HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What bugs you about the NHL?

Old
11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Blues88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
me, 4 things.

1. Announcers saying "blue ice" instead of "crease". Always has been a crease, always will be, say crease dammit. I have a conspiracy theory about this. I think your highness Bettman issued a decree to all networks to dumb things down for casual American viewers.

2. When a goal is scored they go by their bench and high five everyone. Shouldn't 12 year olds being doing this and not professionals?

3. After a team wins they all go headbutt their goalie. Christ sakes, be original, do something else.

4. Homer announcers, Boston being the worst, worst miscreants ever foisted on public airwaves.
I am on board with this theory. Bettman clearly wants this game to devolve into a consumer product, and I'm still suspicious as to why he chooses to hold outdoor games in a FOOTBALL stadium. Projecting much there Gary?

The handshake line got me thinking too. Why have a minimum draft age? Why not open the process up to upper elementary and middle school kids? I think we all can agree that it would take much of the suspense we've had to endure out of waiting for guys like Crosby to hit draft age eligibility.

Number three is where we really see eye to eye. Its pretty stupid to acknowledge your goalie for doing what he's paid to do. I'd be willing to bet goalies have the least amount of friends on the team anyway, so there is virtually no need to act like you know him simply because your team pulled out the win. I've been kicking around the idea of a gladiator like finale to games, but a twist ending that sees the winning team eat the losing team. To the victor go the spoils, right bro?

I've long wondered how the commies were still able to indoctrinate our youth and sway them with pot and rock and roll music to being sympathetic to communist causes. What I never considered is homer announcing and the stain its become on the very fabric of this great continent. If you play a Jack Edwards recording backwards, it clearly illustrates the collusive relationship between upper New England and the KGB.

I would say my biggest gripe though is Steven Stamkos and his hair. It's just so free love and disgusting.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

That everything that makes it to the media should be hidden. They got rid of the pests this year(Avery, Cooke, Clutterbuck, Ott, etc... have stopped acting like themselves) then they focus on headshots but at the same time the guys don't hit anymore, afraid of the consequences. Next step will be fighting(and they want to get rid of it). Then they'll get rid all the coach who a personality so they cannot say things to the media. Then the color commentators will go. Already the goals are way down. Next thing you know hockey will be as sleep-inducing as curling.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Three things, in order:
  1. Gary Bettman
  2. Instigator rule
  3. Shootout

Get rid of all three and I'll be happy.
Sorry for quoting myself but I need to add one:

4. The inconsistency is disciplinary actions.

Yes, it is somewhat related to the Pacioretty suspension. No, I'm not arguing that he should have walked away free. I am saying that others before him walked away and should not have.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

I agree with waaaay too many points made on this thread to repeat. I think I agree about annoying fans though... ones that whine when their team loses, saying it was the other team cheating or ref bias.... sure maybe once in awhile something goes wrong but I know people who say that about EVERY game... as if their team would really have a perfect season.

Not a shootout fan either...
I feel like it's east coast biased too (except Detroit with a lil Chicago sprinkled in)

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:08 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

1. Diving. Beyond flat out dives, all of the little embellishments that go on. Like when a player gets high sticked in the helmet and he does the full head whip and stays down for 30 seconds covering his face. Then "surprise" he's out on the PP. Every team does it, mine included.

2. In a similar vein, inconsistent officiating. Over the course of a season things tend to even out, but those few games where your team gets clearly shafted can make the blood boil.

3. The NHL's not so thinly veiled efforts to take open ice hitting out of the game. What ever happened to keeping your head up? Having responsibility for the position you put yourself in?

4. Comcast only having 1 HD Center Ice feed.

11-29-2011, 09:12 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
shootout, no consistency with regards to suspension etc.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

I never want to hear the phrase "the ref called more on A than B." They should be saying that A committed more penalties than B.

I hate people (Refs included) thinking that the refs job is to keep penalties even or even thinking that refs should ever call a play differently based on the circumstances. I don't care about the Score, the player, which team got the last powerplay or even the last 5, time left, if the game is in regulation or OT, or if its opening night or Finals game 7. If a penalty is committed make the call. Players will learn. If the league as a whole thinks there are too many penalties at that point, change the rules a little bit.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
1. Diving. Beyond flat out dives, all of the little embellishments that go on. Like when a player gets high sticked in the helmet and he does the full head whip and stays down for 30 seconds covering his face. Then "surprise" he's out on the PP. Every team does it, mine included.

2. In a similar vein, inconsistent officiating. Over the course of a season things tend to even out, but those few games where your team gets clearly shafted can make the blood boil.

3. The NHL's not so thinly veiled efforts to take open ice hitting out of the game. What ever happened to keeping your head up? Having responsibility for the position you put yourself in?

4. Comcast only having 1 HD Center Ice feed.
Agreed on 1, 2 and 4. Three is a perfectly good change though. Safety has to come first. The old time players weren't tougher, they were less educated on sports medicine and physiology in general. Knowing what we know about head injuries you simply can't justify allowing players to hit each other in the head. Also, open ice hits are perfectly legal as long as the head isn't involved.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote