HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valtteri Filppula - What's Going On?

Old
11-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Valtteri Filppula - What's Going On?

He seems to be doing fine atm...I haven't seen Wings playing so tell some:

Is it the line?

is he doing something different now?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Axel H (Flashy G)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
He seems to be doing fine atm...I haven't seen Wings playing so tell some:

Is it the line?

is he doing something different now?
For all the criticism Zetterberg has been receiving as of late, he and Filppula demonstrate a lot of chemistry in the offensive zone. Furthermore, Filppula's been creating opportunities, finding open lanes, and actually shooting the puck more often, a criticism of his in past seasons, and finding the back of the net on rebounds. If Detroit could find another top six player to play with Zetterberg and Filppula, or if Cleary can break out of his slump, the line would be even better. Filppula has been pretty good since pre-season, so perhaps this is his true breakout year. That, or he's just riding a really hot streak at the moment, which is more likely.

Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Tomas W

He seem to like his winger role, he heads for the net, not circleling around. Also of course, he's confidence rises with the sucess. He is kind of stepping up from the shadows now, and taking a larger responsiblity for DRW's fortunes on the ice.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Filppula
Jurks

He’s more aggressive than I’ve ever seen before, and I think a big part of that has been his switch to the wing. He’s really starting to take pucks to the net, go to the dirty areas to get scoring chances. He’s flying out there, whilst still playing an elite defensive game. He’s been the star of the 2nd line, and he’s helping out Zetterberg too.

I honestly think he will keep it up, he looks focussed this year to achieve great things, in every game he is a factor.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:24 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

He's having his long awaited breakout year IMO. Injuries have hindered that in the past, but now *knock on wood* he stays healthy and proves his true worth.

He's got speed, good hands and a very solid two way game. He's going to be just fine. 20 goals, 60 points would be a nice start, if he gets more than that, that would be awesome.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Yemack

he is at his best when he is away from the board. (most wings are)

I think the headshot ban is helping him somewhat. A lot of Wings are cutting across the middle lately. rather than turn towards the board and get trapped by bigger players.

also i agree with other reasons above.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Syckle78

I was honest to God coming to make a thread about him having a break out year after looking at the Stall thread and then looking at flips stats. He is on pace for around 25 goals and 85 points at the moment, if he keeps this is up it would be HUGE for the Wings going forward.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Flowah

Filp is legit. I think that's clear now.

What has accounted for the difference?

I see several changes.

1. Linemates. He has consistent linemates for one, and he's playing with top talent. That's just going to help. Period.

2. His strength seems better. One of my major complaints last year was that he would get knocked off the puck very easily. That is just NOT true this year. He's more like Dats now, which is never a bad thing! Was it some sort of training in the off season? Gotta be. MMA?

3. Stick handling. How many times have we seen Filp get stripped in years past? He'd always make the move a half second too late and the defender would poke check it. He's not doing that this year. He's always had good hands and less good decision making. This year, both are good. His moves are successful and we are seeing huuuuge dividends from it.

4. He's playing a winger/center. He's got experience on both, so does Z, so they can interchange pretty easily. Like others have said, this seems to have resulted in him going to the net far more often and shooting like a boss. Doesn't hurt that Z has some good play making skills too.

This is his year. He is putting up the points, but more than that, he just looks better. Way better. Stronger, more decisive, more confident. His play is noteworthy and consistent and has been one of our top forwards all season. This is the Flipper some of us knew was there and others hoped Holland was right about. Welcome!

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Paatos

Flip seems to have gained some confidence, but is still able to miss an empty net from a few feet, maybe through some hesitation. He has the tools to keep this level of play, no doubt.

And I don't really understand all the flak that Zetterberg gets, even though he is slumping as far as points are concerned, he's still one of the most intelligent players out there. and the Flip & Z combo should be kept together as long as everybody stays healthy. Add Hudler to the line and with some patience, good things will come.

Paatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Flowah

He's getting criticized because he looked incredibly slow, like Homer slow, for the first 15 games at least. And he hasn't been playing that smart hockey. He's made some very visible mistakes. Datsyuk was off the scoresheet for a decent stretch as well, but people could tell that he was working hard and just not getting the bounces. That's not the case for Z. He just looked lazy out there.

He's certainly picked up in the last 4-5 games though.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
It's simple: he's not playing center.

He's stated when he plays center he feels he needs to be the first one back and didn't like to take chances so that he wouldn't slip on his defensive responsibilities.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post

He's stated when he plays center he feels he needs to be the first one back and didn't like to take chances so that he wouldn't slip on his defensive responsibilities.
Yes, as others have stated the most likely explanation is playing him on the wing. He has always played center prior to this season and he's been a very defensively responsible pivot and it definitely limited his offensive output. Mike Babcock said they were going to play him as a winger this year and it's no surprise he's putting up great offensive numbers. In the past when he's played on Pavel Datsyuk's line he's also had some of his best production.

So I think we'll continue to see him play on the wing but I can also see him play some center late in games when we are trying to lock down a lead late in a game. He's also second to Pavs in FO win percentage although Helm and Z take more draws than Filppula.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
14ari13

Playing with talented players/top 6
Playing the wing
Attacking the net
Confidence

Seems like Wings players peak in late 20s.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paatos View Post
Flip seems to have gained some confidence, but is still able to miss an empty net from a few feet, maybe through some hesitation. He has the tools to keep this level of play, no doubt.

And I don't really understand all the flak that Zetterberg gets, even though he is slumping as far as points are concerned, he's still one of the most intelligent players out there. and the Flip & Z combo should be kept together as long as everybody stays healthy. Add Hudler to the line and with some patience, good things will come.
Outside of a couple people that ALWAYS rag on Hank no matter what I fail to see all the flak he is getting. I think most of us that have mentioned him have questioned whether or not he is starting to decline and what he has left in the tank. I do not think this is unfair to ask of a player that is on the wrong side of 3o, has taken a beating, and has a history of back problems. I know we are used to seeing out players play at a high level for just under forever in their careers, but not everyone is going to hold out that long.

Anyways, this is a thread about Flip, he has been amazing this year and hope he keeps it.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post

I think this may be part of it. I never have liked him at center because on the Wings, with Dats and Z as the top C's, that meant Flip had to play wing to be in top six, and that probably was a better use of his skills (and pay).

Oddly, I really like Hudler and Flip together. I feel like they're very good at finding open ice with each other.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think this may be part of it. I never have liked him at center because on the Wings, with Dats and Z as the top C's, that meant Flip had to play wing to be in top six, and that probably was a better use of his skills (and pay).

Oddly, I really like Hudler and Flip together. I feel like they're very good at finding open ice with each other.
Why is this odd? They've played together in GR, played together since coming to the Wings and have very good chemistry. Whether it's been Fil, Hudler and Franzen or Samuelsson or Cleary they've been effective.

I like Filppula on the wing because it allows him to play in the top 6 and be more offensively effective.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
DRWCountryClub

I'm not sure this is just a hot streak, like someone mentioned.

Filppula started the season hot, then kind of slumped, and has now been playing great again for a long stretch of games. This is natural for any player, they can't always be on top of their game.

Just that for a guy like Zetterberg and the length, it's scary, but for Flip, he's shown that this production level is more the norm so far this season.

So happy for him.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I like Flip on the wing because I always used to compare him Jere Lehtinen

11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Xvash2

D and Fil have both picked up their confidence and as a result their skill is showing more. You can tell when Datsyuk and Fil are on their games, they make moves. Notice how for the first 17-18 games of the season you saw hardly any dekes from Datsyuk. Now he's making moves and getting better shots/passes, his production is going up. Its the exact same for Fil.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Why is this odd? They've played together in GR, played together since coming to the Wings and have very good chemistry. Whether it's been Fil, Hudler and Franzen or Samuelsson or Cleary they've been effective.

I like Filppula on the wing because it allows him to play in the top 6 and be more offensively effective.
Because they're rarely used together, but I seem to remember that they always do really well together.

Old
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Because they're rarely used together, but I seem to remember that they always do really well together.
I seem to remember them playing together a lot. Hudler - Filppula - Samuelsson/Franzen/Cleary has been used a ton throughout the years.

Old
11-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I seem to remember them playing together a lot. Hudler - Filppula - Samuelsson/Franzen/Cleary has been used a ton throughout the years.
I meant in the past couple of years. Hudler's best year had him paired with Flip and Sammy, or Flip and Cleary, iirc.

Old
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
D and Fil have both picked up their confidence and as a result their skill is showing more. You can tell when Datsyuk and Fil are on their games, they make moves. Notice how for the first 17-18 games of the season you saw hardly any dekes from Datsyuk. Now he's making moves and getting better shots/passes, his production is going up. Its the exact same for Fil.
It bears mentioning here that Flip was tearing it up early in the season on a line with Franzen and Hudler. Datsyuk actually wasn't producing much until he was paired with Filppula. So if anything, Flip is helping bring Pavel back into sync, not so much the other way around.

As an aside, apparently Dobber Hockey thinks it's cool to make people pay to use their formerly free line combo tools nowadays. Guess I'll never be going to that site again.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
I meant in the past couple of years. Hudler's best year had him paired with Flip and Sammy, or Flip and Cleary, iirc.
I think we'll see it more throughout the rest of the year with Filppula and Hudler looking for new contracts.

Old
11-27-2011, 05:11 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Then it makes perfect sense to put Hudler with Abby and Helm, right?

Nice being right sometimes...

Hudler with top 6 minutes/linemates gets two assists, Cleary in a checking role gets a goal, finally.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote