HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best former King's head coach?

View Poll Results: Which former King's head coach would be the best fit for this team?
Red Kelly 1 2.44%
Bob Pulford 11 26.83%
Bob Berry 0 0%
Don Perry 1 2.44%
Pat Quinn 4 9.76%
Robbie Ftorek 1 2.44%
Tom Webster 4 9.76%
Barry Melrose 12 29.27%
Larry Robinson 3 7.32%
Andy Murray 3 7.32%
Marc Crawford 0 0%
other 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
  #1
jonrazor12
Palffy for President
 
jonrazor12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Best former King's head coach?

It is safe to say that most people think TM is not fit to be a coach in the NHL let alone the coach of our beloved Kings. His methods are outdated. His system lacks any sign of creativity and is easily dissected by opposing teams. His spontaneous line changing reflects someone who has no idea what they are doing. I think there is something obviously wrong with the guy. Last night's game is a perfect example. Why did he decide to switch up the lines and how did he come up with the lines that he did? He has become the most frustrating King's coach I have ever witnessed. I just wish Andy Murray had a chance to coach this team. With that said, which former King's coach do you think would be the best fit for this team?

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 01:52 PM
  #2
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,558
vCash: 500
AM would be a good fit for this team, but I don't want to say he'd be the best fit.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  #3
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
AM would be a good fit for this team, but I don't want to say he'd be the best fit.
AM suffered from the "system over creativity" syndrome too. That's why a guy like Derek Armstrong saw so much ice time while Cammalleri sat.

The biggest problem with this poll question is that the NHL has changed so much in the last 10 years that none of the pre-AM coaches would survive. Look what happened when Melrose tried to come back - it was a total disaster. That only leaves AM and Crawford - and we know how they did

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  #4
LAKings4ever
Registered User
 
LAKings4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
I was between Bob Pulford and Bob Berry, utilmitely went with Pulford - very good coach with success (by Kings standards) in the playoffs.

I would take TM over most of the guys on the list, at least TM has an idea of what he wants to do and is doing it...while it may be outdated, we are a very strong defensive team.

No AM, he is best with getting a group with low talent and making them look better than they are.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
  #5
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream
 
THEKingsFanInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
No John Torchetti?

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
  #6
Dubis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
It is safe to say that most people think TM is not fit to be a coach in the NHL let alone the coach of our beloved Kings. His methods are outdated. His system lacks any sign of creativity and is easily dissected by opposing teams. His spontaneous line changing reflects someone who has no idea what they are doing. I think there is something obviously wrong with the guy. Last night's game is a perfect example. Why did he decide to switch up the lines and how did he come up with the lines that he did? He has become the most frustrating King's coach I have ever witnessed. I just wish Andy Murray had a chance to coach this team. With that said, which former King's coach do you think would be the best fit for this team?
My favorite coach was always stick throwing Tom Webster.

Dubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:44 PM
  #7
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Can I vote for Terry Murray?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:00 PM
  #8
Maynard
Registered User
 
Maynard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Can I vote for Terry Murray?
He's not a "former" coach.

I know man....I'm bummed about it too.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:18 PM
  #9
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,488
vCash: 500
I became a fan when Melrose was coach, so I can't speak for any coach before him. I think Larry Robinson was the best coach we've had since I've followed the team.

What's Rogie Vachon's record as head coach?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
  #10
Nose of Sutter
Registered User
 
Nose of Sutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Let's bring Crawford back.













Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  #11
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas
 
RAZZIE King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Roach Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 15,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubis View Post
My favorite coach was always stick throwing Tom Webster.
At least HE showed a little emotion behind the bench...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:05 PM
  #12
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Pat Quinn could've done something with this team. Same with Robinson.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:40 PM
  #13
jonrazor12
Palffy for President
 
jonrazor12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
AM suffered from the "system over creativity" syndrome too. That's why a guy like Derek Armstrong saw so much ice time while Cammalleri sat.

The biggest problem with this poll question is that the NHL has changed so much in the last 10 years that none of the pre-AM coaches would survive. Look what happened when Melrose tried to come back - it was a total disaster. That only leaves AM and Crawford - and we know how they did

Crawford was horrible. AM was amazing. AM did exactly what TM can't. And that's getting the most out of the players

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
  #14
mysteryman
Registered User
 
mysteryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: one after 909
Country: United States
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
surprised more havent gone with Webster. I know the players hate him but he is still the only coach to ever lead the Kings to a divisional championship. The 91 team stands to me as one of our most balanced teams weve ever seen with 2 great scoring lines, a great shut down center in Steve Kasper and toughness across the board.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:09 PM
  #15
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Pat Quinn could've done something with this team. Same with Robinson.
How about the current team?

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:49 PM
  #16
Fripp
Registered User
 
Fripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
A few are before my time, but Ftorek was my favorite.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
  #17
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Can I vote for Terry Murray?
If that means that he would instantly become a "former" coach - SURE!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:12 PM
  #18
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
I wonder of those who voted for Pulford, how many actually seen him coach?

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:19 PM
  #19
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I wonder of those who voted for Pulford, how many actually seen him coach?
I didn't (vote for him), but I did! (see him coach). I don't think any of the coaches prior to the lockout would be successful now - it's just too different.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
  #20
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I wonder of those who voted for Pulford, how many actually seen him coach?
I voted for him, and of course I saw him coach...he was the "bridge" coach that brought the Kings out of obscurity in the 1970s and turned them into a nightmare for some teams in the regular season, as well as the playoffs...just ask the Boston Bruins in 1976.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
  #21
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
My first year watching the kings game was probably around 1972. It's very possible that Pulford was the coach back then but who knows. Back then I watched the games for the fights and the hits. Besides, you were lucky to have watched half dozen games back then with limited games on channel 5.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
  #22
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I didn't (vote for him), but I did! (see him coach). I don't think any of the coaches prior to the lockout would be successful now - it's just too different.
I see what you did there. Murray's first job post-lockout is in LA.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:42 PM
  #23
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
How about the current team?
That's what I meant.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:39 AM
  #24
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas
 
RAZZIE King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Roach Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 15,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Crawford was horrible. AM was amazing. AM did exactly what TM can't. And that's getting the most out of the players
You mean getting the players on IR...don't you???

That was the one thing I couldn't get over with AM...the injury bug... He was a good coach though...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:42 AM
  #25
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas
 
RAZZIE King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Roach Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 15,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
My first year watching the kings game was probably around 1972. It's very possible that Pulford was the coach back then but who knows. Back then I watched the games for the fights and the hits. Besides, you were lucky to have watched half dozen games back then with limited games on channel 5.
I remember those channel 5 days...but my love for the Kings was born around February 1973...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.