HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Prospect in the World Juniors

Old
12-29-2011, 11:13 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Brief mention in the Hockey News preview story on the World Juniors was very negative on Jaskin's season so far.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Cheli

I still liked Schwartz's game, especially on the PK, despite being pointless. Wasn't a big fan of the penalty call on him because it looked like he was just going to the net to me. I felt like Gallagher fanned on a bunch of chances which would have led to assists for Schwartz. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, sorry if that's how it's coming across, I just don't think it was a bad game from him by any means.

Here is the link to the game for anyone who didn't see it: http://watch.tsn.ca/world-jr-champio...ic/#clip592001

Hakanpaa picked up an assist in Finland's 4-1 win over the US.

Video of the Finland-US game: http://watch.tsn.ca/world-jr-champio...sa-vs-finland/

BTW, earlier in the thread I said I'd get a timestamp for Schwartz's great PK shift against the Swedes in pre-tourney which I forgot to do.
Video: http://watch.tsn.ca/world-jr-champio...en/#clip591219
Timestamp: 9:40

Canada takes on Denmark tonight.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:39 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking Schwartz may not be ready after all. He should be on the scoring sheet more as highly as he's been touted. I'm not sure he will be able to handle the physical grind of the big leagues, at least where he's at right now. I saw him pulling up in the zone quite a bit to stay out of the corners. That being said...If he CAN manage to take his Patrick Kane like vision and agility to the NHL, hopefully he will produce if put with the right players. He may just not be in the right role on that Canadian team to truly be able to shine.

Edit: Put him on a line with Tarasenko and Berglund and let him pass to another offensive threat.
I kind of agree, I was really excited that Schwartz got the 'C' and was expecting him to have a big WJ, but IMO, he hasn't really done as well as I thought he would. Maybe I was just expecting too much out of him. We'll see how he does once the tournament starts getting serious.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

I feel like he isn't getting a whole lot of ice but I can't really confirm that. I also feel he could have better linemates. I don't know much about all the players but it seems that he would have more chemistry with other players. He is a very creative player, and it shows.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:44 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Schwartz has been playing with Jenner and Gallagher, mostly in a shut-down role with 3rd line ES minutes. He's also seen quite a bit of PK time and some PP time, but not a ton. Jenner and Gallagher are high energy players with some skill, but their hockey sense and possession game abilities are definitely a step below Jaden's and some of the other elite on Canada's roster. Put him on one of the top two (i.e. scoring) lines and the scoresheet would look much different.

I've watched him a few games now, and he looks very good. Solid positionally, great puck skills and vision, very good passing and decision making in general, and a very cool demeanor with the puck (even in heavy traffic). He plays a smart pro-style game very much like what the Blues favor...penetrating the middle in the offensive zone when it's there (not forcing it), and getting the puck to the point when it's not. In the defensive zone it's more of the same...taking what's given, and making the smart play when it's not. Plenty of creativity and situational awareness, no bad turnovers.

It's a more mature game than what some of the flashier prospects are showing, and I think it's one that will benefit him greatly as he transitions to the pro ranks. I think he could step in right away and put up points in the NHL without any AHL seasoning simply because his vision/puck skills/passing are all so good, but it'll take him some time to grow into his full potential defensively and with regards to his shot/goal scoring. I don't think it will take him long at all to adjust to the speed of the NHL. I'm very excited about what this kid is going to bring to the Blues.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
STL fan in IA

I've only watched parts of Canada's games so far but from what I've seen, Jaden isn't getting as much icetime as I thought he would. CAN had a long-term 5 on 3 against the Czechs and I don't think Jaden was out there for any of it whereas last year, in his brief time in the WJC, he was used as the 1st string PP QB. He's seems to have been given a much more defensive role this year and while he's doing the job well, I think he's capable of a lot more. He was on Canada's 1st line last year and put of 3 pts in 1 game and 5 minutes but this year he seems to be getting a lot less quality icetime. Oh well. It doesn't lessen the quality of player he is. It just seems he likely won't "break out" onto the national scene as much as I thought he would but that's ok. I'll be interested to see how he's used and how he plays against the US tomorrow night though.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Schwartz has been playing with Jenner and Gallagher, mostly in a shut-down role with 3rd line ES minutes. He's also seen quite a bit of PK time and some PP time, but not a ton. Jenner and Gallagher are high energy players with some skill, but their hockey sense and possession game abilities are definitely a step below Jaden's and some of the other elite on Canada's roster. Put him on one of the top two (i.e. scoring) lines and the scoresheet would look much different.

I've watched him a few games now, and he looks very good. Solid positionally, great puck skills and vision, very good passing and decision making in general, and a very cool demeanor with the puck (even in heavy traffic). He plays a smart pro-style game very much like what the Blues favor...penetrating the middle in the offensive zone when it's there (not forcing it), and getting the puck to the point when it's not. In the defensive zone it's more of the same...taking what's given, and making the smart play when it's not. Plenty of creativity and situational awareness, no bad turnovers.

It's a more mature game than what some of the flashier prospects are showing, and I think it's one that will benefit him greatly as he transitions to the pro ranks. I think he could step in right away and put up points in the NHL without any AHL seasoning simply because his vision/puck skills/passing are all so good, but it'll take him some time to grow into his full potential defensively and with regards to his shot/goal scoring. I don't think it will take him long at all to adjust to the speed of the NHL. I'm very excited about what this kid is going to bring to the Blues.
Great post. I'm a bit sad that the IIHF doesn't officially record ice time for this tournament. Seems like Canadian lines have been juggled a lot, I personally liked Schwartz with Stone and Hamilton as I felt they had good chemistry and were producing a lot of offensive chances. I missed most of the Denmark game and haven't watched it yet though.

Old
12-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Great post. I'm a bit sad that the IIHF doesn't officially record ice time for this tournament. Seems like Canadian lines have been juggled a lot, I personally liked Schwartz with Stone and Hamilton as I felt they had good chemistry and were producing a lot of offensive chances. I missed most of the Denmark game and haven't
watched it yet though.
I wanted to see Jaden on a line with Huberdeau and Stone, they are by far the most offensively gifted forwards team Canada has, so putting them on the same line would be amazing, Gallager is good, but he has more defensive roles and tendencies

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Jaskin is big and physical but he has miles to go in the skating department. Major project. If he could get that fixed he couldbe something.

An aside, looks like the Red Wings have a gigantic dbag in their goalie pipeline. If he brings that **** anywhere near the NHL it's going to get him run a lot, deservedly.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Jaskin is big and physical but he has miles to go in the skating department. Major project. If he could get that fixed he couldbe something.

An aside, looks like the Red Wings have a gigantic dbag in their goalie pipeline. If he brings that **** anywhere near the NHL it's going to get him run a lot, deservedly.
He might be, but he was d*** impressive.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:

With the saves he has made not only during that game, he has the right to showboat, it's also kind of nice to see a goalie with real life and enthusiasm in his play, I have him as goalie of the juniors

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

No doubt he had a good game but in hockey if you don't respect your opponent you get your ass kicked as you should.

Old
12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
No doubt he had a good game but in hockey if you don't respect your opponent you get your ass kicked as you should.
And I agree with you as well.

Old
12-31-2011, 01:10 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Agreed but the part I shook my head at the most is how Mrazek was the Canadian fans darling for showboating against the US yesterday but was booed mercilessly the night before when he did the same antics against Canada. Do it against Canada and you're scum. Do it against the US and you're a hero.

Old
12-31-2011, 03:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Agreed but the part I shook my head at the most is how Mrazek was the Canadian fans darling for showboating against the US yesterday but was booed mercilessly the night before when he did the same antics against Canada. Do it against Canada and you're scum. Do it against the US and you're a hero.
Yeah, displaying the same traits you feel entitled to boo the US for having doesn't really speak well about how you would behave if fate had made you the geopolitical power and the US the wingman.

Think Canada is doing themselves a disservice because like a lot of American fans we love seeing Canada win when we can't. But that is changing right quick and it's because of how the Canadian fans are handling themselves. In the past, the US have been poor winners in other sports a ton and I hate that quality. Canada will always be the heart of hockey and I wish it didn't feel so threatened about it.

Old
12-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Blues0307

I've been looking for an explanation as to why Canada's coach is playing Schwartz in a 3rd line defensive role but haven't found one. Is it just that he's a superior defensive player compared to the other skill forwards this year? He's one of, if not, the most talented player on the team this year.

Old
12-31-2011, 04:59 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I've been looking for an explanation as to why Canada's coach is playing Schwartz in a 3rd line defensive role but haven't found one. Is it just that he's a superior defensive player compared to the other skill forwards this year? He's one of, if not, the most talented player on the team this year.
Could be almost anything, honestly. He was playing with Stone early on and they were regularly finding the scoresheet together, but Huberdeau and Howden weren't really producing much at all. They put Stone with Huberdeau and Strome to try and get that pair going (which has obviously worked), and Howden with Hamilton/Connelly trying to get him going (and that line has played well), which leaves Schwartz with Jenner and Gallagher. He's not a bad fit there, honestly, since he's more than defensively responsible enough to fill that role and he brings some much needed creativity/puck possession to that line. The other two lines are now playing really well, so there doesn't seem to be much reason to switch things up.

I wouldn't read too much into where he's playing, or how much ice time he's getting, or even how much he's finding the scoresheet. He's their captain, and has been consistently one of their better players throughout the entirety of the tournament.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:57 PM
STL fan in IA

Schwartz scored Canada's 2nd goal tonight against the US. Nice snipe from in tight. Canada wins 3-2.

Old
01-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Schwartz scored Canada's 2nd goal tonight against the US. Nice snipe from in tight. Canada wins 3-2.
Schwartz and Stone work well together, they created a number of good offensive chances besides that goal. He had a turnover I didn't like though, Strome took a dumb reactionary penalty to the US player skating away with the puck.

BTW, as a Canadian, I thought the Mrazek fist-pump was fine (I might have somewhat giggled like a little girl). I haven't had time to watch through all the games but it sounds like some of the stuff he did against the US might have been over the top. IIRC from the Canada/Czech GDT though, most of the Canadian posters thought his behaviour in that game was fine. I guess what I'm saying is that the crowds in Alberta shouldn't be taken as representative of our entire country.

Old
01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
BTW, as a Canadian, I thought the Mrazek fist-pump was fine (I might have somewhat giggled like a little girl). I haven't had time to watch through all the games but it sounds like some of the stuff he did against the US might have been over the top. IIRC from the Canada/Czech GDT though, most of the Canadian posters thought his behaviour in that game was fine. I guess what I'm saying is that the crowds in Alberta shouldn't be taken as representative of our entire country.
He was doing way more than fist pumping. He was over and over leaping into the glass, dancing, chest shimmies, etc. I cannot recall in my lifetime ever seeing any hockey player do what he did, in any situation, ever. No exaggeration. It was a nonstop gloating dance parade.

Most of the Canadian posters thought it was fine because they enjoyed rubbing it in on the Americans. The fact that the aggressive showboating elicited giggles at the US' expense is the flip side of the same coin that says if you're on the receiving end of that kind of crap, an absolute crippling beatdown is deserved and probably mandated, and more than a few US fans would "giggle like a little girl" to see it. Canadian fans disagree? Close your eyes and imagine a US goalie having a good game and doing that to Canadians. Anyway, rooting for Schwartz but certainly Canada to lose forevermore in the WJCs.

Old
01-01-2012, 04:21 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Schwartz and Stone work well together, they created a number of good offensive chances besides that goal. He had a turnover I didn't like though, Strome took a dumb reactionary penalty to the US player skating away with the puck.

The turnover didn't bother me much. He made a sharp turn and lost his edge, losing the puck in the process. It happens sometimes and it doesn't really bother me since he lost an edge as opposed to losing the puck due to a poor decision. That and the turnover was in the offensive end, which if you're going to turn it over, that's the place to do it. Strome's trip afterward just made the play overall more noticeable as it led to a penalty.

Schwartz has looked fine in the times I've watched him play in this tourney. To me, he's a player who isn't going to beat you with overpowering skill and he's definitely much more a playmaker than a scorer so he needs other quality players to fully utilize his talents but to me, he seems to play a more pro game and his elite hockey sense will really shine in the pros more than it does here IMO. Petro was like that - he looked even better with pros who could think the game close to his level whereas his talents were wasted in the Jr game a lot of the time. I see that all the time with Schwartz at CC. Schwartz will handle the puck, make a bunch of moves with 2-3 guys on him, spin and loft a perfect saucer pass to a wide open teammate only for the teammate to miss the pass for a glorious scoring opportunity because they weren't expecting it. Put Schwartz with the right players, and he will shine.

Old
01-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Anyway, rooting for Schwartz but certainly Canada to lose forevermore in the WJCs.
As you should have been.. I'm blown away by all of the American fans saying stuff like this, being surprised that we would boo the Americans.

The USA and Canada are rivals. Always have been, in mostly everything we've ever done. And generally, the States are better then us in most things. Soccer, we suck at, I know you guys have at least a decent team. Football, don't even mention it. Our Basketball and Olympic programs aren't as far behind as the formers, but still you guys edge us out. Hockey is the one thing we have, hands down, that we are the best at(in terms of development and participation). The WJCs are HUGE here. It's something that people who don't even watch hockey for the most part, will sit around and watch.

I have never hoped for USA to win, MAYBE against the Russians. It's nothing personal against the citizens or the players.

Too me, it would be like if the Blues got eliminated in the playoffs, and I cheered for Detroit.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Cheli

Quote:
He was doing way more than fist pumping. He was over and over leaping into the glass, dancing, chest shimmies, etc. I cannot recall in my lifetime ever seeing any hockey player do what he did, in any situation, ever. No exaggeration. It was a nonstop gloating dance parade.

Most of the Canadian posters thought it was fine because they enjoyed rubbing it in on the Americans. The fact that the aggressive showboating elicited giggles at the US' expense is the flip side of the same coin that says if you're on the receiving end of that kind of crap, an absolute crippling beatdown is deserved and probably mandated, and more than a few US fans would "giggle like a little girl" to see it. Canadian fans disagree? Close your eyes and imagine a US goalie having a good game and doing that to Canadians. Anyway, rooting for Schwartz but certainly Canada to lose forevermore in the WJCs.
I thought it was clear from my post but I didn't see the Czech/US game... I was saying I was fine with Mrazek's fist-pump in the Canada/Czech game, as were most of the Canadian posters in the Canada/Czech GDT. Too much anger here, I'm going back to my igloo

Old
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
I thought it was clear from my post but I didn't see the Czech/US game... I was saying I was fine with Mrazek's fist-pump in the Canada/Czech game, as were most of the Canadian posters in the Canada/Czech GDT. Too much anger here, I'm going back to my igloo
It's okay. Angers are high, because most Americans are extremely disappointed in how we performed. I agree. Fist pumps are completely okay by goalies. I don't get the NHL Network, so I haven't seen any of the games, unfortunately, but if he was showboating overly much against the US, then I can understand the frustration, particularly because it was the elimination game, so to speak. Anyways, tell all the polar bears that visit your igloo that I say hello.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
As you should have been.. I'm blown away by all of the American fans saying stuff like this, being surprised that we would boo the Americans.

The USA and Canada are rivals. Always have been, in mostly everything we've ever done. And generally, the States are better then us in most things. Soccer, we suck at, I know you guys have at least a decent team. Football, don't even mention it. Our Basketball and Olympic programs aren't as far behind as the formers, but still you guys edge us out. Hockey is the one thing we have, hands down, that we are the best at(in terms of development and participation). The WJCs are HUGE here. It's something that people who don't even watch hockey for the most part, will sit around and watch.

I have never hoped for USA to win, MAYBE against the Russians. It's nothing personal against the citizens or the players.

Too me, it would be like if the Blues got eliminated in the playoffs, and I cheered for Detroit.
I understand the feeling. If the Cards are out it is not like I'm going to start rooting for the Cubs. I think the fan dynamic across the major sports in the Buffalo--Toronto corridor is fun to observe. For whom to cheer?

It's kind of cool, though, to have Blues fans who live abroad or in other parts of the continent.

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote