HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Joe Finley signs multi-year deal

Old
11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Caps site had him listed as a left wing. Is that a mistake or did he play some forward at one point?
He has played forward, even early for the Amerks.

11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
He did have a fight in the Amerks game on Saturday night

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

[QUOTE=jfb392;40093025]Why?
Not to derail this thread, but we already have two solid goaltenders in the NHL (some may disagree) and two in the AHL (both lack NHL potential IMO, but are good AHL starters that can fill in when needed).

If you want a starter prospect, we have Knapp (probably more of a backup) and Lieuwen (I think he has starter potential but then again I am very high on this kid. He has the size to be effective and a great attitude which is key, plus he was a top prospect before his accident).
Want more starter prospects?
Sign one of the million CHL/European/NCAA free agents that are on the market every year or use a late round pick and let them develop.
No need to really use any type of valuable asset on them.

-----------

Well... I'll take your word... I'll be the first to admit i don't know much about our prospects coming up other than the marquee ones. It's just everything that i heard ..outside of Miller and Enroth ..the organization doesn't have much in the system that looks NHL caliber.

But if I'm wrong.. I retract my statement lol

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
UncleBenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So in the same mold as a Regehr, Pronger, Weber type? Stay at home, not much offense, kinda nasty to play against. Or does he have a screw loose like Domi or Ray?

Edit: well Pronger isn't really a not much offense type, but you know what i mean
No screws loose that I've seen, Just a stay-at-home, solid defenseman. I also love how he sticks up for his teammates, the minute he thinks someone is taking a run at one of his guys, Finley is right there to drop the gloves. Him and Whitmore are definitely my favorite Amerks so far.

UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Dreakon

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So in the same mold as a Regehr, Pronger, Weber type? Stay at home, not much offense, kinda nasty to play against. Or does he have a screw loose like Domi or Ray?
Well, he is tough like those defenseman, but he has a temper.
He'll drop the mitts too, but he needs to take some boxing lessons if he wants to fight at the NHL level.
He seems to like to try to land as many as he can initially and then his opponent ends up countering as soon as he makes a mistake and he gets taken down because he loses his balance.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
No screws loose that I've seen, Just a stay-at-home, solid defenseman. I also love how he sticks up for his teammates, the minute he thinks someone is taking a run at one of his guys, Finley is right there to drop the gloves. Him and Whitmore are definitely my favorite Amerks so far.
Good, that's exactly what we need. Hope he makes the big club real soon. Maybe he could teach Myers a thing or two about being mean.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
sabrefan27

Well deserved. Probably my favorite player on the team. For those who haven't been following the Amerks, in my opinion..

An argument can easily be made that he's the best skating defensemen on the team. Not just for his size, but overall. The man can move and never gets beat outside by speedier forwards like you often see with big defensemen.

He's physical. Not in a hugely flashy way, but he clears the crease and takes the body effectively behind the net.

He defends his teammates. Has to come their aid several times this season after questionable hits. The Fitzgerald fight was one, and another was after the late hit that gave Turnbull his concussion.

He makes a great breakout pass and always finds the open man. Hard and on the tape every time.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
When I saw an Amerks game this year, Finley and Foligno were the best two on the ice. Of course, they're the only two that haven't been called up At least now, they both can be.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:11 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
He did have a fight in the Amerks game on Saturday night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Thanks !!

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, he is tough like those defenseman, but he has a temper.
He'll drop the mitts too, but he needs to take some boxing lessons if he wants to fight at the NHL level.
He seems to like to try to land as many as he can initially and then his opponent ends up countering as soon as he makes a mistake and he gets taken down because he loses his balance.
Agreed about the fighting. I love his willingness to throw the gloves and stick up for teammates (loved him going after Conboy a couple weeks ago for a high hit), but he's not a fantastic pugilist. He reminds me of Mike Weber in that respect. He's very game and will be the first to answer the call for his boys...but he needs to brush up on his fist throwing. Of course, boxing you can teach. Heart and attitude you can't. The kid has that in abundance.

He has the pedigree being a former first round pick, and from the games I've been to, it seems that he's putting those skills the Washington scouts noticed way back when together. He's good positionally, can be physical when needed (though not overly so), and plays a good, stay-at-home type of game. A 6'8 guy who can play defense and throw the 'nucks on occasion as a No. 6 down the line? The idea makes me warm and fuzzy.

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

For those that have been watching him in Rochester, any major negatives or glaring weaknesses?

I'm intrigued so far.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
jfb392

Best-case scenario: he is capable of playing bottom pairing minutes at the NHL level (obviously management thinks he's capable of playing in the NHL in some capacity, since AHL guys don't get multi-year deals) and displaces Gragnani when everyone is healthy.
Gragnani continues to play like his usual self, meaning we are able to successfully waive him and assign him to Rochester.

The Sabres gain a tough defenseman and the Amerks gain an AHL All-Star defenseman.
Everyone wins, plus there's the added bonus that Gragnani would likely not meet the games played requirement to stay a Group II RFA, meaning that he'd hopefully leave our organization during the off-season.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
For those that have been watching him in Rochester, any major negatives or glaring weaknesses?

I'm intrigued so far.
Nothing too glaring. He is what he is, though. He's certainly not an offensive juggernaut and never will be. He's not a big, accurate shooter, or a puck mover, or a guy who will even rack up the assists. But he's surprisingly good in his own zone at cutting down angles, taking the body, clearing the front of the net, and being in the right position at the right time. You don't see a lot of dumb plays out of him. Basic, simple stuff combined with solid skating for a big man.

Throw the penchant for fisticuffs on top of that, and it's a good recipe. When Conboy smacked Turnbull in the head a couple weeks ago, Finley was right there. He's done that on more than one occasion.

I see it like this:

1) Best case scenario: He's a legitimate 5/6 defenseman in the NHL who can play strong, stay-at-home defense and add serious meat to the blueline. Throw in some offseason boxing lessons, and you have a guy on the back-end who can also intimidate with the gloves off (ala Carkner).

2) Most likely scenario: You have a 6/7 defenseman who plays 40 games a year and fills in during injuries or adds beefs in games where it's needed (ie Boston). His fighting stays where it is: decent if not a bit erratic. He won't be John Scott, but he'll be more than game in that department (ie bigger Mike Weber).

3) Worst case scenario: He's an 8 or 9 guy who you can count on in a pinch if the injury bug bites too deeply, and who otherwise helps your farm team immensely (and in turn, the development of your top prospects).

Considering the worst case scenario is where he's at now, I'd say it was a good gamble on management's part.

Old
11-28-2011, 06:07 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Well I've liked what I've read about him, thanks.

The fighting weakness is something I am not concerned about. Fighting is slowly but surely becoming a side show or afterthought. Sure it still serves a purpose, but not like it did 10+ years ago. If he can work on things needed from an NHL defenseman over the course of the next 9 months, he may be able to make the team next September. Always room for improvement no matter how good he may be in any one area. I'll have to watch a Amerks game, next time they broadcast one in buffalo.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:12 PM
sabrefan27

http://www.youtube.com/user/LetsGoAm.../3/6f8Jje8jjzo

Here's another fight. Conboy is no slouch. He's not a great fighter, but he's not bad either. He held his own earlier in the season against Lessard who is a top heavyweight.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

And by my math he's only 24. So he's still got some good years out of him.

Will be interesting to see how he continues to develop.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I was happy to hear us pick him up from the Capitals
You and me both. And it's nice to see the Sabres remaining proactive instead of letting another NHL squad steal him away.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
He's certainly not an offensive juggernaut and never will be. He's not a big, accurate shooter, or a puck mover, or a guy who will even rack up the assists. But he's surprisingly good in his own zone at cutting down angles, taking the body, clearing the front of the net, and being in the right position at the right time. You don't see a lot of dumb plays out of him. Basic, simple stuff combined with solid skating for a big man.

Throw the penchant for fisticuffs on top of that, and it's a good recipe.
You just described Hal Gill. It took him a while to establish himself in the league as a 6/7 and eventually he moved up to top-4 minutes, in the Regehr shutdown mold. Complete organizational win if he can follow this development path.

This move seems like refinancing your mortgage at 3%, it's a no-brainer. Minimal risk, and a solid potential reward.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Caps site had him listed as a left wing. Is that a mistake or did he play some forward at one point?
Ruff actually had him playing some forward during TC.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article567013.ece

Quote:
"He is huge, yeah," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "He's struggled with injuries the last couple years but for a big man, he's an excellent skater. I don't know a lot about him either, but we've tried him a little bit up front and on the back end. We're just really trying to test drive a used car, so to speak."

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
You just described Hal Gill. It took him a while to establish himself in the league as a 6/7 and eventually he moved up to top-4 minutes, in the Regehr shutdown mold. Complete organizational win if he can follow this development path.

This move seems like refinancing your mortgage at 3%, it's a no-brainer. Minimal risk, and a solid potential reward.
There are some comparisons, for sure, if just based on size and defensive play alone. I'm not sure Finley has it in him to play himself into a top-4 role in the NHL, though. I wouldn't count out a solid 5/6 role as his high end, however. That's nothing to scoff at considering it cost the Sabres nothing to get him in the pipeline.

Gill has (or had) the better over all skill set, but I like Finley's temperament better. He's not as soft as Hal Gill by a wide stretch. Gill's a bad fighter considering his size, whereas Finley's a decent fighter with size.

If he can continue to develop positionally, he might be a big, dependable bottom-pairing guy. I'd even be happy with a guy who works on his fighting and becomes a No. 6/7 bruiser.

Interesting gamble by the Sabres, and based on the Amerks games I've caught in person or on TWC, I've liked what I've seen. He's piqued my interest, and apparently management's as well.

Old
11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He's game and he's big. That's good. He'll lose, but he'll answer the bell. And there will be those guys he can hold off with those long arms and pummel.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post

Jesus christ. If he became Hal Gill or close, HUGE win. I love Hal Gill.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Minute Major

Anyone else feel a major shakeup is about to happen?

I know, probably not but it has me wondering with this signing. The Sabres appear to be really deep as it was on the blueline.

This doesn't sound like a signing where they foresee the kid playing in Rochester at this time next season.

I don't know....maybe it's just me, but the timing seems a bit strange.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Updated the OP with details of the contract, 3 years, 525k annually, 2 way deal

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote