Wellman, McIntyre up; Prosser, Peters down

Old
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Wellman, McIntyre up; Prosser, Peters down

Quote:
Russostrib: Casey Wellman and David McIntyre are recalled by #mnwild and Nate Prosser and Warren Peters are reassigned. Expect Lundin and Zanon to play
These are exactly the two players I wanted up. Both have been excellent for the Aeros this year and DESERVE a chance to improve this Wild club.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:47 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Is this a Wellman gets to play and MacIntyre gets a pat on the back call up? With Peters going down, one of them has to play (unless we dress 7 defensemen).

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Third time the charm for Casey?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:55 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Oh thank god that Prosser is gone...

His last two games were just <insert strong negative adjective here>.

Insert options;
Junk.
Crap.
Abortions on Ice.
Flaming Bags of Poo on your Doorstep.

I want the kid to succeed, but man, the kid looked like a fresh out of high school amateur out there.

Falk?

*scratches head*

I posted this statement on twitter yesterday; "Falk; Taking the fear out of a waiver claim, one shift at a time..."

/sigh

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

To their credit they were playing fantastic hockey before Thanksgiving. Both kids are young and a couple bad shifts can snowball for them.

One thing I noticed with Yeo, he's the opposite of reactionary. He likes to challenge and let guys respond and give them a lot more rope than most coaches would. Interesting to see how that plays out long term.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:07 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i don't know how you can single Falk out as playing bad the last couple games. everyone was hideous. Spurgeon was a lot worse IMO but had some very good plays to mitigate the overall atrociousness.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:11 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i don't know how you can single Falk out as playing bad the last couple games. everyone was hideous. Spurgeon was a lot worse IMO but had some very good plays to mitigate the overall atrociousness.
Falk and Prosser were consistently atrocious. Spurgeon... I only noticed his negatives two or three times in both weekend games. I noticed more positives with Spurgeon than negatives, honestly. There were a couple of noticeable times last night where he actually muscled a guy off the puck. Little Spurgie...

Enough to make me chuckle and say "Little Spurgie did wut?"

I can point at both Falk and Prosser (before they were split as a D-pair) for at least four combined goals in the 10 scored between Friday and Sunday games...

Old
11-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

During the games the young guys sometimes make me . They have looked very good so far, but this last stretch of games has been just awful. That being said they still are young and games like the previous 2 will happen. I have to remember to look towards the future and not the present right now.

What does concern me is the fact that the quality is either there or it's not. I don't understand how we can play so aggressive and smart one game, and then seem so passive and unskilled in the next game.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I didn't get to see either blowout (back with the family in the land of no FSN over Thanksgiving) so I can't comment on those or the Nashville game.

Falk has made mistakes, and been exposed out there in previous games. However, every time that has happened, I've gone back muttering "Falk screwing it up again in his 5 minutes on the ice..." before looking at his TOI and seeing that he was out there for more than 20 minutes. Obviously Yeo likes him. He's had over 25 minutes multiple times this season. The fact that he's second amongst defensemen in +/- (behind Stoner!) when he's been getting such a ridiculous amount of ice time tells me that he's not playing poorly. He's going to make mistakes, and shouldn't be out there nearly as much as he has been, but I don't think I can criticize his play considering the role I think he should have versus what he's been asked to do. Also, Falk leads the defense in QUALCOMP which measures the average +/- of the opponents a player faces. The difference is largely insignificant though (Scandella is second to last, but only trails Falk by 0.094).

Edit to add: Falk's QUALTEAM (like QUALCOMP except for teammates) is significantly the lowest amongst our D. That means his teammates have been worse, but he's facing harder competition than any other defenseman on the roster. The caveat, of course, is that these stats at this point in a season are somewhat self referencing. If he screws up and causes a goal against, his QUALCOMP goes up and QUALTEAM goes down. Over 20 games the effect of his mistakes is still significant upon these stats. Over a full season it should mostly wash out.

Last edited by squidz*: 11-28-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

For what it is worth... I've been a Falk supporter this season up to the last two games.

I don't know if it is primarily him trying to cover for Prosser's ****-ups, or what, but his normally very solid, "I'm making Zanon look bad" play was dismal.

Although, last night... man was that some bad hockey to watch... all around... Even Koivu couldn't control the puck and there were players falling all over the ice (in the same spots, too...)

Old
11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Russo says:

Falk banged up.

Gillies scratched for McIntyre.

D-pairings:

Schultz-Lundin
Stoner-Zanon
Scandella-Spurgeon

Old
11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds like big lineup changes tonight...

Gillies scratched, Wellman and McIntyre in. Love this. Gillies is tall and fast...that's about it. 2 points in 20 games for a non-fighter ain't cutting it.

Prosser down and Falk scratched. Lundin should be a solid defenseman once he gets up to speed. Not sure about Zanon yet but maybe his awful play this year was due to injury.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Zanon has to be incredibly motivated tonight. The only question then is, does that help him or hurt him?

Old
11-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I'd like to see what Wellman can do in the top 6 so Clutterbuck can return to the role he excels at.

Very interested in what the lines look like tonight, should be some big, big changes.

Also happy we finally get to see what Lundin is made of.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:44 PM
nickschultzfan

For a team that struggles to get offense, Wellman should have been called up earlier.

Clutterbuck is a checker. He should stay in the bottom-6. Russo can say that Clutterbuck-Cullen-Bouchard is a threat game after game, but the fact remains that that line has NOT gotten on the scoreboard very much.

Put Wellman in the top-6. Split up the 1st line. And see if we can get some offense going!!!!

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

OR

Keep Koivu with Heatley, put Wellman on the fourth line, and blame the goalie for losing the game

Old
11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Fully expect to be completely under-whelmed by Wellman. Per usual.

Nice to see McIntyre get the call, though. Think he'll stick around for a little while.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Do we have any fighters in the AHL that could replace Staubitz? Kassian maybe?

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
FinnishBabyJesus

I'm fine with gillies going down. I think I may only one who thinks he should be the odd man out next year with Granlund coming over (assuming he plays center). Koivu, Granlund, Cullen, Brodziak down the middle. Put Powe and Johnson on the 4th line with Brodziak, Clutter on the 3rd with Cullen and whoever else. So far you have to reward Brodz and Cullen with how well they have been this year. The Powe Brodz Johnson line has been money and Cullen is flying out there.

FinnishBabyJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
FinnishBabyJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Do we have any fighters in the AHL that could replace Staubitz? Kassian maybe?
I would be happy with that. If we are going to waste a roster spot on someone like Staubitz, we might as well have a heavyweight. Not even counting the game against Eddy, Staubitz has gotten too many dumb minors this year, and they aren't even because of physical play.

FinnishBabyJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Thinking and pretty hopeful this is Wellman's last shot with this squad. Just doesn't belong at the NHL level. Hope he can continue to play well in Houston, though.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i miss gillies already.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:32 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
OR

Keep Koivu with Heatley, put Wellman on the fourth line, and blame the goalie for losing the game
2 out of 3 ain't bad

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:07 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishBabyJesus View Post
I'm fine with gillies going down. I think I may only one who thinks he should be the odd man out next year with Granlund coming over (assuming he plays center). Koivu, Granlund, Cullen, Brodziak down the middle. Put Powe and Johnson on the 4th line with Brodziak, Clutter on the 3rd with Cullen and whoever else. So far you have to reward Brodz and Cullen with how well they have been this year. The Powe Brodz Johnson line has been money and Cullen is flying out there.
Gillies is better than Staubitz, so he should have a place in the line-up.

And Powe looks far too much like Veilleux. Lots of energy. Ok at create offense by himself. But totally kills the offensive zone possession a lot. Powe should go back to the 4th line.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
WildisLaw
2.1.13 THE YOUNGER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Gillies is better than Staubitz, so he should have a place in the line-up.

And Powe looks far too much like Veilleux. Lots of energy. Ok at create offense by himself. But totally kills the offensive zone possession a lot. Powe should go back to the 4th line.
Powe is only on the 3rd line because Gui has a concussion and has forced a player up from each lower line. Putting Wellman on the 4th line did absolutely nothing, like i thought it would. Im still scratching my head about that one, it makes more sense to put him with Brodz/Johnson. It should be 3 scoring lines, 1 checking....not 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line, 1 useless line. I hate Staubitz, sorry i'll never forget those 8 PIM's.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote