HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The real culprit is the Power Play; Weber

Old
11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
lets trade all of our young, cheap players with their best seasons still ahead of them, for overpaid 3rd or 4th liner vets...

briiiilliant

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Protest the Hero

What happened to his shot? If he's not fanning on them 90% of the time, he's missing the net the other 9%. Subban can't hit the net either.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
This team is built on special teams and goaltending. The coach even brags about it. So before you expect a big trade or a firing look for the team to try to re-work the PP.

Weber has been absolutely trash recently and it showed last night yet again. When Markov comes back there still won't be a fearful point shot, what'll be the options then?
Subban has one of the best point shots in the NHL, I expect it to be him and Markov. If that isn't working then try Weber.

I think the problem with the PP recently is one guy has the puck and the other guys are just standing around instead of trying to get open and get to the middle of the box.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Captain Saku

I miss the days when we had one of the best PP in the league all instrumented by Markov paired with guys with laser shots. We don't have that anymore.

Markov - Souray
Markov - Streit
Markov - MAB

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Subban has one of the best point shots in the NHL, I expect it to be him and Markov. If that isn't working then try Weber.

I think the problem with the PP recently is one guy has the puck and the other guys are just standing around instead of trying to get open and get to the middle of the box.
Subban does'nt have one of the best shot in the NHL, he does have one of the most powerful shots but he misses the net too often and his one-timers take for ever to be released.

The PP have so many problems that even Kirk Muller wouldn't how to fix it.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:07 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Anaheim, on wednesday night...book it!
Maybe Bobby Ryan will be leaving with us, and a couple Habs will be staying to play there.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I miss the days when we had one of the best PP in the league all instrumented by Markov paired with guys with laser shots. We don't have that anymore.

Markov - Souray
Markov - Streit
Markov - MAB
People here really under rate Subbans shot. May not be as hard as those, but he is better at creating shots and placing them.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:13 PM
MrRoundtree

Since Gill came back in the line-up Weber was paired with him. IMHO Gill is the one that make Weber looks bad 5 on 5... On the Powerplay he is struggling tho but so is the whole team.

MrRoundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
People here really under rate Subbans shot. May not be as hard as those, but he is better at creating shots and placing them.
Subban is a RH shot which will make it harder for Markov to pass it to him (assuming Markov is on the left point)

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
groovejuice

The problem seems to be a confidence issue. Weber and Diaz were getting rave reviews on this board only a short time ago. Considering their inexperience, they were exceeding expectations.

For an injury ridden team struggling to maintain a .500 record, there is a ton of pressure on them. No surprise they have some setbacks.

As far as the PP goes, it was starting to click - 5 goals in 4 games? What changed is they were not stationary. There was a lot of fast passing, players cycling, etc. Now, they are back to a slow, non-dynamic PP. Holding the puck too long, passing when they should be shooting and vice versa. Second guessing, thinking too much instead of instinctive hockey.

These IMO are coaching issues. Get some set plays in. Give them a shot to succeed. With a little success, comes more confidence.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
lets trade all of our young, cheap players with their best seasons still ahead of them, for overpaid 3rd or 4th liner vets...

briiiilliant
Just because they are young and cheap doesn't mean they are good or worth keeping.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

It's nice to see that Pleks can be so versatile and play the point on the PP, but I really can't wait to see him on the hash marks where he excels the most. Again, Martin sends out Diaz and Weber on the first rotation of the PP last night, I actually think he wants to be fired now. When you see those two on your PP, you know things are bad.

tldr When Markov and Campoli come back, we will have 2 very solid PP lines and things will be 100% better. Also, when Martin gets fired, I can almost guarantee players like Gionta, Gomez and Cammalleri will improve.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Habs

Weber is young, inexperienced and being asked to help run a PP with zero creativity, so what do you expect from him?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:01 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Weber is young, inexperienced and being asked to help run a PP with zero creativity, so what do you expect from him?
To play like an NHL defenseman, like we all know he can.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
JuJu Mobb

Bring back Kovalev!

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I don't lay all the blame on weber...JM needs to have his head examined when he puts out his best offensive player on the point and doesn't start Subban on the first PP unit. Things won't change unless Pleks gets on the half boards with Subby bombing them from the point.

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:05 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

You cannot blame our PP poor performance on one individual player.

We are very very predictable.

Dump the puck in and chase it down. If/when we get control of the puck, move it to the right point, pass it to the left point and shoot the puck. If it is blocked, repeat the process.

Take a team like Detroit. There is very effective puck movement. They typically skate the puck in more than dumping it. They have net presence ALL the time. There is a player in front of the goalie all the time.

We are but a shell of what we were in the past several years with regard to our PP.

Coaching matters. Blaming it on one individual player is a dumb exercise and is denial of just how poorly this team is now coached.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You cannot blame our PP poor performance on one individual player.

We are very very predictable.

Dump the puck in and chase it down. If/when we get control of the puck, move it to the right point, pass it to the left point and shoot the puck. If it is blocked, repeat the process.

Take a team like Detroit. There is very effective puck movement. They typically skate the puck in more than dumping it. They have net presence ALL the time. There is a player in front of the goalie all the time.

We are but a shell of what we were in the past several years with regard to our PP.

Coaching matters. Blaming it on one individual player is a dumb exercise and is denial of just how poorly this team is now coached.
agree
for a PP everyone has to be on the same page.
1 error and it mostly fails.
Our entry is somthing i hate though right now
If we lose the puck then we are mostly screwed

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Lucius

Wasn't Weber's best game, but to pin the PP on him is insane. He's not the QB (Plekanec is) and all told, that unit could at least gain the zone.

The second unit, QBed by Subban, was the one giving up more time in their own end than the first unit.

Honestly though, I think it's a bit simple to blame the players. There is clearly a strategic issue here that the staff needs to solve. The only goals we've scored this year on the PP seem to be off the rush (IE not as drawn up) or on Weber one timers.

Weber, in my opinion has regressed on the PP, but interestingly become a MUCH better defenseman 5 on 5. Like Subban, I think Martin has beaten the offense out of him, but in so doing made a solid two way defender.

One issue I've noticed is that Plekanec isn't delivering passes he can one-time. I don't know how many times we've seen them pass it back and forth three times before he could get a shot off. Not sure if that's on Plekanec for the pass or on Weber for needing too perfect of a pass to get the one timer off. At this point I'd like to see Gorges back there making setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
I don't lay all the blame on weber...JM needs to have his head examined when he puts out his best offensive player on the point and doesn't start Subban on the first PP unit. Things won't change unless Pleks gets on the half boards with Subby bombing them from the point.
Absurd.

Subban has been brutal on the second unit. Absolutely brutal. The second unit rarely gets out of its own end.

And his one timer is not exactly effective. He never hits the net and telegraphs it so absurdly that when it is anywhere near the net it gets blocked.

I don't know what happened to Subban over the summer, but this is not the same player everyone loved last year. The Subban of 2011 has no business on the PP.

Honestly, I'd seriously toy with sending Subban to Hamilton when everyone is back if he doesn't wake up. The guy is easily the most talented skater on the team, but there is something seriously wrong with his performances so far this year.

Last edited by Lucius: 11-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Weber for Brassard.

Seriously though, once everybody comes back, a decision will need to be made as far as Weber is concerned. And somewho, I feel he will be implicated in a trade. Whether it's a 1 for 1 O'Byrne-Bournival type of trade...whether it's part of something bigger. I just don't see him finishing the year with us. Unfortunately. He'll go and succeed elsewhere. Let just hope that for once, we find a guy who succeeds here too.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:41 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Someone brought it up the other night. Our PP is bland as hell because players who don't have the puck stand around. You need to move around and look for open spots on the PP. It's far easier to cover a PP when none of the players are moving. MOVE AROUND AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE MAN ADVANTAGE. I wish Muller was around...he'd know what to do. Ladoucer and Cunneyworth were defensive Dmen. Jacques is a defensive coach. Why am I not surprised that the PP sucks?

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Weber for Brassard.

Seriously though, once everybody comes back, a decision will need to be made as far as Weber is concerned. And somewho, I feel he will be implicated in a trade. Whether it's a 1 for 1 O'Byrne-Bournival type of trade...whether it's part of something bigger. I just don't see him finishing the year with us. Unfortunately. He'll go and succeed elsewhere. Let just hope that for once, we find a guy who succeeds here too.
I disagree, people have been proclaiming Weber in trades for years. He's the new Ryder and a 2nd.

For all the struggles the entire team has had on the PP, Weber has clearly evolved into one of the most trusted defensemen on the team.

His average time on ice is 3rd (Subban and Gorges are 1 and 2) among the defense.

That tells me that it'll be Emelin or Diaz gone first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Someone brought it up the other night. Our PP is bland as hell because players who don't have the puck stand around. You need to move around and look for open spots on the PP. It's far easier to cover a PP when none of the players are moving. MOVE AROUND AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE MAN ADVANTAGE. I wish Muller was around...he'd know what to do. Ladoucer and Cunneyworth were defensive Dmen. Jacques is a defensive coach. Why am I not surprised that the PP sucks?
Muller handled the PK as I recall, not the PP. The logic was that an offensive player would know what would frustrate a PP (and vice versa).

Also his PP in the AHL is dead middle of the pack.

Habs should go get whomever is running the Hershey Bears PP. Middle of the road team operating at 30% on the PP.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

We thought he would be another Streit but he just doesn't have that kind of shot.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:42 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I disagree, people have been proclaiming Weber in trades for years. He's the new Ryder and a 2nd.

For all the struggles the entire team has had on the PP, Weber has clearly evolved into one of the most trusted defensemen on the team.

His average time on ice is 3rd (Subban and Gorges are 1 and 2) among the defense.

That tells me that it'll be Emelin or Diaz gone first.

Muller handled the PK as I recall, not the PP. The logic was that an offensive player would know what would frustrate a PP (and vice versa).

Also his PP in the AHL is dead middle of the pack.

Habs should go get whomever is running the Hershey Bears PP. Middle of the road team operating at 30% on the PP.
It really has nothing to do with what he handled. Are you telling me he had no input on the PP or couldn't offer any?

How his current team is doing on the PP is irrelevant.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He's got a bomb for sure but the issue is his release is pretty slow which gives the defense time to close the lanes. One thing that I noticed about the PP is that for the most part everyone is standing around. Not a lot of player movement.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote