HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lines and Pairings

Old
10-21-2011, 03:44 AM
ilovemarkmessier

vCash: 500
Lines and Pairings

I would really like to see our Lines and pairings looking like this by mid season once torts figures out what I already have. First I would like to say I like the lines the way they are now. However if we wanna win a cup we need to really look at these more carefully. I would like to see it this way. I think Prust has the potential to score alot in this league with talented teammates and ice time. We have seen the past few games what Mcdonagh can do.

Prust-Richards-Gaborik

Callahan-Anisimov-Dubinsky

Stephan-Boyle-Fedetenko

Rupp-Newbury-Hagelin

Staal-Mcdonagh

Saur-Girardi

DelZotto-Erickson

This would balance out toughness and scoring alot better. The defensive pairing would really help with moving the puck up the ice. I wanted to send Erickson down for more seasoning but he looked great in Calgary and Woywitka look awful this guy needs to go terrible turnovers.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
I would really like to see our Lines and pairings looking like this by mid season once torts figures out what I already have. First I would like to say I like the lines the way they are now. However if we wanna win a cup we need to really look at these more carefully. I would like to see it this way. I think Prust has the potential to score alot in this league with talented teammates and ice time. We have seen the past few games what Mcdonagh can do.

Prust-Richards-Gaborik

Stephan-Boyle-Fedetenko

Rupp-Newbury-Hagelin

Staal-Mcdonagh

Saur-Girardi

DelZotto-Erickson

This would balance out toughness and scoring alot better. The defensive pairing would really help with moving the puck up the ice. I wanted to send Erickson down for more seasoning but he looked great in Calgary and Woywitka look awful this guy needs to go terrible turnovers.
Before I reply, just a few pet peeves
Stephan - Stepan
Saur - Sauer (could have been a typo)
Erikson - Erixon
Fedetenko - Fedotenko

Starting with the top line, I mean, we all love Prusty. He's a fighter, he's a great penalty killer, loves to hit. Offensive juggernaut? not so much. He's also not the fastest skater, and we need some speed to keep up with Gaborik. On top of that, he normally plays right wing. I have to say i completely disagree.

Pack line. nothing new there. you put Cally and Dubi on the wrong sides, but I imagine that to be a mistake.

Stepan has been playing brilliantly on the top line, i see no reason to move him to less talented team mates to make room for Prust. Feds is also a left winger.

Hagelin would probably be a better fit on the third line, and assuming this was our roster, you'd probably want Fedotenko on that checking line.

Where is WW? I understand this board hates him, but no chance Hagelin plays over him.

As for defense, I'd prefer to put Staal and Girardi back together. At this point, that HEALTHY top 4 is one of the best in the east, especially if McD keeps up this kind of gameplay.

Woywitka has looked just fine. Eminger on the other hand...

Erixon has done well in his limited role, but i'd rather he get that much better playing 25 minutes a game in hartford.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:23 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
Before I reply, just a few pet peeves
Stephan - Stepan
Saur - Sauer (could have been a typo)
Erikson - Erixon
Fedetenko - Fedotenko

Starting with the top line, I mean, we all love Prusty. He's a fighter, he's a great penalty killer, loves to hit. Offensive juggernaut? not so much. He's also not the fastest skater, and we need some speed to keep up with Gaborik. On top of that, he normally plays right wing. I have to say i completely disagree.

Pack line. nothing new there. you put Cally and Dubi on the wrong sides, but I imagine that to be a mistake.

Stepan has been playing brilliantly on the top line, i see no reason to move him to less talented team mates to make room for Prust. Feds is also a left winger.

Hagelin would probably be a better fit on the third line, and assuming this was our roster, you'd probably want Fedotenko on that checking line.

Where is WW? I understand this board hates him, but no chance Hagelin plays over him.

As for defense, I'd prefer to put Staal and Girardi back together. At this point, that HEALTHY top 4 is one of the best in the east, especially if McD keeps up this kind of gameplay.

Woywitka has looked just fine. Eminger on the other hand...

Erixon has done well in his limited role, but i'd rather he get that much better playing 25 minutes a game in hartford.

I respect your opinion but Woywitka looked awful tonight so did Eminger for that matter no way the kid doesnt stay up here at this point id be shocked. Playing staal and Girardi together is killing me I hope we dont go back to that. Neither of them can move the puck up the ice well. Something both Mcdonagh and Sauer excel at. I apologize for spelling errors

Old
10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
CM PUNK

i like our lines exactly how they are...stepan/richards/gaborik have looked great. feds/boyle/prust are starting to get going. and for the limited time they get the 4th line is decent...the only line that isn't going right now is the pack line and they have been playing together for a few years so there is no reason to not expect them to turn it around and get going. once the pack line gets going we'll have 3 really good lines.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Vitto79

If they don't make a trade the 4th line is just weird with a combo of Wolski, Christensen who are more offensive and Newbury , Rupp.

Wolski has to play top line to be effective but then that bumps Stepan down so I have no idea what the heck is going to happen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
petejudge

i would keep every line the way it is except have this as our 4th line:

rupp-newbury-wolski

i think you have to play wolski AND newbury over christensen, whose been completely invisible. while i'm not exactly a fan of newbury getting the call over avery, the way hes played has been very early avery-esque. he hits hard, skates hard, and forechecks very well. my issue with him is that he plays almost too fast for his own good..how many times have we seen him skating out of control and just run into the boards? for a guy whose closing in on 30 i expected him to have a little more control over himself, but maybe thats just the emotions of playing in the nhl.

anyway, newbury was scoring a lot for hartford. rupp is the big guy who can clear up space, and wolski is a pure goalscorer, plain and simple. if they can get matched up with bad defensive pairings and rupp can open the ice up, wolski and newbury could potentially hook up for goals.

putting prust on the first line is asinine. we all love him but he is not a 1st line talent by any stretch. he's great where he is; he forechecks well and can put in an occasional goal. him and boyle are both less effective when you split them up.

a big part of me wants to keep stepan at center, but with our depth in that position and his level of talent there's really no way you could complain about having him play the top line wing. he's been great. if we need to move him back there we definitely could, i think he's a good enough player that he could eventually be a guy to play every forward position.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Stepanformayor*

Prust on the first line? Stepan has been so good on that first line there is no way I am breaking that line up. The line that has struggled all year to this point has been the pack line. Everyone on this board gives this line a free pass all the time and truth be told this line has struggled all year. Unless there are some injuries Hagelin will not be here. There is no reason to change anything at this point. The way we have won the last two games is exactly how this team will win alot of there games this year.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
blueshirtbolt

Quote:

Prust-Richards-Gaborik

Stephan-Boyle-Fedetenko

Rupp-Newbury-Hagelin

Staal-Mcdonagh

Saur-Girardi

DelZotto-Erickson
Prust is probably my favourite Ranger but I think our first line needs to be all offense. Yeah he's scored a couple goals but i'd say they were more 'right place at the right time' chances rather than carefully planned goals.

blueshirtbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

first off how about learning the players names...
second prust on the first line come on now, he scored a shortie last night because he busts his ass every game and i love the guy for it but the guys not a scorer hes an above average bottom 6er, we dont need to balance out the lines your first line is your first your 4th the 4th they dont need to all be equal thats just rediculous

Quote:
I like the lines the way they are now
only thing i agree with, leave the lines as is their working now.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Vitto79

When they play Stepan on LW it leaves taht 4th line C spot. I assumed Rupp would move to C in the yr but so far they went with calling up Newbury.

If Wolski moves to LW on the top line then Stepan needs better wingers.

In the end Wolski is likely a goner for a equally over paid Dman. Hope I am wrong cause the Rangers need scoring and the guy is really talented.

trade pieces are obviously Wolski, Zuke, Christensen. I would not expect a ton back but a change of scenary type move. Eminger would be the one moved on D

only D men with 1 yr left on their deal ideally.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:04 AM
incident

Quote:
Staal-Mcdonagh

Saur-Girardi

DelZotto-Erickson
Just to point out the obvious -
L - L
R - R
L - L

It makes no sense to put Sauer and Girardi together.

incident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i would keep every line the way it is except have this as our 4th line:

rupp-newbury-wolski

i think you have to play wolski AND newbury over christensen, whose been completely invisible. while i'm not exactly a fan of newbury getting the call over avery, the way hes played has been very early avery-esque. he hits hard, skates hard, and forechecks very well. my issue with him is that he plays almost too fast for his own good..how many times have we seen him skating out of control and just run into the boards? for a guy whose closing in on 30 i expected him to have a little more control over himself, but maybe thats just the emotions of playing in the nhl.

anyway, newbury was scoring a lot for hartford. rupp is the big guy who can clear up space, and wolski is a pure goalscorer, plain and simple. if they can get matched up with bad defensive pairings and rupp can open the ice up, wolski and newbury could potentially hook up for goals.

putting prust on the first line is asinine. we all love him but he is not a 1st line talent by any stretch. he's great where he is; he forechecks well and can put in an occasional goal. him and boyle are both less effective when you split them up.

a big part of me wants to keep stepan at center, but with our depth in that position and his level of talent there's really no way you could complain about having him play the top line wing. he's been great. if we need to move him back there we definitely could, i think he's a good enough player that he could eventually be a guy to play every forward position.
We could start a whole other thread about whos more invisible in a game WW or Christanson. I would love Hagelin instead.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Vitto79

Can Wolski play a game with Richards and Gaborik before we crap on him?

EC is another story

Old
10-21-2011, 11:50 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If they don't make a trade the 4th line is just weird with a combo of Wolski, Christensen who are more offensive and Newbury , Rupp.

Wolski has to play top line to be effective but then that bumps Stepan down so I have no idea what the heck is going to happen
what SHOULD happen is wolski should be sent packing to get his cap hit off the books

Old
10-21-2011, 11:52 AM
WeWillWinTonight

You can make lines all you want but they are always going to change through out the game and season.

As for your lines however I'm not a fan

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Can Wolski play a game with Richards and Gaborik before we crap on him?
absolutely not. the only scenario that they should even think about putting wolski with richards and gaborik is if stepan gets hurt. stepan has played well there, is better and is part of the future. wolski is not

Old
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
what SHOULD happen is wolski should be sent packing to get his cap hit off the books
Right..because we're so cap constrained right now.

The guys yet to play a full healthy game with gaborik and Richards and people are already calling for his head:

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
And with that cap space we do what exactly?

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Doesn't Torts get killed for shuffling lines?

I don't see any reason to change what we have seen the last two games. Stepan looks great with Richards and Gaborik. The Pack line has been effective even if they're not scoring. Fedotenko, Boyle and Prust was the best line last night. So does shuffling the fourth line really matter?

When Staal comes back, they need to make a decision one Erixon and Del Zotto with one of them presumably going down and a decision on Woywitka and Eminger with one of them presumably becoming the 7th defenseman one being sent down or waived.

10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
When Staal comes back, they need to make a decision one Erixon and Del Zotto with one of them presumably going down and a decision on Woywitka and Eminger with one of them presumably becoming the 7th defenseman one being sent down or waived.
thats a tough call.i liked how Woywitka has played and Eminger lately hasnt been taking foolish penalties and his made some nice blocks.Erixon played his best game of his young career so far last night and Del Zotto has improved.i wouldnt want to send either down to be honest.

not sure what Torts will do,but its not going to be an easy decision.one thing i do know is once Staal and Sauer get back,this defense is going to be something freakishly good.

as for the OP and his line changes,like others have said,Prust on the 1st line does more damage then good.the lines the past 2 games have worked,leave them like they are.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
thats a tough call.i liked how Woywitka has played and Eminger lately hasnt been taking foolish penalties and his made some nice blocks.Erixon played his best game of his young career so far last night and Del Zotto has improved.i wouldnt want to send either down to be honest.

not sure what Torts will do,but its not going to be an easy decision.one thing i do know is once Staal and Sauer get back,this defense is going to be something freakishly good.

as for the OP and his line changes,like others have said,Prust on the 1st line does more damage then good.the lines the past 2 games have worked,leave them like they are.
Did the math wrong. Presumably they will send Bell back and then make a decision on Woywitka or Eminger.

Staal Girardi
Sauer-McD
MDZ-Erixon

Spare: Woywitka or Eminger

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Stepan - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Dubinsky - Callahan
Feds - Boyle - Prust
Rupp/Christ (Avery??) - AA - MZA

is this going to be the next lineshuffle attempt (I swear he shuffles lines more than a dealer in Vegas shuffles cards) by Torts? That 4th line looks a bit intriguging esp if Sean were to return (with MZA)

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
MAYO

Someone suggested that a balance of talent and toughness is having Prust-Rupp and Newbury in the lineup, ummmmm have you seen Rupp as of late, because I think we left him in Europe after Parros treated him like a rag doll! Get Avery back on this team and quick!! Yes, I went there, I said the "A" word!!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:

Wolski sucks....time to give up on this guy.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
absolutely not. the only scenario that they should even think about putting wolski with richards and gaborik is if stepan gets hurt. stepan has played well there, is better and is part of the future. wolski is not
Why would they not at at least try to put a guy with Wolski's potential on a line with Richards and Gaborik? And I don't think Stepan has played well, I think he has been average so far. He has 1 assist in 7 games.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote