HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Caps Fire Boudreau! (Signs with Anaheim)

Old
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I like Boudreau, too. But I lost some respect when he tried to make that team into a defensive squad. That was just dumb and it was never going to work.

I think Hunter is smarter than that. He's going to play a system that caters to his best players, I suspect.
I think Boudreau thought that there needed to be changes to his system in order to win a cup, when, in reality, one big Boudreau problem is going to be Hunter's problem after the euphoria of a new coach wears off: McPhee is **** at putting together a cup caliber roster. He can accrue talent, but there's a difference between having the best talent and having the best team to win a cup.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I'd love to see the meeting between Hunter and Semin..

Looks like he caught kids with their hands in the cookie jar.

And truthfully, I think Dale's bigger issue will be getting Ovechkin to buy into whatever he sells if it is defensive, or at least to wake him up from whatever funk it is. Maybe all it will take is a coaching change and something fresh, we'll see.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post

And truthfully, I think Dale's bigger issue will be getting Ovechkin to buy into whatever he sells if it is defensive, or at least to wake him up from whatever funk it is. Maybe all it will take is a coaching change and something fresh, we'll see.
That smile on Semin's face, that dirty look on Hunter's . . . it just makes me think Dale is going to lead them into a room while signing 'Thank Heaven for Little Russian Boys'.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Jag68Sid87

That team is going to get its swagger back in a hurry. Ovechkin's questionable hits will be back. I wouldn't be surprised if they went after a tough guy...or dressed Erskine in that role regularly.

I think that's what they needed more than anything else...to be that uber-aggressive, despicable style once more.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
That team is going to get its swagger back in a hurry. Ovechkin's questionable hits will be back. I wouldn't be surprised if they went after a tough guy...or dressed Erskine in that role regularly.

I think that's what they needed more than anything else...to be that uber-aggressive, despicable style once more.
Yeah, but you know perfectly well that team doesn't have the right personnel mix for the playoffs. Maybe this year will be different and McPhee will make the big deal and shake up the mix, but I doubt it.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yeah, but you know perfectly well that team doesn't have the right personnel mix for the playoffs. Maybe this year will be different and McPhee will make the big deal and shake up the mix, but I doubt it.
I don't know. I thought they did before the season began, to be honest. I loved the acquisitions of Ward and Brouwer. Vokoun should have been a better pickup than what he's shown so far. Wasn't liking the Hamrlik pickup as much, but it's depth.

If Hunter reunites Chimera-Laich-Ward as his third line, I think they can be pretty dangerous. And I'm pretty sure they're going to become far more ornery in their play.

But one thing he can't do is stifle them offensively. This isn't a Ken Hitchcock situation. That Blues roster screamed DEFENSE DEFENSE and more defense. This Caps roster screams let the horses out of the barn.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Genetic

goodbye coach barbeque sauce!

hello coach *********!

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I don't know. I thought they did before the season began, to be honest. I loved the acquisitions of Ward and Brouwer. Vokoun should have been a better pickup than what he's shown so far. Wasn't liking the Hamrlik pickup as much, but it's depth.

If Hunter reunites Chimera-Laich-Ward as his third line, I think they can be pretty dangerous. And I'm pretty sure they're going to become far more ornery in their play.

But one thing he can't do is stifle them offensively. This isn't a Ken Hitchcock situation. That Blues roster screamed DEFENSE DEFENSE and more defense. This Caps roster screams let the horses out of the barn.
Yes, but if you let the horses out of the barn, then you better have the blueline for the playoffs, and they're not even close.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Yes, but if you let the horses out of the barn, then you better have the blueline for the playoffs, and they're not even close.
With a healthy Green, and the addition of young Orlov, then yes I think they're close.

We'll find out soon enough!

Old
11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
With a healthy Green, and the addition of young Orlov, then yes I think they're close.

We'll find out soon enough!
Eh, I still say at the end of the day they replaced an ***clown with a history of losing to the Pens in the playoffs with another ***clown with an even bigger history of losing to the Pens in the layoffs.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Yes, there is changes yet to be made and I'm sure Hunter will not bulk at letting everyone know who the weak links are, and partition into fixing those. That could mean some players are on the outs in time.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Yeah. For instance, I wonder how long Hunter will tolerate Schultz playing like a massive fancy boy night in and night out? That dude is six and a half feet tall and plays like Goligoski on a particularly bad night in his own end. Without the offense to make up for it.

And really, that's just one example. I liked some of the pickups the Caps have made the last few years. But their lineup is rife with underachievers, softies and one dimensional players. Their personnel problems were/are a much bigger issue than their coach was, IMO.

I feel like the GM doesn't help matters much, either.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

It looks like Dale is saying, "wait until I get you in the shower, just ask, Semin."

Too soon?

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Yes, there is changes yet to be made and I'm sure Hunter will not bulk at letting everyone know who the weak links are, and partition into fixing those. That could mean some players are on the outs in time.
Hey, it worked when Boudreau did it, right?

The roster needs to be shaken up before the culture can change. When the playoffs come they're gonna be icing at least three top-six forwards that would rather float in the neutral zone than backcheck, one pairing that has a forward named Mike Green pretending to play defense, another that's being anchored by a 67-year old (approximately) Roman Hamrlik, and another by gentle giant Jeff Schultz.

That roster just screams tight playoff hockey.

TertiaryAssist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Yeah. For instance, I wonder how long Hunter will tolerate Schultz playing like a massive fancy boy night in and night out? That dude is six and a half feet tall and plays like Goligoski on a particularly bad night in his own end. Without the offense to make up for it.

And really, that's just one example. I liked some of the pickups the Caps have made the last few years. But their lineup is rife with underachievers, softies and one dimensional players. Their personnel problems were/are a much bigger issue than their coach was, IMO.

That's the thing. Even if Hunter lets the horses out of the barn and gets them back to where Boudreau had them two years ago, the ball still will be in McPhee's court, and that guy never has shown the willingness to part with major assets to make his team better for the playoffs.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post

I don't disagree. Schultz and Hamrlik are particularly soff. Semin is one guy I'm sure will need to shape up or get shipped out.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:05 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
That's the thing. Even if Hunter lets the horses out of the barn and gets them back to where Boudreau had them two years ago, the ball still will be in McPhee's court, and that guy never has shown the willingness to part with major assets to make his team better for the playoffs.
What exactly would McPhee trade and what exactly would he be getting back that would make things so much better?

Old
11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
What exactly would McPhee trade and what exactly would he be getting back that would make things so much better?
Well, for one thing, he has 2 first rounders in 2012 (Wsh and Col).

I think an upgrade on Semin would be my target. Semin and the Colorado first rounder would be the bait.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
malkovsby

Quote:

I think an upgrade on Semin would be my target. Semin and the Colorado first rounder would be the bait.
iginla
calg 2nd

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
It's clear that Semin needs a move, he's stagnating. You just know that we'll lose to the Caps on the 1st now because they've gotten a new coach who'll be fired up and won't want to lose in a such a fierce game. If Boudreau had still been in charge then, I might've given us a good chance to win that game, now, I'm 50/50.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:18 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:

This year, but he was talking about the past. I mean, what exactly has McPhee had to trade off and get a good deal back for?

Also, if the Caps trade Semin, what does their 2nd line look like?

Old
11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
mpp9

Quote:

I don't know what Semin's value is to GM's. He doesn't look like a career NHLer to me.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
This year, but he was talking about the past. I mean, what exactly has McPhee had to trade off and get a good deal back for?

Also, if the Caps trade Semin, what does their 2nd line look like?
It's been well documented that McPhee turned down a Chris Pronger deal the season before he landed in Philly. Anaheim wanted John Carlson. I love Carlson. He's really good. But for Chris Pronger? You do that deal. And they probably win the Cup.

If they trade Semin, they'll upgrade. Someone like Iginla, Doan, Hemsky, et al.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I think people miss the point with Boudreau. Sure we rag on his superficial stuff but the reality is, it wasn't the x's and o's that was the problem with Boudreau; he was an OK coach in that regard. It was his personality / his response to failure that made him a lousy coach in my estimation. The guy is not a winner, plain and simple. His attitude, as the leader of that team, sucked. He looked for more excuses in the media then any other coach I can think of right now. He always acted like it was someone else's fault they lost a big game or series; like they got screwed all the time.

That's why in a twisted sorta way I hoped the guy would never leave, despite a large amount of hate for his media behavior. It doesn't even matter if he had been right (which he wasn't). You don't be that guy in front of a bunch of impressionable young players. You be the guy that says "There are no excuses and I don't give a **** about _____ or the ref or anything else. We can play better, period!" That's what I'm afraid Dale Hunter will bring to that team.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
It's been well documented that McPhee turned down a Chris Pronger deal the season before he landed in Philly. Anaheim wanted John Carlson. I love Carlson. He's really good. But for Chris Pronger? You do that deal. And they probably win the Cup.

If they trade Semin, they'll upgrade. Someone like Iginla, Doan, Hemsky, et al.
Anaheim also wanted Varlamov and Alzner to even think about trading Pronger. In hindsight it is easy to say yeah, maybe they should have, but at the time, that was a pretty steep price to pay.

Also if they bring in Iginla or Doan, what do their lines look like? Does the new puzzle piece play on the first line with Backstrom and Ovechkin or do they get time with Laich/Perrault/Johansson whatever that jumble of a 2nd line will be that night?

I have no doubt McPhee will listen to offers about Semin since he's the odd man out with Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green having contracts beyond this season, but before they do, they need to fix other issues. That said, if they get a deal for Semin for a 3rd round draft pick that will also send off Hamrlik, they should do that.