HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 01:04 AM
litflyersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Yea I just read on Espn that the first two years have 14.75 million of the guaranteed money. It also saves the Eagles 6.5 million in cap space this year as well. Great contract for the team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...-jacksons-deal
Good deal for the Eagles but I'm banking on Jackson pulling a T.O. in 2 years complaining about the back end of this deal.

Old
03-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Now that Ive seen the details im better with the deal than I was before. The thing that confuses me is that Vincent Jackson got 5yrs 55 mil compared to deseans 5 yr 51 mil. Desean isnt in the same league as Vincent.
Huh?

I'll admit I have not watched much football in the past 2 years. I just don't really care for the organization anymore... But, this is the Vincent Jackson from San Diego correct?

At the very least Desean is comparable to Vincent Jackson. Honestly though I think he makes much more of an impact on the game.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Huh?

I'll admit I have not watched much football in the past 2 years. I just don't really care for the organization anymore... But, this is the Vincent Jackson from San Diego correct?

At the very least Desean is comparable to Vincent Jackson. Honestly though I think he makes much more of an impact on the game.
I'll have to agree with you here. DeSean Jackson finished with 961 yards last year, despite some subpar performances, off-field and on-field distractions and having a bad year all together. With the contract off his mind, he should be able to step up his game again and then he is at the very least worth as much as Vincent Jackson, who got overpaid IMHO.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
I'll have to agree with you here. DeSean Jackson finished with 961 yards last year, despite some subpar performances, off-field and on-field distractions and having a bad year all together. With the contract off his mind, he should be able to step up his game again and then he is at the very least worth as much as Vincent Jackson, who got overpaid IMHO.
Agreed.

And that's also only one year, and doesn't factor in rushing or returning.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

I think Jackson is content and will under-perform his new contract. Luckily NFL contracts are a joke, and if he does play poorly he will get the boot in two years.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Well, Washburn wasn't the DC for the Titans, so it wasn't under Washburn, but it was with his system. And really, they just need someone better there. I'd love it if they grabbed Kuechly and signed a big time LB, just so we wouldn't have to worry about getting shredded by the run or by TE/RB pass receptions.
Washburn was their defensive line coach for like 12 years...

Old
03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Washburn was their defensive line coach for like 12 years...
Yes, but he was not the defensive coordinator. I actually read an interview with him where he talked about how he realized he didn't like being a d-coordinator back when the Eagles hired him. Something about it just being something he wasn't good at and didn't like and he just wanted to work with the linemen because they were simple like him...along those lines.

Perhaps I was being a bit pedantic, but the system in Tennessee wasn't Washburn's system, he just controlled part of it, from my understanding.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Well, 5 years, $47.5 million for Nicks. Signed with the Bucs.

Now just re-up Mathis and then focus on the D.

Also, Winston Justice was traded to the Colts to move up 15 spots in the 6th round, or as Dennis Deitch put it, 1.48 bags of baseballs. lol
Why are there no signs that we are trying to re-sign Mathis? Without him last year our line would have been an absolute mess.

Now Baltimore is desperate and will possibly give up Grubbs type money for him. We never should have let it go this far.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Yes, but he was not the defensive coordinator. I actually read an interview with him where he talked about how he realized he didn't like being a d-coordinator back when the Eagles hired him. Something about it just being something he wasn't good at and didn't like and he just wanted to work with the linemen because they were simple like him...along those lines.

Perhaps I was being a bit pedantic, but the system in Tennessee wasn't Washburn's system, he just controlled part of it, from my understanding.
Yeah I was talking about being able to play behind the wide-9 formation that Washburn loves to use both in Tennessee and here in Philly.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Amateur Hour

Yeah... say sayonara to Evan Mathis. Shame, but it sounds like the Ravens are offering him a pretty lucrative deal, and I imagine there's no way the Eagles are going to match it. Watch Mathis get something like 5 years and $30 million. Well-deserved, too, happy for the guy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ng-Mathis.html

Old
03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah... say sayonara to Evan Mathis. Shame, but it sounds like the Ravens are offering him a pretty lucrative deal, and I imagine there's no way the Eagles are going to match it. Watch Mathis get something like 5 years and $30 million. Well-deserved, too, happy for the guy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ng-Mathis.html
Apparently Eagles have offered to exceed Ravens offering: https://twitter.com/#!/RoobCSN/statu...00344605605888

Old
03-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Apparently Eagles have offered to exceed Ravens offering: https://twitter.com/#!/RoobCSN/statu...00344605605888
Things I did not see coming: that.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

After all the trouble they went through last year to get that O-line in order - which they did for the most part by the end of the season - it would behoove them to at least try and keep it together for this upcoming season. If true, I'm not wholly surprised they offered Mathis a better deal, especially in light of all these recent deals they've been making with other veteran Eagles. They seem to want to keep the core together.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
more on that

Quote:
The Eagles have assured Evan Mathis that they’ll beat the Ravens’ contract offer for the veteran free agent guard, who blossomed playing for the Eagles last year.

Mathis, an unrestricted free agent, took one visit, to Baltimore, and received an offer for a long-term multi-year deal before he left late Friday morning.

According to a league source, Mathis informed the Eagles of the details of the offer, and the Eagles told him they would not only match the offer but beat it.
link: http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/eagles...120&feedID=704

Old
03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Rex88

5 years and 25.5 million is a big price tag for Mathis but he was a need for sure

Old
03-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88 View Post
5 years and 25.5 million is a big price tag for Mathis but he was a need for sure
Only 7 million guaranteed. Great deal for the Eagles, considering the deals Grubb and Nicks got. Now they have continuity on the O-Line, and have been locking up their own talent. A deal for McCoy should be next, it sounds.

I'm not sure where things are on the LB front. Some tweets over the weekend about how the Tulloch and Lofton are getting big pushes from their current teams to stay, and that Tulloch is pricing himself out of the market, supposedly. I'd like to see some movement from the Eagles here, but so far I can't complain too much.

Also saw that Plaxico Burress is in town to talk to the Eagles. Would be nice to have a red zone threat like that, but the defense needs lots of help kids. Let's focus over there, m'kay?

Old
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

I think I just became a Broncos fan.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
TheLegendkiller

I think we should grab Tebow. No joke, I'd take him as a back-up. I think the guy is a winner.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I think we should grab Tebow. No joke, I'd take him as a back-up. I think the guy is a winner.
No, the list of Eagles players I hate is long enough as it is.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Why on Earth would you think that? The guy isn't even mediocre as a QB, and his team was beyond lucky last year in order for him to be a "winner". His fundamentals are terrible, his accuracy and decision making when throwing the ball are poor, and the team would have to have a totally different offense for him. I see no reason to have him on this team. Zero.

Unless we think it would suddenly lead other not all that great teams to make stupid plays repeatedly against the Eagles. He got exposed completely by a very mediocre Patriots defense.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Why on Earth would you think that? The guy isn't even mediocre as a QB, and his team was beyond lucky last year in order for him to be a "winner". His fundamentals are terrible, his accuracy and decision making when throwing the ball are poor, and the team would have to have a totally different offense for him. I see no reason to have him on this team. Zero.

Unless we think it would suddenly lead other not all that great teams to make stupid plays repeatedly against the Eagles. He got exposed completely by a very mediocre Patriots defense.
That's why he would be the backup. Tebow could be used in a wildcat formation or thrown in as a FB here or there or run the option. I agree he isn't a very good QB, but neither is Kafka or Edwards (or Young, etc). Which is why they are all backups. I'd rather have a below average QB with above average (if not elite) athleticism and other intangibles as a backup over a below average QB with average to below average athleticism and nothing more as a backup.

As stated earlier, if nothing else, the guy is a winner. Where he goes, winning follows. Luck. Stupid penalties. Whatever. A win is a win.

That being said, I wouldn't deal anything significant for him. But if they are asking for a late round pick or something to that effect (which I assume they are not), I would go after him.

Old
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's why he would be the backup. Tebow could be used in a wildcat formation or thrown in as a FB here or there or run the option. I agree he isn't a very good QB, but neither is Kafka or Edwards (or Young, etc). Which is why they are all backups. I'd rather have a below average QB with above average (if not elite) athleticism and other intangibles as a backup over a below average QB with average to below average athleticism and nothing more as a backup.
What Kafka and Edwards can both do is throw a football better than Tebow. In the Eagles' offense, that's what you need: someone who can throw the football.

And why would you use him as a Wildcat package? He's not a threat throwing the ball!!! That's the whole point of that. And Vick runs it better than him anyway. Using him as a FB? Since when did the Eagles run with a fullback, or anyone other than McCoy? Hell, they don't run McCoy enough, and he's one of the best RBs in the league. So you'd rather bring in a guy to occasionally run trick plays, rather than use the weapons you have that defenses already can't handle, and take touches away from better players (McCoy, Maclin, Jackson)?

I see no point in having your backup be a guy who couldn't run your offense at all, when your starter is Michael Vick who is at a high risk of injury. Tebow cannot run the Eagles offense. Period, end of story. He can't throw the ball 15 or 20 times a game, let alone 30. Is Edwards a good QB? No, but he's better at throwing the ball then Tebow will probably ever be, and that's what the Eagles need.

Quote:
As stated earlier, if nothing else, the guy is a winner. Where he goes, winning follows. Luck. Stupid penalties. Whatever. A win is a win.

That being said, I wouldn't deal anything significant for him. But if they are asking for a late round pick or something to that effect (which I assume they are not), I would go after him.
Luck runs out. Streaks like his cannot last. Oh, wait, it did end. I've never understood that sentiment. Players go on random hot streaks all the time, but they eventually get figured out, and those streaks end. Goalies in hockey, pitchers/hitters in baseball, even QBs. Looks at Kevin Kolb, who is a far superior passer to Tebow...he's come crashing back down to Earth after some impressive outings.

I'm also not sure how Tebow gets credit for things like that idiotic play the Bears made last season, or any of the other screwups and choke jobs that happened. But apparently people just love Timmy so much that he gets credit for EVERYTHING.

Old
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Tulloch signs in Detroit.

Old
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

Who do we have now as a back up? Kafka and Edwards, neither are going to be stars in this league or be much better than they are right now. Tebow has the potential to be better and is always willing to adapt to a new offense and new coaches. Reid's always been a good QB coach and I think he would get the best out of Tebow. Plus, its not like we would have to give up much to get him. Third round pick at best and god knows this franchise will ever draft a top qb on its own...

Old
03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
What Kafka and Edwards can both do is throw a football better than Tebow. In the Eagles' offense, that's what you need: someone who can throw the football.

And why would you use him as a Wildcat package? He's not a threat throwing the ball!!! That's the whole point of that. And Vick runs it better than him anyway. Using him as a FB? Since when did the Eagles run with a fullback, or anyone other than McCoy? Hell, they don't run McCoy enough, and he's one of the best RBs in the league. So you'd rather bring in a guy to occasionally run trick plays, rather than use the weapons you have that defenses already can't handle, and take touches away from better players (McCoy, Maclin, Jackson)?

I see no point in having your backup be a guy who couldn't run your offense at all, when your starter is Michael Vick who is at a high risk of injury. Tebow cannot run the Eagles offense. Period, end of story. He can't throw the ball 15 or 20 times a game, let alone 30. Is Edwards a good QB? No, but he's better at throwing the ball then Tebow will probably ever be, and that's what the Eagles need.
He'd only have to run the offense if Vick goes down. If it came to that and he truly couldn't run the offense, you could tailor the offense to him like Denver did. That isn't ideal, but do you really think that Kafka or Edwards running the offense is going to be better than Tebow doing it or tailoring the offense to Tebow? Just like that scenario, if Tebow can run as a FB or wildcat, you draw up plays for him specially. Kafka and Edwards on the bench are really going to help out the offense more than a couple plays drawn up especially for Tebow? There really is no harm in getting him (unless the price is too high). Vick goes down, I'd have just as much, if not more, faith in Tebow than Kafka or Edwards.

Quote:
Luck runs out. Streaks like his cannot last. Oh, wait, it did end. I've never understood that sentiment. Players go on random hot streaks all the time, but they eventually get figured out, and those streaks end. Goalies in hockey, pitchers/hitters in baseball, even QBs. Looks at Kevin Kolb, who is a far superior passer to Tebow...he's come crashing back down to Earth after some impressive outings.
Luck? Streaks? He's won at every level. It isn't a fluke when you repeatedly do it. There are different factors, sure, but the guy is a winner. Yes, Kevin Kolb came crashing down. But he was good for what, six games in his entire NFL career while putting up good numbers at a pass heavy school in NCAA? Tebow is a proven winner and leader. How he's won is irrelevant. He's the type of player you want on your team.

Quote:
I'm also not sure how Tebow gets credit for things like that idiotic play the Bears made last season, or any of the other screwups and choke jobs that happened. But apparently people just love Timmy so much that he gets credit for EVERYTHING.
He gets credit for winning. Teams make bad plays all the time and other players exploit them. Why shouldn't he get credit? So what if he makes only two good plays a game? If the team wins, what else matters? Are you going to complain if he comes here and Vick is injured and Tebow "sucks" in relief but they win the SB? No, because winning is all that matters and it is pretty much all Tebow does. But yeah, let's keep two QB's with absolutely no upside to back up Vick instead of a QB with a very high upside.

Closed Thread