HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Fire Gary Bettman. Make Gretzky the Commish

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Fire Gary Bettman. Make Gretzky the Commish

Seriously... Gary Bettman believes that the only way for resolution is locking the players out... This IMO is a wrong approach.

Gretzky IMO is the perfect candidate for the Commissioner job, as he's been involved in all aspects of the game, he also has tremendous passion for the game and understands what this game means to so many people (something Bettman seriously does not understand)

So IMO get rid of the little weasel, and put in a real soldier of the game. Nobody can say he's not passionate about the game, and who understands the NHL better than it's greatest player/ambassador?

Gretzky For Commish!!!!

Old
09-16-2004, 05:59 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Seriously... Gary Bettman believes that the only way for resolution is locking the players out... This IMO is a wrong approach.

Gretzky IMO is the perfect candidate for the Commissioner job, as he's been involved in all aspects of the game, he also has tremendous passion for the game and understands what this game means to so many people (something Bettman seriously does not understand)

So IMO get rid of the little weasel, and put in a real soldier of the game. Nobody can say he's not passionate about the game, and who understands the NHL better than it's greatest player/ambassador?

Gretzky For Commish!!!!
I love Gretzky but i'm thinking that this guy would be too soft with the players...Gretzky is such a nice guy.

Old
09-16-2004, 06:06 PM
rocketlives

The NHL needs a commissioner like Brian Burke. The guy is a bit of an S.O.B. but he is very knowledgeable in all aspects of the game and I think he's the man for the present situation. Gary Bettman has been there long enough. Someone should hook him off the stage like in a bad Vaudevillle show.

Old
09-16-2004, 06:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Gretzky For Commish!!!!
Bettman is following the instructions of his employers . Putting the blame personally on these guys is too easy.

Old
09-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
The NHL needs a commissioner like Brian Burke. The guy is a bit of an S.O.B. but he is very knowledgeable in all aspects of the game and I think he's the man for the present situation. The dwarf has been there long enough. Someone should hook him off the stage like in a bad Vaudevillle show.
He'd also be a great Commish, he has a lot of passion needed to run a league.

I'd like the commissioner to follow Trump's golden rule, in that they do it because they love what they are doing, regardless of money... The love for the game should be the most important thing on the resume...

The answer will never come out of some NBA administrative hack who didn't even know what the NHL was before he commissioned the league.

Burke is certainly another great candidate for the role...

Old
09-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Bettman is following the instructions of his employers . Putting the blame personally on these guys is too easy.
He certainly has not done his job, if he cannot get the issues resolved in the amount of time that he has had.

That would be like the equivalent of me going to my College, and getting an assignment due at the end of the semester, and then not handing it in until 5 years goes by. Did I fail? of couse I did... I was 5 years late!

Old
09-16-2004, 06:18 PM
JOHNNY V

MAKE DON CHERRY THE COMMISH

Old
09-16-2004, 06:31 PM
velimiiro

Donald Trump for commish!

Old
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by velimiiro
Donald Trump for commish!

Trump: What's that Yashin... unwilling to do what??? guess what. Youre FIRED!

Old
09-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
The NHL needs a commissioner like Brian Burke. The guy is a bit of an S.O.B. but he is very knowledgeable in all aspects of the game and I think he's the man for the present situation. Gary Bettman has been there long enough. Someone should hook him off the stage like in a bad Vaudevillle show.
Brian Burke is a bad apple. He always says stuff that embarasses people (much like Vanbiesbruck saying the 'n' word). He'd be a disgrace to the league. It would be like having Bush running the league. It's unimposible! He's very knowledgeable and all but, he's such an aweful aweful man .

Old
09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Gretzky For Commish!!!!
Wayne wouldn't accept the job in a million years. He is happy where he is, and he wouldn't uproot his family. It was like pulling teeth to get him from So. Cal. to AZ.

Old
09-16-2004, 08:46 PM
x-bob

Quote:

Trump: What's that Yashin... unwilling to do what??? guess what. Youre FIRED!
:lol :lol

Old
09-16-2004, 08:57 PM
tritone

From everything I 've heard Gretzky say about Bettman in the past years I am convinced that he is actually on the same side of the fence as Bettman . I don't think they're necessarily wrong either.

Does anybody have ANY quotes at all that would support why Gretzky would be a better commish? As far as I can tell he would be doing the exact same thing as Bettman , the only difference would be that because he's Gretzky, players wouldn't have a choice but listen and accept because they'd know that the fans would take Gretzky's side on any matter.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Brian Burke is a bad apple. He always says stuff that embarasses people (much like Vanbiesbruck saying the 'n' word). He'd be a disgrace to the league. It would be like having Bush running the league. It's unimposible! He's very knowledgeable and all but, he's such an aweful aweful man .
Why do you say that ? I kind of like Burke. He seems pretty direct. He's got a temper but what the heck.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:15 PM
RE-HABS

1. Gretzky could not be a commish since he is a part owner in an NHL franchise.

2. The owners aren't listening to what Bettman has to say, they are telling him what to do...your blaming one person when you should be blaming 30 others.

3. I do believe a commish with a hockey background should be in place, Colin Campbell could be that man if the owners let Bettman go after all of this or he steps down. Ken Dryden would have been a good one too, but he is in federal politics now.

4. As much as I hate to see a lockout I think it is best for the game and for us the average fan who wants to attend a game but doesn't want to spend a ton of cash to cheer on your team with your family or friends. A cap friendly or proper spending by the owners will allow us the average joe (true fans) attend the games instead of the corporate suits who don't really care.

5. Support Junior hockey.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:23 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Brian Burke is a bad apple. He always says stuff that embarasses people (much like Vanbiesbruck saying the 'n' word).
What? When did this happen? Or anything like this?

Like mcphee said, Burke is gruff, but he is no weasel. He tells you how he feels straight up, but the difference between him and bettman is that Burke actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to hockey.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
What? When did this happen? Or anything like this?

Like mcphee said, Burke is gruff, but he is no weasel. He tells you how he feels straight up, but the difference between him and bettman is that Burke actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to hockey.
amen.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
MAKE DON CHERRY THE COMMISH
:lol :lol

He couldn't do worse :lol

Old
09-16-2004, 11:26 PM
habilicious

hehe

all of us americans are whinging for jon mccain or howard dean to be president, so its sounds like burke is alot like eacho f them, so lets do it!!!

Old
09-17-2004, 04:10 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Burke has a fiery temper and he is very loyal ( almost extreme loyalist) and that's what makes him so quotable. His passion for the game and his harvard law education are very evident in his work.

Burke is not an awful man though. The Canucks are well known as being the most active team in the community and it all starts from the top. Brian burke is a huge credit to society and one of the most generous givers to those in need.

Burke doesn't give any nonsense.... he speaks with a purpose and does not introduce any meaningless rhetoric in the media. If he were the commish, at least we would have an idea of what is actually going on....instead, we see bettman too busy to tell us anything so he can play the blame game.

As for gretzky, I remember he was asked in the media during the world cup whether he would get heavily involved in this lockout dispute and he said he doesn't want anything to do with it and he was very quick and stern with his answer.... doesn't sound like he's even interested in becomming a commish even if he had the chance.

Old
09-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Gros Bill

I don't think Gretzky would be a good choice for commissionner. IMO, the commish should have some formal (university) education, because he will be dealing with (and negotiating against) people who do. Not that he isn't "bright", but how can I tell anyways ? Ken Dryden would be a better choice.

Last edited by Gros Bill: 09-17-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old
09-17-2004, 07:48 AM
mcphee

Dryden would be ok, but Johnny V is the obvious choice. Wouldn't get a deal but imagine the press conferences.

Old
09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Dryden would be ok, but Johnny V is the obvious choice. Wouldn't get a deal but imagine the press conferences.
Johnny V or a house plant, I agree.

Old
09-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:

Gretzky For Commish!!!!

It would be amazing to have Gretzky as commish but it won' happen it is gona be another pencil pusher

Old
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
3. I do believe a commish with a hockey background should be in place, Colin Campbell could be that man if the owners let Bettman go after all of this or he steps down. Ken Dryden would have been a good one too, but he is in federal politics now.
Agreed with most of your points, but this one about Bettman's hockey background is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Really, how much is there to know about hockey? Bettman has been around for a decade now, longer than many of the fans who post on this board. Hockey is not difficult to learn. I'm sure he has had ample opportunity to accumulate more "hockey knowledge" and more direct experience with how the game works than most of us have. Give me 10 years in rocket science, and I'll be pretty knowledgeable and "experienced" at the end of that 10 years. Hockey? Pshaw.

His main job requirements are in areas like economics and law, and that stuff takes a lot longer to learn than hockey. So I think it's a total red herring to criticise him for his lack of a "hockey background"... he doesn't really need one for his job; nevertheless, a decade as the #1 guy in the #1 league in the sport actually does give him a pretty solid background right now.

Closed Thread