G: Pleased with the effort and intensity. Rookies were great!
B: It's their first complete game since the Panthers (a month ago)
U: They played a team in complete disarray and looking to tank their coach
One complete game a month won't cut it in the NHL. This team still has problems that haven't/won't go away overnight.
I'll cheer the good when it happens but intend to keep the GBU in perspective.
And we've played more ugly hockey of late than good.
Exactly, absolutely, positively
Just Got home from the game...
Kassian with his first NHL goal
Nice rebound game for Enroth
Adam looked better tonight
Sekera was solid
The AHLers didn't look out of place
Didn't lose any more regular starters to injury tonight
Leino with turnovers and pucks going where he didn't intend most of the night. I wish he would get a longer stick, even just 4-5 inches.
I didn't like Roys game tonight
That Capitals team is so talented (players) and yet they are playing so demoralized, and soft. I was waiting for them to turn it up and take over the game. I truely thought the Sabres were going to lose 5-1. I was shocked we won, honestly shocked.
this thread should be a praise Sekera thread. he was ****ing mint
He, Ehrhoff (27 minutes tonight!) and Leopold were all ****ing phenomenal. I thought Grags' mistakes came from playing like 8 (24 compared to Rej's 17) minutes more than he should be, and given that, he was good.
The aforementioned defensemen
All the kids
Gerbe's hustle on the power play. A noticeable difference from what Stafford was bringing to that unit the past couple games besides the Bruins contest.
McNabb and Sekera with some nice hits.
Hecht was great, even if he, Vanek and Pominville haven't had the best of chemistry. Ideally, we can find a center for that line and move Hecht to a line that can be more content to just possess the puck (I pine for the days of Hecht-Kennedy-Grier taking 2 minute shifts in the offensive zone just cycling on fools in early 09/10).
Poms/Vanek finding ways to get on the board, even if they weren't great overall.
Credit to Ruff for a great bounceback game. I'll be on the fire everybody kick until games like this stop being the exception, but you gotta start somewhere.
Roy was eh.
Vanek-Hecht-Pominville still somewhat out of sync.
Leino's lack of finish and occasional overhandlings. Hopefully he'll keep doing what he's doing and the actual points will come eventually. Dude could have had 2G/2A tonight.
Grags getting caught on the Chimera breakaway.
Washington's effort. I can't tell if we played that much better or they were that much worse.
Ovy/Backstrom -4 each.
Took 24 hours for the reaction around here to completely change... jeez.
- All of the recent call-ups. None of them looked out of place, and I'd say they were all positives for sure. Nothing from Brennan really stood out, which is a good thing for a defenseman. McNabb was physical and did not look nervous or fidgety in the slightest. Kass was very physical and although it was a lame duck, a goal is a goal. Szczechura (finally have that down) could not have done a better job on both Luke's goals.
- EHRHOFF. 27:30 of ice time? Holy ****. There was one play in particular where Ovie had it in the slot, and the Hoff laid out right infront of him trying to block it. Luckily for us Ovie didn't actually get the shot off, cause he's a guy we can't afford to lose. Absolutely loving his play.
- Leino-Adam-Szczechura. I'll post this in the line combos thread, but it looks like Ville and Luke should stay together and once Chewy is down again, I'm curious to see who they play with. That shot at the end would've been really nice for Leino to cash in on.
- The scorekeeper's assists. I wouldn't be surprised to see Leino taken off the 2nd Luke goal (although I'm less sure about this), but I'm fairly positive Ehrhoff shouldn't have gotten one on Hecht's goal. Looked like he tried to clear, Washington got it, Gerbe knocked it loose then fed Jochen. But I'll take it.
- Sekera. Played more like his early in the year version, and the hit on Laich was nice.
- Enroth. They didn't really have very many legit scoring chances but he stood tall, hard to blame him for the PS.
- Gerbe/Hecht looks like a very, very good PK unit.
- The first line.. I know they got the second goal, but really, 8/10 goalies are able to hold onto that puck. If this was a losing effort I'm sure they'd get a ton of hate.
- The reaction on the Caps board here, read some of the posts after the game and wow... If this forum was as bad as it was after one loss to Columbus, can't imagine what it would be like playing like they are.
- The football numbers we had out there tonight. Took me a while to grow on 57 and 63, but now we've got 72, 54, 58, 78, 81.
- Alex Semin... I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope that Darcy/Terry don't even consider him for half a second in the offseason. Always appreciated his game because of his insane skill but I don't want him anywhere near Buffalo. I think he may be a top 10 player in the league in terms of skill, and his wrist shot is one of the best in the league, but the lack of effort is incredible. Boudreau probably isn't helping, but still. Semin's probably the better player in his respective league but to me he's the Braylon Edwards of the NHL.
Wrong decision IMO.Building any franchise 1 selfish player is a bad move, see Thrashers & Kovalchuk.
BAD example. Without Kovie, Atlanta didn't have much. Without Ovechkin, the Caps are still a pretty talented group, like Pittsburgh.
Trying to make some of the most talented players in the league abandon what they're especially good at, for the sake of playing a system, is an indication that the system needs to be tweaked. You don't kill off what has been the most explosive offense in recent years.
The Caps were fun to watch. Now they're just a shell of their former selves. Sad.
And by the way, to the poster who says the Sabres need some motivation to play better...like Roy being injured last season? NO WAY did the team rally around Roy, rather the team played better WITHOUT Roy. Derek is a fairly selfish player who gets his own points while his linemates didn't. The real talent also gets their points, but their linemates do too!
Why don't the Capitals always wear these jerseys?
Alex Ovechkin - The -4 is bad (worst since '08), but the way he just stood there in front of the goal on Adam's second was hilarious. He hardly even moved his stick. Just keep eating McDonald's and doing the same move junior defensemen can now defend, it might work eventually.
Alex Semin - I pity whichever team signs him based solely on his skill level. Total garbage.
- When was the last time Buffalo had more than one excellent open-ice hit from more than one defensemen in a single game?
- Welcome back Luke Adam. He needs to be fired up more often. Keep it up kid. Definitely some good chemistry last night, though the Caps d-zone play was atrocious.
The Bad -
- The Grate 8. What in the hell is he doing out there? Oh, that's right, he's bigger than the coach and the way to show him up is to be a complete waste of space on the ice. I'm sure he's hanging his hat on showing a 2nd game rookie the rafters, but he was putrid.
- Backstrom wasn't much better.
- Nine regulars out to get this sort of effort?
The Ugly -
- Saying it again: Nine regulars out to get this sort of effort?
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Whitmore with 4 tonight so far in Roch.
Someone wants the next recall.
Originally Posted by aceface33
Both Sabres games I attended they've won 5-1. Sign from the hockey gods?
Clearly this needs to be communicated to Ted immediately. They need you ace.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle