HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending Situation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
  #76
ScubaSteve*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
I haven't read this thread because I don't value anyone's opinion here, but I'm going to assume that there's unbridled optimism about Bachman's future HOF goaltending career going on here based on his one start, so I'm going to go ahead and tell you guys to tap the brakes. Being a marginal upgrade over Raycroft is a pretty low bar, and the Kings literally have the worst offense in the league.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
  #77
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I haven't read this thread because I don't value anyone's opinion here, but I'm going to assume that there's unbridled optimism about Bachman's future HOF goaltending career going on here based on his one start, so I'm going to go ahead and tell you guys to tap the brakes. Being a marginal upgrade over Raycroft is a pretty low bar, and the Kings literally have the worst offense in the league.
It's funny that almost everyone on these boards has the same opinion about you.

Why do you waste your time trying to troll us? Nobody takes you serious.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:47 AM
  #78
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 48,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I haven't read this thread because I don't value anyone's opinion here

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
  #79
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,510
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I agree that going up against LA wasn't exactly the best test for Bachman. At best, he is a new Dan Ellis. At worst, he is an AHL starter. I would say that Bachman is a pretty big step up from Raycroft, though, not just a marginal upgrade.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
  #80
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawz87 View Post
RAYSOFT ACTUALLY KNOWS HE'S GOT TO PLAY BETTER! He said after practice, I was scrambling, and I was coming out too far last night. He also let everyone know about his strengths which are reading the play and just staying calm. LOOL staying calm ? you swim around mostly every game Andrew.... he also said he's got to be play better, and make the big saves .

Heres the audio
http://dallasstarspr.wordpress.com/2...e-audio-12911/
Even so, Bachman's time is limited. When Lehtonen gets healthy, Bachman will be sent back down. Raycroft's job is safe for the rest of the season.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
  #81
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I haven't read this thread because I don't value anyone's opinion here, but I'm going to assume that there's unbridled optimism about Bachman's future HOF goaltending career going on here based on his one start, so I'm going to go ahead and tell you guys to tap the brakes. Being a marginal upgrade over Raycroft is a pretty low bar, and the Kings literally have the worst offense in the league.
Steve how could you do me like that?!?!

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
  #82
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 12,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I haven't read this thread
Stopped reading here because I don't value your opinion.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
  #83
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Stopped reading here because I don't value your opinion.
If you truly don't value his opinion, wouldn't you stop when you see Daniel Day Lewis. Noticing Scuba Steve as the poster would be an appropriate stopping point.

However, getting into the post at all seems like you are just punishing yourself.

This brings up a good question ... for me at least. Has Scuba Steve increased your hatred of Daniel Day Lewis?

For example, if you wanted to enjoy a night of Gangs of New York, would you be able to watch the movie without thinking about Scuba Steve?

That Scuba Steve is a powerful man if you're willing to deny yourself an opportunity to stare at Leonardo DiCaprio for a couple of hours.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
  #84
Brand New Stars
Registered User
 
Brand New Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney/C-Stat, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,292
vCash: 500
Don't worry Steven, no one would give a crap if we never had to read your garbage again.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
  #85
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I haven't read this thread because I don't value anyone's opinion here
I lol'd.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I agree that going up against LA wasn't exactly the best test for Bachman. At best, he is a new Dan Ellis. At worst, he is an AHL starter. I would say that Bachman is a pretty big step up from Raycroft, though, not just a marginal upgrade.
So after one NHL start you're willing to put a Dan Ellis type career ceiling on Bachman?...at best he's a platoon goalie on a not very good team? I'm not here to proclaim him our true and only savior but I don't see any legitimate way a person can, based on as little as we've seen, put an "at best" on him at this point.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
  #86
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Don't worry Steven, no one would give a crap if we never had to read your garbage again.
Unless I missed him telling ya'll his real name, it seems presumptuous to assume his name is Steven.

Maybe he's a huge Big Daddy and Adam Sandler fan. Plus, that could explain his cold dead heart. I mean, how would you feel if your hero was bringing this to the table:


BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
  #87
Brand New Stars
Registered User
 
Brand New Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney/C-Stat, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,292
vCash: 500
It was more of an insult than assumption that it's his full name. Belittling him such as he has done to everyone each time he posts on here.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
  #88
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,510
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
So after one NHL start you're willing to put a Dan Ellis type career ceiling on Bachman?...at best he's a platoon goalie on a not very good team? I'm not here to proclaim him our true and only savior but I don't see any legitimate way a person can, based on as little as we've seen, put an "at best" on him at this point.
Would you have preferred I say that he's at best Martin Brodeur and at worst Andrew Raycroft?

Sorry, I'm of the opinion that Dan Ellis was a decent goalie. Not 70 game starter material, not career backup material either. Like Hedberg. A platoon-ish journeyman goalie...

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
  #89
sharklife25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Park, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
regardless of what bachman's ceiling is, he certainly is a lot of fun to watch.

his athletic style is exciting and he makes a lot of saves based on his quickness and ability to move laterally.

he's been a helluva goalie and i hope we get to see a lot more of him so we can really see what he's capable of!

sharklife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  #90
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Would you have preferred I say that he's at best Martin Brodeur and at worst Andrew Raycroft?

Sorry, I'm of the opinion that Dan Ellis was a decent goalie. Not 70 game starter material, not career backup material either. Like Hedberg. A platoon-ish journeyman goalie...
I like where you went there, but I'm pretty sure he just meant lets not eliminate the idea he could be a starter.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:07 PM
  #91
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,438
vCash: 500
Although ... you could have gone more extreme ... like Brent Krahn instead of Raycroft.

If you're gonna go sarcastic, go all out.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
  #92
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,510
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I like where you went there, but I'm pretty sure he just meant lets not eliminate the idea he could be a starter.
Starting 41+ games is the definition of a #1 goalie, no? I don't think it's out of the league of possibility he's a 40-55 game goalie, which is where I put Ellis. But I doubt he'll be a 55+ game goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Although ... you could have gone more extreme ... like Brent Krahn instead of Raycroft.

If you're gonna go sarcastic, go all out.
I originally had put Dan Cloutier. Beachball Bachman does have a ring to it, though.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
  #93
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Would you have preferred I say that he's at best Martin Brodeur and at worst Andrew Raycroft?

Sorry, I'm of the opinion that Dan Ellis was a decent goalie. Not 70 game starter material, not career backup material either. Like Hedberg. A platoon-ish journeyman goalie...
My issue isn't with what you said it's with what you're basing it on. How many times have you personally watched Bachman play? How many NHL games has he had to prove or disprove ability.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
  #94
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
My issue isn't with what you said it's with what you're basing it on. How many times have you personally watched Bachman play? How many NHL games has he had to prove or disprove ability.
Well if that's the case than you could easily just base his observations on size. What was that stat they had? Only 6 goalies are under 6' tall in the league.

The odds are stacked against him. Based on watching him in college several games and a few AHL games, he's extremely competitive and fun to watch. Even though it's tough for smaller goalies, I wouldn't bet against him. I just will not be shocked if he's just a good backup or top AHL goalie.

I think a realistic best case scenario for Bachman is Marty Turco. He might have a very good yet unremarkable career for a good stretch. The second he loses a half step, the wheels will probably fall off.

Ellis is probably a reasonable projection though in reality.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:38 PM
  #95
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Well if that's the case than you could easily just base his observations on size. What was that stat they had? Only 6 goalies are under 6' tall in the league.

The odds are stacked against him. Based on watching him in college several games and a few AHL games, he's extremely competitive and fun to watch. Even though it's tough for smaller goalies, I wouldn't bet against him. I just will not be shocked if he's just a good backup or top AHL goalie.

I think a realistic best case scenario for Bachman is Marty Turco. He might have a very good yet unremarkable career for a good stretch. The second he loses a half step, the wheels will probably fall off.

Ellis is probably a reasonable projection though in reality.
Everything unbiased observers have said about Bachman leads me to believe Turco upside is there. I'm not a size gusher when it comes to goalies, that position is as much mental fortitude as it is about skill, reflexes, size or whatever other factor you want to consider.

Ellis may be a reasonable projection and I'm not here to trumpet the guy too much but it just seems almost poetic how everything has worked in his case. He's a mid round guy which as a goalie means less than nothing to me because all he's ever done at any level is have success. The team kept drafting goalies (rightly), the main two of whom are big tall guys of higher draft pedigree (again, I could care less...look at any goaltending category and look where they were drafted). All the while little ol' Richard Bachman gets nominated for the Hobey Baker his rookie season along with numerous other awards. He has gone through the progression making stops at the USHL level, NCAA, ECHL, AHL, and now NHL.

If somebody watches the guy and can pick apart his game to the point where they've analyzed and come to the conclusion that he will never be a 55+ game starter in this league then fine. I just don't get why some people feel the need to look at his body of work and then look at his size and knock him down a few notches because he's not built like Anders Lindback. Sports are about results and I could really care less if Bachman isn't the new 6 ft. 3 in. prototype; that alone (or even primairly) will not be what will determine what type of professional career he has.

One last thing...if I read what you said correctly then I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Turco's career. There were 4-5 solid years in there where Turco was a top 3-5 goalie in the NHL. He burned out horribly and terribly quickly but during his prime there was nothing unremarkable about Turco's career.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
  #96
crawz87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Someone who has helped his adjustment to the NHL, especially off the ice, is his new goaltending partner, Raycroft. The two have become fast friends and that camaraderie has benefited everyone.

“Bachs is a great guy. He came up a little bit last year and now this year, and he works hard,” said Raycroft, who surrendered 10 goals on 52 shots over his last two starts before Bachman relieved him in San Jose. “He’s a good guy, he fits in well and everyone likes him a lot. He’s a good goalie, obviously played really well in the minors the last few years and he does a good job here. I enjoy his company, so I help show him where to go on the plane and where to go in the hotel, those kinds of things, but on the ice, he knows what he’s doing, he does a good job at it. I don’t help him in any of those things, but we just kind of hang out and I try and make him feel as comfortable as possible.”


“He’s a great guy,” reciprocated Bachman. “He’s a good guy to watch, technically, he’s outstanding with his positioning and all that. There’s a lot you can learn from him and also, he’s just a great guy to be around. We support each other out on the ice when we’re doing drills and if I have any questions, I can talk to him with no hesitation there.”

Bachman also noted that Raycroft has always been someone he’s looked up to, since he was in high school in the Boston area when Raycroft played for the Bruins and won the Calder Trophy as NHL Rookie of the Year in 2003-04.

“I used to watch him play and we actually have the same agent, so I’ve heard a lot about him coming up,” said Bachman, who attended Cushing Academy for three years before leaving to play in the USHL in 2006-07. “So it’s kind of cool to sit next to him in the locker room and pick his brain a little bit and just see him out there. It’s pretty cool. It felt a little weird at first, but he’s an awesome guy, I couldn’t ask for a better guy to be here with.”
Seems like Raycroft is someone Bachman has looked up to since highschool, and is getting along very well with him.

crawz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:52 PM
  #97
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Everything unbiased observers have said about Bachman leads me to believe Turco upside is there. I'm not a size gusher when it comes to goalies, that position is as much mental fortitude as it is about skill, reflexes, size or whatever other factor you want to consider.

Ellis may be a reasonable projection and I'm not here to trumpet the guy too much but it just seems almost poetic how everything has worked in his case. He's a mid round guy which as a goalie means less than nothing to me because all he's ever done at any level is have success. The team kept drafting goalies (rightly), the main two of whom are big tall guys of higher draft pedigree (again, I could care less...look at any goaltending category and look where they were drafted). All the while little ol' Richard Bachman gets nominated for the Hobey Baker his rookie season along with numerous other awards. He has gone through the progression making stops at the USHL level, NCAA, ECHL, AHL, and now NHL.

If somebody watches the guy and can pick apart his game to the point where they've analyzed and come to the conclusion that he will never be a 55+ game starter in this league then fine. I just don't get why some people feel the need to look at his body of work and then look at his size and knock him down a few notches because he's not built like Anders Lindback. Sports are about results and I could really care less if Bachman isn't the new 6 ft. 3 in. prototype; that alone (or even primairly) will not be what will determine what type of professional career he has.

One last thing...if I read what you said correctly then I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Turco's career. There were 4-5 solid years in there where Turco was a top 3-5 goalie in the NHL. He burned out horribly and terribly quickly but during his prime there was nothing unremarkable about Turco's career.
I don't think he has Turco upside IMO. Maybe eventually a starter in the NHL but Turco like you said was a top 5 goalie in the league, and was Vezina worth a couple years.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:04 AM
  #98
MB94
@MBFarina94
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,556
vCash: 500
If Bachs does start tonight (which is expected after what Gully said), chances he will get the game on Friday too. There's no way I see Raycroft playing back to back games.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:27 AM
  #99
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
If Bachs does start tonight (which is expected after what Gully said), chances he will get the game on Friday too. There's no way I see Raycroft playing back to back games.
I don't think it's a question of if anymore. Gulutzen was not non-committal in that quote. He said Bachman is starting tonight. I guess the only way he doesn't start is a pre-game injury.

That said. None of Dallas' goalies have played on back to back nights this season so it is probably just as certain that Bachs goes against the Isles or New Jersey.

Seeing as how Razor hasn't really done well at all on the 2nd night of a back to back (and this is actually going to be the 3rd in 4 nights), if they really wanted to test Bachman the New Jersey game would be a big one.

I'm actually hoping that is how it plays out, but I guess we'll see. Seeing how Raycroft performed against the Isles last week, I would not be shocked to see Bachs get the Thursday game instead.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
  #100
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Glad Bachman is living up to the hype I posted on him.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.