HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Controversial OT Goal (Pens-Habs Nov. 26/11)

Old
11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
That doesn't matter.... once you've had 2 calls go against you even though correct, the refs owe you the 3rd.... or at least, that's my understanding.
Is there a Golden Ratio formula on scoresheets? Usually refs call things as they happen, at least that's my understanding.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
So Price didn't have it frozen for even a second? From reading the beginning of this thread, I'd have thought it was five seconds. Evidently people see what they want to see sometimes.
The important part of this isn't the blown whistle, it's the lack of goaltender interference on Neale. Notice his stick jammed under Price's arm, that's how Letang got the puck and that's how Price was turned around preventing him from reacting.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:02 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Terrible call (or non call) by the ref. Should have been blown dead long before it was poked loose.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:15 AM
LetsGoBears

Kunitz's two goals were correctly called off. Also, Pens fans screaming about blown five minute majors is freaking hilarious!

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:30 AM
WhiteMandingo

If Price actually had it covered and it his teammates knew how to defend his net, you guys wouldn't be crying right now.

WhiteMandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Terrible call (or non call) by the ref. Should have been blown dead long before it was poked loose.
Double Post.

Last edited by Syrinx: 11-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
If he had it trapped at all (apparently he didn't have it trapped very well), it was trapped for less than a second. How long is "long before it was poked loose" when he had it trapped less than a second? Should they blow it dead as soon as it hits him?

You can try to deny it was that quick but pictures don't lie. The puck is visible at 2:54 and in the net at 2:52. How in the world can you call that a quick whistle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post

Old
11-28-2011, 10:53 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
If he had it trapped at all (apparently he didn't have it trapped very well), it was trapped for less than a second. How long is "long before it was poked loose" when he had it trapped less than a second? Should they blow it dead as soon as it hits him?

You can try to deny it was that quick but pictures don't lie. The puck is visible at 2:54 and in the net at 2:52. How in the world can you call that a quick whistle?
Nevermind when it's in the net.

It's visible at 2:54, and loose at 2:53 (It's actually Neal that jars it loose)

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Whats boggles my mind is how the refs are brutal for both teams.

- Missed tripping on Subban
- Eller being called for being stronger
- Pacioretty-Letang non-call
- The OT goal

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:02 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

at the 2:55 and 2:54 isnt the ref going to blow the whistle.. i thought if he was making the movement it is no goal?

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Whistle should have been blown. There's absolutely no way the ref could see the puck at that point (for a few seconds). Not to mention Price had it covered at the very last moment before it was dug out from under his glove.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
torrencemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Honestly, that was a ******** call.

The ref couldn't see the puck. Even if he did, Price had control of it for enough time for him to blow the whistle.

And if not, the goal should have been waved because Neal should have had a goalie interference penalty when he came from behind the net and skated right through Price, who was off-balance and didn't have the chance to make the save.

James Neal in no way shape or form skates "through" Price. If anything I think Dupuis stick may have hooked Price's glove arm up and should probably have been a no goal. But seriously everyone needs to relax a bit no ref is perfect and the play still looked active from his stand point.

If you look at the play you can still see the puck in Carey Price's pads. As Price goes to officially cover it up Letang swipes the puck toe drags and ends it. No whistle you continue play, thats nothing new. Kids are brought up from an early age to play til the whistle. That said how the Ref doesnt blow the play dead from the inability to see the play is a rough call.

Also at the 7 second marker of the clip you can see the puck as Price is going to cover it, so the whole 3-6 second covering is bull considering Price's glove wasnt even near the ice until the 6 second mark... jeeez

torrencemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Coach Brisebois*

That's Neale, not Dupuis, it's after Letang steals the puck but before the shot, he hooks him under the arm and skate into him.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
ponder

I like the Pens quite a bit more than the Habs, but this was a bad call, it really should have been blown dead. If I was a Habs fan I would have been pissed at the time, although of course bad calls happen constantly, you just have to accept it and get over it. The puck should have been blown dead, it wasn't, game over. Habs players should really have been playing to the whistle here though, the play SHOULD have been blown dead, but it wasn't. The Pens kept playing but the Habs got lazy, you have to reply on yourself and play to the whistle, you can't just assume the refs will blow it dead, because bad calls do happen quite frequently.

Last edited by ponder: 11-28-2011 at 12:10 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:13 PM
fighterfoo
We do it big...

The referee is in bad position to see the puck, so he goes by the players reactions to "see" if the puck is loose.

1) if the Pens are jabbing at the puck and no Canadien takes offense to it, the puck is probably loose.
2) if the players stop jabbing at the puck, it's probably tied up. whistle.
3) if the Pens are jabbing at the puck and a Canadien takes offense to it, it's probably tied up. whistle. damage control.

the ref has to loose sight of the puck when he's in good position, not when it's just shadowed by a body. and Price had the puck for maybe a half-second to a second tops. but he didn't tie it up well, which is why letang was able to get it loose so easily. if the ref was on the other side of the ice, the whistle probably goes, but the fact that it doesn't there isn't too much of a travesty. Price had it UNDER his glove. if the puck is IN the glove and Letang bats it loose, different story.

crappy situation? yeah. crappy call? 50/50.

fighterfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

The funny thing that is lost in all of this, is that the Habs blew a 2 goal lead. If they don't blow the lead, there is no OT and no controversy.

If I was a Hab fan I would be more pissed at my team for blowing the lead (especially letting Staal walk in all alone with only 4 minutes left).

You are also taught to "box out" in Pee wee and to protect your goalie in that situation so it can't be poked loose. I saw two Hab players just standing there while Neal and Letang kept playing to the whistle. That is unacceptable, especially in OT.

I guess it is easier to blame the refs than your favorite team.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:21 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
The funny thing that is lost in all of this, is that the Habs blew a 2 goal lead. If they don't blow the lead, there is no OT and no controversy.

If I was a Hab fan I would be more pissed at my team for blowing the lead (especially letting Staal walk in all alone with only 4 minutes left).

You are also taught to "box out" in Pee wee and to protect your goalie in that situation so it can't be poked loose. I saw two Hab players just standing there while Neal and Letang kept playing to the whistle. That is unacceptable, especially in OT.

I guess it is easier to blame the refs than your favorite team.
yes, they blew a two goal lead but the fact remains that we were still in it and doing fine in OT until this ****ing blown call..... so yes we blew a 2 goal lead, but doe's that mean we don't have a right to complain when we get screwed in OT?? i dont think so..

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

So should teams just not play defense during an odd-man rush, convinced it's going to be offside? Hypothetical, yes. But you play until the whistle is blown.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
yes, they blew a two goal lead but the fact remains that we were still in it and doing fine in OT until this ****ing blown call..... so yes we blew a 2 goal lead, but doe's that mean we don't have a right to complain when we get screwed in OT?? i dont think so..
Bad calls happen all of the time in every sport. Blaming the refs is the easy way out.

No matter how much people complain it won't change the fact that the Habs blew a two goal lead and their players got lazy and failed to protect Price when he was trying to cover the puck.

You box out and stand between your goalie and the opponent until you hear the whistle - you never assume. If the Hab players on the ice did their jobs correctly, Neal would of never pushed the puck out, Letang would of never scored and Hab nation wouldn't be blaming the refs.

It is all about accountability, period. Easier to blame the refs I suppose.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Beerfish

The thing that rankles me not being a fan of either team is that in the last two years I've seen at least a half dozen goals that clearly should have counted when the refs blew a play down in which the puck was not covered at all.

The refs are simply awful in the NHL the last 2 to 3 years with no consistency but plenty of incompetence.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
How is it a blown call if Price maybe had the puck covered for a fraction of a second? There is photo-evidence that if he ever had it covered it wasn't a long, drawn-out freeze like many here have expressed. It wasn't even a second. Count that out in your head and tell me it was a blown call. After you do that, count that out the next time you watch a game and count how many whistles are blown in that first fraction of a second. It is always frozen for a couple seconds before the whistle is blown.

You ought to be blaming your defensemen for not blocking out. Neal went right past Gill (I believe) to get to the puck from behind the net. That's where your blame lies.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

I don't know what to make of the pics, they tell me it wasn't a drawn out play but when I watched it I thought it was. One thing I do know is the ref was in terrible position, wasn't even racing over to get into good position.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:19 PM
TalkingHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Bad calls happen all of the time in every sport. Blaming the refs is the easy way out.

No matter how much people complain it won't change the fact that the Habs blew a two goal lead and their players got lazy and failed to protect Price when he was trying to cover the puck.

You box out and stand between your goalie and the opponent until you hear the whistle - you never assume. If the Hab players on the ice did their jobs correctly, Neal would of never pushed the puck out, Letang would of never scored and Hab nation wouldn't be blaming the refs.

It is all about accountability, period. Easier to blame the refs I suppose.
Believe it or not, sometimes refs are to blame. That isn't to say Montreal shouldn't have done something different, it is to say the ref messed up. You can say bad calls happen often and while true, saying it doesn't justify the bad call. Players and fans have a right to be pissed off when a ref decides the outcome of a game based on a poor decision. It is about accountability, more than just on the players.

TalkingHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Game was almost 2 days ago. Get over it.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
guapo23

Are we still talking about this ?
It's over.
Move on.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote