HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wolf Pack, AHL Making Changes

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2004, 02:30 AM
majicpixie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hockey/h...adlines-hockey

September 16, 2004
By BRUCE BERLET, Courant Staff Writer

With the NHL lockout in effect, AHL teams began maneuvering for talent.

AHL teams are free to sign anyone. But only independently owned AHL teams not fully stocked by their NHL partner, such as Chicago, Grand Rapids, Manitoba and Hershey, are likely to sign another NHL team's player.

The Wolf Pack roster increased when forwards Layne Ulmer and Richard Scott and defenseman Jeff MacMillan cleared waivers. Ulmer was the Pack's second-leading goal scorer last season (22), and Scott played only 15 games before sustaining a concussion with the Rangers. MacMillan signed with the Rangers July 22 after spending most of last season with Utah and playing four games with the Dallas Stars.

The Pack now must sign seven other players with two-way contracts who became locked out and must sign AHL contracts to participate in training camp, which starts Sept. 26 at the Rangers' practice facility in Tarrytown, N.Y., before moving to Hartford Oct. 2. The seven are forwards Chad Wiseman, Jed Ortmeyer and Alexandre Giroux, defensemen Lawrence Nycholat and Martin Grenier and goalies Jason LaBarbera and Steve Valiquette.

Forward Lee Falardeau, the Rangers' second-round pick in 2002, signed with the Rangers and will be in camp. Falardeau, 21, played three seasons with Michigan State after playing for under-17 and under-18 teams in the North American Hockey League in 1999-2001.

The Rangers and Pack could know this week when goalie Dan Blackburn will return. The Rangers' first-round pick (10th overall) in 2001 was tested Tuesday after missing last season with nerve damage in his left shoulder sustained lifting weights in July 2003. Blackburn, who was 20-32-4 with a 3.22 goals-against average in 63 games with the Rangers and 2-1-1, 2.71 in four games with the Pack in his first two pro seasons, has been working out and skating but needs clearance from doctors to participate in training camp.

Old
09-16-2004, 08:35 AM
NYR469

lundmark & betts were included in the list, but hopefully will both also be signing ahl deals...

Old
09-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Pearl Necklace

Welcome to Worcester...

Quote:
Former Pack defenseman Mike Mottau signed with the Worcester IceCats after spending last season with the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks. ...
Well now, I look forward to heckling you every night Mike.
Welcome to Worcester, bub.

Old
09-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Necklace
Well now, I look forward to heckling you every night Mike.
Welcome to Worcester, bub.
I'm in my first semester of college in Worcester, could you tell me what ticket prices for Ice Cats games generally run from? How's the arena?

Thanks.

Old
09-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Pearl Necklace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan13
I'm in my first semester of college in Worcester, could you tell me what ticket prices for Ice Cats games generally run from? How's the arena?
Thanks.
On a weeknight you pay about $14 and can sit against the glass, pretty much all the way around. (There are people there, but they spread out.)

Weekends are tougher because there are so many kids. Tons of kids actually. However, you still get to sit in the lower bowl for the same cost.

The arena is small-to-mid size and a little old, however let's focus on what you get. For the cost of $14 you can get all torqued up and go watch a bunch of guys fight/crush each other in the hopes of making the big team.

The Pack usually come in about twice a year, but lately these teams haven't fought much. The Providence (Baby) Bruins are local rivals.

Closed Thread