Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Vezina conversation includes Ondrej Pavelec

Old
11-18-2011, 12:09 PM
MadMen88

vCash: 500
My Vezina conversation includes Ondrej Pavelec

Ondrej Pavelec just might be the best goaltender in the NHL. Okay, okay, before you start throwing names like Pekka Rinne, Craig Anderson, Mike Smith and Kari Lehtonen at me, I just want to point out that with a GAA of over 3 and save percentage of .900 Ondrej Pavelec remains in the discussion because of his abilitly to make a great deal of saves even in games where he gives up 3 or above. Seriously, he has been phenomenal this year in almost every game. Who knows, Winnipeg boasts the best goalie in the National Hockey League, that's something fans can jump on and ride a pretty long way. One things forsure, teams around the league are soon going to figure out just how good this guy really is, and I think the Winnipeg organization better realize this in a way that establishes more emphasis on defensive hockey. We have the guns to score, but can we play good enough in front of him?

MadMen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
tbcwpg

Sorry, he just doesn't have the stats for it. He's the team's MVP, but not a Vezina candidate.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Perhaps in a few years but it would only garner laughs right now.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:36 PM
SonicBoom

I guess we can put the trade Pavelec thread to rest for now (from after the Philly game). Funny how quickly things change on this board.

SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Diatidialga

Pavs is good, but no where near the best

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen88 View Post
Ondrej Pavelec just might be the best goaltender in the NHL. Okay, okay, before you start throwing names like Pekka Rinne, Craig Anderson, Mike Smith and Kari Lehtonen at me
Wait, what?!

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Sorry, he just doesn't have the stats for it. He's the team's MVP, but not a Vezina candidate.
A couple of bad games have skewed his stats. There is still A LOT of hockey left to be played.

I'm not saying ATM he is a Vezina candidate, but he absolutely has potential, and his numbers could still improve significantly as the season goes along, especially when Hainsey comes back, and if Byfuglien continues to recognize the ice has 3 zones

11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
MadMen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Wait, what?!
Yeah, I dug deep, because I just don't think Jimmy Howard's a good goalie, nor do I believe Brian Elliot will remain the starter with Hitch and the boys playing well with Halak...can anyone be a Vezina winner while playing in Pittsburgh? Enroth has been good, but who knows, Khabibulin looks to be coming back to earth a bit, I like Winnipeg's chances with Pavelec moving forward..

Mike Smith has a GAA of 2.17 and SV % of .934...more importantly, he has a record with a Yotes club that was projected to take a dive of 8-3-3...

Lehtonen GAA is 2.47 and SV % of .925, a record of 11-3-0...and oh yeah, he's been playing for the Stars...um...Craig Anderson was mainly thrown in there because Ottawa is somehow doing it... but while there are a few others in Quick in Los Angeles, Jimmy Howard (ok, he's mention worthy!) and Niklas Backstrom, I know it's way too early, but I really like what I'm seeing develop.

GO JETS!

Old
11-18-2011, 01:23 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Totally agree with u on this one.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
PensFan6687

There are a lot of games where he has been mediocre. What games have you been watching, and some of those goalies you named.... Youch!

Vezina? LOL Lets skip the stats. He's been downright awful at times, but brilliant at others. But the latter is just as abundant as the aforementioned.

I don't think there should be a discussion of removing the guy from our team in the shape or form of a trade or this Vezina silliness. It's still too early, and neither discussion has much logic or sense to them.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:48 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

What?? You think a GAA over 3 and a .900 save percentage are vezina like numbers??

His .900 ranks 49th in the league (there are a handful of goalies with only a few games played).

His GAA ranks 54th in the league.

Ranks 24th in wins.

Ranks 5th in loses.

He is no where near Vezina contention.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
There are a lot of games where he has been mediocre. What games have you been watching, and some of those goalies you named.... Youch!

Vezina? LOL Lets skip the stats. He's been downright awful at times, but brilliant at others. But the latter is just as abundant as the aforementioned.

I don't think there should be a discussion of removing the guy from our team in the shape or form of a trade or this Vezina silliness. It's still too early, and neither discussion has much logic or sense to them.
Totally disagree with the bolded. He has been brilliant and been the reason this team has even had chances to win games a heck of a lot more than he has been awful.

The Jets coaches, players, and announcers continually talk about how Pavlec has been their best player and been the reason they have won some of their games.

But Vezina talk? I don't think he is in that discussion.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:06 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

sorry bro but he is no where near a vezina candidate at the moment.
come back in March and we can have this conversation again.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
MadMen88

Hey, I know a lot more save's need to be made for any type of discussion to take place, that the Jets as a whole are a long way away from, but all I'm saying is that this guy kicks out pucks like a Vezina winner. I don't know about you guys, but he looks THAT GOOD to me. Seriously. The team in front of him is terrible compared to how good he's been (and I mean no disrespect). If Winnipeg can tighten up the system a bit, get a few players going in Kane, Little and Buff...I think we could potentially see something very special as early as this season. Ondrej is Vezina capable and he'll have his bad games. I shouldn't have said Vezina perhaps, but I really think he's been one of the best so far.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1300
As much as I like Pavelec, until he plays on a defensive systemed team or carries this team on his back through the playoffs he won't be given consideration.

We watch him on a regular basis, so we know what he can do. Others really just look at stats.

Although I will say that NHL.com bothers me with it's bias towards certain players on their "plays of the week" etc. videos. Pav's has made some ridiculous saves that easily top some of those that are highlighted.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:28 PM
moose3322

eeeehhhhhh......sorry but I think you are way off, maybe a little case of homerism and league ignorance?

I dont doubt that Pavelec can be one of the better goalies in the NHL, he looks amazing some nights. The team defense has been brutal for the most part, so his stats are nowhere near showing of his ability.

But, you cant be serious if you think he is anywhere near Vezina consideration with those stats. There are MANY great goalies in this league, yes, even better than smith and anderson . Not everybody can be a vezina candidate. We should be happy with a goalie that has shown unreal ability and may be a top 10 goaltender in the near future.

moose3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Captain Clutch 13

I like Pavelec but he's still considered to be a bottom 10 goalie in the league right now. Once the team gets better around him and if he can build some consistency he may get a shot one day. He's got talent but is a long, long ways from vezina candidacy.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:14 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 698
There are 6 starting goalies with a SV% of .930. Pavelec is no where near that right now. It would take two months of strong consistent play to pull that off. Give him 2-3 years and he'll find his way into these conversations.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

he does look like he has good potential but he is inconsistent....the goalie who was giving rebounds to the blue line 8 games ago is not gone....he's just hiding

it is amazing that his stats are so bad because he has been so good lately...shows how bad he was for the first 10 games.

hopefully in a couple of years we can have a more legitimate discussion about him winning awards.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
dkehler

I think he definitely has the potential to be one of the top netminders in the league and, in fact, has played much better than his numbers would seem to indicate, in my opinion. His "weaknesses" as I see them are, in no particular order:
  • seems to get beat high to the glove side fairly often
  • rebound control could be better at times
  • seems to lose sight of the puck after making a save at times

Many of those are probably nitpicky.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:41 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
he does look like he has good potential but he is inconsistent....the goalie who was giving rebounds to the blue line 8 games ago is not gone....he's just hiding

it is amazing that his stats are so bad because he has been so good lately...shows how bad he was for the first 10 games.

hopefully in a couple of years we can have a more legitimate discussion about him winning awards.
..and how bad the defense was...

Old
11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

I dunno if id blame the defence...He was pretty terrible.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
I dunno if id blame the defence...He was pretty terrible.
....... Yeah, ok. Buff hasn't been awful up until the past week or anything. Oduya didn't totally **** the bed in the first game. Jones didn't blow it in his first game or two. Enstrom didn't struggle in his first few games or anything.

Old
11-18-2011, 05:13 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Totally disagree with the bolded. He has been brilliant and been the reason this team has even had chances to win games a heck of a lot more than he has been awful.

The Jets coaches, players, and announcers continually talk about how Pavlec has been their best player and been the reason they have won some of their games.

But Vezina talk? I don't think he is in that discussion.
I still say it's 50/50. Lots of games where he looked bad earlier on, but I gotta say he's turning it around. He even admitted to his weak play earlier on. Like others said, it will be a while before, if ever he reaches Vezina consideration this season. Or any NHL campaign from here on in, but it's definitely possible that we can have a Vezina discussion and he could be legitimately in it one day. Just not today.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
take away that Philly game and Pavs stats look much better

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote