HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ryan Miller practiced today, insinuates he might've not had concussion

Old
11-28-2011, 02:57 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

vCash: 500
The real people at fault here are those that kept repeating that miller had a concussion when originally the information was: out with a neck injury, possible concussion

And Lucic didn't, and rightfully so, get suspended. Just let it go.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
norwoodmustang

Send a message via AIM to norwoodmustang Send a message via MSN to norwoodmustang Send a message via Yahoo to norwoodmustang
They obviously wanted a suspension for the hit, but I don't think they lied. Better safe than sorry with your goalie.

I do think the concussion/neck strain was more likely caused by his own defenseman pushing Seguin into him and not the hit by Lucic, which nobody in the Sabres organization mentioned in all the talking about the injury.

norwoodmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
nitric
German Engineering

It is a very positive thing that Miller does not have a concussion and is practicing again.

The issue is not that he was diagnosed with a concussion and later was deemed to not have one. Concussions are tricky and there is no way to tell how a person will react, etc.

I personally, think the issue is only that it was annouced the day after the incident that Miller was concussed and was going to miss significant time. I think it was much to premature to annoucence this, as there is no way of knowing whether or not he was a) going to actually miss significant time, and b) what significant time actually means. It sounds serious, but doesn't give any time frame. Is significant to mean he would miss 4-5 months with his concussion? Or 1-2 weeks?

That just lets imaginations run wild with all the ways that Miller is hurt, as we saw judging by the 4,000+ angry raging posts, and multiple threads on the topic on this site alone.

It just seems that the Sabres organization was very eager to announce that he was concussed and to miss a lot of time, when they might not have known that as a definitive fact. That is all.

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I don't really care one way or the other whether it was a concussion or a neck strain. It's a non issue.

However, let's not act like Miller was on top of his game and that somehow missing 7 games is a major factor. Miller was stinking up the joint prior to the B's game, and Enroth was taking most of starts prior to it.

Before B's game -- Miller was 5-5 with a 2.74 GAA and a save percentage of .913. He'd played something like 70 minutes out of previous five games.

Enroth on the other hand was 5-0 with a 1.34 GAA and a save percentage of .956. He'd played 238 minutes of previous 5 games.

Miller wasn't going to play anyway because he was playing poorly and Enroth was the hot hand. Of course now Enroth has cooled off, I would imagine there is more pressure for Miller to get back to form.
Not likely. Miller would have had four or five of those starts and Enroth two or three. Enroth, as the starter, has been victimized by the same sort of ridiculously lackluster defensive play Miller has gotten --- bad coverage breakdowns, turnovers in dangerous areas, and all that. He's also got a lot of puck going through him. Miller's missed significant time due to being hurt in the collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I really don't think you're understanding how incompetent the Sabres medical staff has been in the past. Plus, they need to CYA and run him through all the concussion tests too. In the end, maybe if they were on the ball it would have been a short thing...but these guys are never on it. The number of times they put guys in too early, only to have a setback, or not diagnose something immediately (McCormick is out with what we suspect might be a concussion, likely from a blow he took in his epic fight with Glass, but played two more games before they pulled him out of the lineup...)...I literally have no faith in that medical staff. It's no wonder why the Sabres have had so many injuries over the past several years.
Wasn't Connolly actually a TMJ-type issue? A mis-aligned jaw that caused him issues with headaches and such? There have been so many Timmy injuries, they just sort of blur together....

It is one area Pegula should look at upgrading -- get some better diagnostic people in there.

11-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Cam Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not that missing seven consecutive games (so far) isn't a fair chunk of the season. The dude is hurt.
the only thing hurt was his pride.

it was a good time for him to sit while they rode the enroth train, and gave miller time to screw his head on straight (no pun intended).

he needed a mental break, and he got it. the timing couldnt have been better.

Cam Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Oh look, another one turns in to a Bruins thread. I am wondering what are the rest of the people doing wrong.
Perhaps not winning stanley cups

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Neely View Post
the only thing hurt was his pride.

it was a good time for him to sit while they rode the enroth train, and gave miller time to screw his head on straight (no pun intended).

he needed a mental break, and he got it. the timing couldnt have been better.
I am not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch. Nor am I a Boston fan. Nor am I a Sabres hater. Nor am I a Miller hater.

And I agree with this guy. When he got hit by Lucic my immediate thought was "wow what a dive". He got smoked for sure, but then he gets up and takes a swing at Lucic with his stick, misses, and then decides "oh I better go down and act hurt" and down he goes - motionless on the ice like he was knocked out of consciousness.

Then sure enough, he stays the rest of the game so he can speak to the media of his views on Lucic and what a POS he is. THEN the Sabres come forward and say he has a concussion. Then, after sitting a few games (maybe he was a LITTLE hurt) so that Enroth could get some games after heavily outperforming Miller this year, he comes out and says "oh yeh...might not have a concussion...possible wrong diagnosis"...

Is it possible? Sure.

But is it more likely that he exaggerated the injury in an effort to get Lucic suspended? Definitely in my view.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
I am not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch. Nor am I a Boston fan. Nor am I a Sabres hater. Nor am I a Miller hater.

And I agree with this guy. When he got hit by Lucic my immediate thought was "wow what a dive". He got smoked for sure, but then he gets up and takes a swing at Lucic with his stick, misses, and then decides "oh I better go down and act hurt" and down he goes - motionless on the ice like he was knocked out of consciousness.

Then sure enough, he stays the rest of the game so he can speak to the media of his views on Lucic and what a POS he is. THEN the Sabres come forward and say he has a concussion. Then, after sitting a few games (maybe he was a LITTLE hurt) so that Enroth could get some games after heavily outperforming Miller this year, he comes out and says "oh yeh...might not have a concussion...possible wrong diagnosis"...

Is it possible? Sure.

But is it more likely that he exaggerated the injury in an effort to get Lucic suspended? Definitely in my view.
Good to hear an unbias perspective. I for one totally agree with your assesment. Miller's rant after the 'concussed game' surely knocked his status down a few pegs.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not likely. Miller would have had four or five of those starts and Enroth two or three. Enroth, as the starter, has been victimized by the same sort of ridiculously lackluster defensive play Miller has gotten --- bad coverage breakdowns, turnovers in dangerous areas, and all that. He's also got a lot of puck going through him. Miller's missed significant time due to being hurt in the collision.
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not saying that Miller was not hurt and that this was some sort of fake job.

I was just saying that Enroth was clearly the better goalie through that point of the year and getting the majority of starts just prior to that. Think he was 5 of 7 starts immediately prior and a 1.20 GAA and .962 save percentage over that time.

Miller on the other hand was playing poorly. His five starts prior to getting injured were 3.0 GAA and and .893 save percentage.

Miller wasn't playing much and rightly so -- and unless he markedly improved his game things were going to stay that way. And if he was going to continue on that trend, his missing some time wasn't biggest deal in universe. Add to that the fact that Buffalo's Dman drove Seguin into Miller pretty hard as well, I think the whole Lucic thing and it's impact on Miller being out was blown way out of proportion.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Johnnyduke

Too funny. I have no idea if Miller ever admitted to having a concussion, but Lindy Ruff sure did.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
dan213

This is still an issue?

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
This is still an issue?
Apparently. I wish it'd just go away. It was a bush-league move by the Sabres, & Miller is now in Luongo territory.. Not a good place to be in.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
plemur
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
Too funny. I have no idea if Miller ever admitted to having a concussion, but Lindy Ruff sure did.
Regier definitively said that Miller had a concussion. Not only in the injury report, but also in interviews.

plemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

You mean a player who was presumed to be concussed milked his injury to try and get the offending player suspended and was fine?

Never heard of such a thing.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Hopefully Miller comes back soon... He is a pretty classy guy, ya his comments were off colour for sure... However he was pretty pissed and obviously emmotional.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
You mean a player who was presumed to be concussed milked his injury to try and get the offending player suspended and was fine?

Never heard of such a thing.
So it should just be allowed?

Old
11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
So it should just be allowed?
It was allowed in the SCF. Why not now?

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
What was allowed in the SCF?

Old
11-28-2011, 05:05 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Quote:
Yes, Keeping our 1st line winger out in a ploy to get a scrub defenseman on the other team suspended was an excellent winning strategy.

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Miller still hasn't played since the hit, what this thread is trying to insinuate is patently ridiculous. Additionally, disc injuries have the same symptoms as concussions.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM
nmbr_24

I don't think this is that big of a deal. He probably had concussion like symptoms and they were being careful with him.

They admitted they were trying to get Lucic suspended, we knew that already.

I hope he recovers fully by the next time the Sabres play the Bruins and that Lucic scores a hat trick on him.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Miller still hasn't played since the hit, what this thread is trying to insinuate is patently ridiculous. Additionally, disc injuries have the same symptoms as concussions.
What is the thread trying to insinuate?

Old
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I don't think this is that big of a deal. He probably had concussion like symptoms and they were being careful with him.

They admitted they were trying to get Lucic suspended, we knew that already.

I hope he recovers fully by the next time the Sabres play the Bruins and that Lucic scores a hat trick on him.
I just have a problem with any team exaggerating injuries to try to get someone suspended. I know it happens, but I don't like it.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:40 PM
walrus

Quote:
What is the thread trying to insinuate?
That he and the Sabres faked an injury in a bid to get Lucic suspended. At least, that's what I'm seeing after reading posts written by quite a few derps.

walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Horton couldn't even play Lucic's charity softball game months after the SCF but he was faking just to make sure some chump bottom pair D would get suspended? Horton wasn't faking, get outta here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
The thread is insinuating that Miller doesn't have a concussion so now people can stop saying that Lucic *concussed* Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Wasn't it the Boston doctors that diagnosed him?
Yeah that's why I said in the original post "I don't understand how Boston doctor's could prognose him wrong."

Last edited by Soderberg: 11-28-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote