HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Would You Watch Scabs Play?

View Poll Results: Would you watch Scabs play NHL?
Yes To Scabs! 66 80.49%
No to Scabs! 16 19.51%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
  #1
nikeisevil
Registered User
 
nikeisevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Would You Watch Scabs Play?

There has been some speculation about the league perhaps eventually calling an "impasse". If that occurs they could force a new economic system on the league at which point the players would likely strike.

This leads to an interesting question - would you watch scabs play in Oiler uniforms?

Here's Gary's current statement:

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: The question that you are asking is, when can an employer unilaterally implement new terms and conditions of employment. You can do that at impasse. I have seen a lot of speculation that that's something that we plan to do, and it's something, quite frankly, we haven't given any thought. We're hoping that at some point in the not-too-distant future, the League and the players can get together and that the Union will finally be prepared to negotiate the type of partnership deal that can take our game forward.

from: http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcript..._qa091504.html


Last edited by nikeisevil: 09-16-2004 at 04:59 PM.
nikeisevil is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 05:05 PM
  #2
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,573
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
This leads to an interesting question - would you watch scabs play in Oiler uniforms?
I'll cheer for the players in Oilers silks, union or not.

misfit is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 05:11 PM
  #3
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,450
vCash: 500
Another interesting point from the same debate....

Q. Much of this dispute has been portrayed by many, and I am not sure if it's accurate, as a battle of egos, as sort of a personal battle between yourself and Bob. I am wondering if you can tell me how do you feel about Bob Goodenow on a personal level?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: It's not a battle of egos from my standpoint. This is an unfair characterization because if you look at the record, we have been begging this Union since 1999 to address the problems that we were having and the problems would only get worse. Bob has a job to do. And I suppose he thinks he's doing it in the best way possible for his members. I would respectfully submit that when this is all said and done, what comes out in the wash is, I think they are making an error in judgment. As I told Bob in Tampa when we had a negotiating session, if we're out for a long period of time, instead of getting 53% of $2.1 billion, the players may be getting 53% of $1 billion. We can live with that because the teams will be healthy. But the players are really bearing the risk of this work stoppage.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 05:23 PM
  #4
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,450
vCash: 500
And...another reason I support the owners....

Q. Under your proposed systems the League would become profitable, you talk about wanting a partnership with the players. Would you consider including players in profit sharing?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: Absolutely. Actually, when you start with a premise that they get 53 cents of every dollar you take in, that would do it. But I am prepared to negotiate a level of profit, and if we're more profitable than that, we should share. Absolutely.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 05:33 PM
  #5
nikeisevil
Registered User
 
nikeisevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
I really see the NHL giving us a lot of information and trying hard to make us understand their point of view whereas the players seem to be saying a lot of rhetoric that doesn't really address anything.

Sure - they don't trust the owners - so then....?

Why not accept Levitt's invitation to have him explain everything in his report?

The owners have been throwing everything at them but they still keep saying the same thing. It's frustrating to hear.

nikeisevil is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 06:40 PM
  #6
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
And...another reason I support the owners....

Q. Under your proposed systems the League would become profitable, you talk about wanting a partnership with the players. Would you consider including players in profit sharing?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: Absolutely. Actually, when you start with a premise that they get 53 cents of every dollar you take in, that would do it. But I am prepared to negotiate a level of profit, and if we're more profitable than that, we should share. Absolutely.

An exellent statement. I really hope some of the players hear that too. If there is profit sharing for the players, the better they play, the more money the league sees, the more profit they get back. That coupled with the promise of 50-60 cents for every dollar coming in, this is a great way to share the risks/rewards for everyone involved...

Please start hounding your reps players. We still want hockey!!!!

s7ark is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 07:33 PM
  #7
Loki
PK Specialist
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Heck Yeah!

(sorry I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day)

Loki is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 09:03 PM
  #8
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Heck Yeah!

(sorry I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day)
Hey Napoleon, what are you gonna do today?

What ever I want! UGH!

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 09:19 PM
  #9
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Idiots!

Allan is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 09:29 PM
  #10
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Heck Yeah!

(sorry I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day)
"It took me a full six hours to do the shading on your upper lip..."
The best part of that movie is where they try and use the time machine and one of them notices that they forgot to put the crystals in... :lol

Cerebral is online now  
Old
09-16-2004, 09:34 PM
  #11
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,736
vCash: 160
As an Oiler fan I am backing the owners on this one, so I would watch scab hockey. I would think that the level of play wouldn't be much different from AHL hockey, which IMO is fine for the interim. Although, I have a feeling it might be 2 year interim period.

guymez is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 09:40 PM
  #12
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
"It took me a full six hours to do the shading on your upper lip..."
The best part of that movie is where they try and use the time machine and one of them notices that they forgot to put the crystals in... :lol
I dunno, the part those spanish guys pulled up in their car and the one guy shook his head no at the guy trying to steal the smaller guys bike was priceless too!

UGH!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 10:53 PM
  #13
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
"What is that in my driveway?"

"It's my ride..."

Allan is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 11:12 PM
  #14
smytty's mullet
Registered User
 
smytty's mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
As an Oiler fan I am backing the owners on this one, so I would watch scab hockey. I would think that the level of play wouldn't be much different from AHL hockey, which IMO is fine for the interim. Although, I have a feeling it might be 2 year interim period.

i agree that the level of hockey wouldn't be that much different from what we are used to. the nhl game has deteriorated to the point that it seems like most teams have a couple highly skilled players and a bunch of stiffs who jam up the neutral zone. with the growing emphasis on system play and the de-emphasizing of creativity i don't think you would see a big difference. perhaps the game wouldn't be as fast and there would probably be more mistakes but who cares. mistakes = excitement because a defensive mistake generally results in a scoring chance or a goal.

smytty's mullet is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 11:28 PM
  #15
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,736
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet
i agree that the level of hockey wouldn't be that much different from what we are used to. the nhl game has deteriorated to the point that it seems like most teams have a couple highly skilled players and a bunch of stiffs who jam up the neutral zone. with the growing emphasis on system play and the de-emphasizing of creativity i don't think you would see a big difference. perhaps the game wouldn't be as fast and there would probably be more mistakes but who cares. mistakes = excitement because a defensive mistake generally results in a scoring chance or a goal.
Agreed.
You know I made essentially the same statement, about the game deteriorating, on the NHL board and got taken to task for it. My stand was that the league had too many teams which meant too many roster spots taken up by pluggers. Essentially it was explained to me, that the game has improved in recent years and the way to improve it more would be to have more teams. Seems to me all that would do is dilute the league even more, and consequently degrade the play even further. Amazing how something like this can bring out completely opposite views.

guymez is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 11:38 PM
  #16
smytty's mullet
Registered User
 
smytty's mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
Agreed.
You know I made essentially the same statement, about the game deteriorating, on the NHL board and got taken to task for it. My stand was that the league had too many teams which meant too many roster spots taken up by pluggers. Essentially it was explained to me, that the game has improved in recent years and the way to improve it more would be to have more teams. Seems to me all that would do is dilute the league even more, and consequently degrade the play even further. Amazing how something like this can bring out completely opposite views.
here's betting that the guy who took you to task had the user name g. bettman. yeah gary, the games better than ever!!! who wants to see a team score 400+ goals per year like the oil used to do when you can be treated to 82 games that all end 2-1.

smytty's mullet is offline  
Old
09-17-2004, 02:20 PM
  #17
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 4850
No i wouldn't watch scab hockey.

leaflover is offline  
Old
09-17-2004, 02:53 PM
  #18
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,691
vCash: 500
Anyone watched the movie "The Replacements"?
With scabs, you can count on some hilarious hockey! Now let's see here, recruit a sumo goalie from Japan, a couple of ex-strong safeties to play our checking line, an enforcer from Compton, CA...an Oakland A's fan as our disturber/heckler...sure the scores will end up 0-0 but it'll be entertaining as hell!

But in all seriousness, I'd rather watch a group of guys who truly loves hockey than a bunch of players who have forgotten what got them into the league in the first place. As long as the replacements or whoever they choose to play wears an Oilers jersey, I'll embrace them no matter how bad they suck.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
09-17-2004, 03:00 PM
  #19
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
And...another reason I support the owners....

Q. Under your proposed systems the League would become profitable, you talk about wanting a partnership with the players. Would you consider including players in profit sharing?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: Absolutely. Actually, when you start with a premise that they get 53 cents of every dollar you take in, that would do it. But I am prepared to negotiate a level of profit, and if we're more profitable than that, we should share. Absolutely.
I remember discussing partners in another thread and was informed that these people are employees. I wonder how those forum members who support the owners rationalize the need for employees when the owners want partners.

A team of scabs would not be Oilers even if they were wearing the uniform. The Oilers will be refunding my tickets if that is how they proceed.

 
Old
09-17-2004, 03:02 PM
  #20
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
I remember discussing partners in another thread and was informed that these people are employees. I wonder how those forum members who support the owners rationalize the need for employees when the owners want partners.
If the owners are dictating the conditions, such as in the case of scabs, there would no longer be a need for a partnership.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
09-17-2004, 03:15 PM
  #21
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
If the owners are dictating the conditions, such as in the case of scabs, there would no longer be a need for a partnership.
Given that Bettman has the following marching orders
Quote:
There's a resolution passed by the Board of Governors directing me to get a collective bargaining agreement that creates a partnership
You can read what he said in this article but I'm thinking that management recognizes the need for partners even if you don't.

Congrats on 1000 posts.

 
Old
09-17-2004, 03:24 PM
  #22
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Given that Bettman has the following marching orders

You can read what he said in this article but I'm thinking that management recognizes the need for partners even if you don't.
I understand the leagues "sell job" of wanting a partnership when approaching it from a negotiating standpoint between the NHL and the NHLPA, but all of that need goes out the window when the league can unilaterally set the rules - and that would be the case with scab players.

Right now they want a partnership because in such an arrangement they could tie salaries to revenues. If a company (the NHL) makes money - all partners benefit, if a company loses money - all partners lose money. Right now, if the league makes money the players make money, if the league loses money the players still make money. That is one of the problems with this CBA as it is written.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Congrats on 1000 posts.
Ohh yeah, look at that. There might even have been 5 or 6 that were worth reading?

copperandblue is offline  
Old
09-17-2004, 03:29 PM
  #23
theo14
Registered User
 
theo14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
There has been some speculation about the league perhaps eventually calling an "impasse". If that occurs they could force a new economic system on the league at which point the players would likely strike.

This leads to an interesting question - would you watch scabs play in Oiler uniforms?

Here's Gary's current statement:

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: The question that you are asking is, when can an employer unilaterally implement new terms and conditions of employment. You can do that at impasse. I have seen a lot of speculation that that's something that we plan to do, and it's something, quite frankly, we haven't given any thought. We're hoping that at some point in the not-too-distant future, the League and the players can get together and that the Union will finally be prepared to negotiate the type of partnership deal that can take our game forward.

from: http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcript..._qa091504.html
I would root for "scabs", or as i would like to call them REAL hockey players that are not rich and spoiled. When i lived back east i would go to ahl games and loved it. The older guys and kids played there hearts out. I think bringing in guys like that would help the sport , they wouldn't be stuck up ****** that don't sign autographs for the kids, there real people. The guys in the NHL now are nothing like the real hockey players form the 50's 60's 70's or even the early 80's. attitude is every thing.

theo14 is offline  
Old
09-17-2004, 03:40 PM
  #24
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo14
I would root for "scabs", or as i would like to call them REAL hockey players that are not rich and spoiled. When i lived back east i would go to ahl games and loved it. The older guys and kids played there hearts out. I think bringing in guys like that would help the sport , they wouldn't be stuck up ****** that don't sign autographs for the kids, there real people. The guys in the NHL now are nothing like the real hockey players form the 50's 60's 70's or even the early 80's. attitude is every thing.
And in the 50's, 60's there were how many teams? You're not advocating contraction are you?

 
Old
09-17-2004, 03:53 PM
  #25
theo14
Registered User
 
theo14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
And in the 50's, 60's there were how many teams? You're not advocating contraction are you?
no, how do you get contraction out of what I said?

theo14 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.