HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
So I guess Trautwig is "chief" from now on?

Old
01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
ocarina

Watching this game, the team played it's best stretch of basketball when Melo wasn't on the floor. Interesting...

Old
01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Watching this game, I still feel strongly to go anywhere in this league you need superstars. Denver isn't a great team at all, so i'll disagree with you there Sting. I still feel the problem is we built around the wrong superstars and sacrificed depth to do so as well.

That being said, I was half sleeping but it sounds like Melo went 1-10 or something like that shooting.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Watching this game, I still feel strongly to go anywhere in this league you need superstars. Denver isn't a great team at all, so i'll disagree with you there Sting. I still feel the problem is we built around the wrong superstars and sacrificed depth to do so as well.

That being said, I was half sleeping but it sounds like Melo went 1-10 or something like that shooting.
A great team as in the Thunder or the Bulls? No, Denver is not as good as those teams. But they're a great TEAM. They're a team, the play like a team, they play solid defense, they move the ball around very well, and they have incredible depth (and they happen to be A LOT better then they're playing tonight, with one of their top players at both ends of the floor in Afflalo out of the lineup, not to mention Rudy, who has been fantastic offensively for them off the bench this season).

Most importantly, they're better today than they were a year ago when they had Anthony in the lineup. Even without a superstar, they're a top 10 team in this league. The Knicks are not. And when they're healthy, they're just a very enjoyable team to watch.

I don't know if anyone else is watching a stream of this (Time Warner customer here), but on the stream you can here MSG personnel while they're "off-mic," and this is hilarious. I love Trautwig. He's talking about Homeland on Showtime LOL. He's making jokes about the Bill Walker/"chief" comment. This is better than the game.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:27 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Anthony's under contract. D-Will is going to leave Brooklyn, there's no question in my mind.

This keeps up and I'm starting to think there's a real chance they move 'Melo for D-Will. Hell, the Knicks might be able to get a pick in the deal given the difference in contractual situations...

Old
01-21-2012, 08:31 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

If Harrington gets hot, this game is over.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If anybody thinks this team wouldn't have been fine with Amar'e, Tyson, and Gallo at in the front court while using Melo's cap space to improve the back court, you're nuts.

He's been going off.

And there's the game. Oh well, didn't expect a win anyway.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:51 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
If anybody thinks this team wouldn't have been fine with Amar'e, Tyson, and Gallo at in the front court while using Melo's cap space to improve the back court, you're nuts.

He's been going off.

And there's the game. Oh well, didn't expect a win anyway.
At this point you have to believe it's D'antoni telling Melo to take all those shots and not feature Amare as often, because he continues to play.

There is a system out there that will make it work, and Mike needs to find it soon.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

He's been going off.
Aaaand... they're about to lose, because he killed the offense at the end yet again.

Look, I was in favor of acquiring him (although we paid way too much because of Jimmy ****ing Dolan). I thought that surely this great talent will improve his game and play team basketball just as Amar'e did when he came here. And I will say that I think he's gotten better at defense and that he has done a good job of finding Chandler on alley oops.

But, he INSISTS on taking the shot every other time down - and damn near 80% times down the stretch. He INSISTS on playing hero ball. It's like the game isn't worth winning if HE isn't the one to win it. I swear, when he goes into his routine and then does pass 1 out of 5 times, it's just so he can justify taking the next 4 again.

I'm serious - the Knicks should look at trading him to the Nets for D-Will. The Nets are going to lose D-Will without bringing Howard there, but Howard isn't coming there unless another star signs first. By trading for 'Melo, the Nets get a superstar under contract. The Knicks get a player that better fits their system and better complements Chandler and Amar'e. Heck, the Knicks might even be able to pry away another asset or two to account for the fact that 'Melo comes under contract.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 295
So sick of seeing Melo take every god damn shot in the 4th and OT.

I'd undo that trade anyday. Gallo is a stud.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The only other option I can think of is to hire Phil Jackson - he's the only coach I can think of that might actually be able to beat that prima donna ******** out of 'Melo.

Old
01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree, trade Carmelo for D-Will.

Stat's been bad but we've seen how he can flourish in a D'antoni system. Melo came and since then Stat (and Landry, too) have dropped off.

He didn't get a chance to shoot in the game after Melo decided he was going to win the game for the team in the 4th quarter, even though he was setting tons of screens and would be open after that.

Sick of Carmelo ball. Go get Deron.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

You trade Amar'e before you trade Melo.

Amar'e is breaking down. And while I know many don't like Melo's game. He's a much better player than Amar'e.

Fire D'Antoni.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Amar'e is breaking down. And while I know many don't like Melo's game. He's a much better player than Amar'e.

Fire D'Antoni.
Coincidentally, Amare's "breaking down" started happening when Carmelo came to town.

Disagree. I get Melo out of here first, definitely. I don't want to say he's a cancer, he's a nice guy, but he's had nothing but a negative effect on this team from the moment he arrived.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Gallo's revenge 37 points and 11 boards

Old
01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Tonight proves that it's not about superstars, it's about team chemistry. Who are the superstars that play in Denver? There aren't any.

I've been very sour on the Knicks since the Carmelo trade. With every passing day, all the people against "blowing up" a team that was 1st or 2nd in the league in scoring at the time, are looking pretty smart right now.

They got rid of guys that cumulatively, did everything for you (with the exception of a big-man's presence: I don't count Mozgov, although I do like him).

Look at the guys they gave up?

When you think about it, it's all Lebron James' fault. The Knicks front office (along with really the whole league) was seduced by this notion that if you get a "big 3" a la Boston, Miami, that a title will be likely, if not assumed. This way of thinking caused them to make a bad trade (a trade that was made even worse by the pressure of an owner who knows about as much about sports as I do about astrophysics).

In any event, it's a sad state of affairs, in NYC. We had, for only a few months, a team worth cheering for. Now it's all over, and changes need to be made. For starters, D'Antoni needs to go. He seems clueless as to how to right the ship. Hopefully, when Baron Davis comes back, he has something left in the tank, and can somehow get us into the playoffs. What a mess, right now, though. What a horrific train wreck, the Knicks are.

Let's all be happy we're Ranger fans, because when you think about it, does anything else even matter?

Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 01-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 10:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Fire D'Antoni.
Quote:
Coincidentally, Amare's "breaking down" started happening when Carmelo came to town.

Disagree. I get Melo out of here first, definitely. I don't want to say he's a cancer, he's a nice guy, but he's had nothing but a negative effect on this team from the moment he arrived.
Yup.

More importantly, 'Melo's contract is insured and Amar'e's isn't. If you are willing to contemplate this solution, then as a practical matter, Anthony is likely the only one you can actually trade.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

they need to end this post game so i can watch Rangers in 60

Old
01-21-2012, 10:16 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:

Sarcasm?

Most people thought at some point he would break down pretty soon.

The Knicks were the ONLY team that offered him a max...

Old
01-21-2012, 10:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Sarcasm?

Not sarcasm. Amar'e was playing great basketball until Melo came here.

I disagree that he's "breaking down" in the first place. I think he's having a problem fitting into whatever system we're running to appease Carmelo.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:21 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Sarcasm?

It's no coincidence that his play has gone south after the trade... since they gave away Felton, they don't have anyone who can give Stat the ball and run the pick and roll with him. He's still a great finisher, but he can't create by himself.

On another note, nice to see Melo be Mr. Efficient... 10-30 shooting. Who cares if he is averaging 25 points a game, he's shooting 41.2 percent from the field on the season.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

I disagree that he's "breaking down" in the first place. I think he's having a problem fitting into whatever system we're running to appease Carmelo.
Agreed again.

Old
01-21-2012, 11:41 PM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

You guys are all correct, I think. He needs a PG to be really effective..it's that simple. He was a monster last year with Felton. He didn't just start "breaking down". This whole thing doesn't work without a PG. D'Antoni is only a good coach with the right ingredients. He can't right this ship, as it is constituted..period.

Old
01-21-2012, 11:56 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Just finished watching the game.

Melo just can't help himself from shooting. I've never seen someone kill ball movement like this guy. Amare looks like a ****ing decoy out there. He just doesn't seem to be into it anymore.

I want Gallo back.

Old
01-22-2012, 12:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
At this point you have to believe it's D'antoni telling Melo to take all those shots and not feature Amare as often, because he continues to play.
That'd mean you had to believe it was George Karl telling him to do the same thing in Denver, since he's been doing this most of his career.

Quote:
There is a system out there that will make it work, and Mike needs to find it soon.
NBA history says otherwise. When a team's "best" player, who also commands the largest chunk of their budget, is a ballhog who doesn't play defense, that generally means they aren't going to be winning anything of significance, because that very player inhibits their ability to play any system. Every system is predicated on some sort of continued movement of the ball. The ball stops moving when Anthony is on the floor, and it usually ends up in his hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I'm serious - the Knicks should look at trading him to the Nets for D-Will. The Nets are going to lose D-Will without bringing Howard there, but Howard isn't coming there unless another star signs first. By trading for 'Melo, the Nets get a superstar under contract. The Knicks get a player that better fits their system and better complements Chandler and Amar'e. Heck, the Knicks might even be able to pry away another asset or two to account for the fact that 'Melo comes under contract.
- Disagree about Howard. He may not end up with the Nets, but I don't think he's waiting for another superstar. He knows they'd get one eventually (he and Williams in Brooklyn would attract someone sooner than later). I think there's still a pretty decent chance he ends up there, and Williams stays.

- Why would they do that now? You get stuck with the Knicks reject, who didn't want to go to your team in the first place, and who has now proven to yet again be not conducive towards winning. That team is going to draw, win or lose. If they don't get Dwight and lose Williams, they'd be better off just waiting it out till they can get someone worth committing to.

Quote:

Fire D'Antoni.
Amare was just fine last year when the team was moving the ball around, and had multiple scoring options.

Quote:

Bingo.

Closed Thread