HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens team stats

Old
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
topshelfie

vCash: 500
I was surprised about a few things today looking at our team stats.

Goals Per game(tied for 7th@ 2.96)
Goals against per game (30th @ 3.40)
5 on 5 ratio (25th @ 0.83)
PP 5th @ 20%
PK 25th @ %79.5

Also, with our goal in the 3rd period last night against Dallas, I believe we are the highest scoring team in the 3rd period.

The goals for have definately surprised me a bit, as well as our low pk% when it has done really well the last month or so. Our goals against per game is high, but take away those 2 games where we lost 7-2 and 7-1 we would be middle of the pack.

What can we do better and how do they do it ?

Last edited by topshelfie: 12-02-2011 at 07:28 PM.
topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:27 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Goaltending MUST be better.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Grewuponthesens

Team just needs to be more consistent in every facet of the game. Goaltending, defense, and a lesser extent offensively as when one player is inconsistent another player steps up offensively.

Grewuponthesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Iamok
#Panic

We're 2 points out of 13th right now. When people will realise we aren't that good of a team is beyond me. The goaltending/defence won't get much better because it wasn't that good in the first place. Heck, the same can be said for the offence outside of Spezza/Michalek.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
We're 2 points out of 13th right now. When people will realise we aren't that good of a team is beyond me. The goaltending/defence won't get much better because it wasn't that good in the first place. Heck, the same can be said for the offence outside of Spezza/Michalek.
Goaltending was better last season, what's to say it can't improve to at least average or slightly below average instead of 30th in the league?

Defense will likely improve as the rookies put things together, the PK has already shown signs of improvement.

The secondary scoring has been pretty decent, not sure why you would pick that of all things, we have 8 players in double digit points, which is average to good.

The standings are tight, so yeah we could drop fast, but the team has shown lots of potential, and has been trending well. Were not likely to win the division, but we are good enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
agent2421

Quote:
Okay the sens haven't been so great but they've been impressive this year... I wasn't expecting much and they've been delivering. Sure the Sens are 2 points away from 13th if you look at it that way... but they are also 1 point away from 7th, and 4 points away from 6th...

This will be an interesting year but every game is important and there's a good chance we can make the playoffs.

agent2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:23 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
The goals for have definately surprised me a bit, as well as our low pk% when it has done really well the last month or so. Our goals against per game is high, but take away those 2 games where we lost 7-2 and 7-1 we would be middle of the pack.
The team gave up 30 goals in the first 6 games of the season (avg = 5.00) and 56 in 19 games since (avg = 2.95). They gave 6+ goals three times in the first 6 games and once in the past 19. They are improving. It won't be great, but I think they should be able to distance themselves from the spotlight of last place.

Quote:
We're 2 points out of 13th right now. When people will realise we aren't that good of a team is beyond me.
2009-10 Sens; Last Playoff team.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Reg/Fol - Fisher - Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - C. Neil
Reg/Fol - Winchester - Shannon
Cheechoo

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

Elliott

There are 4 significant players missing from the 09-10 playoff team: Fisher, Kovalev, Kelly and Volchenkov. Smith has progress a lot towards replacing Kelly and Gonchar's having a great season, replacing the impact that Volchenkov had that year.

The 20 players listed above played 50+ games for that team and 11 are still here. The other 5 missing players were Elliott, Campoli, Ruutu, Shannon and Cheechoo.

I'm not seeing a big enough difference here to completely rule out the playoffs.

Quote:
The goaltending/defence won't get much better because it wasn't that good in the first place. Heck, the same can be said for the offence outside of Spezza/Michalek.
Kuba, Phillips and Gonchar have improved quite substantially from their play last season and from the first 6 games of this season.

Anderson is still an improvement over Elliott. It just remains to be seen how big of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
The secondary scoring has been pretty decent, not sure why you would pick that of all things, we have 8 players in double digit points, which is average to good.
Here's the old theoretical average scoring lists for forwards and D-men:

Rk/Avg/Pts ... Player/Rk/Pts
1A (1-30) - 15th - 26 ... Spezza / 24th / 23
1B (31-60) - 45th - 20 ... Michalek / 31st / 21
1C (61-90) - 75th - 16 ...

2A (91-120) - 105th - 14 ... Foligno / 95th / 15
2B (121-150) - 135th - 13 ... Smith / 130th / 13
2C (151-180) - 165th - 11 ... Greening / 165th / 11 ... Alfie / 167th / 11

D-Men
Rk/Avg/Pts ... Player/Rk/Pts
#1 - 15th - 16 ... Karlsson / 1st / 22 ... Gonchar / 12th / 17
#2 - 45th - 10
#3 - 75th - 8 ... F. Kuba / 63rd / 8

The average for all 9 positions is 141 points from the 'average' and we've gotten 141 points from our 9 guys.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Xspyrit

A while ago, I created a thread so we could have all stats and paces discutions in one thread. Here's the link :

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1020115

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
2009-10 Sens; Last Playoff team.

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Reg/Fol - Fisher - Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - C. Neil
Reg/Fol - Winchester - Shannon
Cheechoo

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

Elliott.
Basically :

Fisher vs Smith
Kelly vs Condra
Kovalev vs Filatov
Ruutu vs Greening
Shannon vs Butler
Cheechoo vs Daugavins

Volchenkov vs Cowen
Campoli vs Gonchar
Picard vs Rundblad

Elliott vs Anderson
Leclaire vs Auld

However :

Alfie is still declining
Spezza should be maturing
Michalek is more healthy
Karlsson is becoming a beast

And the rest of changes is a big downgrade in experience

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-03-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote