HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D-Step playing well

Old
11-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
D-Step playing well

Torts said after the game tonight that "Step is our best player in all areas right now". The kid just does not make any mistakes out there game in and game out. Great to see a young player playing so well. I would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

70-85 point player any one?And yes hes been playing hellahgreat

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:15 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

He has been good. He's playmaking, but he needs to continue with that. He needs to remain aggressive on the puck and not be afraid to make the smart play. He looks better than he did last year, but he still seems afraid to break out at times.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's on pace for 50 points.

After his horrible start to the season where I thought he was under the MDZ-esque sophomore slump, that'd be fantastic.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

11 points in the last 11 games is it now?

He's been fantastic. He looks much stronger then he did last season along the boards.

He's not very flashy, but he puts up the points. I keep going back to the Richards comparison. They are extremely similar players, but I don't see Stepan putting up 90 point seasons.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:55 PM
trilobyte

I just finished watching the game on replay.

The thing I love about Stepan is his consistency in the way he thinks about things. The fact that I wish he was a faster skater fades away into the background because I realize that Derek has already thought about that himself. He knows he has to be smart, use his feel (instinctive talent) for the game. That's what I love about his game. And he is intelligent enough to know that good defense means good offense. He must have had some good coaching along the way to go with his talent.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 05:27 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I felt one of the things "missing" from his game was the forecheck, but I saw him throw a good one in the washington zone in the 3rd period to disrupt a break out pass. checking ? yes ...

now he has to improve on his woeful 42% faceoff status. status ? yuck

his anticipation and "awareness" have been a pleasure to watch so far this season

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
msv957

Playing in a line with Gaborik will certainly help any player's game and confidence.

I still think Richards needs to be on the first line with Gaborik. He was brought here to be the #1 center.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post

I still think Richards needs to be on the first line with Gaborik. He was brought here to be the #1 center.
Well Cally and Richards seem to be developing some chemistry, so if they continue producing, and Gabby and Steps keep going, we might have a 1a and 1b type situation as far as first lines go. I don't think its that bad to split them up to get more scoring depth. They are together on the PP, and maybe if we need a goal late in a game you can ice a Step-Richards-Gabby line..

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Torts said after the game tonight that "Step is our best player in all areas right now". The kid just does not make any mistakes out there game in and game out. Great to see a young player playing so well. I would love to hear everyones thoughts.
I have been following Derek Stepan very closely since his wisconsin days and the thing that has stood out above everything about him is his hockey IQ and they way he sees and thinks the game. His game has improved in the areas of physicality and his forechecking. He is a very creative passer and always seems to be around the puck. He isn't the best skater, doesn't have the best shot and still doesn't hold his own on faceoffs but I firmly believe that Derek Stepan at age 21 will continue to improve his areas of weakness and he will solidify his areas of strength. His hockey smarts and maturity will lead him to a long and successful Rangers career where I believe his upside(with Kreider and ?) will be as a 2nd line center(for the time being) producing about 70+ points a year.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Hes not playing well,he is playing fantastic and whats even more special is its his sophmore season and he looks pretty polished already.The kid is a stud.I remember always hearing Brad Richards comparions.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:35 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo* View Post
11 points in the last 11 games is it now?

He's been fantastic. He looks much stronger then he did last season along the boards.

He's not very flashy, but he puts up the points. I keep going back to the Richards comparison. They are extremely similar players, but I don't see Stepan putting up 90 point seasons.
my post is way to similar and i didnt even read yours.Went right to reply,lol..Great minds think alike!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-27-2011, 01:01 PM
beastly115

I've also seen comparisons to Stastny and Pavelski.

I've noticed this season he seems to be stronger on the puck and throwing his weight around more.

I was expecting him to slump somewhat and would have considered matching his production from last season as a success. Glad to see him exceeding my expectations.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:11 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I've also seen comparisons to Stastny and Pavelski.

I've noticed this season he seems to be stronger on the puck and throwing his weight around more.

I was expecting him to slump somewhat and would have considered matching his production from last season as a success. Glad to see him exceeding my expectations.
I thought he was going to slump as wel and was worried what Torts was going to do with him. But he hasnt,hes been great for NYR

Old
11-28-2011, 08:48 PM
94now

He has became a critical element of this still fragile group. When he is missed in action we lose. Every time he plays well we win. Torts knows than and that is why he keeps his confidence high by praising his performance.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote