HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ryan Miller practiced today, insinuates he might've not had concussion

Old
11-28-2011, 02:06 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

vCash: 500
Not surprised at all.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Who cares honestly, the concussion was never a factor anyway as it wasn't a hit to the head. Miller would hardly be the first player to exaggerate in order to draw attention to a situation, and he won't be the last. Looch makes a good villain, nothing will change that. People will love to hate him. That's one of the great things about the guy.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

The concussion had no effect on how I felt about the hit. Lucic extended his arms unnecessarily through the hit. That was my problem. But this whole thing is just ****in weird now.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Misreading. Usually a team does NOT say injury status in public. Nowhere does that say "Miller revealed he had lied". No, it says "Miller disclosed the nature of his injury
". They believed he was concussed, they said he was concussed. There's no trickery there. I can understand the wording making it appear that way, but there wasn't any. Case in point=Reimer had an 'upper body injury'. C'mon. All the article says is that they revealed he was diagnosed with a concussion to show the hit was as bad as it looked(from their POV).
Lol no the point of my comment was I don't get why they'd bother admitting why they announced the concussion when no one even asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Oh look, another one turns in to a Bruins thread. I am wondering what are the rest of the people doing wrong.
This actually has to do with the Bruins though.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Never said he had a concussion, just concussion-like symptoms. There's the potential loophole

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Clock

So the idea here is to vilify Miller on the basis that he only sustained a neck injury instead of having a concussion. OK.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:19 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

wow... this is just awkward.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Never said he had a concussion, just concussion-like symptoms. There's the potential loophole
That's the thing. If he's unsure of his state, then the miscommunication should be expected.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
Lol no the point of my comment was I don't get why they'd bother admitting why they announced the concussion when no one even asked.
I don't know if you're joking or not.

"Our player was run by a player of the other team. Our player has now been diagnosed with a concussion. We're only telling you this because we really dislike the hit and feel it should be a suspendable hit. We aren't lying, we're just leaking out what's usually team protected information, such as the Reimer situation."

It's not that complicated. No one in buffalo organization is admitting to lying or anything of that nature. People are misreading. They said Miller had a concussion because they wanted Lucic to get suspended, yes, that may be seen as "they said...to get lucic suspended" but it's a "they said...what they believed was the truth...to provide evidence to get Miller suspended.

No organization would admit to lying or trying to trick the NHL. It's just stupid, clearly because x player feels better than originally thought, the original diagnosis is a lie. Same as pacioretty. "what, concussed and he's tweeting???? embellishment. Max lay on the ice pretending to be injured too!"

The real story here is misdiagnosis, not any admitting of lying like people are claiming. Not saying you, but it's a stretch to think an organization would ever admit that.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
So the idea here is to vilify Miller on the basis that he only sustained a neck injury instead of having a concussion. OK.
Pretty much.

Big fan of people reading the team disclosing injuries to push for punitive action as the team making up injuries to get someone in trouble.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:26 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
No, they said he had a concussion and was going to miss significant time. I posted a link on pg 1.

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Not that missing seven consecutive games (so far) isn't a fair chunk of the season. The dude is hurt.

11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Eh, missing a 10th of the season so far to "sell" this too. Really.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Pretty much.

Big fan of people reading the team disclosing injuries to push for punitive action as the team making up injuries to get someone in trouble.
An injury wasn't made up.

Mountains from molehills.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plemur View Post
Lying in order to cause financial harm to another player as retribution...sounds like a suspendable offense.

There aren't enough rolling eyes out there for this post.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Concussion sounded better before Lucic's hearing...

So now not only do they have to be pressured to man up, they have to exaggerate some...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Concussion sounded better before Lucic's hearing...

So now not only do they have to be pressured to man up, they have to exaggerate some...
Or...more likely they THOUGHT it was a concussion, only later to realize it wasn't.

It took the Sabres medical staff a YEAR to figure out that Connolly's symptoms were from his neck, not a concussion. You really think them taking a few extra days to figure out the same for Miller is absurd? Frankly, I'm shocked they got it right as soon as they did.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Or...more likely they THOUGHT it was a concussion, only later to realize it wasn't.

It took the Sabres medical staff a YEAR to figure out that Connolly's symptoms were from his neck, not a concussion. You really think them taking a few extra days to figure out the same for Miller is absurd? Frankly, I'm shocked they got it right as soon as they did.
is this the head of the sabres medical staff?

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Oh look, another one turns in to a Bruins thread. I am wondering what are the rest of the people doing wrong.
I don't debate the fact that it's another B's thread, it gets a bit tiresome given that most end up opportunities for B's to be slagged off as bullies or the darlings of the league.

However, the fact that a Leafs fan is complaining about number of threads about a given team is amusing.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:44 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

Considering it looked like whiplash from the get go it shouldn't have been all that difficult, especially since he stayed in the game and all...Send him to a chiropractor and he woulda been out there in 3 days.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:46 PM
TimmytheTank

vCash: 350
Meh, this needs to die. Who cares who said what or why? The league looked at it and determined (correctly in my opinion) that Lucic was properly assessed a penalty on the ice for the body check (a non head shot hit on a player who is ineligible to be hit = 2 min). He wasn't suspended. Suspensions aren't given out based upon the injury associated with an action, they are given out based on the illegality of the actions.

If this weren't the case, and Lucic had been suspended, and the league DID punish based on the injury incurred, then maybe this would matter. Maybe.

As it stands who cares whether Miller and team doctors thought he had been concussed? It had no impact on the league actions against Lucic, the only place where it actually matters is in the court of public opinion (HFboards). Get over it.

TimmytheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Considering it looked like whiplash from the get go it shouldn't have been all that difficult, especially since he stayed in the game and all...Send him to a chiropractor and he woulda been out there in 3 days.
I really don't think you're understanding how incompetent the Sabres medical staff has been in the past. Plus, they need to CYA and run him through all the concussion tests too. In the end, maybe if they were on the ball it would have been a short thing...but these guys are never on it. The number of times they put guys in too early, only to have a setback, or not diagnose something immediately (McCormick is out with what we suspect might be a concussion, likely from a blow he took in his epic fight with Glass, but played two more games before they pulled him out of the lineup...)...I literally have no faith in that medical staff. It's no wonder why the Sabres have had so many injuries over the past several years.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Ryan Millers concussion is CLEARLY overrated by a lot. However, his neck injury is underrated, by a smidgen.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh, missing a 10th of the season so far to "sell" this too. Really.
I don't really care one way or the other whether it was a concussion or a neck strain. It's a non issue.

However, let's not act like Miller was on top of his game and that somehow missing 7 games is a major factor. Miller was stinking up the joint prior to the B's game, and Enroth was taking most of starts prior to it.

Before B's game -- Miller was 5-5 with a 2.74 GAA and a save percentage of .913. He'd played something like 70 minutes out of previous five games.

Enroth on the other hand was 5-0 with a 1.34 GAA and a save percentage of .956. He'd played 238 minutes of previous 5 games.

Miller wasn't going to play anyway because he was playing poorly and Enroth was the hot hand. Of course now Enroth has cooled off, I would imagine there is more pressure for Miller to get back to form.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Wasn't it the Boston doctors that diagnosed him?

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote