HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul has axe to grind with Ducks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2011, 08:16 AM
  #26
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbunnygirl View Post
who did we send to anaheim for him again?
Beauchemen.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:20 AM
  #27
puckbunnygirl
Registered User
 
puckbunnygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: northern ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
yea... i think we won that deal :p

i was hoping it was the blake or toskala deal tho lol.

oh well, at least beauch can be a serviceable player.

puckbunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:32 AM
  #28
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR
 
Blayzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbunnygirl View Post
yea... i think we won that deal :p

i was hoping it was the blake or toskala deal tho lol.

oh well, at least beauch can be a serviceable player.
we also got Gardiner a pick in that deal

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:54 AM
  #29
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,498
vCash: 500
Ducks liked the 2nd rd pick in the same draft 43rd overall Justin Schultz more than Jake Gardiner, they also drafted Fowler so Jake fell into our laps so to speak.

I still don't know how or why Murray included him in the trade, Gardiner has so much potential and poise, interesting now that the Leafs have 3 1st rd picks from the 08 draft in their line up at the moment.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:40 AM
  #30
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Ducks liked the 2nd rd pick in the same draft 43rd overall Justin Schultz more than Jake Gardiner, they also drafted Fowler so Jake fell into our laps so to speak.

I still don't know how or why Murray included him in the trade, Gardiner has so much potential and poise, interesting now that the Leafs have 3 1st rd picks from the 08 draft in their line up at the moment.
Because Lupul, at the time, was considered more of a throw in. Gardiner was the price to pay for taking on Lupul's contract. Which at the time had 9.5m+ left on it I think?

Without going to find articles on it, I'm pretty sure even Burke said that the goal was to acquire Gardiner in the trade. He was the 'prized piece'. I think they liked Lupul and liked the potential for Lupul to pot 20 in a secondary role, but I don't think they expected the type of impact he has had. I also don't think they expected Gardiner to step up like he has. I remember them saying how he might have needed half a season in the AHL first.

I don't blame Anaheim for moving him. He wasn't exactly healthy since they acquired him from Philly, so I can imagine how that would be frustrating for a playoff team. They watched him suffer through injury, and the door opened for them to acquire a top-four defender in Beauchemin for a playoff push (while shedding cap space in the process). They saw an opening to move the contract and took it. Moving Gardiner was from a position of strength for them.

Good news for the Leafs that he seems to be motivated, and that he found chemistry with Kessel. It's these types of moves (Phaneuf, Lombardi, Lupul) where the Leafs have been able to flex their financial muscle + acquire extra assets for helping another team out of their cap issues. It's the type of deals Burke (trading cap space) has been wanting in the NHL for years - just a bit of a style to it.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
  #31
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Because Lupul, at the time, was considered more of a throw in. Gardiner was the price to pay for taking on Lupul's contract. Which at the time had 9.5m+ left on it I think?

Without going to find articles on it, I'm pretty sure even Burke said that the goal was to acquire Gardiner in the trade. He was the 'prized piece'. I think they liked Lupul and liked the potential for Lupul to pot 20 in a secondary role, but I don't think they expected the type of impact he has had. I also don't think they expected Gardiner to step up like he has. I remember them saying how he might have needed half a season in the AHL first.

I don't blame Anaheim for moving him. He wasn't exactly healthy since they acquired him from Philly, so I can imagine how that would be frustrating for a playoff team. They watched him suffer through injury, and the door opened for them to acquire a top-four defender in Beauchemin for a playoff push (while shedding cap space in the process). They saw an opening to move the contract and took it. Moving Gardiner was from a position of strength for them.

Good news for the Leafs that he seems to be motivated, and that he found chemistry with Kessel. It's these types of moves (Phaneuf, Lombardi, Lupul) where the Leafs have been able to flex their financial muscle + acquire extra assets for helping another team out of their cap issues. It's the type of deals Burke (trading cap space) has been wanting in the NHL for years - just a bit of a style to it.
Yeah that was how I remembered it also, Burke used his position of cap space to get near ready already drafted players. I have to give Burke a lot of credit for using what was available to him to expedite the rebulid, he didn't want the Edmonton tank and draft method and came up with a unique model, you can see the results with our prospects pool and where we are in the standings. Lupul has been a pleasant surprise, Burke did say at the time he liked to bet on people and he believed in Joffrey thus what looked like a salary dump turned into a quite a trade, one that helped both teams, especially our team.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:22 AM
  #32
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,773
vCash: 500
I think lupul is talking this up too much. Now if he doesnt show up in a big way, he will look like the big idiot.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:25 AM
  #33
ECanuck
Registered User
 
ECanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
Fire Wilson!

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:37 AM
  #34
kesleaf
Registered User
 
kesleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Fire kessel!

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
  #35
Darylman
Registered User
 
Darylman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I think lupul is talking this up too much. Now if he doesnt show up in a big way, he will look like the big idiot.
I sort of agree. Commenting on it once earlier in the year was ok, but it seems like a bit much when you keep chirping so much even Carlyle is like "I always said he was a good player..."

If he plays hard and gets some points tonight, he looks amazing, if he has a no show, he looks that much worse.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
  #36
ppaul092
Twiggy Aliens
 
ppaul092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
hire wilson!

ppaul092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
  #37
OptimusForever
#teambernier
 
OptimusForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Im fine with him talking some **** cause it makes him even that much more motivated to get out there and make things happen. Even if he doesnt score you know he will be working hard and laying some hits

OptimusForever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
  #38
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 500
Fire Wilson, then hire him again for less money!

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:51 AM
  #39
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Re-sign Wilson!!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:54 AM
  #40
Midna
Registered User
 
Midna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesleaf View Post
Fire kessel!

Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:55 AM
  #41
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,498
vCash: 500
I wouldn't want to lose Eakins to another organization, I'm starting to think this guy is our future coach to lead this young team into contention the next 1-3 years, the window is there. While our best players are all in their primes of their careers. Dallas is making a believer out of me with how the call ups play, and the Marlies continue to not miss a beat with an undermanned roster.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:37 AM
  #42
threeGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I wouldn't want to lose Eakins to another organization, I'm starting to think this guy is our future coach to lead this young team into contention the next 1-3 years, the window is there. While our best players are all in their primes of their careers. Dallas is making a believer out of me with how the call ups play, and the Marlies continue to not miss a beat with an undermanned roster.
Re-read the first post then come back and edit your post buddy.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:47 AM
  #43
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
Re-read the first post then come back and edit your post buddy.
Read posts #38 and #39, and do the same.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:51 AM
  #44
Newfie John
Hall of Famer
 
Newfie John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
I'm really pulling for Lupul to have a huge night. He has points in 8 of his last 9 games.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
  #45
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
Fire Wilson, then hire him again for less money!
then fire him again

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:57 AM
  #46
Woll Smoth
Registered User
 
Woll Smoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Re-sign Wilson!!
Resign Wilson !!

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:04 PM
  #47
VO5
Registered User
 
VO5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Leafs Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kule Aid Man View Post
He does sound quite bitter doesn't he?

Well hit em hard loops!
He was prob more fed up because of how many times he's been traded and the last time he didnt have a fair shake in his mind.... but im sure most players who get traded have extra motivation when facing a former squad.

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:08 PM
  #48
Younghockey94
Registered User
 
Younghockey94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Leafs Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
I don't blame Lupul at all for being angry at the Ducks. With that being said, I hope he lights them up tonight.

Younghockey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:13 PM
  #49
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I think lupul is talking this up too much. Now if he doesnt show up in a big way, he will look like the big idiot.
I'm not too worried about that happening, to be honest. Lupul has been ultraconsistent this year, whether it shows up on the scoresheet or not.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:17 PM
  #50
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbunnygirl View Post
who did we send to anaheim for him again?
Some free agent we signed for nothing.

I also think they gave us some top end prospect.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.