HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps Fire Boudreau! (Signs with Anaheim)

Old
11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Gooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I like Boudreau, too. But I lost some respect when he tried to make that team into a defensive squad. That was just dumb and it was never going to work.

I think Hunter is smarter than that. He's going to play a system that caters to his best players, I suspect.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...nd-gun-hockey/

From here it appears he's going for a defense first philosophy. I actually gained respect from Boudreau when he showed he could coach a team to a very impressive record using a completely different system. To me that showed me he was a competent coach and not just someone who relied on Ovechkin to do his thing. Players eventually tune out coaches, even good ones. I can't argue that but Bruce is not a lousy coach at all.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkovsby View Post
iginla
calg 2nd
Calgary's 2nd is in Buffalo. The Flames wouldn't want to send a pick back anyway. If they trade Iginla it's not for Semin, it's for assets they'll want to control for a while.

IMO the problem with Boudreau is that he always seemed behind the curve on everything, reacting to negative outcomes instead of sticking up to his plan and trying to build up using the good parts. Jaroslav Halak is the only reason why they lost with that all-out offense. Maybe they would have lost later against us like the year before, who knows, but I hadn't seen a team dominate a series like they did for a long time. Then he went out and changed everything last year -- we all like to laugh at Mike Green but he was actually above average defensively last year -- but they weren't built for that style at all. Then whichever way this year's style has been described -- a blend or something different yet again, that was again starting from scratch instead of figuring out that if these guys win it's going to be 5-3 or 6-4.

I'm not worried about the Caps with their current roster, and they can't add anyone without sending salary back. But we're not light years ahead of them. If their underperforming parts (Ovechkin, Semin, Hamrlik, Vokoun) start working and they can upgrade on Wideman or Knuble, they'll be in good shape no matter how much we hate them.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Bad news for us. I liked them having an incompetent coach.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:48 PM
TheDudeAbides

This sucks, they're going to be a very different team now, one that actually has a chance at going deep into the playoffs. Dale is going to make that team more accountable defensively and they'll use guys like chimera a bit more now as I'm sure they'll be playing in a grittier system.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
I wish they had kept the blinders on and not fired BB. This could be what turns the capitals around. It happened with the Pens, who is to say it can't happen with the caps.

I for one, am sorta scared.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I'm not familiar with Hunters coaching style. I have watched some London games since he's been there but never really payed attention to coaching. Is he a X & O's guy or another "let's go get them" guy?

Old
11-28-2011, 08:34 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
This sucks, they're going to be a very different team now, one that actually has a chance at going deep into the playoffs. Dale is going to make that team more accountable defensively and they'll use guys like chimera a bit more now as I'm sure they'll be playing in a grittier system.
Bruce tried making everyone more accountable also. What Hunter is going to try to do is everything Bruce was trying to do.

It's not all on the coach here...that team has some attitude issues.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:35 PM
66-29-33

BAD news for the East and the NHL. The Caps will come ALIVE! much like the 09 Pens did when we fired MT, because they will be free of BB. As for the playoffs....i doubt they change, that team is not built for the playoffs. If Hunter wants certain types of players, Caps would dominate even in the playoffs, which makes me SICK!!! but as of now, i don't see them as a better playoff team, because once they going gets rough, they start giving up. They will do a little better IMO because they have a few of the RIGHT players, and a top goalie.

Find it funny how Caps fire their coach and we play Caps Thursday, Canes fire their coach and we play them Saturday.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...nd-gun-hockey/

From here it appears he's going for a defense first philosophy. I actually gained respect from Boudreau when he showed he could coach a team to a very impressive record using a completely different system. To me that showed me he was a competent coach and not just someone who relied on Ovechkin to do his thing. Players eventually tune out coaches, even good ones. I can't argue that but Bruce is not a lousy coach at all.
Fastest coach to 200 wins in NHL history IIRC? you can't be a bad coach to do that. He's not exactly the best motivator, but he's not a bad coach.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Fastest coach to 200 wins in NHL history IIRC? you can't be a bad coach to do that. He's not exactly the best motivator, but he's not a bad coach.
Please, he was in the right place at the right time. If the Caps got a coach like Bylsma who prepares his butt off & can get a team to go through the X's & O's every night, they would be in the same position as the Pens right now.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I think BB is a good coach. I won't let my dislike for him affect my opinion on that. I think a coaches message just gets stale after a while and you need a new voice. BB will still get a new coaching job in the not too distant future, imo.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Please, he was in the right place at the right time. If the Caps got a coach like Bylsma who prepares his butt off & can get a team to go through the X's & O's every night, they would be in the same position as the Pens right now.
So you think just any shmo could do what he did? yeah right.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
mpp9

There will be trades made if McPhee wants to truly fix the situation. Their defense is nowhere near a cup contender's and Semin should have been moved awhile ago, I guess McPhee isn't getting too many offers for him.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I think BB is a good coach. I won't let my dislike for him affect my opinion on that. I think a coaches message just gets stale after a while and you need a new voice. BB will still get a new coaching job in the not too distant future, imo.
Anaheim if they fire their coach perhaps?

Old
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

NOOOOOOOOOO why lord why???

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

IMO, Boudreau is a good coach but his style (the low-technical motivator) has a shelf-life. Bruce got to stick around for longer than he should have just because the amazing talent they have on that team kept them with a decent/good record.

There's rumblings that Ovie is a bit of a headcase where he wants to do what he wants to do. I'm not totally sure how true that is. In any case, I have a hard time seeing this 30-goal, 60-point pace being who Ovechkin is now.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:05 AM
vikingGoalie

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...oudreau-firing

is it me or does OV seem to be trying to hide a smile/smirk...

Last edited by vikingGoalie: 11-29-2011 at 12:14 AM.
vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:14 AM
PTWarrior66*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...oudreau-firing

is it me or does OV seem to be trying hide a smile/smirk...
It looks like there's something in his mouth when he talks.

PTWarrior66* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Would like to see the Caps play under Hunter a few games at least before I start to pontificate in honest .

Only thing is that McPhee seems right in saying that the change needed to be made - that "the tank was empty" and the players weren't buying what was being sold. Perhaps they will be in a buying mindset again with a new coach, or enough of them will be that you see a positive change.

As far as I am concerned, the big difference - more so than Boudreau changing the system - is Ovechkin being out of shape, Green being injured and Semin mailing it in with more regularity than his norm. The Caps are 8-0 with Green in the lineup (left early in his 8th game). Of course, the room being lost means that games in which they trail turn into routs with regularity rather than inspiring come backs. That's a sure sign of a set of players not working for their coach.

We know what it means to be short your most decisive puck mover and PP QB. Now so do they (Caps are 17 the in the league on the PP, yet Mike Green has been on the ice for 8 PP goals in his 8 games. Backström who leads them in that category too, has 13 PP points in 22 games).

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:26 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I think where Boudreau failed was the fact that if you want to implement more of a two-way system, that's fine. It's probably what they needed, but you cannot spend more than one whole season messing around when everyone's drumming their fingers waiting for a Cup run.

Also you can't change the system but lose much of what you had before. Backstrom had 65 points in 77 games last year, and AO being under a point per game is simply unacceptable. Doesn't mean it's all Bruce's fault but it just can't happen.

The problem of course runs deeper than the coach though. For their sake hopefully a new coach will cover up some other deficiences, but the locker room is lacking in terms of accountability and players who are multi-dimensional in their contributions. They've got some outspoken guys but there's something missing in their mix there. If Semin is tradeable I think it would be wise to try and compose a second line that is very different from AO's line. A line that won't be as talented due to the cap but a group of three guys that are good two-way players that contribute enough on offense. Basically a logical compliment to the first line.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:28 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Excuse the double post but I thought it was justified due to being a slightly different topic within the thread:

Do you guys think there might be any truth to the school of thought from a couple years ago that the way AO plays he won't be able to keep it up over an entire career? I've seen the pics and heard the talk about him being in not-so-great shape, but is the above a factor too? He doesn't seem like the same player at all. It's an incredible task to go 100 mph over an entire season and playoffs, hit everything that moves, and score 50-60 goals.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:31 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

With the rumor floating around now that the Ducks are shopping Bobby Ryan, that would suck BIG balls if Washington acquired him.

Semin (possibly Semin +) to Ducks
Ryan to Washington

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:39 AM
mpp9

Anaheim management deserves to be sent to the lowest pits of hell if they make a trade based around Semin.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Anaheim management deserves to be sent to the lowest pits of hell if they make a trade based around Semin.
Well, I sure don't like the idea of Ovechkin Backstrom Ryan so they should be sent to hell on that account alone.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:48 AM
mpp9

Washington doesn't have the pieces to acquire him, I'm not worried.

We're in trouble if Ryan goes to the Bruins.