HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Prospect in the World Juniors

Old
12-20-2011, 07:20 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluenote View Post
Schwartz was definitely one of the best players for Canada tonight. On every side of the puck. He's got a great game in tight and can protect the puck really well. One thing that stood out more than others was his patience with the puck. He's got all the tools to become a great Blue one day.
You can watch the tape of the Canada-Finland Dec. 19 prelim game here.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:00 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Will a blue-chip prospect forward lead his team to WJC gold for two straight years? Schwartz named Canada's captain today. Awesome for him. Really hope he shines this tourney, he was clearly best forward on the ice in the Finland tune-up, no matter what Granlund's people will tell you.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
If Schwartz has a good showing, I wonder if he could make the Blues next season.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

the Blues on facebook:

Blues prospect Jaden Schwartz has been named captain of Team Canada and will lead the team in the World Junior Championships tournament, which begins Dec. 26.

not really a suprise but still I`m proud, hope he gets it done, pressure will be enormous for sure

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Will a blue-chip prospect forward lead his team to WJC gold for two straight years? Schwartz named Canada's captain today. Awesome for him. Really hope he shines this tourney, he was clearly best forward on the ice in the Finland tune-up, no matter what Granlund's people will tell you.
oh sorry, just saw it on FB, thought I`d be the 1st one here

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Cheli

Schwartz with two assists today in a 7-1 win over Switzerland.

Boxscore: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...2/ss_id/56000/

Full video of the game will probably be up on TSN's website tomorrow (video player link posted somewhere above).

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
anyone know what line Schwartz is on

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
anyone know what line Schwartz is on
TSN lists it as the second line for the currently running game (vs Sweden). The GDT lists it as the third line with Hamilton and Stone, but I've seen him playing with Huberdeau one shift. I think the lines are still a bit in transition, but it's not the first line.

Schwartz had a GREAT play on the PK, stole the puck and carried it into the offensive zone. Didn't get a shot off as he got surrounded by 2-3 Swedes, who took the puck away from him and into the corner. Schwartz goes into the corner and battles with the two Swedes, killing off even more time. Hopefully it goes up on Youtube, otherwise I'll get a timestamp when the game video is uploaded.

EDIT: Schwartz's line just battled to steal the puck off the Swedes and scored the opening goal. Schwartz was definitely playing with Hamilton and Stone, he carried it into the zone and made a pass to Stone who made a nice little deke thing to put it past the goalie.

EDIT2: Saw Schwartz playing with Connolly and Pearson. Maybe he just takes long shifts and I keep seeing him on with random guys before he changes. He's back on with Stone and Hamilton now, they just had a good chance - Schwartz drop pass to Stone with a good quick shot on goal (3 on 1). Swedes score on the following shift.

Swedes score quickly again to go up 2-1. Schwartz is on the ice with Bournival and Gallagher for this goal against. Swedes score again ... Canada has basically fallen apart in a couple of minutes, going from a 1-0 lead to a 3-1 deficit in 1:48. First period is over.

Last edited by Cheli: 12-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Cheli

I liked Schwartz on the PP. He was kind of everywhere. Initially playing the right point, occasionally skating into the faceoff circle, and got a shot away when he skated into the slot, then skated into the corner to pursue the rebound.

He's playing PP, PK, even strength. Announcers are saying his name a lot tonight. He was playing with Gallagher during 4 on 4, now he's playing on the PP again and got a decent chance.

EDIT: sorry for my spammish tendencies today, but Schwartz just scored a sick SH breakaway goal (not flashy, just a nice shot off a pass from Gallagher). It's 4-3 Sweden.

EDIT2: Sweden wins 5-3. I would really recommend you guys watch the full game when the video becomes available if you have the time, there's some ugly sloppy play from Canada (though a great game in the 3rd) but it was a good game to see how Schwartz plays.

Last edited by Cheli: 12-23-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old
12-24-2011, 03:09 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Schwartz will tear this tournament up. He's such an elusive player.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Cheli

The Canada/Sweden game (and the other Canada preliminary games) can be watched in TSN's video player here: http://watch.tsn.ca/world-jr-champio...ada-vs-sweden/

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, generic holiday well-wishes.

Old
12-24-2011, 09:38 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
The Canada/Sweden game (and the other Canada preliminary games) can be watched in TSN's video player here: http://watch.tsn.ca/world-jr-champio...ada-vs-sweden/

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, generic holiday well-wishes.
Thanks, and same to you...BTW beautiful goal by Schwartz on the breakaway! Whoo!!

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:31 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Schwartz with a couple of assists (on the 2d and 5th goals) in the laugher over Finland. Seemed like he might've been hurt during the second because I'm pretty sure he went absent on a few shifts before returning in time to get the assist on Hamilton's PP blast.

Hakanpaa is definitely someone to keep an eye on. He seemed to be matched up with Schwartz nearly every shift both games and since Schwartz plays LW and he plays RD they contested pucks frequently. Come to think of it there was a big hit Hakanpaa put on Schwartz in the corner once and now I'm trying to recall if that was in the 2d period (obviously, Schwartz finished the game).

Hakanpaa is huge out there. I don't think it's fair to call him awkward because he has some Erik Johnson-frame athleticism when he's moving, but he definitely needs to work more on his skating. He's very physical, more physical than Johnson but obviously nowhere near the offensive game Johnson displayed at that age. That said, he has a booming slapper and looks like has room for growth in his game. Again, an intriguing prospect and is making positive gains. I'd be curious to find out what Blues management thinks of his post-draft development.

Smith-Pelley went to get X-rays after the game, wonder if he's out whether Rattie would get a call. Rattie should be able to replace DSP's heavy hitting no problem.

Edit/update: Looks like a fracture for DSP, per McKenzie.

Last edited by PocketNines: 12-26-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 06:22 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

My eyes caught Hakanpaa quite a few times as well. You can tell he has a high skating potential with that frame. Wasn't extremely impressed with his defensive game, but he was VERY poised with the puck on the rush and especially on the power play.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Hakanpaa looks like a good prospect, but he does need work. I noticed a few times where he struggled with the puck in his own zone. Otherwise he looked pretty solid against the powerhouse of Canada, despite the blowout.

Schwartz played well but he didn't get as much ice as I thought he would. I don't know if they're resting him or just prefer other guys but I figured with his skill, seniority and captaincy he would get alot of ice. He seemed to make some good defense plays besides his offensive help which is also good to see.

Quote:
Smith-Pelley went to get X-rays after the game, wonder if he's out whether Rattie would get a call. Rattie should be able to replace DSP's heavy hitting no problem.

Edit/update: Looks like a fracture for DSP, per McKenzie.
Even if you're serious I recalled them saying during the game that IIHF rules don't allow callups/replacements for any injured player except a goalie.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:20 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

DSP will not be back for the rest of the WJC, but Rattie could not be "called up" as per IIHF rules

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Mirinho

Dmitrij Jaskin with very good performance against Danemark (1+1)

his goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDCC...layer_embedded

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Blues0307

I haven't been able to watch any of the WJC's. Now that Finland has played Canada, wow has Hakanpaa looked so far? Based on watching him, any thoughts on his ceiling?

Same with Jaskin, how does he look? Impressed with his skill set or meh?

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
diehardbluesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I haven't been able to watch any of the WJC's. Now that Finland has played Canada, wow has Hakanpaa looked so far? Based on watching him, any thoughts on his ceiling?

Same with Jaskin, how does he look? Impressed with his skill set or meh?
Corey Pronman tweeted earlier today that he liked Hakanpaa in the first period in the game today, I haven't been able to watch the WJC's though.

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan View Post
Corey Pronman tweeted earlier today that he liked Hakanpaa in the first period in the game today, I haven't been able to watch the WJC's though.
Pronman also wrote this about Jaskin

Quote:
Blues second round pick last summer Dmitrij Jaskin has not performed well at all in the top Czech mens league this year, with simply 1 point in 19 games, whereas he had 10 points in 33 games last year. However from watching him tonight, I couldn’t see what the problem is. He displayed good offensive skills with the puck, made some smart plays, was effective in the physical game, and worked hard at both ends. His skating is still fringe, but it was just as bad last year.
About what we expected, but it seems to stress the importance of getting him out of the Czech league. Aside from being a pretty meh league, teams do a ****** job of getting ice time for their youngsters.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:51 AM
h22prelude93

Great point about the Czech League not giving it's younger players much playing time. I read that before somewhere as well. The important part is this kid is only 18 years old and can hang with the best of them in his draft class. Personally, I'd like to see him start his North American development next season by playing with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League. That way he can improve his skating, and build his confidence before he comes to St.Louis(or Peoria) in a few years. He also has the option of playing in the KHL for Tarasenko's team(Sibir) who drafted him 1st overall. I have a feeling this kid really could end being a second round steal for the Blues, but with Euro players especially, development is key.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:59 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking Schwartz may not be ready after all. He should be on the scoring sheet more as highly as he's been touted. I'm not sure he will be able to handle the physical grind of the big leagues, at least where he's at right now. I saw him pulling up in the zone quite a bit to stay out of the corners. That being said...If he CAN manage to take his Patrick Kane like vision and agility to the NHL, hopefully he will produce if put with the right players. He may just not be in the right role on that Canadian team to truly be able to shine.

Edit: Put him on a line with Tarasenko and Berglund and let him pass to another offensive threat.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:43 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Yeah, obviously Jaskin hasn't stopped being the guy the Blues hoped he'd be, which is good to see. He really does need to get out of the Czech league, obviously. His skating appears to be the issue. Perhaps the Blues can sign him to an ELC this spring and get him over to Peoria. KHL is better than Czech league and he'd likely get significantly more playing time on a bad Sibir team (especially when they lose Tarasenko!).

Speaking of Sibir, Lehtera took the same kind of hit on Sunday that Perron did and is concussed indefinitely, by the way. There's video in the stickied prospects thread. Former crap selection of the Blues did it to him.

I think Schwartz will put in a diligent offseason of work and put on some more muscle. One game off the scoresheet is not evidence he's not ready to turn pro. As for Schwartz not being physical in the corners enough, this is why I don't want to see a line with him, McDonald and Stewart. Who is going to win the puck battles for that line to have possession in the first place?

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Steen-McDonald-Stewart
Reaves-Sobotka-D'Agostini

Last edited by PocketNines: 12-29-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old
12-29-2011, 03:32 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Yeah, obviously Jaskin hasn't stopped being the guy the Blues hoped he'd be, which is good to see. He really does need to get out of the Czech league, obviously. His skating appears to be the issue. Perhaps the Blues can sign him to an ELC this spring and get him over to Peoria. KHL is better than Czech league and he'd likely get significantly more playing time on a bad Sibir team (especially when they lose Tarasenko!).

Speaking of Sibir, Lehtera took the same kind of hit on Sunday that Perron did and is concussed indefinitely, by the way. There's video in the stickied prospects thread. Former crap selection of the Blues did it to him.

I think Schwartz will put in a diligent offseason of work and put on some more muscle. One game off the scoresheet is not evidence he's not ready to turn pro. As for Schwartz not being physical in the corners enough, this is why I don't want to see a line with him, McDonald and Stewart. Who is going to win the puck battles for that line to have possession in the first place?

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Steen-McDonald-Stewart
Reaves-Sobotka-D'Agostini
Not to draw this off track, but that hit was very dissimilar from the hit on Perron.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:44 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Not to draw this off track, but that hit was very dissimilar from the hit on Perron.
It was a blindside headshot, no?