HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Thank you god.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Wow...Dantoni messed up going with Douglas
D'Antoni messed up by going with Douglas, a recent first round pick with a contract and promise and not going with the undrafted guy who got cut by two non-playoff teams in training camp, and is 23 and has never gotten any real NBA minutes?

D'Antoni deserves kudos for being the first guy to give Lin a real shot.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:41 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
D'Antoni messed up by going with Douglas, a recent first round pick with a contract and promise and not going with the undrafted guy who got cut by two non-playoff teams in training camp, and is 23 and has never gotten any real NBA minutes?

Dantoni was forced into doing it...He put Douglas in the second half against the Celtics and the Knicks lost the game, he had Lin sitting. Why?

Douglas has done nothing but go backwards yet Dantoni does not realize a change needed to be made...The whole fanbase was screaming for a change.

Old
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:

3 games in 3 nights...D'antoni had no choice, really.

Douglas has had a horrible season, but I dont think he would have been removed if the schedule didnt tire out his team.

I'm going to remain cautious about Lin. No way the next few teams allow him to slice through the D like he did tonight.

The Nets' Matador defense tonight was very post-2001 Knick-esque. Knicks had almost 60 points in the paint. That's crazy.

Old
02-05-2012, 01:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

Dantoni was forced into doing it...He put Douglas in the second half against the Celtics and the Knicks lost the game, he had Lin sitting. Why?

Douglas has done nothing but go backwards yet Dantoni does not realize a change needed to be made...The whole fanbase was screaming for a change.
You think Knicks management, already proven to meddle with running the team, was eager to sit Toney Douglas, no matter how bad he'd been playing, for Jeremy Lin?

I think D'Antoni is probably one of Lin's biggest supporters, and he's actually been sneaking in minutes for Lin for a week or two now. This wasn't the first time. He played really well in garbage minutes during one of their many horrible losses, and he began getting more and more time since.

Old
02-05-2012, 01:24 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

The new NBA Big 3...

Lin-Amare-Chandler.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I see flashes of Nash in Lin's game, but I also see a guy who, if he doesn't have Nash's quickness and incredibly high baskeball IQ, will soon be at the end of the bench again.

At this point, all I can really say is that he's given me a reason to watch the next game - which in and of itself is a dramatic improvement from a week ago.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
IanBegley Ian Begley
Can confirm sad news, 1st reported by TMZ, that Amare's brother died in a car crash. He'll b in Fla w/family tonite, won't play vs Utah.

Wow, RIP

Old
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
ecemleafs

time to build around jeremy lin.

Old
02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Lin is a beast on the PnR.

Next Steve Nash?

Old
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Lin = Sam Gagner

Old
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
darko

Who needs Nash/Paul/D-Will when you have Lin.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Emptyvoid

I'm not an avid basketball fan and have watched maybe 30ish knick games over the past two years. So is this just a really good stretch for Lin or do people here think he actually has a chance at developing into a good PG for us?

Old
02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
M0rbid

Lin is ridiculous.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I'm not an avid basketball fan and have watched maybe 30ish knick games over the past two years. So is this just a really good stretch for Lin or do people here think he actually has a chance at developing into a good PG for us?
He has a bright future as a quality backup PG or even starting PG.

He's not going to be Steve Nash, but he's got VERY good court vision and a high IQ, which is two of the most important aspects for a PG. I think he's the real deal. Golden State actually tried to sign him back after waiving him, after they failed to sign Deandre Jordan. His jumper sucks, but he's got some playmaking skills.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:56 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Wow, RIP
Sad news for Amare but the guy was a POS...In and out of jail since he was 17....Sexually assaulted a minor, beat up and ***** his ex-girlfriend, sold drugs near a school and physically assaulted a pregnant women.

Speeding at 1:42 in the morning with no seat belt a few hours after the super bowl and slamming into the rear of a semi????? he was either really drunk or really texting or both.

Hate to sound callous but it sounds to me like it was better off he was killed and not some innocent people on the road at the time.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Sad news for Amare but the guy was a POS...In and out of jail since he was 17....Sexually assaulted a minor, beat up and ***** his ex-girlfriend, sold drugs near a school and physically assaulted a pregnant women.

Speeding at 1:42 in the morning with no seat belt a few hours after the super bowl and slamming into the rear of a semi????? he was either really drunk or really texting or both.

Hate to sound callous but it sounds to me like it was better off he was killed and not some innocent people on the road at the time.
It was still his brother, and he still died.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
It was still his brother, and he still died.
Like I said, I'm sad for Amare. But I wont say "Rest in Peace".

Old
02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Gotta agree with GWOW here, but it really has no bearing on basketball either way.

Anyway, hopefully Carmelo takes a page out of Jeremy Lin's book and realizes you can have a big impact without having the ball in your hand every second.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:24 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It took D'Antoni THIS long to realize Lin could play?

Way to go coach.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It took D'Antoni THIS long to realize Lin could play?

Way to go coach.
I think you're being sarcastic but to clear the air, last night during the broadcast they mentioned how there hasn't been much practice time this year so he wasn't sure what he actually had in Lin. I can't blame a coach for not playing a guy he knows nothing about.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Kevin McHale and Mark Jackson both cut Lin in training camp. They must be morons, huh?

Old
02-07-2012, 09:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Kevin McHale and Mark Jackson both cut Lin in training camp. They must be morons, huh?
Er, it's not exactly like you named Greg Popovich and Larry Brown there, Sting. I mean, as others have pointed out, Golden State only cut Lin because they needed to make room to extend an offer sheet to DeAndre Jordan - and when that was matched, they then tried to re-sign him. And as regards McHale, hell, during his tenure as GM in Minny he quite frankly was the NBA managerial equivalent of a moron when it came to talent evaluation.

Look, I'm not sold as Lin as the long term answer yet. I want to see how he fares when he gets forced to his left or the D backs off entirely and forces him to shoot. But there's no denying that he runs the PnR well and has shown flashes of Nash-like quickness and court vision.

All I can say at this point is that I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out over the remainder of the season. At the very least he's likely got a good career as a backup in front of him - and there's still a chance that he'll prove to be a diamond in the rough. As I said in a previous post, I'm just grateful for a reason to start watching again.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Er, it's not exactly like you named Greg Popovich and Larry Brown there, Sting. I mean, as others have pointed out, Golden State only cut Lin because they needed to make room to extend an offer sheet to DeAndre Jordan - and when that was matched, they then tried to re-sign him. And as regards McHale, hell, during his tenure as GM in Minny he quite frankly was the NBA managerial equivalent of a moron when it came to talent evaluation.
Right, but McHale isn't a GM anymore. He's a coach, and as bad a job as he did with the T'Wolves, I'm pretty impressed by what he's doing so far in Houston. He's making Samuel Dalembert look like he isn't a worthless moron (until this week, anyway), which is an accomplishment for a guy who spent the first decade of his NBA career looking like he had absolutely no idea what his responsibilities on the court were.

And I love Jax as an analyst; I think he'll make a fine coach. Very heady player and one of the best creators of all-time.

Besides, the real reason those teams didn't lose any sleep over losing Lin is that they don't need PGs. The makeup of their rosters makes a little bit more sense than the makeup of this team's roster.

Regardless of how those teams ended up getting rid of Lin, the Knicks still ended up getting him. This is a guy who no one ever thought was getting a real shot. D'Antoni deserves credit, not blame, for going with him.

Quote:
Look, I'm not sold as Lin as the long term answer yet. I want to see how he fares when he gets forced to his left or the D backs off entirely and forces him to shoot. But there's no denying that he runs the PnR well and has shown flashes of Nash-like quickness and court vision.

All I can say at this point is that I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out over the remainder of the season. At the very least he's likely got a good career as a backup in front of him - and there's still a chance that he'll prove to be a diamond in the rough. As I said in a previous post, I'm just grateful for a reason to start watching again.
Lin is fine. Looks like a legit NBA player. Makes up for whatever he lacks in athleticism with brains. Understands how to play, even if he physically can't do everything you'd like him to. Could be a good back-up, for sure. Needs to improve his shot. I just can't stomach the laughable criticisms launched against D'Antoni, like blaming him for not realizing that Lin was "this good" until this point in the season. And when Lin has a few ****** games in a couple of weeks, it'll be D'Antoni's fault for staying with him.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The best part is that Lin dominated a game running the D'Antoni system without Carmelo and Amar'e.

Stilllll waiting for Carmelo to buy in.

Closed Thread