, when nobody responded to that for almost a day, I started wondering if I was alone in thinking that Gaborik is the best passing winger on the team.

Look, if Gaborik's mind was one that focused on putting up assists rather than goals, he'd have 50-70 assists every season. He really is that good of a passer. He just doesn't play a playmaker's game.

Callahan isn't terrible, but all NHL forwards are capable of making the occasional amazing pass. I've seen Prust do it. I've seen Avery do it. I've seen Fedotenko do it. I'm not saying that Callahan is at the same level as those guys, because he's clearly a step above. But he's not "one of the best" in any offensive category, period.
I agree with you as well. Gaborik's passing was great his first season here. 44 assists, a career high (and yes, many of them were "creative" passes). Prospal doesn't touch 20 goals without him.

Since that season, other players have started contributing more on the scoresheet, and with Richards and Stepan on the team, we no longer need Gaborik to be relied upon as a playmaker like he was in 2009-10. But the capability to put up 40+ assists is certainly there if need be.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Callahan is a fine passer, and it's yet another part of his game that is underrated, as everything else. He's not the most creative player, he's not the most technically skilled passer, either, but then again, he's not the biggest, strongest, or fastest player, yet he outperforms many that are in other areas of the game.

It all comes down to the fact that Callahan is an exceedingly intelligent player who makes fast, smart decisions most of the time. So while he may not be the best playmaker on the team, or even a playmaker at all, he ends up being capable of contributing as one, but that's what makes him one of the better all-around players in the sport. There is very little that he can't do at a level that is better than the average player, and that includes passing. There is no question that Richards is easily the best passer on the team, but Callahan makes a great case for third right now behind Gaborik. Maybe 4th behind Stepan, but Stepan is still not passing the puck with the kind of frequency that I expect he will someday.

Don't forget that while Callahan may not always make the cross-ice pass through covered passing lanes, Callahan will make the correct "small" pass as a play develops to the correct player, at the correct time, and in the correct manner, far more often than most players, and that's a pretty big part of passing, too. There's more to passing than just assists.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Callahan is a fine passer, and it's yet another part of his game that is underrated, as everything else. He's not the most creative player, he's not the most technically skilled passer, either, but then again, he's not the biggest, strongest, or fastest player, yet he outperforms many that are in other areas of the game.

It all comes down to the fact that Callahan is an exceedingly intelligent player who makes fast, smart decisions most of the time. So while he may not be the best playmaker on the team, or even a playmaker at all, he ends up being capable of contributing as one, but that's what makes him one of the better all-around players in the sport. There is very little that he can't do at a level that is better than the average player, and that includes passing. Don't forget that while Callahan may not always make the cross-ice pass through covered passing lanes, Callahan will make the correct "small" pass as a play develops to the correct player, at the correct time, and in the correct manner, far more often than most players, and that's a pretty big part of passing, too. There's more to passing than just assists.

Well put....kudos to Captain Calli

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
JimmyStart*

USing this as kind of an appreciation post. It's so great having our capt play his butt off AND make actual plays. Guy has been awesome this year he's barely behind Gabs and Richards in points. Just phenomenal player and will go down as one of the great Rangers of all time along with Hank.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
gotmonte

Love all the non-pro scouts in this thread.

Cally sucks at passing

Cally is above average at passing

Cally is elite passer

Cally has practiced on his passing and is just above crap at it.

LOL

One fan-base. Divided in 4's

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Agreed. Callahan is a GOOD player, but not great or elite by any means. Tons of homers here as usual.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Agreed. Callahan is a GOOD player, but not great or elite by any means. Tons of homers here as usual.
I'd call him a great winger. Not ONE OF THE GREATS. But he's above average in every category. I'd call that great.

Old
12-02-2011, 07:03 PM
rangersfan111

Callahan is a good passer but to say he is a better passer than Gaborik is an incredible reach. He's not even a better passer than Zuccarello. Callahan is a good passer with a good shot that has loads of heart. Sorry but too many homers here.

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

It all comes down to the fact that Callahan is an exceedingly intelligent player who makes fast, smart decisions most of the time. So while he may not be the best playmaker on the team, or even a playmaker at all, he ends up being capable of contributing as one, but that's what makes him one of the better all-around players in the sport. There is very little that he can't do at a level that is better than the average player, and that includes passing. There is no question that Richards is easily the best passer on the team, but Callahan makes a great case for third right now behind Gaborik. Maybe 4th behind Stepan, but Stepan is still not passing the puck with the kind of frequency that I expect he will someday.

Don't forget that while Callahan may not always make the cross-ice pass through covered passing lanes, Callahan will make the correct "small" pass as a play develops to the correct player, at the correct time, and in the correct manner, far more often than most players, and that's a pretty big part of passing, too. There's more to passing than just assists.
Did you forget about Anisimov and Dubinsky? Both are easily ahead of Cally in the passing game.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

Quote:
he so is not. Brad Richards is, by a lot.....a WHOLE lot. a WHOLE GIANT HEAP of lot.
he may be better. and at the time i wrote that Steps was passing better but i don't think Richards is thaaaaat much better but i agree.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote