HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Around the NHL and the world of hockey

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

vCash: 500
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4533604/
Quote:
Another year, another ESPN team rankings list that riles up Brian Burke.

The Toronto Maple Leafs general manager defended his franchise on Monday at the team’s annual charity golf tournament, as he responded with outrage to a question about ESPN placing his team 122nd out of 122 professional sports franchises in its Ultimate Team Rankings last week.

A non-playoff team since 2004, the Leafs haven’t placed higher than 120th in the rankings since 2007.

“I don’t think ESPN knows a single thing about hockey,” Burke said. “I think their hockey coverage stinks. I don’t think they know anything about Canada. I don’t think they know anything about hockey.”
LOL

Old
09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 0
So, according to him, which team is worse than the Leafs? Even the Islanders, Oilers, Jets/Thrashers, Stars, Wild, Flames, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets have made the playoffs more recently than them (source) - despite the fact that the Leafs are the wealthiest team in the league:

Quote:
Yet a handful of teams, most of which play in big markets, are making piles of money. The league’s most valuable team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, is now worth $521 million and generated $81.8 million in operating income last season. The New York Rangers, who are enjoying the benefits of playing in a refurbished Madison Square Garden, earned $41.4 million last year and are the NHL’s second-most valuable team, worth $507 million. And the Montreal Canadiens, placing third with a $445 million valuation, earned $47.7 million. Thus the top three teams posted an aggregate operating profit greater than the rest of the league combined.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...ess-of-hockey/

Old
09-11-2012, 12:12 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Hiller has done it again - just awesome:

Old
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
So, according to him, which team is worse than the Leafs? Even the Islanders, Oilers, Jets/Thrashers, Stars, Wild, Flames, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets have made the playoffs more recently than them (source) - despite the fact that the Leafs are the wealthiest team in the league:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...ess-of-hockey/
They have loyals fans as does any Canadian team but your right, they have nothing to be proud about the last few years in terms of play on the ice.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:14 PM
CC321

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
BOS puts Trent Whitfield, Jamie Tardif, Garnett Exelby and Christian Hanson on waivers.

FLA puts Casey Wellman, Andre Deveaux, Dov Grumet-Morris, Michael Caruso, Nolan Yonkman, Greg Rallo, James Wright, J.F. Jacques on waivers.

Do we want any of these guys? A deep team like Boston might have some value there, I'm not very familiar with those players though.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:16 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
BOS puts Trent Whitfield, Jamie Tardif, Garnett Exelby and Christian Hanson on waivers.

FLA puts Casey Wellman, Andre Deveaux, Dov Grumet-Morris, Michael Caruso, Nolan Yonkman, Greg Rallo, James Wright, J.F. Jacques on waivers.

Do we want any of these guys? A deep team like Boston might have some value there, I'm not very familiar with those players though.
You dont want them, I promise you

We just got Exelby and Hanson recently but they are nothing but AHL'ers

Old
09-12-2012, 12:49 PM
CC321

I ran those names through Hockeydb. The results looked sad. Wellman is the only one with a bit of O, also some big guys who can't score and some 30+ year old AHL lifers. Not an in depth analysis for sure, but doesn't look tempting.

Last edited by CC321: 09-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

Christian Hanson was pretty hyped because Toronto originally signed him. His dad is also Dave Hanson, of Slap Shot fame.

As for talent, who the **** knows? All anybody would say was about putting on the foil.

He was an AHL All-Star in 2010 with Hershey though.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 09-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
09-12-2012, 03:23 PM
CC321

TSN radio Toronto,

http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/

Old
09-12-2012, 05:22 PM
CC321

Peckham, Mishkin, Brewer on radio tonight at 7pm,

http://www.whnz.com/main.html

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

Old
09-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
The correct answer is: I'm just glad they get a yearly refresher that Canada exists.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Dan Lacroix and Martin Raymond on the air tonight for Lightning Hockey Night.

7:00 on AM 1250 WHNZ

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

listen here

Old
09-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Darren Dreger leaked some names on the 'divers' list supported by some players.

Kesler
Carcillo
Malkin

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405669

Old
09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger
Quote:
Won't make Insider Trading tonight, but, Leafs source confirms Dwayne Roloson was approached about a goalie coach job within organization.
Quote:
Rolly likely would have handled AHL, while Rick St Croix deals with NHL. Roloson declined. Still wants to play.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
CC321

Well, I was thinking (look out) if I was a NHL player who had some unexpected free time on my hands, what would I do with said time.

Almost all players would try to stay in good cardio shape of course, that almost goes without saying. Specifically though, these are some of the things I would work on:

Fast eyes- Human eyes are capable of darting about very quickly, with a little practice. In hockey it's usually called the magical talent of vision. To practice eye speed I invented a little game.

Need 2 friends each carrying a bucket of whiffle balls and a table with a lot of spoons spread out on it. Put an empty bucket on the table.

Now the object of the game is for you to pick up the spoons one at a time and put them in the table bucket while your friends are throwing whiffle balls at you. You have to look at the spoons to pick them up and also dart your eyes about to watch your so called friends (who are moving around) so you can dodge the incoming whiffleballs. Your friends will have a great time whacking you with the balls and you practice your vision skill.

Body language- opponents unconsciously read your body language to try and anticipate what's about to happen. If you intentionally control your body language you can control their reactions. 3rd-4th liners especially and most defensemen tend to look straight at their team mate before passing to them or straight at the goalie before shooting, so...

Using roller hockey pucks, if you don't have a rink, first practice keeping your head facing straight ahead, but move your eyes to a target to the left. Practice hitting the target without moving your head, just your eyes. Repeat with a target to the right. A more advanced version is to glance at the goalie with just your eyes to locate him then move your head and eyes directly towards a team mate, twitch your shoulders about 2-3cm to start the opponents reaction, before shooting on the surprised goalie. Or reverse it, glance at the team mate with just your eyes, move head and eyes to the goalie, twitch, before passing to the team mate.

Drivel from a bored fan, for whatever it's worth.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:19 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Love his passion - but maybe it's time to hang 'em up, Rolo!

Quote:
Well, I was thinking (look out) if I was a NHL player who had some unexpected free time on my hands, what would I do with said time.

Almost all players would try to stay in good cardio shape of course, that almost goes without saying. Specifically though, these are some of the things I would work on:

Fast eyes- Human eyes are capable of darting about very quickly, with a little practice. In hockey it's usually called the magical talent of vision. To practice eye speed I invented a little game.

Need 2 friends each carrying a bucket of whiffle balls and a table with a lot of spoons spread out on it. Put an empty bucket on the table.

Now the object of the game is for you to pick up the spoons one at a time and put them in the table bucket while your friends are throwing whiffle balls at you. You have to look at the spoons to pick them up and also dart your eyes about to watch your so called friends (who are moving around) so you can dodge the incoming whiffleballs. Your friends will have a great time whacking you with the balls and you practice your vision skill.

Body language- opponents unconsciously read your body language to try and anticipate what's about to happen. If you intentionally control your body language you can control their reactions. 3rd-4th liners especially and most defensemen tend to look straight at their team mate before passing to them or straight at the goalie before shooting, so...

Using roller hockey pucks, if you don't have a rink, first practice keeping your head facing straight ahead, but move your eyes to a target to the left. Practice hitting the target without moving your head, just your eyes. Repeat with a target to the right. A more advanced version is to glance at the goalie with just your eyes to locate him then move your head and eyes directly towards a team mate, twitch your shoulders about 2-3cm to start the opponents reaction, before shooting on the surprised goalie. Or reverse it, glance at the team mate with just your eyes, move head and eyes to the goalie, twitch, before passing to the team mate.

Drivel from a bored fan, for whatever it's worth.
Talking about Roloson, he was known for training his eyes:
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...g-nhls/1145338
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/119098544.html
http://www.brighteyesnews.com/2011/0...rains-his-eyes

Old
10-01-2012, 03:23 PM
CC321

ESPN power rankings, Tampa #16,
http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Old
10-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

What's remarkable is that Nazem Kadri spent a few weeks with Gary Roberts, and somehow reported to Marlies camp overweight.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:49 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

https://twitter.com/tblightning
Quote:
Coach Raymond & Lightning alum Jassen Cullimore working w/ the Tampa Bay Skating Academy http://instagr.am/p/QYLV9tIeIk/
Nice to see Cully back in Tampa

Old
10-06-2012, 02:15 PM
CC321

Be bored no more, now you can own your very own hockey team for the low low price of $19.99,

Old
10-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Christian Ehrhoff was gueset on a local german radio station on yesterday - and later guest in a tv show (from the same radio station), did not see it but for those who understand german, perhaps it's interesting for you :

http://www.einslive.de/sendungen/pla...an_ehrhoff.jsp

The title of the description was funny .. "The bison, who defends penguins" :-D

Old
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Roloson joins the UMass Lowell coaching staff.

Still say we should offer him the job.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:09 AM
CC321

Tired of watching hockey re-runs,

Old
10-19-2012, 04:18 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
Roloson joins the UMass Lowell coaching staff.

Still say we should offer him the job.
Interesting. Why would he take that job over the one with the Leafs?

Old
10-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Interesting. Why would he take that job over the one with the Leafs?
Way, way, less pressure.

Also joining a professional team's coaching staff is pretty much equal to being retired. This lockout we've seen players help coach college teams and no one questions their desire to continue playing.

Of course, if Roli wants to play so bad, a team in Orlando could possibly use his services.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-19-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Closed Thread