HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The real culprit is the Power Play; Weber

Old
11-27-2011, 09:11 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
The real culprit is the Power Play; Weber

This team is built on special teams and goaltending. The coach even brags about it. So before you expect a big trade or a firing look for the team to try to re-work the PP.

Weber has been absolutely trash recently and it showed last night yet again. When Markov comes back there still won't be a fearful point shot, what'll be the options then?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Honestly, all I can think of is a Subban-Markov pairing at the point... Then, when Campoli comes back, you put him with Weber second pairing, seeing the last 30-45 seconds of the Powerplay... Until then, we can't really change much, since we don't have any other option. Maybe Spacek and Weber?

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
crazybird87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
This team is built on special teams and goaltending. The coach even brags about it. So before you expect a big trade or a firing look for the team to try to re-work the PP.

Weber has been absolutely trash recently and it showed last night yet again. When Markov comes back there still won't be a fearful point shot, what'll be the options then?
Cameltoe also contributing a lot with the unefficient PP so far...Turning the puck over a lot , taking shots from impossible angle or missing the net wide ....

I miss so much the confident guy he is in the playoff !

crazybird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Toastman

Like I said in the Weber thread I started a few days ago, this guy has been BRUTAL on the PP for us. He almost never gets a good shot off.

MARKOV

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I can't wait for Weber to be out of the lineup. The guy doesn't do anything to help the team IMO.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:29 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I can't wait for Weber to be out of the lineup. The guy doesn't do anything to help the team IMO.
He's needed because we're literally missing players. He just seems so soft, so lost and so weak though. Diaz is going to the minors, and Emelin is here to stay so that leaves Weber as trade bait/7th imo.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Gary320

I think Weber has been bait for a trade since his pro career started.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
HCH

I agree that Weber has been very poor on the PP. His shot is his major strength but he never seems to take the one-timer. Does he have a mental block, are the passes poor, is the coaching staff asking him to look for a pass before shooting? Whatever it is, it isn't working.

Personally, I think he is more comfortable on the right side than on the left side, but he would have to be a lot better to justify his position on the PP.

He is definitely one of the problems. He might be one of the biggest problems but certainly not the only one.

Whoever is coaching the PK is doing a great job. Maybe we should be scouring the coaching ranks for someone who has consistently demonstrated an ability to put a superior PP on the ice.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Mr. Hab

Playing vs Weber = easy FREE PASS towards our goalie.

Weber was absolute garbage against the Pens (first time I'm trashing him here but he really was). He can somehow look so lost when he doesn't have the puck (especially vs the Pens). And I've noticed quite often Weber has been a -3 (after a game) quite often now. And against the Pens he was a main culprit (with lazy).

We had the 2pts but Weber helped the Pens get the victory and we ended up with 1pt instead of 2pts (still glad we got 1pt though but still pissed we didn't get the WIN since it was ours).

Weber was -3 but could easily have been -4 or worse (since he was on when a goal was refused). He was to blame on many goals vs the Pens (not sure what he was doing on the last goal and why was Staal so open? Weber gave the space by dreaming).

I feel safer with maybe...St-Denis vs Weber on defense.
We might be better with Weber as a 4th line winger.

Not sure if Weber wants to grab the opportunity to actually play strong defense...imo he's failing.

I'm afraid he'll turn into a Streit somewhere else, so...I wouldn't trade him (unless we get a player we cannot refuse, ex: a Chris Neil or a Nick Foligno).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
HCH

Quote:
He's needed because we're literally missing players. He just seems so soft, so lost and so weak though. Diaz is going to the minors, and Emelin is here to stay so that leaves Weber as trade bait/7th imo.
Unfortunately for Diaz, Gill has a spot sewed up. I say unfortunate because he is playing better than Gill.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Habsfan18

I can't wait to see Markov back to making perfect one-timer cross ice passes from the point.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 09:53 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Weber was absolute garbage against the Pens (first time I'm trashing him here but he really was). And I've noticed quite often Weber has been a -3 (after a game) quite often now. But against the Pens he was a main culprit.

We had the 2pts but Weber helped the Pens get the victory and we ended up with 1pt instead of 2pts (still glad we got 1pt though but still pissed we didn't get the WIN since it was ours).

Weber was -3 but could easily have been -4 or worse (since he was on when a goal was refused). He was to blame on many goals vs the Pens (not sure what he was doing on the last goal and why was Staal so open? Weber gave the space by dreaming).

I feel safer with maybe...St-Denis vs Weber on defense.
We might be better with Weber as a 4th line winger.

Not sure if Weber wants to grab the opportunity to actually play strong defense...imo he's failing.

I'm afraid he'll turn into a Streit somewhere else, so...I wouldn't trade him (unless we get a player we cannot refuse, ex: a Chris Neil or a Nick Foligno).
I wouldn't mind if Weber became a Streit with another team as long as we got a player in return who has a chance of helping our team. Unfortunately our defense has a bunch of players with similar skills... Weber, Diaz, Campoli. In reality, a team can only afford to have one of these guys on the team.

I wouldn't be averse to moving both Weber and Campoli if we could get a physical #4 or #5 defensemen to take their place. I would also take a big winger with 15-20 goal potential to play with Pleks.

Old
11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I wouldn't mind if Weber became a Streit with another team as long as we got a player in return who has a chance of helping our team. Unfortunately our defense has a bunch of players with similar skills... Weber, Diaz, Campoli. In reality, a team can only afford to have one of these guys on the team.

I wouldn't be averse to moving both Weber and Campoli if we could get a physical #4 or #5 defensemen to take their place. I would also take a big winger with 15-20 goal potential to play with Pleks.
Definitely agree with the above.
Would love to get a top 4 dman or another big forward.

WEBER = TRADE BAIT

The coach has got to watch his ice-time and his MINUSES (he's a -3 in many games now...terrible for our Habs), so...maybe he's not worth as much as we think he is (hope I'm wrong).

Campoli...I'd still like to see him come back and form a duo with Gorges (Campoli - Gorges)...I see a lot of potential in this duo. I just hope Campoli doesn't become injury prone when he comes back...would have to trade him before this would happen (tough decision?).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-27-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
11-27-2011, 10:13 AM
AraGOHABSGO

I would love to see this:

Cole - Eller/DD - Pacio
A.K - Plecks/Subban

A.K has the hardest shot among all of the players. And he can also setup really well.

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:43 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 567
Weber is playing really bad lately when we need him. One of the reasons why he is on the first wave is because he leads us in PP goals. I would like to see subban and plek on the point on the first wave right now.
Yannick needs to step it up
I would hate to trade him unless the return is good because he is still young and can grow.

If the return is low or another rental then that is just another example of trading a young guy too early

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:45 AM
jonas2244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Definitely agree with the above.
Would love to get a top 4 dman or another big forward.

WEBER = TRADE BAIT

The coach has got to watch his ice-time and his MINUSES (he's a -3 in many games now...terrible for our Habs), so...maybe he's not worth as much as we think he is (hope I'm wrong).
He has two -3 games, he also has two +2 games. Those numbers just don't say much about what a player can do. Great players can have negative numbers while it can also be the other way round.

You can blame everything on Weber, that's easy, but it's just not true. He had a very solid start into the season, and played some bad games in the past weeks. Weber was not worse than anybody else on the point. Subban was not better, Plec and Diaz also not. Weber has at least 3 goals.

In my opinion the Habs should still be more concerned about their offensive depth than about their defensive depth. If the offence would reach its current potential (like Weber/Diaz/Emelin are probably doing it) the Habs would have won more games, for sure.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:53 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
After watching him for 2+ years in Hamilton I'm not surprised to see these comments. He was never more than one dimensional down here but he was a draft pick and given all the hype. When he was called up last year he was I think -5 and there were guys playing better. Looks like he managed to step it up for awhile this year but he's never been consistent and that seems to be showing now.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:

For the most part I agree. Although, since our 5 on 5 play has been improved quite a bit, I don't think our team will need the man advantage to work to the extent it did in previous seasons (ie: top of the league). I would be happy with it being mediocre so long as it scored on important basis. In other words, 0 goals on 5 powerplays in a game is unacceptable.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Watched Weber for 2+ years in Hamilton and he never was more than a one dimensional player. When he was called up last year I think he was -5 with other guys playing better than him but he was a draft pick and they get all the hype and chances. Seeing these comments is not a great surprise, he did have a good start, but looks like he's settling into his normal game.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:01 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
how much you wanna bet that when markov comes back, martin will put pleks and markov together on the point lol

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:01 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I can't wait to see Markov back to making perfect one-timer cross ice passes from the point.
Anaheim, on wednesday night...book it!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Weber was amazing to start the year, IMO. Now, he's pretty bad. Complete 180.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 11:13 AM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Weber was amazing to start the year, IMO. Now, he's pretty bad. Complete 180.

can't agree more

Old
11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
He has two -3 games, he also has two +2 games. Those numbers just don't say much about what a player can do. Great players can have negative numbers while it can also be the other way round.

You can blame everything on Weber, that's easy, but it's just not true. He had a very solid start into the season, and played some bad games in the past weeks. Weber was not worse than anybody else on the point. Subban was not better, Plec and Diaz also not. Weber has at least 3 goals.

In my opinion the Habs should still be more concerned about their offensive depth than about their defensive depth. If the offence would reach its current potential (like Weber/Diaz/Emelin are probably doing it) the Habs would have won more games, for sure.
I'm not even mentioning the PP.

I'm just mentioning how he has been recently non-existent on defense (he was on ice for 4 goals, one was refused, and he looked useless and so lost on all of them...this is not struggling this is ZERO hockey sense on DEFENSE when checking a player and also being ahead of a play and prepared like when J.Staal received a pass and had a semi-breakaway...Weber created all that space for Staal 'cause Weber was daydreaming instead of being prepared and in position...he looked terrible vs the Pens, terrible...it should have been our 2 pts...Price did so well but Weber crashed the party and ruined it...Letang scored the winning goal and Weber could easily have taken him instead of hugging the post while not taking anyone...he lost the game for us as simple as that).

We should already be in 7th spot right now but there's always 2-3 players who mess it up for us (ex: Weber, Cammalleri).

Old
11-27-2011, 11:15 AM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Anaheim, on wednesday night...book it!
he has played well last time we played there
cameback from down 3-0 to win 4-3 shootout

my guess he will be back against LA or CBJ