HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Valtteri Filppula - What's Going On?

Old
11-29-2011, 06:24 AM
SunDin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
D and Fil have both picked up their confidence and as a result their skill is showing more. You can tell when Datsyuk and Fil are on their games, they make moves. Notice how for the first 17-18 games of the season you saw hardly any dekes from Datsyuk. Now he's making moves and getting better shots/passes, his production is going up. Its the exact same for Fil.
This is so true, they are the first players on this team you can see when they are on or off.. Both are so talented.

Have Filppula learned some moves from Datsyuk or have he always been this type of player?

SunDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDin View Post
This is so true, they are the first players on this team you can see when they are on or off.. Both are so talented.

Have Filppula learned some moves from Datsyuk or have he always been this type of player?
I think Fil and Helm have picked up a bit of Datsyuk's style. Fil is obviously more skilled but Helm is also starting to hold onto the puck a bit longer than he did earlier in his career.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:30 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Not quite. I'm of the belief that Pavs, Mule, Z and Fil are all locks as top 6 guys. Bert is doing well on Pavs' line but none of us have any idea how long that will work out. Hudler had one nice game on Z's line last game. So I'm skeptical Bert and Huds are going to be able to stick in the top 6. I hope I'm wrong but history says that's what will happen. With that being said one legit top 6 guy would help out immensely. A second would be great and would give us 6 surefire top 6 forwards but how likely is that to happen?
I think Cleary had some kind of injury so far this season. His style is better suited for the playoffs. It is way too early into the season to write off Hudler, Cleary and Bertuzzi. I think we have to wait another 20 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I think Fil and Helm have picked up a bit of Datsyuk's style. Fil is obviously more skilled but Helm is also starting to hold onto the puck a bit longer than he did earlier in his career.
Last game or 2nd last, when on PK it looked like Datsyuk, even the announcer said Datsyuk instead of Helm.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I think Cleary had some kind of injury so far this season. His style is better suited for the playoffs. It is way too early into the season to write off Hudler, Cleary and Bertuzzi. I think we have to wait another 20 games.
He entered the season with an injury that they said would take 4-8 weeks to heal, but he would play through it. Something upper body if I remember right. My guess is playing with it is hurting his ability to heal properly. Back when we had healthy forwards, it didn't make a whole lot of sense that he was playing through it. I like Cleary he is a tough guy, but the guy always has some sort of injury. Remember hearing the story a couple years ago he played the back half the season with an injury that he couldn't even walk up stairs with. I think when Mursak gets back he should be given a week or two off to get fully healthy. His play is suffering and he just doesn't look right.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:08 AM
nik jr

hockey news has an article about filppula

Quote:
Valtteri Filppula steps up on offense for Red Wings

“The next guy they have there who’s going to be like that is (Valtteri) Filppula. He’s getting there; he’s like a young Pav. I don’t think he has the same offensive flair, but he’s young and he’s learning from the right guy.” – NHL scout, 2009.

Filppula, 27, is suddenly scoring and already only five points off his career-high mark of 40, set in 2008-09. So what does Datsyuk, always the joker, think about his young comrade finally excelling in the scoring department?

“I tell him be quiet, I need the glory. Be quiet.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20120111

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Redwingsfan84

That shot he had for Detroit's first goal was a doozy. It was a great follow up to Vrbata's.
Flip is one of the MVP's this season.

Redwingsfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I really hope he can keep this up for his career. If he can become a consistent 55-65pt player I'd love to see him re-signed for another 5 years.

But I really hope he can keep it up.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I really hope he can keep this up for his career. If he can become a consistent 55-65pt player I'd love to see him re-signed for another 5 years.

I think the goal pace he probably won't be able to sustain simply due to his high shooting percent right now at over 20%. Unless he starts increasing his shot totals most likely his shooting percentage in future years will hover around the norm and his goal pace will dip a little bit.

Regardless even if this is a career year where he puts up 65-70 pts, I think for most part as long as he stays as a wing in the top 6 I'm pretty sure for the next 5-7 years of his career he should be able to maintain a 55-60 pt pace if he remains healthy.

The question is, if he maintains his current pace and puts up 65 to 70 pts at the end of the season, do you try and extend him in the offseason now, or do you wait until next season and see if he repeats. If he repeats then he becomes quite an expensive player to resign. I'd love for Holland to try and get him extended this offseason for another 4 or 5 years at around a 4 million cap hit. With the cap hit going up every year 4 million dollars actually seems like good value even if he is only putting up 50-55 pts a season after this year.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

Filppula is going to be re-signed no matter what.

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:32 AM
DarkReign

Scanned the thread looking for HiHD before saying this.

Contract year playing on the wing.

Unless the Wings keep him on the wing for his next contract, I have doubts he'll live up to it. He's looking at $4 million a year if he gets 25+ goals and ~70pts.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post

Unless the Wings keep him on the wing for his next contract, I have doubts he'll live up to it. He's looking at $4 million a year if he gets 25+ goals and ~70pts.
It's not his contract year, next year is.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
RedMachine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

Agreed, he's just the kind of player that helps you win. At what cap hit would you resign him.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:

That's actually worth a good 5 million. At least 4.5. Look what Fleischman/Laich/Versteeg got. Although some are over producing now, the contract years they weren't near 70 point players.

If they could sign Flip long term at $4 million I doubt they hesitate. Especially with the cap going up.

Last edited by DRWCountryClub: 01-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.
DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:

So, a $1 million raise? Completely fine with that.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
DRWCountryClub

Let's be honest here.

In a full season(70+ games) with top six minutes(without having to be a shut down center) and PP time I doubt Flip reverts back to under a 50 point player. He also raises his game in the play offs.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Syckle78

He just seems so much more confident and willing to go for it offensively. He is imposing himself on the play on a consistent basis like he only did in chunks before. As long he keeps that mindset and stays healthy, I do not see why he would drop back off offensively. Maybe he he just realizes that the Wings need him to be a major part of the team and an impact player on offense and decided to step up.

And that Datsyuk quote... I tell him be quiet, I need the glory. Be quiet. How can anyone not love that guy, I really hope we get to see him on 24/7.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
He just seems so much more confident and willing to go for it offensively. He is imposing himself on the play on a consistent basis like he only did in chunks before. As long he keeps that mindset and stays healthy, I do not see why he would drop back off offensively. Maybe he he just realizes that the Wings need him to be a major part of the team and an impact player on offense and decided to step up.

And that Datsyuk quote... I tell him be quiet, I need the glory. Be quiet. How can anyone not love that guy, I really hope we get to see him on 24/7.
Yeah Datsyuk is gold.

Old
01-14-2012, 09:08 AM
nik jr

filppula has also become a bit more physical.

i did not see that part of that game. too bad gordie howe saw that shameful game.

5:40 of 2nd video

i think filppula and zetterberg were wrong that filppula had never scored with a slapshot.

5:08 and 5:36

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:36 AM
silkyjohnson50

With 7 games remaining, who could have possibly guessed that Filppula would be leading the team in scoring?

Obviously the injury bug has had an effect on that, but regardless, this is finally the Filppula that so many have wanted to see. And while many of us predicted that he'd be the "breakout" player for Detroit this season, i don't know if any of us actually thought he'd be this good. He looks so much more confident and poised with the puck this season. And while many may assume that Detroit's postseason chances are even worse than last season because they didn't acquire a top 6 forward, Filppula's development could be just what we needed.

Hopefully he and Z can continue their recent play into the playoffs, and if they do, look out Western Conference.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:24 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

There is no way Filppula is not extended for less than 4.5 unless they give him a long term frontloaded deal ala Franzens. I'm thinking 5 years at 4.75

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Finnpin

Nike Commercial - Break The Spell

Window in Helsinki:

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post

Window in Helsinki:

That is really sweet.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post

Window in Helsinki:

Thanks for the post couldn't tell how much of it was shot in Detroit and parts of Finland, but it seemed they were really playing up the desolate parts of Detroit. I mean would it have hurt to show even one nice area?

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Thanks for the post couldn't tell how much of it was shot in Detroit and parts of Finland, but it seemed they were really playing up the desolate parts of Detroit. I mean would it have hurt to show even one nice area?
Hip hop music (that's Finnish artist Gracias btw) and "hoods" match quite well and looks like at least 95% shot in Detroit.

The video is shot by company called Cocoa and they do great videos all the time..they also make music videos for artists.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote