HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers bad for ur relationship?

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 12:18 AM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
Rangers bad for ur relationship?

I'm a massive NYR fan, I'm also a pretty big Mets and Manchester United supporter.

About 2 1/2 years I started dating a girl and we hit it off from the start. After six months she moved in with me and while everything was great (sex just about every night was one of those lil perks) I soon found myself in competition for the TV when hockey season rolled around. I was able to solve that pretty fast, I have a 46 inch flat screen and I purchased it for my sports. I went out and found a 32 inch on sale at Best Buy and put it in the bedroom for either her or when she wont give up the big screen when I wanna watch my Rangers...

Now she wanted to start going out with friends (her friends) for dinner on game nights...I usually tried to get out of this but failed due to her *****ing. Now I know we have Ranger rewind but I found out that they don't show the FULL game and often skip to just before Goals, Fights or a big save...I decided to get TIVO and things were going alright UNTIL we started going out in the CITY (Manhattan) a lot at nights during NYR games and this happened to me more than once THOSE DAMN YELLOW TAXIS with those ESPN game UPDATERS.....Its so flashy, so uncommon..and you see Rangers flash and UR gonna look...Flyers 5 NYR 2...great...ruined.

Anyway..I was talking to the now fiancée about the CBA and she came out with "Our relationship suffers during the winter because of those damn NYR, you always gotta watch them and when we go out all you wanna do is get home and your cranky".....

That had me wondering...those anybody else have this problem? Does it ever go away? Should I just get rid of her?

Old
09-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Edge

I feel like I just read a letter to playboy....

Um i'd suggest finding a middle ground. Go out with friends sometimes and watch games sometimes. Sit down and talk about it and come up with a compromise.

If you have the money for a 46 inch flat screen and a new 32 inch, you might as well just get tivo and watch is whenever you want. You're not gonna miss much.

Old
09-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I feel like I just read a letter to playboy....
:lol

Haven't been on this board in a long time, but this thread demanded attention.

With regard to RoyKeane16's question, I'd suggest he watch the "Baltimore Colts Quiz" scene from the 1982 movie "Diner." The movie is somewhat of a cult classic, so it surely can be picked up on DVD or VCR tape.

In it, Eddie (played by Steve Guttenberg in a rare quality performance) requires his fiancé to pass a 100-question test about his beloved Baltimore Colts as a prerequisite for marriage. The oral test is held the night before the wedding is supposed to take place. Classic scene.

Point being, no woman should stand between a man and his passion for sports, especially since there are too few of us hockey fans to begin with!

My wife didn't know a puck from ring-ding (nor cared to) prior to us meeting. Several years later, she was lining the parade route in her Brian Leetch jersey as the NYR Stanley Cup caravan marched to City Hall....by herself - I was at work!

Don't confront the non-believers. Those, like your gfriend, who currently may not "see the light".

Convert them!

Last edited by Trottier: 09-15-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old
09-15-2004, 01:34 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Wow excellent question my friend....My ex was from Germany so she wasn't too keen on hockey...I turned her on it and she always wanted to move to NYC( I'm in fl at the moment) and told her if we were going to move there I'd have to have season tickets, she said that was ok...what I didn't realize is she meant two one for her and I...

So I've got a couple of questions...

Have you tried to watch a hockey game with her and politely explain all the rules? I've found that alot of my friends (both male and female) just dont' enjoy watching a hockey game because they dont' really understand it... So that would be my first bit of advice try explaining it to her as much as possible and make her a part of it....get her a jersey...doesn't have to be of a player just get her a Rangers jersey and get her to a game make her feel part of it....

If she does know about the game and for whatever reason (there are people out there) doesn't enjoy the game. Well it's time to either A) Compromise and tape some/all of the game and watch them on your own time..(it's tough to avoid scores) and do it that way...or B) find a show that she likes that you don't really enjoy and hint that you're not into watching this as much as she's not into hockey....but becareful cause sports are always our downfall haha....

You've got to find neutral grounds and make sure not to take out the Rangers lows on her (cause the Rangers lows are sure to be plenty for a while anyways) and make her (again) feel part of it but not a reason as to why their losing.....if you're really good you can milk a rangers's loss for a good ol round of hanky panky....or ummm I mean mutual bonding ...yeah that's it.

edit> oh PS I'm a Man U fan as well cheers!!!!
There's only one Keano! There's only ONE Keano!

Old
09-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Edge

Personally I'd say try taking her to a live game if that is possible. I have yet to take anyone unfamiliar with hockey to a game and have them not at least enjoy the sport more than they did before.

Old
09-15-2004, 03:10 AM
trowa

I've always found the best method to convert someone to a sport is to take them to an actual game. Converted my ex-gf to be a Jets fan this way. She loved football afterwards. Just be patient and explain the rules. She'll get it eventually and maybe will enjoy watching the games with you.

Agree with Edge in that you have to find a middle ground. If not, things can get messy.

Hey, at least she isn't an Islanders fan

Old
09-15-2004, 03:22 AM
Edge

My wife is in many ways a country girl. She grew up in town like Hill Valley from Back to the Future and spent time on a ranch with all manner of farm life.

I took her to her first game a few years back and she got into the sport like nothing I've ever seen. A "good" hockey game is part rock concert, part sporting even and actually a fun date.

But I've learned enough from my own mistakes and the mistakes of others to realize that a relationship is merely a smaller reflection of life itself.

There is compromise and there is agreeing to disagree. There is teamwork and there is individuality. Tears and laughs, mistakes and triumphs, wins and losses. But you do the best you really can and you make it work by someone who has the same attitude. If a relationship can be broken up by TV than you're probably not really ready for a relationship {and same goes for her}.

In the end it's all just stuff. Shiney, sometimes amusing, often time passing, stuff. It comes and it goes and and 5 years from now you won't remember who scored what or how much one team beat the other by. But you'll remember a girl......for good and bad, you always remember a girl.

Old
09-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyKeane16
I'm a massive NYR fan, I'm also a pretty big Mets and Manchester United supporter.

About 2 1/2 years I started dating a girl and we hit it off from the start. After six months she moved in with me and while everything was great (sex just about every night was one of those lil perks) I soon found myself in competition for the TV when hockey season rolled around. I was able to solve that pretty fast, I have a 46 inch flat screen and I purchased it for my sports. I went out and found a 32 inch on sale at Best Buy and put it in the bedroom for either her or when she wont give up the big screen when I wanna watch my Rangers...

Now she wanted to start going out with friends (her friends) for dinner on game nights...I usually tried to get out of this but failed due to her *****ing. Now I know we have Ranger rewind but I found out that they don't show the FULL game and often skip to just before Goals, Fights or a big save...I decided to get TIVO and things were going alright UNTIL we started going out in the CITY (Manhattan) a lot at nights during NYR games and this happened to me more than once THOSE DAMN YELLOW TAXIS with those ESPN game UPDATERS.....Its so flashy, so uncommon..and you see Rangers flash and UR gonna look...Flyers 5 NYR 2...great...ruined.

Anyway..I was talking to the now fiancée about the CBA and she came out with "Our relationship suffers during the winter because of those damn NYR, you always gotta watch them and when we go out all you wanna do is get home and your cranky".....

That had me wondering...those anybody else have this problem? Does it ever go away? Should I just get rid of her?
The solution is simple, move to Europe. The games starts at 1am(7pm ET), after a couple of years you don´t even get tired anymore.... The coverege has become much better too.

Old
09-15-2004, 08:28 AM
free0717

Quote:

The solution is simple. GET RID OF HER!!!!!!

If she is whining already and your not married, imagine what life will be like after she has that wedding ring on her finger.

Believe me, marriage sucks, been married 15 years and it is about 15 years too long.
My next phone call is to my lawyer.

Old
09-15-2004, 08:59 AM
JCProdigy

Well this is the funniest thread in a while....

Nothing really more to add except that most of us are probably dealing with this unless your girl is a huge sports nut. Then that's an automatic keeper.

Just to add.....this past weekend:

Saturday 1pm:
My GF: Hey, I wanted to pick something up at the Mall. Can you come with me?
Me: Sorry, Yankees game on, can't go...

Saturday 4pm:

My GF: Hey, I wanted to go jogging. Will you go with me?
Me: Sorry, game still on....

Saturday 8pm:

My GF: Wanna go out and get some drinks?
Me: Sorry, Penn State is playing PLUS the World Cup is on....
My GF: But I really want to go out!
Me: But this may be the last time I see hockey in a long time....

I won't even go into Sunday with the Jets, Giants and Yankees playing. She knew to leave early and come back late

Old
09-15-2004, 09:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Well, with the lockout (and the Mets being a disgrace), your problems would seemingly be solved.

Old
09-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Fletch

Jc...

I turned the PSU game off early...friggin' PSU still hasn't gotten a QB.

Should've gone out for drinks instead...I sure did...

Old
09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Haven't been on this board in a long time, but this thread demanded attention.

With regard to RoyKeane16's question, I'd suggest he watch the "Baltimore Colts Quiz" scene from the 1982 movie "Diner." The movie is somewhat of a cult classic, so it surely can be picked up on DVD or VCR tape.

In it, Eddie (played by Steve Guttenberg in a rare quality performance) requires his fiancé to pass a 100-question test about his beloved Baltimore Colts as a prerequisite for marriage. The oral test is held the night before the wedding is supposed to take place. Classic scene.

Point being, no woman should stand between a man and his passion for sports, especially since there are too few of us hockey fans to begin with!

My wife didn't know a puck from ring-ding (nor cared to) prior to us meeting. Several years later, she was lining the parade route in her Brian Leetch jersey as the NYR Stanley Cup caravan marched to City Hall....by herself - I was at work!

Don't confront the non-believers. Those, like your gfriend, who currently may not "see the light".

Convert them!

Couldn't agree more Trotts.

Best to try and convert.

The now wife had never watched a hockey game before we started dating.

By the time she got a ring she knew all the players, by number and position.

I highly recommend to taking her to see a game in person, it will certainly help the conversion process.

First game I took her to was a Flyers - Rangers game ... take her down by the glass during warm-ups ... lets her get a feel for their size and speed.

Being a Flyers/Rangers game, there were a few fights as well, which I think you'll find most women will find very enjoyable.

Now if I could only convert her from being a West Virginia fan to Penn State .....

Old
09-15-2004, 09:27 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Not just a QB .... but a defense ... and a new coach ......

Old
09-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Fish

Well my wife pretty much lets me decide what I want to do and I watch pretty much any game I want to watch. She isn't really a Rangers fan, but she'll watch the games from time to time, but she plays hockey so perhaps that helps.

As an aside...if she's complaining...ditch her now while you still can

Old
09-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
I used that one the last few weeks as well

Old
09-15-2004, 05:09 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

My wife brought a book to a playoff game once. She's been banned from The Garden. Maybe the lockout isn't such a bad thing...

Old
09-15-2004, 05:22 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy

:lol :lol

thats great thats the same i told my girl she likes hockey, dont get me wrong but not like i do. and my excuse the last couple weeks was the same there might be no hockey, so let me watch and u can go on the computer, it worked

Old
09-15-2004, 08:03 PM
jaywills1020

5 words for you my man
1. IT
2. WILL
3. ONLY
4. GET
5. WORSE
but if you love her then stay with her. or start putting your foot down.

Old
09-15-2004, 08:32 PM
icthelight

My gfriend doesnt really mind when i watch sports or go on the computer to talk sports, but she gets annoyed every once in awhile. Luckily most of my teams stink and I dont really have to watch every minute(BTW its the Rangers, Mets, Jets and Knicks.) But, if I cant convert her i'd rather go out for a night with her or my friends(which usually involves watching the games anyway) and watch it on tape if i have to. She knows when i really have to watch a game, so its pretty well known.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:32 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Who said I wasn't drinking Went out after the Cup game was over too....besides I needed to down a couple of shots after the back to back friggin roughing the kicker calls to start the game off.

I have to say that despite last weeks game I think Mills, while healthy, has done a decent job. Like John said, PSU needs a defense more than anything and that's what I was most worried about coming into the season. Maybe all the hurricanes hitting Florida will drive the recruits up north...

Old
09-16-2004, 03:06 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:

s

Priorities, ya know? I, personally, am having the best sex of my life... but I'd give that up to religiously watch my boys go 10-65-7. NYR is life!

Old
09-16-2004, 03:32 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Priorities, ya know? I, personally, am having the best sex of my life... but I'd give that up to religiously watch my boys go 10-65-7. NYR is life!
:lol

Old
09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Fletch

Not a Mills fan...

he's no Chuck Fusina ya know. They could definitely use a lot more, but maybe it's been my numerous drunken stupors but his arm has never really impressed me.

Ahh, I will resort to oodles of college ball and pro ball to get out my sporting frustrations. At least both are on really good drinking days [and the bar up the street from me shows all games on satellite - and has drink and wing specials - and a form of lotto that plays every 5 minutes - and it's downhill on the way home].

Old
09-16-2004, 06:25 PM
patnyrnyg

I have usually just read these boards, but now I must post.

Let me qualify my thoughts my saying my gf is a ranger fan and was before I met her. She doesnt like football, but knows NOT to call me when the Giants are playing. We have been together for over 2 years.

Roy and everyone else, your girlfriend should NEVER make plans for the both of you. She should ALWAYS check with you first and if she gives you grief about not wanting to hang out with her friends, then you need to shorten the leash on her. Give you an example of what I mean. I am a teacher and therefore I'm off today and tomorrow for the Jewish holidays. My gf quit her job last week. Her best friend is also a teacher. Her best friends boyfriend had an extra pair of tixx for a concert tomorrow night and asked if we wanted to go. My gf tells me the concert is for some guy neither of us had ever heard of, but apparently had a popular song about 2 years ago, and the concert was in Maryland. My gf asked if I wanted to go and I replied, "are you on crack? You want me to drive 4 hours at the minimum for a concert for a singer I have never heard of who had a popular song 2 years ago?" Then she replied, "Well, I thought it would be fun to go away." Sorry, but my idea of a weekend getaway is not driving to Maryland for a concert with her best friend, the boyfriend AND her best friend's 16 year-ld brother. Not happenning. So I suggested if she wants to go away we should go to Cooperstown. Neither of us have ever been there and she does want to go. But, she had an interview this afternoon and again tomorrow so that is out of the question. Last weekend she asked me if I wanted to have dinner with them. I had to decline. We went back to school last week, without the kids, and I spent most of the week helping other teachers move stuff and set up their rooms, helped some of the ladies carry textbooks, so I knew Friday I would be in no shape to go to the city. No AC in most of the rooms, so I was working up quite a sweat and a very unpleasant aroma. Actually had to bring extra T-shirts so I could change in the middle of the day. I teach in Staten Island, so would have had to drive home (work on north shore, live on the South Shore), shower, change clothes, drive back to the north shore to catch the ferry, nah not a good idea, and saturday I was going to Atlantic City as I had tixx for Giants-Eagles in Philly sunday. My point? DO you know how many guys would have had to adjust their plans because their gf went ahead and made plans FOR them? It should never happen.

Roy, you had a TV, then went and bought a 2nd tv so you both could watch what you wanted to watch and she STILL gives you grief? Are you insane? Do you ever give her a hard time when she is watching something you hate? If not, you better start giving her a dose of her own medicine.

As for compromise, make sure she knows the schedule in ADVANCE, if you are going to allow her to make plans for the both of you. Next time she makes plans for both of you be a man and tell her, "NO". If she gives you any $h!t, just say, "Because I do not feel like going." Or, turn the tables. On a night you know she wants to watch something make plans for both of you with one of your friends whom you know she hates. When she complains you can give it to her.

Another thing you can try is to start complaining about how much money you wind up spending when you go out with HER friends because SHE made plans. Obviously this won't work if you are wealthy, or you never pay, or she somehow gets everything comped (had an ex-gf who did that, she worked for SONY, so she would get free passes and gift certificates to everything, but she was a real nasty b!tch and when she told me to shut up in front of my family I took her home. On the way I stopped at a convenience store and picked up a newspaper. When we got to her place I opened to the Personals and told her she might want to use these if she wants to be with someone next week).

I'm sorry for being so hard on you Roy, but you need to take a little control. I'm not saying you should become Atilla the Hun, but she does need to know her place, and she needs to learn that you are entitled to your hobbies such as the Rangers, and other sports as well. There is no reason why she can't agree to meet friends on a saturday night when they are playing at 11pm. Granted, that is a little late for dinner, but not to late for drinks. If she is trying this nonsense during the week, claim you do not want to be out when you have to work the next morning. If you are letting her take control now, you are doomed after the wedding. You might as well have the priest say, "I now pronounce you Master and B!tch" and guess what, "B!tch" would have NOTHING to do with gender.

Closed Thread