HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps Fire Boudreau! (Signs with Anaheim)

Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Wonder if the Verizon Center snackbar will hire him?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
People are happy about this? Remember what happened when the Pens fired their coach after toiling well below their playing capabilities?

This is not good. Not that BB was the fault of everything that happened, but he obviously had lost the players.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:13 AM
vikingGoalie

We'll see, something had to be done. OV basically refused to pay for BB.
Trying to think, when is the last time an OHL coach moved the whole up to NHL and was successful? The most successful one I can think of was the guy they just fired.

If the Caps really want to make over the team they need a new Captain who will hold the others on the team accountable.

We are really blessed that our Captain is not only the best player on the planet but also the best example/hardest working one. Ovechkin has never been a hard worker, from a few years ago I remember being down at the Caps practice facility that Ovechkin was late for 3 of their practices, only actually came out on the ice for one of them. I talked to the rabid fans (they get a pretty big draw of fans for practice) on this, he told me the Ovechkin wasn't nursing any injuries that being late not doing a full practice wasn't uncommon.

Perhaps a coach that will hold OV's feet to the fire is all that is needed, but I believe a new Captain is what is needed there too.

vikingGoalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnyIris

Much would have preferred underachieving Caps.

Maurice out as Canes coach too:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=603525

Next?

LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:25 AM
LawnyIris

Should also make for an interesting 24/7 episode.

LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

My most vivid memory of Hunter:

And to think that "fans" today actually complain about guys like Cooke

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Interesting. Probably not good news, but then again... Dale Hunter has more experience losing to the Pens than any of the players he is about to start coaching, so there's that... .

NB: interesting to see if Ovechkin responds to this after a long period of being way below... well, I suppose one should say above, his par.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Not good news.

Hunter's gonna have them playing a much tougher game now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
That's what I'm saying. I have a feeling he's gonna have them playing a VERY chippy game, and that his brand of hockey might be what Ovie needs in order to get his game rolling again.
Eh. You need to have guys willing to play that way, and I don't think Washington does. Hell, BB was trying to get them to play a tougher two-way game, and their entire game went to hell after he tried doing so.

What would be scary is if McPhee backs Hunter's philosophies and starts making trades for players who do play the way Hunter wants it done. Then I'd be scared.

I think people comparing our coaching change to theres are off. Our situation was a team that just needed to reigns pulled off of it, so it could play to its capability. Our entire game plan didn't need altered.

What Hunter is trying to make that team do is what BB was trying to make that team do, and I just don't think they have the locker room to get it done at the moment.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Burgs

So they replaced a ********* with a dirtbag? Good, now I won't have to readjust my level of Caps hate.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Koempel

Can't say I'm happy about this, but he had it coming with that blubbery doughface of his. I can't imagine Hunter being worse and the idea of not having to play for Boudreau anymore will light a fire under Ovie's ass. Also media wise Hunter can't possibly be a worse representation for Washington than an obese fellow with a confidence problem who screams **** all the time when something goes wrong.

Koempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Interesting. Probably not good news, but then again... Dale Hunter has more experience losing to the Pens than any of the players he is about to start coaching, so there's that... .

NB: interesting to see if Ovechkin responds to this after a long period of being way below... well, I suppose one should say above, his par.
My first thought as well. Ovechkin's going to have the leash taken off. Hunter's done his fair share of dirty ****, so I'm sure he won't mind seeing Ovechkin go for knees or cheap shot again.

We'll see...

From all reports, Hunter was a Hell of a coach in juniors. Let's hope that doesn't translate to the NHL.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Not good news.

Hunter's gonna have them playing a much tougher game now.

I was going to start a thread called "Plus - Minus: Dewsh Boudreau Edition" but I see that many a Pens fan are already on the case. Here are my thoughts on this momentous day:

+
+ We don't have to listen to an insecure slob constantly whine about the unfair shake his players get as compared to (and especially when playing against) the Penguins. I'm fine with calling out refs when they genuinely do a bad job but he invented more crap to cry about then any other coach I can think of in recent memory. He was the definition of a loser with a loser's mentality, IMO.

+ We don't have to look at him on the TV. Can you please learn how to clear your nose without looking like a constipated cave troll from Lord of the Rings, dewsh? Also, wipe your mouth often and lay off the ****ing Hagen Daaz.

+ I hate it when bad coaches distract from a good rivalry by using the media as their crutch. So the NHL is better off for this. Rivalries with us and the Rags and others will lose an element of distraction.

+ His replacement is coming from Juniors (and AFAIK a bit of a meathead but I could be wrong on that - sometimes guys who are hated as players gain back some respect after their skating career is done).

-
- It may sound sick and twisted but I hoped that guy would never leave Washington, because he was the single biggest obstacle standing in that team's way. They weren't going to win dick with a leader like that. No guarantee for us to beat them in a series, but it was a guarantee they weren't going to lift the Cup IMHO.

- We won't have such an unbelievably easy target for wise-cracks. Hunter is not very amusing. Board comedy will suffer for this!

- It may take a year for him to figure out his system and his players to learn whatever it is, but Dale Hunter will likely be a better coach than Boudreau, which is bad news for us. Instead of giving his players reasons to focus on things they shouldn't be focused on, Hunter will have them in the right mindset most likely. Hunter could [prove himself to be] a flop as a tactician, but I think we can say safely, he's not going to say things that cause his players to look anywhere but in the mirror every single game.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 11-28-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnyIris View Post
Much would have preferred underachieving Caps.

Maurice out as Canes coach too:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=603525

Next?
Next would be Carlyle

stefanh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Sotty

Funny how so many people think that everything will automatically get better with a new coach. BB had many flaws, but at least he realized that the Caps needed to change their style if they ever wanted to be successfull in the playoffs. Many of the caps players still haven't realized that and some are just unwilling to adapt.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
Next would be Carlyle
Yah the Ducks are... putrid. I can't believe how bad they are this year. I didn't expect them to be a top team but I did expect them to be consistently in the playoff hunt. Right now they're in the lottery hunt. But Carlyle is actually a decent coach. He's never had a ton to work with. Usually one great line, one or two really good blueliners, and a spare superstar named Selanne. Other than that most Ducks lineups have been "parts is parts" over the years. Would not like to see this guy end up in Washington *at all*. Would be a bad thing because he'd have more depth to work with top to bottom.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
gordie

Alex Ovechkin and Dale Hunter will never get along. Next big move for Washington is when they have to trade Ovechkin.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Alex Ovechkin and Dale Hunter will never get along. Next big move for Washington is when they have to trade Ovechkin.
I don't think it's lost on Dale Hunter who "The Franchise" is in Washington, and I don't think their GM will ever favor the coach over the player unless the player does something egregiously bad. As in something that would cause a media frenzy (not talking about mere bad play on the ice). Dale Hunter is a former juniors coach and player. Alex Ovechkin is their very best player and one of world's top 3 players... not a secret who will win that battle (if there is one).

Old
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
WhatsaMaatta

I'm not going to pretend that Boudreau's a bad coach, but this is a move that should have come 22 games ago.

WhatsaMaatta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
JWells16

People are happy about this?

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
invictus

Hopefully this move was early enough that any "bounce back" will wear itself out before the playoffs hit.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Gustavo Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
Funny how so many people think that everything will automatically get better with a new coach. BB had many flaws, but at least he realized that the Caps needed to change their style if they ever wanted to be successfull in the playoffs. Many of the caps players still haven't realized that and some are just unwilling to adapt.
I agree that the players have to be accountable, but anyone who thinks that BB was not the MAIN problem wasn't watching the games the last two seasons.

BB never had an answer for anything the other team did, and THAT is what his failing was.

Why is Ovie carrying the puck into the zone were he can immediately be covered by one or two people? He needs to be 2nd or 3rd in the zone to open space up. Why was his ice time cut 3-4 minutes a game last year? So the fourth line can get ice time? Ovie thrived on getting those extra minutes and being able to get better D matchups 6 or 7 shifts a game.

BB made these changes to make them, then when Ovie and Backstrom did not play well last year he wouldn't/couldn't adjust.

These are just Ovie issues, what about his insistence on giving Jeff Schultz big minutes in big situations in big games, when he clearly is not an NHL calibre defenseman?

I am sitting on my couch and can see the problems how could the head coach not?

I hope BB ends up on his feet, but honestly good riddance.

I have no idea if DH is better option, but as a Caps fan I can tell you guys something had to be done.

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Florentino Ariza

Bad news. However, holding out hope that after the inevitable win streak that will follow, he will turn out to be a failure as an NHL coach.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Awesome.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
NastyNick

DB had success with this team because he had players willing to set an example. Sidney Crosby being the main guy. Many current and former teammates have gone on and on about how insane Crosby pushes himself during drills and practices. That sort of example gives everyone else on the team a bar to measure up too. Its gives the coach an actual canvas to work with.

I just don't see Washington having the same kind of guy in their locker room. Ovechkin isn't going to inspire anyone after he just sat on his butt for 4 weeks to get the last coach fired. To me, this move is too little, too late. It needed to happen after the Montreal series, or the losing streak last year. Now the Caps are in a hole where the only way out are significant roster moves - just like the Flyers. They need to move Semin immediately. And if Ovechkin doesn't finish the season strong, he needs to be the next to go. At the very least he should lose the 'C'.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Til the End of Time

This is bad news for the Pens but we should really be happy the Caps weren't able to hire Carlyle to be BB's replacement. That would have been very bad.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote