HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Girardi

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
  #1
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Staal and Girardi

I know this will create friction. But it is necessary I say this. I think Staal is over rated and until this year Girardi was under rated(by way to many,and Thnk od i can say I am on that always liked his game from day 1). Look @ NYR now without him (staal),i completley forget hes even on the club.

Ive always been a Girardi Supporter as well. I never would include him in a trade unless a top 6 guy is coming back and a young one @ that.Though i would be inclined to move Staal just as fast for a top 6 foward.

And NO I am not comparing the 2,but..... i do think Girardi is as solid as Staal.But Staal can catch more on the trade market mainly cause of name and where he was drafted ( a 1st rounder). Do I like Staal,YES,will I be happy if he remains a Ranger,YES..Do I think hes a top pairing guy with great defensive skills,good physical play and pretty descent offensive skills,YES.

NOW PEOPLE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS SIMPLY MY OPINION....O P I N I O N.... I am not saying I am right,but this is how I feel. Im not a new Rangers/Hockey fan.Im 33 and started playing @ 9 yrs old,when i became a Rangers fan.Point is im not some ignorant newbie. And i see how people on here can get,hence the reason im posting that this is just an OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep it peaceful and have some good hockey talk.

JayQueensNY88* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
  #2
useref15
Registered User
 
useref15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
I think we're better off with both on our roster. If you want to balance out the pairings a bit more, keep Girardi with McDonagh, and put Sauer with Staal.

useref15 is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 12:51 PM
  #3
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,701
vCash: 500
This is like the third time this has come up since the season started

Staal isn't getting traded, he will make the defense much better when he comes back. At this point, his impact is being taken for granted and Girardi is being treated like he was this amazing player since day one, when in reality he struggled for several seasons before finally finding some consistency last season and expanding on it this season.

Girardi is doing great, he's playing like Staal plays, but I'd rather have two guys playing like that than trade one of them unless it's gonna be a huge return

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
I think we're better off with both on our roster. If you want to balance out the pairings a bit more, keep Girardi with McDonagh, and put Sauer with Staal.
If Staal or Del Zotto could play the other side I'd actually rather see that pairing and let Sauer and eventually Erixon form a solid 3rd pairing

Levitate is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
  #4
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
It's a thought that's crossed many of our minds, but I agree with useref; we are better off with both. Staal has an unrivaled ability to move the puck up and out of our zone when it looks like we're about to get pinned in. Is he untouchable? Not as much as he was a few years ago, but nobody will be offering much for him until he plays a full season with no concussion issues.

I'd probably consider moving him for someone like Bobby Ryan or Eberle +, but this is all moot for at least a year, because of Staal's health. Let's let him come back and ease his way into top shape, and then see how next year goes, and how the rest of our D continue to develop. Needs change quite often in this league. We may not be starving for a top 6 LW in a year if Kreider/Thomas prove they're the real deal. In that case, keeping Staal is likely the best move for this club.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
  #5
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
I recognize this is your opinion. I think your opinion is largely a bad one, and anyone who thinks Staal is overated because his name is simple folk.

That's my opinion.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
  #6
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
I think Staal is over rated and until this year Girardi was under rated
I agree...

Mio41 is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
  #7
Gardner McKay
Moderator
What a time
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,380
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
I know this will create friction. But it is necessary I say this. I think Staal is over rated and until this year Girardi was under rated(by way to many,and Thnk od i can say I am on that always liked his game from day 1). Look @ NYR now without him (staal),i completley forget hes even on the club.

Ive always been a Girardi Supporter as well. I never would include him in a trade unless a top 6 guy is coming back and a young one @ that.Though i would be inclined to move Staal just as fast for a top 6 foward.

And NO I am not comparing the 2,but..... i do think Girardi is as solid as Staal.But Staal can catch more on the trade market mainly cause of name and where he was drafted ( a 1st rounder). Do I like Staal,YES,will I be happy if he remains a Ranger,YES..Do I think hes a top pairing guy with great defensive skills,good physical play and pretty descent offensive skills,YES.

NOW PEOPLE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS SIMPLY MY OPINION....O P I N I O N.... I am not saying I am right,but this is how I feel. Im not a new Rangers/Hockey fan.Im 33 and started playing @ 9 yrs old,when i became a Rangers fan.Point is im not some ignorant newbie. And i see how people on here can get,hence the reason im posting that this is just an OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep it peaceful and have some good hockey talk.
Oh not another one please.

If anything they are both under-rated. Staal gets shafted when it comes to recognition by the rest of the leagues fans and Girardi up until this year simply got NO recognition either way.

Gardner McKay is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
  #8
Jeds2StepOpus
Registered User
 
Jeds2StepOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Staal is not over-rated.

It is Girardi who has been grossly and mindlessly under-rated by the fantasy hockey/video game hockey crowd.

Everyone else in the league knew Girardi was a pillar of defensive strength back there on our blueline. But because his video game representation on video games designed for X-Box and Playstation, did not accurately represent Girardi's true ability and worth; you have what we have had with Rangers fans

Jeds2StepOpus is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:27 PM
  #9
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,221
vCash: 500
Girardi's been underrated. Staal has not been overrated.

This team is built on defense. Why would you trade your best defenseman, even if you have another defenseman playing nearly as well?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
  #10
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,407
vCash: 2550
I disagree. Just because he may be slightly overrated doesn't mean we could trade him. If Staal comes back playing his best and Girardi plays like he's playing now, we will dominate the league.

__________________
Kane One is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:36 PM
  #11
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I recognize this is your opinion. I think your opinion is largely a bad one, and anyone who thinks Staal is overated because his name is simple folk.

That's my opinion.
I agree 100%.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:39 PM
  #12
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
I know this will create friction. But it is necessary I say this. I think Staal is over rated and until this year Girardi was under rated(by way to many,and Thnk od i can say I am on that always liked his game from day 1). Look @ NYR now without him (staal),i completley forget hes even on the club.

Ive always been a Girardi Supporter as well. I never would include him in a trade unless a top 6 guy is coming back and a young one @ that.Though i would be inclined to move Staal just as fast for a top 6 foward.

And NO I am not comparing the 2,but..... i do think Girardi is as solid as Staal.But Staal can catch more on the trade market mainly cause of name and where he was drafted ( a 1st rounder). Do I like Staal,YES,will I be happy if he remains a Ranger,YES..Do I think hes a top pairing guy with great defensive skills,good physical play and pretty descent offensive skills,YES.

NOW PEOPLE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS SIMPLY MY OPINION....O P I N I O N.... I am not saying I am right,but this is how I feel. Im not a new Rangers/Hockey fan.Im 33 and started playing @ 9 yrs old,when i became a Rangers fan.Point is im not some ignorant newbie. And i see how people on here can get,hence the reason im posting that this is just an OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep it peaceful and have some good hockey talk.
Count me in dude. I agree with you 100% regarding your take on both Girardi and Staal. For some reason, Staal, perhaps because of his name and more famous(and better) brothers has gotten all of this unconditional love here and is way overrated on this forum. He doesn't have near the upside as an all around defenseman of a McDonagh or a Girardi who are both superior to Staal offensively. Is Staal a solid defensive defenseman? -YES! Would I be happy if he comes back healthy and regains his game and is part of our defensive core going forward?- YES! However, I would really like to see how this year plays out(especially if Staal does not return anytime soon) before I would make a judgement that we can indeed survive and even thrive defensively going forward w/o Staal.
If we can, I would consider moving him sometime down the road if and only if MDZ continues to play well and finds his offensive game, if and only if Erikson becomes a solid NHL defenseman and IF and only IF Mcilrath continues to develop and makes the team within 2 years. At that point in time, it would become a salary cap issue to move one of our defenseman and if all the above IFS come to fruition, I would definitely consider making Staal the out guy and move him in a package.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:41 PM
  #13
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
I think we're better off with both on our roster. If you want to balance out the pairings a bit more, keep Girardi with McDonagh, and put Sauer with Staal.
I like that idea a lot personally but you need to keep MDZ with Sauer right now because he's a solid stay at home defenseman who allows MDZ to freelance a little more.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:41 PM
  #14
Gardner McKay
Moderator
What a time
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,380
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Count me in dude. I agree with you 100% regarding your take on both Girardi and Staal. For some reason, Staal, perhaps because of his name and more famous(and better) brothers has gotten all of this unconditional love here and is way overrated on this forum. He doesn't have near the upside as an all around defenseman of a McDonagh or a Girardi who are both superior to Staal offensively. Is Staal a solid defensive defenseman? -YES! Would I be happy if he comes back healthy and regains his game and is part of our defensive core going forward?- YES! However, I would really like to see how this year plays out(especially if Staal does not return anytime soon) before I would make a judgement that we can indeed survive and even thrive defensively going forward w/o Staal.
If we can, I would consider moving him sometime down the road if and only if MDZ continues to play well and finds his offensive game, if and only if Erikson becomes a solid NHL defenseman and IF and only IF Mcilrath continues to develop and makes the team within 2 years. At that point in time, it would become a salary cap issue to move one of our defenseman and if all the above IFS come to fruition, I would definitely consider making Staal the out guy and move him in a package.
First off, its Erixon. 2nd Why would we trade Staal when our 5th & 6th dman are a combination of Eminger, Woywitka, and Stralman?

I can't even begin to fathom all this trade Staal BS, or Staal is over rated. Ugh.

Gardner McKay is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
  #15
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,673
vCash: 500
Any team would love to have Staal and Girardi.

pwoz is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:44 PM
  #16
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
how easy is it to say something like girardi has been under rated and i was always one of the people that supported him?

chip chipperson* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
  #17
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,586
vCash: 50
Are we not allowed to have top-notch defensive depth? Why is it always "TRADE TRADE TRADE" with this board? I don't understand it.

Alvvays is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:46 PM
  #18
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I recognize this is your opinion. I think your opinion is largely a bad one, and anyone who thinks Staal is overated because his name is simple folk.

That's my opinion.
Then call me Mr. Simple Folk because if Marc Staal's name was Smith or Jones, he would be just another good defensive defenseman, that's the bottom line.
Remember, he plays in the 2nd biggest hockey market(nxt to Toronto) in the world where he is constantly overhyped by the media, fans and his built in cheerleaders Rosen, Micheletti and company.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
  #19
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,381
vCash: 500
Marc Staal @ his $3.975 mil cap hit with his defensive play is one of the best value contracts in the league... Girardi's contract too.... To move either of these players would be asinine at this point....

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:50 PM
  #20
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,407
vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Are we not allowed to have top-notch defensive depth? Why is it always "TRADE TRADE TRADE" with this board? I don't understand it.
This. But I don't remember you saying this during the summer when mostly everyone wanted to trade Girardi.

Kane One is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:51 PM
  #21
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Girardi's been underrated. Staal has not been overrated.

This team is built on defense. Why would you trade your best defenseman, even if you have another defenseman playing nearly as well?
Why? Good question. How about because he's not our best defenseman, has limited upside especially offensively, doesn't always make the best reads and decisions and because his name is Staal, he might actually bring back a fairly good return? Something to think about but only if our present group of d-men continue to develop and play well!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:53 PM
  #22
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,395
vCash: 500
If it was for a top LW, I'd trade him, but I don't think it is necessary either. Girardi can't beast-mode every game, and his bad games having Staal to carry him, and vice versa is a nice thing. Yes, without him the Rangers still have one of the best defenses in the league right now, but with him they could be arguably the best shut-down defense in the league, and that plus Henrik = shutouts and 1-2 goal frustrating games for other teams.

If it got us Bobby Ryan or similar, I'd consider a package based around Staal at this point. The Rangers have drafted very well at D, and traded very well for good D prospects. I think the team could lose Staal and have little to no blueline woes, but it's not something I'd be running out to do either.

__________________
DMPD is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 01:55 PM
  #23
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Why? Good question. How about because he's not our best defenseman, has limited upside especially offensively, doesn't always make the best reads and decisions and because his name is Staal, he might actually bring back a fairly good return? Something to think about but only if our present group of d-men continue to develop and play well!
You need a reality check... Marc Staal is one of the best shutdown defenseman in the league.... Don't take it from Ranger fans, go ask fans of other teams how they feel about his game.... You obviously can't trust any opinion from Ranger fans since you are so convinced that the player's reputation is 100% because of his last name...

How does our defensive depth look if one of Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, or MDZ suffers a serious injury? Who's going to round out the top 4, Woywitka? Eminger? Stralman? How about Erixon? Mike Sauer has an extensive injury the history.... The minute we lose one of our current top 4 defensemen to injury, this team will be in rough shape on the back end...

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 02:04 PM
  #24
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
First off, its Erixon. 2nd Why would we trade Staal when our 5th & 6th dman are a combination of Eminger, Woywitka, and Stralman?

I can't even begin to fathom all this trade Staal BS, or Staal is over rated. Ugh.
I said only if certain things happen. I didn't say we should trade him the minute he is declared heathy enough to play. You can't fathom all of this trade Staal bs, or Staal is overrated? Consider yourself part of a large group of fans who post here that have unconditional love for Marc Staal, the 3rd best of the 3 brothers who play in the NHL.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
11-27-2011, 02:06 PM
  #25
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,770
vCash: 500
The fact of the matter is Girardi has never been as good as he was last year until last year, and ESPECIALLY not as good as he is this year, until this year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.