HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What bugs you about the NHL?

Old
11-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Give us 10mins of OT before the shootout.
Players not able to handle clean aggressive hits, always seems to be a fight after someone gets clocked..
Reffing inconsistency.
Trapezoid.
"Goal scorers goal" - Just an annoying saying, I think.

People are afraid for grown men, who choosing to play this game, getting injured. It's their choice, they know the possible consequences, injuries will happen. You can't protect everyone all the time.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Leafan519

Gary Bettman.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:31 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Shanaban's inconsistent rulings.

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

1. Diving.
2. The fact that they don't call diving.
3. The fact that there is no supplemental discipline for dives that were missed.

I'm embarrassed when a player on my team dives and disgusted with the guys around the league that make flopping and faking part of their day to day style of play.

11-25-2011, 11:37 PM
sammy d

I think they say blue ice on CBC all the time too. Maybe a Canadian thing???

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Canadian entitlement from fans and media.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:48 PM
featherhawk

Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman. ......Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman.......Be ttman......Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman.... ...Bettman......Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettma n.......Bettman......Bettman.......Bettman.......B ettman.......Bettman......Bettman.......Bettman... ....Bettman.......Bettman......Bettman.......Bettm an.......Bettman.......Bettman......Bettman....... Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman......Bettman.. .....Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman......Bett man.......Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman..... .Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman.......Bettman .......

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:59 PM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

Diving
Instigator penalties
Shootouts
Home team is allowed to put their stick down last in face-off circle
Icing on intended passes

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:11 AM
dan1el

Lack of offense
Crosby in 1985: 180 points
Ovechkin in 1985: 160 points
Malkin in 1985: 145 points
the Sedins in 1985: 130
Stamkos: 130
Backstrom: 125
Spezza, St. Louis, Iginla, Kessel, Gaborik, Richards, Kopitar, Staal, Kane, Toews, Zetterberg, Datsyuk: all 100+ every year.

I hate this un-offensive era.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:50 AM
kward

1. Divisions

2. Shootouts. They take the excitement out of penalty shots, and they should never decide a game. Pour your heart and soul out for 65 minutes, only to lose because some kid has a sweet dangle he doesn't have the stones to pull during regulation? FAIL!!!

3. The 5 minute overtime.

4. The OTL category that makes every team appear better than they are. 12-7-3 looks like a better team than the actual won-loss record: 12-10. And fans buy into this crap and believe their team is better than it is. It's...

5. Rewarding mediocrity. 8-8-3 is NOT .500 it's 8-11.

5. A kajillion regular season games. 65 tops. No hockey in June, hell no hockey in May either!

6. Exhibition games.

7. Opening the season in Uganda, Mongolia, Finland, or anywhere that isn't Canada or the U.S.

8. 2 point wins, and the loser point (see above). In the regular season regulation should end with a win, loss, or tie.

9. Not enough difference between winning and losing, points-wise. 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie. Yes, ties suck, but so does tacking on an arbitrary overtime period, to be followed by a shootout cartoon.

10. Not enough teams.

Most Canadians think we should take all the teams out of the sun belt, I say we add more! But by the same token, Canada needs more teams too. But it cannot happen until the league gets over this stupid overpriced corporate model trying to pretend it's bigger than it is.
$300 to take your family to see a game? GTFO!

11. Salary caps and floors.

Free market all the way.
If some Mark Cuban wanna-be wants to pay Alexei Yashin $38 million a year to float around centre ice an entire season, cool.
AND, if Buddy Nobody wants to own a team in Upper Rubber Boot, B.C. and pay his players in smiles and play games in a curling rink, also cool.

11. Dinosaurs roaming NHL board rooms.

The NHL should be the larger umbrella that all pro hockey teams play under. Make the top 20 or so teams the top tier.
Bring all other pro league teams in North America into the fold, AHL, etc.
Divide teams into 20 team leagues based on payroll, then use promotion and relegation every year at season's end.
Top 3 move up for following season, bottom 3 move down.
Allow teams in any town or city with a willing owner to buy in, no payroll minimum or maximum. Stop allowing good junior players to go to waste, never realizing their dream.
Give fans in every backwater the hope (however faint) of raising the cup.

12. Squandering the opportunity to REALLY grow the game.

Everyone loves the playoffs, but even they can be made more exciting.
How?
Every tier can have its own playoffs for their respective trophies. Fine. Then make the Stanley Cup playoffs a March Madness style tournament, only it'd be in April.
Top 64 pro teams, seeded based on the reg. season and playoffs that preceded, and level of competition, schedule, etc. Then single elim. knockout for the cup.
And the Cup is won, end of April, at the latest (see shortened season above).

13. "Case-by-case" discipline.

Get rid of goonerism for real with pre-defined punishment. No arbitrary rulings based on trying to figure out intent.
Head hit first offence: 40 games.
Head hit second offence: Season.
Head hit third offence: Banned, as in...for life. No exceptions for anyone, not even Sid.
Do that and the goons go away fast, and we see Olympic caliber hockey night in and night out.

14. NBC.

15. Don Cherry and Bob Cole. Legends? Undoubtedly, but it's time to go.

16. Mike Milbury and "old school" dinosaurs like him. Beat it.

17. Fighting. It's 13 headshots in the span of 20 seconds.

18. Pierre Maguire.

19. Fans who post rambling manifesto-style posts like this one.

Last edited by kward: 11-26-2011 at 01:04 AM.
kward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:06 AM
MartysBetter
Do it for Yanni

The fact that some games are 2 points and some games are 3 points drives me bat****, either make regulation wins 3 points or stop giving points for OT losses, it's just stupid.

MartysBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

1.The fact that if you do as much as give a guy a little tug on the backcheck that's a penalty. I'd rather they were a little more lenient.
2. The fact that suspensions seem to be called based on the result of the hit, rather than the hit itself.
3. The inconsistence in the discipliniary department, looking at you, Shanahan.
4. The Instigator rule.
5. Players having to answer for clean hits.
6. Diving, and the lack of penalties called for it.

I'll come back when I think of more.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Human Thumb*

The fans.

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

vCash: 50
The fact that when I turn on the TV or radio to a sports channel, or log on to this website, it seems like half the discussions are about the NHL as a business. Salary caps, pro-rated escrows, contract-lengths, profits, losses, and so on. It's as though nobody's trying to even pretend anymore that hockey is a cultural institution, and are instead depicting it so nakedly as a business that there's no room for any of the romance I used to associate with the game. I realize it's a silly and unrealistic concern to a lot of people, but it sure would be nice if every once in a while they stopped and just tried to pretend it's a sport instead of a business. After all, when you detach it from its cultural value, it becomes nothing more than a bunch of rich white people taking our money to the tune of billions annually and in return doing absolutely nothing for our material lives.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
1.The fact that if you do as much as give a guy a little tug on the backcheck that's a penalty. I'd rather they were a little more lenient.
2. The fact that suspensions seem to be called based on the result of the hit, rather than the hit itself.
3. The inconsistence in the discipliniary department, looking at you, Shanahan.
4. The Instigator rule.
5. Players having to answer for clean hits.
6. Diving, and the lack of penalties called for it.

I'll come back when I think of more.
While I absolutely agree with #2-6 of your list...#1 is just...no.

Being raised in the clutch and grab era I have an inherent hate for that style of play. Hooking someone because you aren't fast enough to keep up with them isn't fair. Interfering with someone before they have the puck isn't fair. Grabbing a guy because you're too fat to keep up with him isn't fair. The league is too lenient on that stuff for my tastes, I'd prefer things go back to the way they were directly after the lockout. Call the game as it is in the rulebook.

Actually, that's going to be a gripe I'll raise. A penalty is a penalty. I don't care if it's a 4-0 game 15 minutes in, 1-1 with 5 minutes left, or 9-0 in the third...a scoring chance robbed by a hook is still a hooking penalty. And just because a team is down by a few goals doesn't mean you are supposed to turn a blind eye to their fouls but start calling anything even remotely chippy on the other side. Catch-up logic is something that should have died with EA video games about 6 years ago.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

The OT loss point.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:35 AM
FilthyNote*

How babied Crosby is.

I am fine with him being the poster-child of the sport but at least make him play by the same rules as every other player in the game.

I know somebody is going to get mad at me saying that but unless you are wearing Crosby-colored glasses it's pretty obvious he ALWYAS gets the benefit of the doubt with any call.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
How babied Crosby is.

I am fine with him being the poster-child of the sport but at least make him play by the same rules as every other player in the game.

I know somebody is going to get mad at me saying that but unless you are wearing Crosby-colored glasses it's pretty obvious he ALWYAS gets the benefit of the doubt with any call.
This is all in your head.

He's received more penalty minutes than he's drawn and he's already had a number of penalties against him not called (high sticking, roughing, to name a couple). The only people who think he's being babied are the ones not watching him play. At least wait until an obvious case of this happens before you start up with this nonsense again.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:54 AM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
This is all in your head.

He's received more penalty minutes than he's drawn and he's already had a number of penalties against him not called (high sticking, roughing, to name a couple). The only people who think he's being babied are the ones not watching him play. At least wait until an obvious case of this happens before you start up with this nonsense again.
First off, you are helping prove my point.

Secondly, I don't know what you mean by "this nonsense again." ...Have I already made this post before in this thread or something? I am pretty sure that was my first one.

Thirdly, I love how you assume I haven't watched games with Crosby. lol.

Fourthly, this post is about opinion and that's mine. Deal with it.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

It's pretty easy to deal with when you can't even cite examples.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:57 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

The shootout is an insult to REAL hockey. FACT.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:59 AM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
It's pretty easy to deal with when you can't even cite examples.
I call it like I see it. I don't have to do research for you. If you don't see it that's not my problem. And I am sorry I don't DVR every call I think is giving Crosby special treatment. You can't exactly just go to NHL.com and lookup video's for every penalty in a game either.

I have nothing to prove to you. I get the feeling that even if I did you would have some other excuse as well. It doesn't matter. I have my opinion, you have yours. Can't see why that is so hard for you to understand.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

If you had any examples, you'd have whipped them out as fast as you possibly could. But you don't, because like I said, this is all in your head.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:08 AM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
If you had any examples, you'd have whipped them out as fast as you possibly could. But you don't, because like I said, this is all in your head.
Yup. I keep a record of every penalty and non-call in Crosby's history I just choose not to show you because it's all in my head.

Keep drinking the kool-aide.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

No kool-aid required. No memorized record of every penalty and non-call is required either, as any instance of either of those things would result in a giant thread here on the main boards. Crosby can't give someone a hard stare without a thread with someone *****ing about it popping up.