HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2013, 03:51 AM
  #1
Jagr6810
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
John Tortorella

hey guys its a ranger fan here i just wanna know how it was like when torts was your coach and if they played any similar to the way the rangers are playing now ( which isnt pretty)

Jagr6810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:02 AM
  #2
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr6810 View Post
hey guys its a ranger fan here i just wanna know how it was like when torts was your coach and if they played any similar to the way the rangers are playing now ( which isnt pretty)
Pre lock out it was 'Safe is Death'. Attack and risk giving up odd man rushes, and hope you could obstruct, grab or be bailed out by the goalie. Post lock out, with rule changes and Khabi gone it just did not work, but he refused to change his system to match the watered down talent we had. Eventually he lost the locker room.

Seemed to always playing mind games with the players, sometimes backfiring. Before an SC elimination game he told Khabibulin he was being sat for the game, expecting a 'Hell No I am playing", instead he got no reaction, and we lost. Afterwards Khabibulin said "I am Russian, coach says sit, I sit";

He had a very large dog house, and once in it was difficult to get out. Remember the Prospal quote after a good game: "He was pleased to shove it up someones (Torts) butt!"
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...ghtning-buyout

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:20 AM
  #3
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life
 
Vieille Barbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hockey Paradise
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
BoltSTH pretty much summed it up. A couple of observations I might add (and in the interest of full disclosure, I was very openly saying both Torts and Feaster needed to go about a year before they were cut loose-I was not and am not a big supporter of either of them):

Because Torts was so big on trusting and not trusting guys, he would play the legs off of the guys he trusted. One example, which you will no doubt find ironic now, was Brad Richards. Played on the PP, PK and basically all the time. Wore his ass out. Close to the same with Marty and Vinny. There were times those guys were just out of gas by the middle of the 3rd, getting double shifted when games were on the line.

I think I'm seeing the same in the current playoff series, and it's no accident (to me at least) that Boston is just swarming all over the Rangers late in the games, and those guys are wearing down under the assault. If your goalie isn't perfect every night, that will end in tears.

Re: mind games with the players, that isn't the same as motivating them - at all. It might work in some situations, and for a short time, but in the long run it can't possibly work out for the best. The guy is a real two-edged sword, and he can get results, but his schtick gets old and - because it's the only one he's got - it's hard to see him have a long tenure with any team.


Last edited by Vieille Barbe: 05-22-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: sp
Vieille Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:44 AM
  #4
NHLeitner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
Can you almost taste the restraint in this interview?

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...players/616883

NHLeitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:26 PM
  #5
The YzerJesus
#teamwhitewalker
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 7,012
vCash: 500
John threw "Safe is Death" out the window a while ago.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
  #6
NHLeitner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
This isn't a real lively thread, but it seems like the appropriate place to bring up this probably unfounded speculation:

During the darker days of Lecavalier's decline, people were remarking how he lost all power in his stride and his skating had left him, which was a major contributor to his overall drop in production. Now, people are saying the exact same thing about Brad Richards.

So, in searching for a common thread, do you think Torts might at least be a connecting thread in this coincidence? I mean, given the demands he places on players-especially young players-and that he tends to overuse guys he likes to the point of being detrimental to those very players, does it seem at all possible that these guys are just burnt out from their 6 years or so playing under Torts?

NHLeitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
  #7
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLeitner View Post
This isn't a real lively thread, but it seems like the appropriate place to bring up this probably unfounded speculation:

During the darker days of Lecavalier's decline, people were remarking how he lost all power in his stride and his skating had left him, which was a major contributor to his overall drop in production. Now, people are saying the exact same thing about Brad Richards.

So, in searching for a common thread, do you think Torts might at least be a connecting thread in this coincidence? I mean, given the demands he places on players-especially young players-and that he tends to overuse guys he likes to the point of being detrimental to those very players, does it seem at all possible that these guys are just burnt out from their 6 years or so playing under Torts?
Well, I do think Torts rides his top guys way too hard, but I honestly think that this year is an outlier for Richards and he will be back to top 6 form soon enough. I think Vinny's decline was due to the injuries though, not from fatigue.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
  #8
lost puck
Registered User
 
lost puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Well, I do think Torts rides his top guys way too hard, but I honestly think that this year is an outlier for Richards and he will be back to top 6 form soon enough. I think Vinny's decline was due to the injuries though, not from fatigue.
Richards to me is that sketchy player bouncing between good and bad seasons. The last two seasons he was in Tampa I couldn't stand seeing him on the ice. Maybe I just expected too much, but he really just seemed to not care. When he got to Dallas I saw a few games and he looked like the Richie from the Cup run so I figured the change of scenery did him well. But same thing, the following year his production was down, and the few times I saw him it just looked like he was gong thru the motions. Just my opinion.

As for Torts, I never really liked the guy, hated the stick check defense. Definitely hard on his players and knows how to hold a grudge.

lost puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:38 PM
  #9
HoseEmUp
Registered User
 
HoseEmUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost puck View Post
Richards to me is that sketchy player bouncing between good and bad seasons. The last two seasons he was in Tampa I couldn't stand seeing him on the ice. Maybe I just expected too much, but he really just seemed to not care. When he got to Dallas I saw a few games and he looked like the Richie from the Cup run so I figured the change of scenery did him well. But same thing, the following year his production was down, and the few times I saw him it just looked like he was gong thru the motions. Just my opinion.
He tends to become complacent. Agree with everything here.

Quote:
As for Torts, I never really liked the guy, hated the stick check defense. Definitely hard on his players and knows how to hold a grudge.
That was his biggest downfall, and I'll always hate him for it.

HoseEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  #10
NHLeitner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
That was his biggest downfall, and I'll always hate him for it.
You're the best.

NHLeitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.