HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Matt Finn - Guelph, OHL (2012, 35th overall, Toronto)

Old
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
How is it "setting them up" nicely for years... How do you know Finn was a "great" pick? Guys from 2007 and 2008 (4 and 5 years ago) like Brendan Smith, TJ Brennan, Scandella and Gaunce haven't even cracked NHL teams full time and are/were easily on par with Finn as prospects and fairly similar in style.

If/when Finn turns into a real NHL player its likely not going to be until 2017 and he will still be going through development/sheltering. There is so many things that can happen between now and then I don't know how you can say that.
As prospects, he has set them up very nicely.

If any other GM selects Rielly/Finn as his first two picks would you dispute my statement? The fact is, those are very impressive picks.

Try to find an analyst who disputes what I just said. You can't. The Leafs, defensively speaking, had a fantastic draft.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:09 AM
OptimusReimer34

3 assists for his last game. Not too shabby

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
How is it "setting them up" nicely for years... How do you know Finn was a "great" pick? Guys from 2007 and 2008 (4 and 5 years ago) like Brendan Smith, TJ Brennan, Scandella and Gaunce haven't even cracked NHL teams full time and are/were easily on par with Finn as prospects and fairly similar in style.

If/when Finn turns into a real NHL player its likely not going to be until 2017 and he will still be going through development/sheltering. There is so many things that can happen between now and then I don't know how you can say that.
If Smith was on virtually any team other than Detroit he would have been in the NHL long ago. They are notorious for keeping players in the minors for extended stays, especially d-men. They did the exact same thing with Kronwall and he has turned out ok

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
I was with you .... then ..
lol whatever.
Still a long way to go till he hits a Suter level guy is top 10 in the league quality.

Finn is too small to become that guy IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:58 AM
RogerRoeper*

What a dradt Burke had. Rielly and Finn. He has set up the Leafs on D for years to come.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:04 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

near PPG production in his draft year, for a defenseman prospect whose strengths are supposed to be defense and leadership and intangibles.

not bad.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
near PPG production in his draft year, for a defenseman prospect whose strengths are supposed to be defense and leadership and intangibles.

not bad.
.77 isn't really near PPG production, thus why the exaggeration on alot of posts I guess.

A solid 2nd pairing type of potential, not on any top 50 prospects to start the season, not sure he has moved up enough really as the 13 guys will be on next seasons list as well.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

LD Matt Finn - Guelph, OHL (2012 draft) Thread not Dougie Hamilton.

12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Right now it looks like Finn will have a shot at next years WJC team, that would be a great experience for him. I haven't gotten much of a chance to watch him play either, so it would be nice for us Leafs fans to get a good look at him. From what I've read, he plays a Gunnarson-esque game but with a better shot, and could be a valuable second pairing D-man down the line.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:49 PM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Right now it looks like Finn will have a shot at next years WJC team, that would be a great experience for him. I haven't gotten much of a chance to watch him play either, so it would be nice for us Leafs fans to get a good look at him. From what I've read, he plays a Gunnarson-esque game but with a better shot, and could be a valuable second pairing D-man down the line.
Do you know of what competition he would be facing in making the team? What other defenders do you see vying for a spot on the world junior team.

Also does anyone know if he has mono again? I read it somewhere but can't seem to confirm it.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:26 AM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post
Do you know of what competition he would be facing in making the team? What other defenders do you see vying for a spot on the world junior team.

Also does anyone know if he has mono again? I read it somewhere but can't seem to confirm it.
The article mentions an illness but doesn't say much else

http://www.guelphstorm.com/article/t...r-storm/136465

will13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post

pretty sure he tweeted he was going through it for the 2nd time

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
pretty sure he tweeted he was going through it for the 2nd time
Well I don't have twitter and don't go on it lol, but thanks guys for answering me!

Old
01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Garyboy

The Dorsal Finn shall show his worth.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Seen him twice this year.

He looks like he's out grown the OHL, which is expected considering his age and draft status. Looked very good in his own end.

Didn't have great offensive nights either time I went, so surprised to see he's a PPG d-man right now.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:57 PM
BIitz
Kamo and I

Hah, was thinking the same thing when I watched him.

Very economic player, never really seen him skate much with the puck, loves to move it quickly. Makes some nice pinches and rushes from the blueline in, but I never see him make a high risk play.

I'm pretty surprised by his point production so far, because when I watched him Leslie looked like the better offensive defender. He just plays a really clean game.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Signed his ELC with the Leafs. Surprised to see him staying at PPG, can't wait for him to get to play in the AHL.

Old
11-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Signed his ELC with the Leafs. Surprised to see him staying at PPG, can't wait for him to get to play in the AHL.
Totally. Congrats to him.

I've not actually seen him play. Those who have, what can you tell me?

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post

Solid as a rock. Completely unfazed by anything in his own end, makes solid breakout plays as well either by skating or passing. He plays a very safe style so I wouldn't expect the production to continue at any other level (Guelph is an offensive powerhouse and Finn plays powerplay), but he should be a valuable minute-munching defenseman

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Garyboy

The Dorsal Finn t-shirts will be big sellers.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post

When you see him play you don't see much offence in his game, like he's not often going to start the rush, isn't going to try to make pretty plays with his hands, and doesn't seem to ever make a pretty pass where you stop and think "man that was a beauty of a pass". But he's not a liability in the offensive zone. He can keep the puck alive, he's smart with the puck, his shot is decent, knows when to shoot at the traffic and knows when to pass it down the boards or to the other blue-liner.

His defensive game is sort of the same idea. He's always in a good position, he's smart with his stick, and doesn't turn over the puck. His skating is good enough to have an NHL job one day. He's a safe guy in his own zone. He's not soft either. With all that said, he's not an intimidating guy on the ice, he isn't massive, he's isn't incredibly strong, I wouldn't say he's one of the top shut-down D in the CHL for sure.

Overall, he's pretty much a swiss army knife defensemen, does a little bit of everything, but not anything surprisingly well.

Imo he'll rather be a very good all around 2nd/3rd pairing NHL D if his game can translate, or he'll be more of a jack of all trades but master of none, and not be able to find an NHL job for himself.