HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How many games for Pacioretty? [UPDATE: 3-game suspension]

Old
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
He's our #2 forward behind Plekanec, I wouldn't go as far as to call him a star though.
Star no, but relevant to our chances of scoring. If we get skunked in California, might as well throw in the towel, worst possible timing.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Fair point. Then again I might counter that the New York Rangers aren't exactly irrelevant as a franchise, and the guy he hit plays for the Panthers, he's not exactly Letang of the Penguins.

Maybe he just generically gives three games to non-stars?

What he is to the Habs is completely irrelevant to his status to the league at large. How many people outside of Montreal think Pacioretty is a significant player? If Pacioretty wasn't that dude that got his neck broken by Chara and got the silly Quebec police to investigate him, I'm not sure too many casual fans would know he existed.
Perhaps to the casual fan. Most posters on HF, and people who follow hockey pretty close would realise that Pacioretty was one of or our best forward for the last 50-60 games he's played.

Just like I know that Dustin Brown is a great player for LA, I hardly consider him a star though?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:01 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
And then what about the Wisniewski suspension? I dunno, MathMan, the more I think about this, the less I think there is merit to this suspicion of some subconscious decision-making at work.
I thought Shanahan was brilliant in the pre-season, right up to the point when GMs started anonymously complaining in the media. Then the Malone-Campoli incident hit, stinking of "oh look, some hits are okay", and it's only been downhill from there.

If he'd stayed the course, I'd be ecstatic, and I'd applaud the Pacioretty decision. He didn't.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:01 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Star no, but relevant to our chances of scoring. If we get skunked in California, might as well throw in the towel, worst possible timing.
My thoughts exactly.

He was hands down our best goal scorer over the course of his last 20 games last season and so far this season. If we don't band together and certain players (CAMMALLERI I'M LOOKING AT YOU) don't pull their heads out of their ***** and contribute, we will get skunked in Cali and our season will be wasted.

I fully expect to see Markov in the lineup in an attempt to soften the blow of losing Pacioretty for the next 3.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Perhaps to the casual fan. Most posters on HF, and people who follow hockey pretty close would realise that Pacioretty was one of or our best forward for the last 50-60 games he's played.
I agree, but do you think that matters to NHL disciplinarians?

Stardom is about hype, not ability.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:03 PM
NewHampshireHabsFan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NewHampshireHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
Shanny is full of dog doo.. this ticks me off to no end. Shanny is an idiot.. plain and simple.. I have no other words to describe how stupid and biased this decision is. It's obvious he favors certain teams over others and its disgusting. Stupid moron

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Mr. Hab

Pacioretty almost dies from the Chara shove to turnbuckle (Chara gets nothing).
Malone's vicious hit to Campoli's head (Malone gets nothing).
Pacioretty receives 3 games (I didn't agree with Pacioretty's hit but I disagree even more with Chara and Malone not getting anything...doesn't make any ****ing sense).

Pacioretty: thought he would get a warning or 1 game... 3 games is way too much since Shanahan is already way too inconsistent. Why couldn't he continue being inconsistent?! ('cause Pacioretty is a Hab? no, that would be a ridiculous explanation).

Campbell was a disgusting joke
Shahahan is already a ****ing joke.

Why can't the NHL get a ex-NHLer who played a clean game?
Trevor Linden....Joe Sakic......Steve Yzerman.....Wayne Gretzky...... M.Lemieux,etc...

Marc Savard could be a good candidate to protect players from headshots and severely punish players (10 game suspensions and more).

Why is Shanahan the disciplinarian? (no better option?).
Who's next? Tie Domi as a disciplinarian?
(what the **** is going on here?).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-29-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
I was expecting 1, perhaps 2.

Kinda makes you wanna give up sometimes, seems like no matter what, we always get the shaft lately....
No, we should never give up.

It is obvious that the League has little or no respect for Molson, Gauthier, Martin or the fans of the Canadiens.

Why? Is it because the Habs will simply "take it" time and time again? Is it because fans called 911 after the Chara hit? Is it because of the impression that this organization is above it all? Is it because of the French only mandate for management and head coaches while the NHL is not biased regarding language?

There are lots of reasons why this is happening to Montreal.

**** is dumped on us and we take it all over and over again. I dont expect for this to change anytime soon.......But never give up.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

He was hands down our best goal scorer over the course of his last 20 games last season and so far this season. If we don't band together and certain players (CAMMALLERI I'M LOOKING AT YOU) don't pull their heads out of their ***** and contribute, we will get skunked in Cali and our season will be wasted.

I fully expect to see Markov in the lineup in an attempt to soften the blow of losing Pacioretty for the next 3.
You only insert Markov when he is 100% healthy and ready to go. Inserting him in to lessen the impact of losing Pacioretty when he is not ready will be a big big mistake.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Yeah, because if the Habs are 7 points out of a playoff spot with 50+ games to go, there's NO WAY they can make it up. NONE.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Guy Caballero

Your suspension is directly proportional to the salary you make and the salary of the guy you hit. That's it in a nutshell. The NHL has lost all credibility as an objective judge of action. 100% politics every time. They should just come out and admit it instead of keeping up the charade that they value fairness.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
thebigbea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth7 View Post
Fair suspension. Still a little confused as to why Wolski's hit didn't warrant a suspension.
i agree.. this is a fair suspension... but wolski and lucic got nothing... that's just unfair..

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
icerocket

People are actually surprised/angry that there was a suspension? Come on...

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:26 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
They think he should have suspended for a least 1 period.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It has more to do with past non-suspensions.

They should appeal it, at least until we get a few guys back.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
RC51

So Patchs did not lift his elbow, did not change his aim in order to hit his head, did NOT take an extra step increase his speed just before the hit.
It's clear he did not intend to hit his head.
So he gets 3 games anyway just for hit to head.

Ok the bar is set.

If any Bruin ( for an example) hits a hab head and then you can add any of the things above ( elbow, extra step or change direction, no change of direction ) 3 game becomes 6 games or 9 games automatic.

Watch what happens over the next month

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I don't think for a second that they're trying to see the Habs fail. I think that, subconsciously, they just really don't care about them. The Habs don't have hype, don't have stars, and aren't even relevant in the standings. They're in a boat with a mass of other unremarkable clubs, really. It's not like suspending a player from an "important" club, and that plays, probably just subconsciously (at least, I hope). But I don't think the Habs are being singled out, no.
Last year the Habs were the 8th-best draw on the road. Original six team, Habs have some cache but sadly you're right the Habs are a saturated franchise, Bettman's boner is for the desert, FLA and Cali. So although we fund the league they don't think much of us.

Anyway Pax deserved it, but if he wore yellow and black doubt he'd have got it.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Gary320

Quote:
I'm more surprised people are 100% convinced there is a conspiracy. If the roles were reversed and Letang got 0 games. I'd be ****ing pissed.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
It could have gone both ways, not really surprised about this. Did Shanny issue a video explanation? I'd be glad to see it.
Anyways it's gonna be tough without him, let's hope for the best.
It'll go our way next time.

Last edited by Aspirine: 11-28-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Saw the video.
Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
SlipperyPete

I've said before, so I'll say it again to remain consistent - I don't have a problem with the suspension itself, because it really is important for the NHL to start taking head injuries seriously.

However, Shanahan's reasoning on this one seems a little off. I don't think for a second that Pacioretty "picked" Letang's head to be the primary point of contact, as Shanahan claims. Patches was trying to lay a hit on a guy that was leaning into his shot, and I'm sure that Pacioretty actually could have thrown his shoulder into him without catching part of the head. Obviously the lesson is that he shouldn't have tried to make a big hit in that circumstance. But Shanahan's reasoning that Pacioretty was deliberately chose to make the head the primary point of contact doesn't ring true.

This seems especially clear when you consider Pacioretty's actions immediately after the hit. He was obviously concerned, apologized as soon as he could, and accepted responsibility for the hit. Basically, he acted like a man should who has made a mistake (but a mistake it was). Unfortunately, this seems to have worked against him. It seems that players who show remorse are much more likely to be punished than those that are dishonest and don't own up to their mistakes, and instead try to make excuses, which for some reason the NHL office accepts.

Even though I'm fine with the suspension itself, this is what concerns me about this ruling. The NHL seems to be punishing good character and rewarding players that don't take responsibility for their actions.

SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I'm more surprised people are 100% convinced there is a conspiracy. If the roles were reversed and Letang got 0 games. I'd be ****ing pissed.
If the roles were reversed and Letang got 0 games... would you really have been surprised?

Old
11-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Its not the suspension that people are pissed off about...its the inconsistancy of Shanny making the calls. If your going to suspend someone like this you need to suspend the others who make just as blatant calls.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Protest the Hero

Haven't ventured into the main board, what with how the last thread went.

I imagine it's just a bunch of "LOL Habs fans" and "call 911" right?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:41 PM
habamillions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Its not the suspension that people are pissed off about...its the inconsistancy of Shanny making the calls. If your going to suspend someone like this you need to suspend the others who make just as blatant calls.
yeah exactly. lucic injures one of the best goalies in the legue when he is wearing a full cage. zero suspension. malone on campoli zero suspension. and the one that was basically the same bogosian he got 2,500$ fine. its just not consistent.

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote