HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller wants out?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 10:01 PM
SabresFan79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Since you are accusing Miller of faking his injury, then I refuse to respond to anything else in your post.
That's fine. I know where you stand, and I have my own independent thoughts and questions on the matter.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
SabresFan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Take care of a guy who wants out of an organization half way into a contract that pays him as one of the elites at his position?

Sorry, if Miller wants out, the Sabres should do nothing to consider his desire, and everything to get the best return possible

His on ice work is mostly generic over his career
I think you missed the part in my prior posts about "if all things are equal." I completely agree that it is Darcy's job to get the best return possible. As I said, Miller is an asset. I also said that if we have two offers of equal value for that asset, and one is from, say, Anaheim, under the circumstances it's a better move to do right by Miller and take the Anaheim offer. Things like that speak well of the organization, and might help convince the next guy we want with a NTC to waive and come to Buffalo.

I add this from my first post on this issue:

Third, I saw a lot of conjecture about trading Miller to a Cali or southwest team. All things being equal, if Miller has to go it would be nice to ship him to a Cali team out of consideration for what he's done here. If, however, he has to go and the best offer is from a team to which his contract permits a trade and which is not in Cali or SW, that's where he's going. Nothing against Miller, but he's an asset, and if we're going to move him, we have to maximize our return, irrespective of where he wants (or doesn't want) to go. So, teams other than the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Coyotes, and Avalanche are in play.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:12 PM
McTank

Honestly I don't know about San Jose being set in goal, Antii Niemi hasn't been te same since he was traded and I think they would listen to Miller. Mayr we could get Niemi + or in a 3 way trade Niemi cold go to Columbus and we could get Thornton

Old
11-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Take care of a guy who wants out of an organization half way into a contract that pays him as one of the elites at his position?

Sorry, if Miller wants out, the Sabres should do nothing to consider his desire, and everything to get the best return possible

His on ice work is mostly generic over his career
The bolded is the only thing worthy of a

Old
11-27-2011, 10:43 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
Antii Niemi hasn't been te same since he was traded and I think they would listen to Miller.
You're right - he's been better. Niemi posted a .920 save percentage with six shutouts last year. This season he's at .921. He also makes approximately $2.5 million less than Miller per annum. He's a fairly young, fairly cheap, Cup-winning goalie who seems to still be improving. Miller is older, more expensive, and arguably not as good as Niemi.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

First, as an elite professional athlete, playing a sport that prides itself on "codes," I very much see Miller being pissed at his teammates and wanting out. Lucid didn't bump him, he ran him over and his teammates did nada. The rest of the team has been blasted by many sportwiters, blogs and other NHL players. I see ample reason to form a correlation between the Lucic incident and his wife, and Miller WILLING to accept a trade.

IMO, I have no problem trading him. He might have a big contract but he has American star power and is top ten.

In too many other threads we talk about the core and a culture change, well here is an opportunity with one of our biggest chips and core member.

Phoenix around Doan would slove size and leadership isssues for me.

LA. Lombardi is under pressure and bringing in star power and quality would be an easy sell. Obviously it would start with one of their goalies.

Anaheim. We need size and some grit. Change the core a bit. And we'll need to over pay. Ennis miller stafford for Hiller and Ryan.

SJ. Sure they say they are set but this is a team that has faltered year after year in the playoffs. A stud goalie would certainly help their confidence.

Colorado. Sure Miller plus salary dump (boyes) for Stastny & Varalavo. What the heck, time for a change and address the center position.

Again, I've posted in other threads that I think Miller has gone Hollywood and wants to be traded so use him to better the team.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Phoenix around Doan would slove size and leadership isssues for me.
Pass. Doan is a 35-year-old free agent-to-be.

Quote:
LA. Lombardi is under pressure and bringing in star power and quality would be an easy sell. Obviously it would start with one of their goalies.
Wouldn't make any sense for LA at all. "Star power" or not, Quick is, at the very least, every bit as effective as Miller. He's also younger and cheaper.

Quote:
Anaheim. We need size and some grit. Change the core a bit. And we'll need to over pay. Ennis miller stafford for Hiller and Ryan.
I'd do a Miller/Stafford/decent prospect for Hiller/Ryan deal. Throwing in Ennis seems unnecessary.

Quote:
SJ. Sure they say they are set but this is a team that has faltered year after year in the playoffs. A stud goalie would certainly help their confidence.
They already have one.

Quote:
Colorado. Sure Miller plus salary dump (boyes) for Stastny & Varalavo. What the heck, time for a change and address the center position.
Why would Colorado do that?

Old
11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
You're right - he's been better. Niemi posted a .920 save percentage with six shutouts last year. This season he's at .921. He also makes approximately $2.5 million less than Miller per annum. He's a fairly young, fairly cheap, Cup-winning goalie who seems to still be improving. Miller is older, more expensive, and arguably not as good as Niemi.
I'd love to see Miller's numbers behind that Cup-winning Chicago team and a perennial contender in San Jose.

Old
11-27-2011, 11:10 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'd love to see Miller's numbers behind that Cup-winning Chicago team and a perennial contender in San Jose.
I have a hard time believing Miller's numbers as a Shark would be much better than the ones Niemi has put up thus far. Chicago? Sure. But Niemi's a better goalie now than he was in his time as a Blackhawk.

Old
11-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Summit72

Quote:
Agreed.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

(20+ games)
05-06 Wins 13th GAA 12th S% 9th
06-07 Wins 3rd GAA 22nd S% 17th
07-08 Wins 6th GAA 24th S% 33rd
08-09 Wins 8th GAA 19th S% 8th
09-10 Wins 4th GAA 2nd S% 2nd
10-11 Wins 13th GAA 25th S% 22nd

average season
Wins 8th GAA 17th S% 15th
average starter

I'm not sure how that

Old
11-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
EXACTLY

i'd love to use Miller to get more pieces towards building THAT perennial contender/cup winner... I bet Enroth or any number of other goalies like Niemi would like just fine.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Stone87

Hasek circa 2000: 2 Hart Trophies, 6 Vezina Trophies, 5 Best Goalie Czech Republic, 1 Olympic Gold, 1 Olympic Bronze, 2 Stanley Cups
moody, tempermental, hasn't proven **** in the playoffs, would rather be somewhere else, past his prime, injury prone.

Biron circa 2000: 1 Best AHL Goaltender
infinite potential, laid back personality a plus.

Miller circa 2011: 1 NCAA MVP, 1 Best AHL Goaltender, 1 Vezina Trophy, 1 Olympic MVP, 1 Olympic Silver Medal
moody, tempermental, hasn't proven **** in the playoffs, would rather be somewhere else, past his prime, injury prone.

Enroth circa 2011: None

Old
11-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone87 View Post
Hasek circa 2000: 2 Hart Trophies, 6 Vezina Trophies, 5 Best Goalie Czech Republic, 1 Olympic Gold, 1 Olympic Bronze, 2 Stanley Cups

Biron circa 2000: 1 Best AHL Goaltender

Miller circa 2011: 1 NCAA MVP, 1 Best AHL Goaltender, 1 Vezina Trophy, 1 Olympic MVP, 1 Olympic Silver Medal

Enroth circa 2011: None
And this all means...what, exactly?

Old
11-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

What i took out of it....is...

Don't pin your hopes on Enroth?

Old
11-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Stone87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
A lot of people thought we would be better off with Biron after Hasek was traded. Not just fans, but even players on the team. I distinctly remember Rob Ray saying "we were fine without Dom and Peca last year." I mostly just wanted to point out that handing the keys to a young goaltender doesn't always work out even if there seems to be a lot of potential there.

I also wanted to remind people how much Miller has actually accomplished in his career. It's not on Hasek's level, but he has some nice awards to show for his play. If they want to trade Miller a lot of teams are going to be interested.

Personally I'm not great evaluator of talent when it comes to goalies. I can spot a soft goal, but I know little of the mechanics of goaltending. That said I think handing the reins over to Enroth would be a mistake. If he is going to supplant Miller and take the job then he needs to be head and shoulders above him. Going back to last season their numbers are actually pretty similar with the edge going to Miller last season and Enroth this year. Similar stats without all of the additional hardware and history just doesn't get you anywhere with me.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
It's worth mentioning that Niemi won the Cup, with what looked to be the worst Cup winning post season for a goalie, that I can recall seeing.

And oh yeah, this thread is preposterous! Miller loves playing in Buffalo, doesn't he?!? He signed a mega-ton contract!! His wife can move to Buffalo and star in the next Healthy Changes Everything video for all I care.

Miller just needs time to get healthy, and then get back to work. He will be fine, and he will bring Buffalo a Cup this season.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
A lot of people thought we would be better off with Biron after Hasek was traded. Not just fans, but even players on the team. I distinctly remember Rob Ray saying "we were fine without Dom and Peca last year." I mostly just wanted to point out that handing the keys to a young goaltender doesn't always work out even if there seems to be a lot of potential there.

I also wanted to remind people how much Miller has actually accomplished in his career. It's not on Hasek's level, but he has some nice awards to show for his play. If they want to trade Miller a lot of teams are going to be interested.

Personally I'm not great evaluator of talent when it comes to goalies. I can spot a soft goal, but I know little of the mechanics of goaltending. That said I think handing the reins over to Enroth would be a mistake. If he is going to supplant Miller and take the job then he needs to be head and shoulders above him. Going back to last season their numbers are actually pretty similar with the edge going to Miller last season and Enroth this year. Similar stats without all of the additional hardware and history just doesn't get you anywhere with me.
Luongo for Miller straight up. That would be interesting!

Old
11-28-2011, 02:27 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Luongo for Miller straight up. That would be interesting!
The Buffalo (and by extension, Toronto) media would eat LOLongo alive. Like Kyle Wellwood attempted to do a few times in Vancouver

Old
11-28-2011, 06:08 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Even if it was true (which I don't think) what could we really get for Miller? People act like we could get a stud centre, but goalies don't really give that great of a return these days.
You can bet that when this particular writer says he is "hearing" Miller wouldn't mind a trade, take it to the bank.
He has connections within the Sabres organization for sure. This wouldn't be the first time he's broken a Sabres story and he was the first one to go public with the Pegula information, which you should take note of.

Old
11-28-2011, 07:25 AM
HiddenInLight

My question is who is his source. Not even a hint in the article. Honestly I could say Darcy is currently in trade talks with chicago to aquire Kane because Kane is from buffalo and would like to play on his hometown team. Now any of you can say I heard Chicago is trading Kane to Buffalo because he wants to play in buffalo, his home town. That would be the same as this article. Also let it be known that if Kane comes to buffalo now I'm becoming a sports writer and will make a thread saying that I TOTALLY called it. But on topic, without even a hint about who that source may be or even if they are at all credible, I say take it with a grain of salt. Sounds to me like he is trying to create drama on a slow news day.

Old
11-28-2011, 07:26 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The basic premise I take from this thread is that since this particular writer got a story right once, that means everything he ever writes should be taken at face value, and not be questioned.

How many other rumors has he written about that proved not to be true? Has anyone bothered to look? I doubt it.

Stop fellating the guy and understand this for what it is ; rumor-mongering for pageviews.

Old
11-28-2011, 07:53 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Miller for Kane!

Seriously though, I don't see another team making the kind of offer that Regier would want for Miller.

I'd do Bolland and Crawford for Miller. But, Regier wouldn't.

And Miller doesn't have the leverage that Hasek did. Is Miller really going to retire if they don't move him?

I doubt it.

Old
11-28-2011, 07:58 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Has there been anything about this other than that original blurb in an article?

Old
11-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:

Your argument was severely flawed the moment you attempted to compare Hasek arguably the best goaltender of all time to Miller. A very good goalie in an era where there are lots of similar players at the position.

Closed Thread