HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Adam Caplan ‏ @caplannfl
Chris Polk agrees to a deal with the #Eagles. Good spot for him as they have an opening for the #2 job.
And the Eagles apparently also signed Cliff Harris CB, Oregon.
Surprised Harris didn't get drafted. Wasn't he a pretty decent player at Oregon?

Old
04-28-2012, 09:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
This time last year, there were people who thought Cliff Harris was going to be a 1st round pick.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
04-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

I don't mind the Bryce Brown pick but I doubt he makes it out of camp. The eagles don't put up with headcases, especially 7th round pick ones.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:05 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that didn't really like the Kendricks pick? It's a typical Eagles pick. A small, fast, undersized guy for the front 7. Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah, with almost every single linebacking corps we've had under Reid. I get that we got Ryans who brings size, but I'd have preferred a LB that is a true tackler, and not a rusher, which seems like Kendricks' MO. Kendricks supposedly plays bigger than his size, but I'd still rather have a guy that's bigger and a sure tackler than another rusher. Between Jenkins, Cole, Graham, Dixon, Babin, and Cox on the d-line with the wide 9 system, getting pressure isn't going to be a problem, at all. Tackling still may be IMO.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Sounds like former Rutgers QB Tom Savage. Started at Rutgers. Transferred to Arizona and sat out last year. Tried to transfer back to RU but the NCAA blocked him from doing so. Not entirely sure if he is still on Arizona or what. I think he went back to Rutgers to help his family or something so he might just be out of football (don't quote me on that, pure speculation).

EDIT: He didn't have any off-field issues though. Class act IIRC.
Tom Savage was a jerk in grade school lol.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:43 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Sometimes, coaches can exaggerate about players they’ve just drafted. But Andy Reid wasn’t kidding when he said that defensive end Vinny Curry “might be the biggest Eagles fan ever.”

When the second round pick from Neptune, N.J. met reporters Saturday, he displayed all the emotion, passion, sense of history and pride of the thousands he’ll soon be playing in front of at the Linc. His eyes welled as he talked about meeting heroes such as Brian Dawkins and Mike Vick. He name-checked Randall Cunningham and Troy Vincent, and insisted that it was Freddie Mitchell who originated the championship belt celebration. He said he wouldn’t allow cameras into his home on draft night, because he didn’t want to have to take down all of his Eagles gear.

More at: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1tNEk6lU6

great story!!

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 04-30-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Am I the only one that didn't really like the Kendricks pick? It's a typical Eagles pick. A small, fast, undersized guy for the front 7. Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah, with almost every single linebacking corps we've had under Reid. I get that we got Ryans who brings size, but I'd have preferred a LB that is a true tackler, and not a rusher, which seems like Kendricks' MO. Kendricks supposedly plays bigger than his size, but I'd still rather have a guy that's bigger and a sure tackler than another rusher. Between Jenkins, Cole, Graham, Dixon, Babin, and Cox on the d-line with the wide 9 system, getting pressure isn't going to be a problem, at all. Tackling still may be IMO.
You need to watch Kendricks play.

He's not small, just shorter than ideal for the linebacker position. At 5-11 and 240 pounds, he's built like a brick ****house and plays big. This isn't some 5-10, 220-pound tweener who can't hold up at the point of attack. Kendricks has tremendous upper AND lower body strength and generates serious power from his low center of gravity. Plus, he's an excellent tackler who delivers kill shots on the regular and is a gifted blitzer (13.5 career sacks in college). Combine all that with insane 4.47 speed and elite explosion/quickness and you have yourself an assassin on the football field who resembles a seek-and-destroy missile with his style of play. He'll be a fan favorite in no time.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
You need to watch Kendricks play.

He's not small, just shorter than ideal for the linebacker position. At 5-11 and 240 pounds, he's built like a brick ****house and plays big. This isn't some 5-10, 220-pound tweener who can't hold up at the point of attack. Kendricks has tremendous upper AND lower body strength and generates serious power from his low center of gravity. Plus, he's an excellent tackler who delivers kill shots on the regular and is a gifted blitzer (13.5 career sacks in college). Combine all that with insane 4.47 speed and elite explosion/quickness and you have yourself an assassin on the football field who resembles a seek-and-destroy missile with his style of play. He'll be a fan favorite in no time.
Its hard to cover a TE when you're 5-11 though. He sounds like he'll be a better player than the other LB's they've taken in the past though.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Its hard to cover a TE when you're 5-11 though. He sounds like he'll be a better player than the other LB's they've taken in the past though.
Kendricks is 5'11" with a 39.5" vertical, a 75 5/8" wingspan (that's nearly 6'4"), 31 5/8" arms, and he's fast enough to hang with every TE in the league. I'm not overly concerned. We're talking about a guy who became one of the most athletic LBs in the entire league the second he was drafted.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Say 'high motor'

I like the pick for the Eagles, but any undersized front 7 guy with speed automatically gets characterized with a 'high motor' by Andy

Old
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
One of the first points made by Reid and co after the pick was that he covered MUCH bigger TEs while at Cal. They don't see it being an issue.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
As big as 6'6" Jason Witten, 6'4" Fred Davis, 6'6" 275 lb. Jake Ballard, 6'5" Heath Miller, 6'5" Brandon Pettigrew, 6'6" Jimmy Graham, and 6'5" Jermaine Gresham just to name a few of his future opponents next season?

Old
04-30-2012, 11:15 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
As big as 6'6" Jason Witten, 6'4" Fred Davis, 6'6" 275 lb. Jake Ballard, 6'5" Heath Miller, 6'5" Brandon Pettigrew, 6'6" Jimmy Graham, and 6'5" Jermaine Gresham just to name a few of his future opponents next season?
Yes. College TEs are just as big, or just as fast. His challenge will be covering a mix of the two. PAC-10 TEs are no slouches though. Stanford's went 1st round I believe.

edit: in fact, most college TEs are a mix of the two. TEs are usually the best all around athletes on the team. They just don't make the NFL as easily because you're expected to be able to block as well, as well as injuries, or not fitting into an offense.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Kendricks is 5'11" with a 39.5" vertical, a 75 5/8" wingspan (that's nearly 6'4"), 31 5/8" arms, and he's fast enough to hang with every TE in the league. I'm not overly concerned. We're talking about a guy who became one of the most athletic LBs in the entire league the second he was drafted.
That's important.

I don't follow football like I used to, so I don't know scouting reports and I don't really watch college at all anymore.

The problem the Eagles always had with the LB's they drafted is that they were undersized, and ahh stubby I guess you could say. So if he's got long arms that's a big benefit. It helps you get off blocks because you're not as easy to engage, and it's really useful in coverage.

Also, there is going to only be a handful of times where you actually use your standstill vertical leap. There number itself is really useful, it's just knowing that he can jump. Hopefully he has the ability to jump on the run, when off balance, and has decent body control because that will make up somewhat for his lack of height when he's in coverage.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Junior Seau dead at 43 from a suicide.

Stunned.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Birds sign shady to a nice 5 year 42 mil contract...25 million garunteed. I think that's a great contract

Old
05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Birds sign shady to a nice 5 year 42 mil contract...25 million garunteed. I think that's a great contract
Wow! That's a ****ing bargain! I was thinking 6 years for $60-65 million and $30-35 million guaranteed... and I would've been more than okay with it.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:19 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Wow! That's a ****ing bargain! I was thinking 6 years for $60-65 million and $30-35 million guaranteed... and I would've been more than okay with it.
Running backs just don't have much leverage these days.

Old
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Running backs just don't have much leverage these days.
and they really shouldnt, a shelf life for a running back is about 6-7 years imo. then they just fall off a cliff and are done.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:02 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
and they really shouldnt, a shelf life for a running back is about 6-7 years imo. then they just fall off a cliff and are done.
Yup pretty much. And teams are starting to acknowledge that having a star running back really just isn't that important any more and it's more cost effective and less risky to use a platoon. Lesean probably realizes that one bad cut or weird hit in preseason could injure him in a way in which he's never the same player. If the money's on the table, take it.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:10 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yup pretty much. And teams are starting to acknowledge that having a star running back really just isn't that important any more and it's more cost effective and less risky to use a platoon. Lesean probably realizes that one bad cut or weird hit in preseason could injure him in a way in which he's never the same player. If the money's on the table, take it.
I really hope this won't be the case for Shady and he can remain to be healthy RB for years to come. He reminds me so much of Sanders with the way he can cut back.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I wouldn't say its a bargain, it still makes him the 3rd highest paid running back in the league...id say its a fair contract in that case. He's def a top 5 running back in the game today.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Jack de la Hoya

A bit off topic, but awful story out of the Tampa Bay organization...

Quote:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Brian Price missed the team's OTA's this week after being hospitalized for exhaustion and grief in the wake of his sister's death, his agent has told local media.

Price's sister Bridget, 30, was killed in an automobile accident last week. She was a mother to 7-year-old and 9-year-old sons who Price is planning to adopt.

His sister's death marks the third sibling Price has lost since he was a 10-year-old...The two brothers were killed five years apart, both after being gunned down in Los Angeles.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...f-sister-death

Old
05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
A bit off topic, but awful story out of the Tampa Bay organization...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...f-sister-death
That is awful, but good for him stepping up and planning to adopt his nephews. I hope he makes the team and secures himself a healthy contract (if he doesn't already have one). Coach Schiano and the organization seem to have their heart in the right place (re: Eric LeGrand contract)

Old
05-31-2012, 02:48 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Man, what a difference a year makes.

I believe everyone is participating at the OTAs. No drama. Asante gone. DeSean and Shaddy's deals are done. Castillo having time to work with the defense and figure out where to line Asomugha up at. Fresh blood in DT Cox and LB Kendricks. So far, so good. I'm excited.

Closed Thread