HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Boudreau is fired, replaced by Dale Hunter (A New Hope)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 09:00 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
OT:

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
1 coach down. Could there be 2 today? Rumours suggest Paul Maurice will be replaced by Milwaukee's Kirk Muller. Interesting day.
Was just coming to add this to the conversation - while reports were he didn't interview well last off-season, definitely was interested in Muller as a head coaching option. Wasn't sure about the new job as it related to whether he'd be available mid-season, but if he is, puts a wrinkle into the Hunter hire, IMO, as to which coach would you have wanted...Muller or Hunter?

Old
11-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Jedgi

I don't see risk in this move. The worst that could happen is the Caps crash and burn and have two really high picks in the draft then hire another coach in the off season.

Strike that, the worst thing that could happen is Boudreau going to Colorado and leading them to the playoffs.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:02 AM
tycoonheart

Just reading around the web from people who've seen Hunter coach:

- Can get his players to respond very well
- Is very good at using his players correctly
- Is offensively oriented, and relies on his star players a lot

Old
11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Do we really think Hunter will move the letters? It's the only opportunity.
Whatever he wants to do to make it "his" team - as long as it works - I'm on board. You get one shot to set the tone. Do it right! You aren't there to be their friend. Get the job done!

Old
11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
next move should be to move Semin

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
11-28-2011, 09:04 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Late... Ie two years late. I still think a little early in-season. I have two hopes for BB. That he's learned a lot for his next job. And that he's successful. It was a great relationship for a few years.

I've said a few times I grew up isles fan and I used to despise hunter. I hope I can learn to love him.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Didn't GMGM hire Ron Wilson in 1997?
If so, he had prior experience.
if memory serves me that was an Abe hire.....followed shortly by the hire of GMGM. I could be wrong though but I seem to recall it that way

Old
11-28-2011, 09:07 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
if memory serves me that was an Abe hire.....followed shortly by the hire of GMGM. I could be wrong though but I seem to recall it that way
GMGM hired Ron, as I recall.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Maurice firing is now evidently confirmed by Rutherford.

Also: TSNBobMcKenzie | Bob McKenzie | CAR fires Paul Maurice, Kirk Muller is the new guy.

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
sk84fun_dc

Yup, just coming to post, Canes writer reporting it's official.

So if the Kirk Muller rumors are true, hmmm...

Old
11-28-2011, 09:08 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Just reading around the web from people who've seen Hunter coach:

- Can get his players to respond very well
- Is very good at using his players correctly
- Is offensively oriented, and relies on his star players a lot
Chimera for Richard!

Old
11-28-2011, 09:08 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Maurice just fired from Carolina. The dominoes fall.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Good stuff Marshall. I too am interested in how he handles Sarge. Guys like Ovi and Semin we know what they can do, they just need new motivation. Guys like Sarge, is there something more there, or not. Lets not wait for 10 years to force him to try, can Dale coax out a change in style. I think so, as our core guys are young, they can change. Bruce seemed to let the players decide how they play.

I hope some regulars start getting benched for playing like wusses. It was too fun to play against us. If you lost, hey at least you got to see Ovi in what looked like an all star game.

Old
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Told wife: "uh about bleeping time. Sorry for anyone who loses their job but his time just ran out like most coaches"

Im a lucky man!

Old
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Not that I expected otherwise, but I was hoping Woods and Evason would be ousted too.

Old
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
There are a lot of coaches who would have taken this team to the upper echelon and, in fact, taken us farther into the playoffs. Before BB hopped on board, this team was expected to win the SE division and be a near-future contender.
I think that is quite an overstatement and a lot of conjecture on your part....

as for expectations.....it was playoffs, not necessarily winning the division. Its fine to say you think BB had to go, its your opinion of course....but no need to make stuff up and downplay what he did for the team

Old
11-28-2011, 09:10 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Do we really think Hunter will move the letters? It's the only opportunity.
Based on the way OV dogged it against Buffalo I would think Dark Dale would have to make a letter change, give the C to Chimera please. What he does in that regard will say a lot to me. Keep OV with the C, Dark Dale's leash is short and he takes marching orders from GMGM. Give the C to someone else, like Chimera, and Dark Dale has been given free reign to put his stamp on this team. Performing the latter will give my optimisim this season can be salvaged. The former happens and Dark Dale is simply a place holder for someone with a bigger NHL resume in the offseason.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Late... Ie two years late. I still think a little early in-season. I have two hopes for BB. That he's learned a lot for his next job. And that he's successful. It was a great relationship for a few years.

I've said a few times I grew up isles fan and I used to despise hunter. I hope I can learn to love him.
That's fascinating. How did you change allegiances? When I was a kid I was a Steelers fan even though I had no ties to Pittsburgh. Then we moved to DC where I fell in love with the Skins (circa 1980). So you were happy during a time of extreme heartbreak for me, that 4 OT playoff loss to the Isles...F U,

Old
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

I dont think i ever liked coach more than BB, but he ran his course here. He will make a great comeback elsewhere, i have no doubt about it, but man i'm happy about the change... If what they say about teams take on personalities of the coaches, this should be great! Don't know much about Dales X's and O's but this team just got few notches tougher without adding any new players, and i think thats exactly what they needed. If Hunter cant straighten Semin out - nobody can.
So, heres to a new chapter, lets see how the team responds.
The season got interesting again.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:14 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Not that I expected otherwise, but I was hoping Woods and Evason would be ousted too.
They're still there for two reasons, I'd guess.

1) To give Hunter a bit of a landing pad in guys who have worked with the team.

2) To give the guys a little bit of continuity during the change.

It's like when a company acquires another and keeps the middle managers on for a little while.

Old
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Based on the way OV dogged it against Buffalo I would think Dark Dale would have to make a letter change, give the C to Chimera please. What he does in that regard will say a lot to me. Keep OV with the C, Dark Dale's leash is short and he takes marching orders from GMGM. Give the C to someone else, like Chimera, and Dark Dale has been given free reign to put his stamp on this team. Performing the latter will give my optimisim this season can be salvaged. The former happens and Dark Dale is simply a place holder for someone with a bigger NHL resume in the offseason.
I'm with you on giving the C to a Chimera or Laich. Not because I'm in the "OV is lazy" corner, but because these guys are exceptionally hard working, there is no language barrier, and it lets OV go back to being a player and not worrying about being a leader.

Old
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Tim Leone, who is obviously going to have a pro Boudreau bias, puts it out there.
if they do that my feelings are it could not have been done without a coaching change too....

of course my feelings are too much is being made of a letter on a sweater. Even if he didnt have the C his play was lacking and needs to produce more....the focus would be "he is the teams best player and needs to play like it"....now its just "he is the C and needs to play like it". I guess I dont totally buy into the "lets go get 'em boys" as being the answer

Old
11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Agree with most of this but...Chimera? The "C"? Really?

If, and it's a HUGE if, the C gets moved it's a safer bet that it goes to Laich. I'd bet on Knuble getting it before Chimera. Don't get me wrong, I like Chimmer and think he's good in the room, but I don't think he's a Captain. I think down the road Alzner could be.

Moot point. Won't happen.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Agree with most of this but...Chimera? The "C"? Really?

If, and it's a HUGE if, the C gets moved it's a safer bet that it goes to Laich. I'd bet on Knuble getting it before Chimera. Don't get me wrong, I like Chimmer and think he's good in the room, but I don't think he's a Captain. I think down the road Alzner could be.

Moot point. Won't happen.
This is what I was thinking. The C should be removed from Ovie and should go to Knuble for the remainder of the season.

Knoobs won't be back next season, so Ovie will have the opportunity to "earn" it again.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Ovechkin getting skewered on *** twitter.

Closed Thread