HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #23: St. Louis Blues at Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
11-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

vCash: 50
Game #23: St. Louis Blues at Columbus Blue Jackets

VS.

AT

TEAM COMPARISONS

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

LAST TIME

STARTING LINEUPS

Steen - Backes - Oshie
D'Agostini - Berglund - Stewart
Sterling - Arnott - Langenbrunner
Grachev - Nichol - Reaves

Cole - Pietrangelo
Jackman - Shattenkirk
Russell - Polak

Elliott
Halak

Nash - Carter - Prospal
Umberger - Letestu - Johansen
Vermette - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Bass - MacKenzie - Boll

Tyutin - Nikitin
Methot - Wisniewski
Moore - Clitsome

Sanford
York

Blues' Hitchcock set to return to Columbus

**Hull interested in joining Stillman groups bid to buy Blues.**

No stories yet

**Blues notebook**

MEDIA

Since its worked two games in a row

...and just to get these two going

and

ok the last one is borderline but if it works it stays.

Last edited by Blanick: 11-27-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:56 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

With Berglund doing all the small things right on the ice, I think this is the perfect game for him to break out and start scoring. We need him and Stewart to produce if we want to make the playoffs and then make a run.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Will Elliott start in goal?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Yes, confirmed by JR.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Hitchcock's policy is if a goalie gets a shutout, they start the next game.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Mambo jambo, hokus pokus... Pie time

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Hitchcock's policy is if a goalie gets a shutout, they start the next game.
Except that he also confirmed Halak is starting the Washington game 'No matter what'.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I wonder if they will announce Perron's return or make it a last minute announcement and surprise everyone.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:10 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

We can obviously say that every game matters at this point, but this one is particularly important. The standings in the West are starting to spread out a bit except for the Blues and the teams around them. Since the Blues have a game in hand on most of them, and looking at the upcoming schedule, it doesn't favor idleness.

If they win tonight, they can be all alone in 5th and actually be in a position where they can lose a game after that and not slip out of a playoff spot.

Plus, of the six teams around them, a few play each other this week, meaning guaranteed points for one of them, and most of the other games for those teams are a bit easier - against lower teams in the conference or against the East, against whom these teams have performed very well.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:20 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
We can obviously say that every game matters at this point, but this one is particularly important. The standings in the West are starting to spread out a bit except for the Blues and the teams around them. Since the Blues have a game in hand on most of them, and looking at the upcoming schedule, it doesn't favor idleness.

If they win tonight, they can be all alone in 5th and actually be in a position where they can lose a game after that and not slip out of a playoff spot.

Plus, of the six teams around them, a few play each other this week, meaning guaranteed points for one of them, and most of the other games for those teams are a bit easier - against lower teams in the conference or against the East, against whom these teams have performed very well.
ha, I thought I`d be tho only one who is already watching the standings

but on this stage of the season we should focus from game to game, and this game will be tough to win. the Jackets actually remembered how to play hockey, played good against BUF

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:38 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
ha, I thought I`d be tho only one who is already watching the standings

but on this stage of the season we should focus from game to game, and this game will be tough to win. the Jackets actually remembered how to play hockey, played good against BUF
Yea, if they drop a couple they should win, but take them right back, it's ultimately no different - the true difference only being games against teams close to them in the standings.

However, this is the time of the season when the Blues have slumped in recent years. Slumping guys on other teams begin to hit their strides. Abnormal hot streaks that make the standings weird begin to cool off. You see what a team is really all about and the teams higher in the standings begin to show a confidence that even the teams on hot streaks didn't have to start the year. The Blues would do themselves a lot of favors by being solidly in playoff position by the midway point, and the next 18 or 19 games are going to fly by.

If they play well and lose against good opponents, it's frustrating, but I'm still happy. However, while Conklin and injuries were well-documented obstacles, the inability to correct their course after losing one or two was the Blues' biggest weakness last year. I don't know if that was Payne, youth, or just luck, but the players were visibly affected by extended losing streaks more than they are affected by consistent trading of wins and losses. I don't want any chance to remain that the Blues are haunted by bad losses and skids that yank them around in the standings, screwing with their morale.

And I cannot emphasize this enough: The Blues have two six-game road trips right at the end of the year. They need to buffer themselves in the standings before they get there.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Hopefully Bergy and Stewie can net a couple points this game. They've been overdue for way too long. Will be interesting to see more of Sterling this game with the absence of Sobotka. Nikitin will probably score against us cause that's just how life works, but I think the Blues will come out with the win.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:03 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
And I cannot emphasize this enough: The Blues have two six-game road trips right at the end of the year. They need to buffer themselves in the standings before they get there.
Great point. I've been watching the standings pretty closely but I didn't realize how road-heavy our schedule was during the final stretch. A Blues team that has managed to give themselves some breathing room in the standings at that point is a team that's probably been successful at finding that long-term consistency, responding well to tough losses, and finding ways to win through adversity (not just injuries, but the flux of individual hot-and-cold streaks, rough nights for Halak/Elliott, etc). The next few months will be really important in terms of developing that sustained confidence and winning mentality that would help them to handle the challenge of those late road games.

Last edited by kittensmasher: 11-27-2011 at 02:09 PM.
kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Sandman in net for CLB. Good ole Sandman.

Key win against a team at the bottom of the league.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:58 PM
SirPaste

I know Columbus has been playing good hockey as of late but I think today is the day Bergy and Stew break out, just have a feeling. Big game today

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Robb_K

These are the types of games that The Blues have to win, to move to the next level (that of a winning team).

Old
11-27-2011, 03:26 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Have a feeling that Nash will come alive this game and put up 2. Probably a chippy game where we lose 4-2 due to bad penalties. I think we'll dominate with puck possession, but ultimately we'll lose and Stewart will continue his slump. Sterling and Oshie get the Blues goals with Oshie's goal being on the power play. Let's hope I'm wrong!

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:27 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

I expect this to be a close game. Columbus has been playing some very good hockey lately with Sanford in net. If the Blues take their competition for granted, they'll be in trouble.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Have a feeling that Nash will come alive this game and put up 2. Probably a chippy game where we lose 4-2 due to bad penalties. I think we'll dominate with puck possession, but ultimately we'll lose and Stewart will continue his slump. Sterling and Oshie get the Blues goals with Oshie's goal being on the power play. Let's hope I'm wrong!
Elliott will be in goal. Why would Hitchcock's new defensive system suddenly give up 4 goals to a middling to slightly-below average offence?

I see a 2-1 or 3-2 game (with The Blues on top), OR a Blues' shutout 2-0).

Old
11-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Clay Squares

Quote:
These are the types of games that The Blues have to win, to move to the next level (that of a winning team).
Agreed. Even with the BJ's playing better of late this is a game that the Blues should be expected to win.

I'm also on board with getting Berglund and Stewart on the score sheet tonight. LGB!

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Elliott will be in goal. Why would Hitchcock's new defensive system suddenly give up 4 goals to a middling to slightly-below average offence?

I see a 2-1 or 3-2 game (with The Blues on top), OR a Blues' shutout 2-0).
Bad penalties. Carter is back, and they're playing hockey again. I could be wrong, but I've been really concerned with the stupid penalties from everyone. Even our veterans have been finding their way to the box, albeit the bad refs. It's a hit or miss game, and I feel like this game is a swing game. We win, we'll continue playing well. If we lose to the worst team in the league...we fold up and revert to the lackluster play we were used to under Payne. This is a huge test to see if we can flex our muscles against a weaker team.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
I see your point, but I think he just meant it as his hunch more than anything. The Jackets are playing with renewed fire and a hot netminder, and even the best teams have a game or two during the season where they get taken to the cleaners by a team they should beat. Not that I'm *expecting* that to happen, and you're right - there's no logical reason why the Hitchcock Blues shouldn't keep doing what they've been doing against CBJ, but it's hockey. Weirder things have definitely happened.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I know Columbus has been playing good hockey as of late but I think today is the day Bergy and Stew break out, just have a feeling. Big game today
I was about to say the same thing...one of the two are do.

Actually we are do for a big win period!

6-1 Blues.

Last edited by TerminatorBlue: 11-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

I have a bad feeling about this game.

Hopefully it turns out to just be gas

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 05:06 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Columbus is playing very well with CuSa in net, don't underestimate them.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote