HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Osweiler could be from late first (some have him late first) to late 3rd. Cousins 2-4th. Wilson is 3-5th. I like Wilson also though. I was reading stuff about him, the only MAIN problem with him is his height. He has an arm, speed, accuracy, etc etc. Only problem, like I said, is his height, which some scouts said he wont be drafted due to it.
Wow, I didn't think Osweiler was that highly regarded. If he's picked late first I think that would be a stretch. I wouldn't waste a second or third on Cousins or Wilson, but if they are available 4-5th rounds I'd be ok with it. I don't think either are that big of an upgrade, if at all, over the backups we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I'm puzzled by this. You won't respond to actual statistics or facts, and you won't change your thinking at all despite evidence or provide evidence to back up your argument? That's a strange way to operate.

I'm genuinely puzzled by this. Are there issues or topics where you change your mind on something based on evidence that others give to you? Or do you not do this? Is there any sort of evidence that WOULD change your mind?
I could say the same to you. This is why I just conceded. You gave me evidence, I gave you evidence. You like your evidence better. I like my evidence better. Your evidence is that he is not a good QB. My evidence is that he wins games.

Instead of going on and on with me repeating myself and you repeating yourself and you not agreeing with my view and me not agreeing with your view, I just said you are right. He sucks. Move on. For a perfect example, go read some of the earlier Bryz threads where me and another poster go for quite a few pages on what it means to "earn" a contract.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If they are going to draft a QB, I'd like to see them get Osweiler from AZ St. Wilson would be cool too. I wonder what round these guys are going to go. Prob 4-5?
Blake Osweiler is getting insanely overrated due to his height and arm. As usual, scouts, draftniks, and casual fans are falling in love with a player's measurables above his on-field performance. I don't see what the fuss is about and was really never impressed when watching Osweiler play. In fact, I found myself uttering "this dude sucks" numerous times. Just my opinion, though.

I've said it before in this thread, but my favorite QB in the nation is Geno Smith. He'll be in the 2013 draft, and I'd be over the moon if he's who the Eagles select to succeed Vick. Dude's for real.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Blake Osweiler is getting insanely overrated due to his height and arm. As usual, scouts, draftniks, and casual fans are falling in love with a player's measurables above his on-field performance. I don't see what the fuss is about and was really never impressed when watching Osweiler play. In fact, I found myself uttering "this dude sucks" numerous times. Just my opinion, though.

I've said it before in this thread, but my favorite QB in the nation is Geno Smith. He'll be in the 2013 draft, and I'd be over the moon if he's who the Eagles select to succeed Vick. Dude's for real.
Yeah I don't think Osweiler is a first round pick. I like him and I think the comparisons people are making is to Phillip Rivers (because of his size). I doubt the guy every becomes a star (or even a starter, for that matter) but I think he'd be a solid backup if he's available in the 4-5th rounds. I might take a flyer on him in the third round, depending on who else is available at other positions there.

Geno Smith is pretty sick at WVU, but I doubt they draft him next year. I imagine he would be a 2nd-3rd rounder though so maybe Reid goes for it. If his stock rises up to the first round though I don't think they'd pull the trigger with Vick under contract for another year (two years? can't remember) with some potential gas still left in the tank.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Amateur Hour

Just realized I called him Blake Osweiler instead of Brock. My bad. Opinion remains the same, regardless of the name brain fart.

I've been watching Geno since his third game as a starter when he shredded Maryland. He's a pro QB and is my dark horse Heisman Trophy candidate for 2012. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he vaults himself into the first round. As for Vick, all his bonus money will be paid out by the end of this season, so the Eagles can cut him without significant financial penalties if he performs like he did in 2011.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Just realized I called him Blake Osweiler instead of Brock. My bad. Opinion remains the same, regardless of the name brain fart.

I've been watching Geno since his third game as a starter when he shredded Maryland. He's a pro QB and is my dark horse Heisman Trophy candidate for 2012. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he vaults himself into the first round. As for Vick, all his bonus money will be paid out by the end of this season, so the Eagles can cut him without significant financial penalties if he performs like he did in 2011.
Yeah I was thinking that too, especially since he is in the Big 12 now. Could be an RG3-type season for him shredding porous Big 12 defenses like it's nothing. College football is so much better than the NFL. Haha.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Go For It

Peters ruptures Achilles, likely out for season.

Ouch.

Last edited by Go For It: 03-30-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Whoops
Old
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
BWAVgal
A sad Flyers fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Justice ruptures Achilles, likely out for season.

Ouch.
Jason Peters, not Winston Justice. Big loss, but at least he won't take a zillion false start penalties this year.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Jason Peters, not Winston Justice. Big loss, but at least he won't take a zillion false start penalties this year.
Yeah...don't know how I messed that up.

Disagree, at least for last year, with the false start penalties though.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Yeah...don't know how I messed that up.

Disagree, at least for last year, with the false start penalties though.
?? He had a better overall year, but he averaged almost one false start penalty a game... at least.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
?? He had a better overall year, but he averaged almost one false start penalty a game... at least.
And he was still one of the top 3 OLs in the league. I'll take that trade-off. This could be the worst possible injury to this team besides Vick or Shady, and it may force their hand at the draft to draft a potential impact OL instead of a depth OL they can groom into a starter. I believe Marcus McNeil is still a FA though?...

Rough though, same injuyr as Ryan Howard, but an extra 125 lbs on that ankle and more agility required for his job...potential career ender tbh.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Really? Somehow I don't remember that.

EDIT: Not saying your wrong, I just don't remember.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
And he was still one of the top 3 OLs in the league. I'll take that trade-off. This could be the worst possible injury to this team besides Vick or Shady, and it may force their hand at the draft to draft a potential impact OL instead of a depth OL they can groom into a starter. I believe Marcus McNeil is still a FA though?...

Rough though, same injur as Howard, but an extra 125 lbs on that ankle and more agility required for his job...potential career ender tbh.
Im not disagreeing with you, but he said he didnt remember the penalities. I dont know a website that tracks which players commit what penalities and how much, but Im fairly confident. The year before he didnt have the best year, but I 100% agree with you this past season he was very good.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Im not disagreeing with you, but he said he didnt remember the penalities. I dont know a website that tracks which players commit what penalities and how much, but Im fairly confident. The year before he didnt have the best year, but I 100% agree with you this past season he was very good.
It really sucks because OL might have been the surest thing we had going into the season, after their strong ending last year. Now the best lineman is down and he's the one guarding Vick's blindside.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Also some options people are throwing out there:
Quote:
Demetrius Bell, from the Bills, and Giant Kareem McKenzie are still out there.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...145185505.html

At the draft, philly.com showed some and I think Mike Adams. He will be a latter draft choice, due to consistency and effort issues. Hopefully Mudd though can get him to be consistent. The artle says a consistent Adams is the 2nd best lineman in the draft.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
It really sucks because OL might have been the surest thing we had going into the season, after their strong ending last year. Now the best lineman is down and he's the one guarding Vick's blindside.
Well in Vick's case, the right side is the blind side.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Amateur Hour

In a word: Catastrophic. Given Peters' size and the requirements of the job, it wouldn't surprise me if this ruins the rest of his career. Sigh... just our luck. I really feel for the guy, he's Howard Mudd's wet dream.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Wrench, meet plans.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Well in Vick's case, the right side is the blind side.
Ah you're right. I knew he was a lefty, I just pictured it backwards.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Amateur Hour

I know this means next to nothing to everybody given news of the Peters injury, but I'm hoping the Eagles' supposed interest in Yeremiah Bell is legitimate because he'd be an excellent addition to the secondary -- one of those shrewd, under-the-radar signings that could pay major dividends. He's a veteran safety who's been starting for four years in the league (hasn't missed a game) and posted 100+ tackles each season, in addition to serving as one of the Dolphins' emotional leaders. Bell is totally underrated yet an undeniable impact player who can blitz, make plays on the ball, and serve as an overall field general. Even though he just turned 34, there isn't much tread on the tires, and I think he has another few years remaining where he can play at his current level. Plus, Bell is familiar with new secondary coach Todd Bowles from their time together in Miami... I think he even said Bowles is primarily responsible for the success he's had. Seems like a logical move to me, especially given how green and unproven the Eagles are at the safety position. In fact, I bet Bell would win the starting SS job in camp.

Just feels right. By the way, I'm someone who wanted the Eagles to sign Andre Carter last offseason.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Phileeguy
Thanks, Jimmy

Yeremiah Bell hmm? I wouldn't mind them looking into him. I'd also like to think they'd be looking into another Bell - Demetrius Bell - with their current situation. He's a FA now out of Buffalo. I don't know how interested the Bills are into resigning him as he's come off an injury, but he showed improvement before his shoulder got hurt last year. Obviously you don't want to replace one injured LT with an injury prone one, but last year might've been just an anomaly.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
kicksave27

Peters, when not false starting is actually one of the best left tackles in the league. Didn't Shawn Andrews blow an ACL before he went nuts?

Old
03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Peters, when not false starting is actually one of the best left tackles in the league. Didn't Shawn Andrews blow an ACL before he went nuts?
Thought his was mostly back injuries.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Oh goodie, now Andy has an excuse for another failed season.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Go For It

Demetress Bell agreed to a 5-year contract today.

After this season, I wonder if Bell/Peters are released or traded, or if Bell or Herremans is moved back to guard.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Sheesh, this draft is going to be interesting. I could easily see them trading out of the first round. My initial thought as draft Kuechy, but then Ryans was signed. Then when Peters went down I figured they'd be going with an OL, then Bell was signed. Maybe now DL? Safety?

Should be interesting. I read one mock saying they might trade up to get Tannehill. That would be an absolutely horrible idea. I think there are better QB's that would be available in the 3-5 rounds than Tannehill, especially in the first, and ESPECIALLY trading up to get him. Osweiller, Wilson, Foles, and Lindley should be available in the mid to late rounds and I'd put them on the same level as Tannehill (Osweiller, Wilson, Foles), or slightly behind (Lindley). If they are going to take a QB, they should grab one of them somewhere around 3-5 rounds if you ask me.

Closed Thread