HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jim Fox just made a GREAT point about goalies during Kings/Hawks game

Old
11-26-2011, 11:37 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
I don't feel too sorry for the shooters who, believe it or not, are professional athletes.

They don't see any net to shoot at, but miraculously more than half of tonight's 11 NHL games saw at least one club score 4+ goals.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Goalie guy

Umm I have played goal for over 20 yrs !!! And I can tell you that my c/a , my blocker trapper and pads where all bigger in the 80's and 90's . They put a stop to the Roy 2xl c/a and 6 x jersey with the wing pits . But yet the style of play of a net minder has evolved to the point where there are more good goalies out there and people don't like it ! I say o well deal with it ! I would much rather watch a 2 to 1 game with goalies standing on there head than a 10 to 8 game or a 12 2 blow out . we can't beat the goalies boo hoo , better shot place meant perhaps ? More skilled forwards ? Bigger nets ? Really ? Smaller goalies ? really ? Hey lets give them regular shin pads and a street hockey stick . How bout that ?

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:39 PM
NeelyWasAWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Survival of the fittest. Big goalies survive in the new NHL because they can take up more net. I don't buy this no place to shoot crap. As a person who watches Kessel almost every game I see him finding plenty of space to snipe the puck into.
You know I was watching a Pens game the other night, and the opposing goalie made a save and Bob Errey was talking about what a great job he did to make himself look big on that shot.

We've gone from, "Kick save and a beauty" to ,"What a great job he did to make himself look BIG."

OH JOY.

NeelyWasAWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyWasAWarrior View Post
You know I was watching a Pens game the other night, and the opposing goalie made a save and Bob Errey was talking about what a great job he did to make himself look big on that shot.

We've gone from, "Kick save and a beauty" to ,"What a great job he did to make himself look BIG."

OH JOY.
Goalies made themselves look big in the past, and goalies make great kick saves today. You're seeing what you want to see.

If you're going to use isolated anecdotes to try and prove a point, you should know that they're just that - anecdotes.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
The NHL should focus more on rules that are gonna create offensive hockey and create more rushes and PPs by being consistent and getting rid of hooking/holding instead of trying to increase scoring in a phony way by making goaltending equipment or something smaller. Yeah goals will go up but the amount of offense generated won't, it'll just be more of that offense getting converted.
20 years ago when the goaltending equipment grew tremendously, don't you think that was a 'phony' way to decrease scoring?

We just want equipment back to the size it used to be. Scoring is down because goaltending equipment size is up. Goalie improvement has been artificially enhanced.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
NeelyWasAWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
Umm I have played goal for over 20 yrs !!! And I can tell you that my c/a , my blocker trapper and pads where all bigger in the 80's and 90's . They put a stop to the Roy 2xl c/a and 6 x jersey with the wing pits . But yet the style of play of a net minder has evolved to the point where there are more good goalies out there and people don't like it ! I say o well deal with it ! I would much rather watch a 2 to 1 game with goalies standing on there head than a 10 to 8 game or a 12 2 blow out . we can't beat the goalies boo hoo , better shot place meant perhaps ? More skilled forwards ? Bigger nets ? Really ? Smaller goalies ? really ? Hey lets give them regular shin pads and a street hockey stick . How bout that ?
Bias much.Of course NHL goalies, former beer league goalies and goalie fans are going to say no to more scoring and bigger nets. I'm not surprised here.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Bias much.Of course NHL goalies, former beer league goalies and goalie fans are going to say no to more scoring and bigger nets. I'm not surprised here.
Everyone here is biased. You're biased. I'm biased.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:42 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:

OH JOY.
You do understand that goalies "look big" when they play at the top or outside the crease to shut off the angle. It's not because he's 6'5 and is wearing big equipment. And if you're not seeing good kick saves today, then you must not be watching.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:43 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:

OH JOY.
Because it's easier for a goalie to be positionally sound and deny a good shooting angle then to... not be positionally sound and be forced to make a harder save? The same way it's easier for a forward to be in the right place and tap a puck into the net than to be floating around and have to shoot from bad places. Regardless, goalies stretch out their pads, show off their gloves, stack their pads and make crazy acrobatic moves to stop pucks day in and out.

christ you're either a really (bad) persistent troll or you never played any sports in your life

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NeelyWasAWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUBLUES09 View Post
You keep eluding to these "safer" pads. Should we sacrifice the athlete's health and safety for more scoring?

I do know that chest protectors have gotten bigger, and for good reason. But leg pads have been reduced from 12 to 11 inches wide. They have increased in length, but even in the last couple years the NHL has been measuring all goalies and there is a maximum length.
No I said Bigger nets. Goalies are kept safe, and shooters are given some net back that they lost over the past 20 years. win win.

Old
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
But you'll disregard his knowledge on the size of goalie pads? Bias much?

Old
11-26-2011, 11:44 PM
dronald

Why does the NHL need higher amounts of goals anyways? Is the NLL really that much more exciting than the NHL?

That's what I thought.

dronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:45 PM
NeelyWasAWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Because it's easier for a goalie to be positionally sound and deny a good shooting angle then to... not be positionally sound and be forced to make a harder save? The same way it's easier for a forward to be in the right place and tap a puck into the net than to be floating around and have to shoot from bad places.

christ you're either a really (bad) persistent troll or you never played any sports in your life
I don't think you understand. I want more athleticism in the goalie position. I want the goalie to be challenged more, I want more reflex saves. I want the goalie to not be able to just sit on a five hole save, much like a hitter in baseball would be able to sit on middle in, if MLB was to make home plate half the size. I want to see less blocking style of goaltending and more athleticism. WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT THAT?

Old
11-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Survival of the fittest. Big goalies survive in the new NHL because they can take up more net. I don't buy this no place to shoot crap. As a person who watches Kessel almost every game I see him finding plenty of space to snipe the puck into.
You're talking about the best pure sniper in the game today. There's 700 other players in the league too, though.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:47 PM
NeelyWasAWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUBLUES09 View Post
But you'll disregard his knowledge on the size of goalie pads? Bias much?
I want expert opinion and not an amateur opinion. I respect a guy like Jim Fox's opinion over some guy on hfboards. You can disagree with that, but that's just me.

Old
11-26-2011, 11:48 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
You're talking about the best pure sniper in the game today. There's 700 other players in the league too, though.
So let's let the best perform like the best.

The game is fine, back off.

Old
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
I don't think you understand. I want more athleticism in the goalie position. I want the goalie to be challenged more, I want more reflex saves. I want the goalie to not be able to just sit on a five hole save, much like a hitter in baseball would be able to sit on middle in, if MLB was to make home plate half the size. I want to see less blocking style of goaltending and more athleticism. WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT THAT?
I don't think you understand that it takes an extremely high amount of athleticism to play today's b-fly style and the goaltender position in general. It doesn't look like what it used to be, because it's more effective.

Old
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:
Alright, put on some pads and let's see you "block" your way into victory.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:49 PM
dronald

Quote:
I want expert opinion and not an amateur opinion. I respect a guy like Jim Fox's opinion over some guy on hfboards. You can disagree with that, but that's just me.
Maybe email Jim Fox rather then posting on HFboards then? Lol.

Old
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:
Your name is "NeelyWasAWarrior" and you don't see enough athleticism in net? Have you watched a Bruins game in the past 5 years?

Seriously, this idea may be one of the worst ever.

Yeti of the Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shao01

I might be wrong but isn't the average goals scored per game up this season so far?

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Goalie guy

Quote:
All I am saying is more skilled players all around , Not just forwards and defense but goalies as well . The goalies now are better then ever before , a lot more goalie off ice and on ice training has gone a very long way . The thought of the old days the fat slow kid that cant skate very well will make a good goalie has gone bye bye . It is just not true , the goalie has to be the best skater on the ice , in the best shape on the ice no 2 min on 5 off for the goalie . go give it a try some time . your feelings may be drastically turned in the other direction .

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Bruizer99

pads should come to the top of the knee max and should be narrowed even more than the 11 inches. no cheater on the glove i just dont see how that is protection for the goalie

Bruizer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
El Tigre Chino

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2234/index.htm

I think this article on the death of the slap shot really shows the evolution of the game to what it is right now.

How often do players have the time and space to wind up and pick corners nowadays. Scoring goals has become more about quick release and catching the goaltender out of position. The article makes a good point about stick technology. The new composite sticks allow you to still get a quick hard shot with a wrister or snapper that doesn't require a lot of space to release.

El Tigre Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hyack57

Quote:
This is a REAL problem and a REAL flaw in the NHL. He said that players now, when they shoot, all they see is goalie. They have nowhere to shoot. It's to a point now that shooters shoot knowing they won't score and are just shooting hoping for a rebound. Coaches tell them to do that.

And he said this tonight during a game in which there was a 2 on 0 and NO SHOT ON GOAL. The player, "missed it wide". How many friggen times do you hear that in today's NHL? Way more than when I was growing up.

Something has to be done. If their not going to make the goalie equipment smaller, make the nets bigger. I don't care. The NHL has so much potential and it's wasting it away with this nonsense.

Luongo is sorry for being so awesome with his big pads. He will try to allow in more goals for you to be entertained.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote