HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
MMA General News and Discussion

Didn't know where else to put this.

Leben suspended for one year....

Quote:
Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (“the UFC®”), today released information stating that middleweight fighter Chris Leben tested positive for Oxycodone and Oxymorphone following his Nov. 5 loss to Mark Munoz in the main event of UFC® 138 in Birmingham, England.

As a result of the positive test, Leben will be suspended from fighting for one (1) year.

“I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year,” UFC President Dana White said. “If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life.”

“I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts,” Leben said. “I’m learning that I’m my own worst enemy sometimes. I can’t succeed in the Octagon or in life behaving this way. I’ve got to make some real changes over the next year and I’m going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I’m sorry to the UFC and fans that’ve supported me since my days on The Ultimate Fighter.”
http://uk.ufc.com/news/leben-suspend...-after-ufc-138

Sad stuff. Hopefully he gets help.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Got an idea for those kinds of posts. Let's throw general news bits that aren't fight announcement related or topic worthy on their own into here.

It is really sad and he needs to seek help.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Got an idea for those kinds of posts. Let's throw general news bits that aren't fight announcement related into here.
Good idea.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Pax Macioretty

What a ****ing joke, 1 year?! Without his painkillers the main-event could of been in jeopardy, could you imagine that already horrific 138 card without Leben-Munoz? It's not like he was using steroids or any kind of enhancements. Oxycodine is mostly a super tylenol, that's it. I get the suspension because painkillers are illegal, but no pay for 1 year is ridiculous.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What a ****ing joke, 1 year?! Without his painkillers the main-event could of been in jeopardy, could you imagine that already horrific 138 card without Leben-Munoz? It's not like he was using steroids or any kind of enhancements. Oxycodine is mostly a super tylenol, that's it. I get the suspension because painkillers are illegal, but no pay for 1 year is ridiculous.
Leben looked really jacked for that fight, so I'm assuming those drugs helped him in training too. I'm only vaguely aware of the drug but isn't it used so people can train much more frequently? I could be confusing drugs though, I'm not really very educated on these kind of drugs.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Karo got 9 months for something similar when that happened in Nevada. Painkiller addiction is pretty serious, I'm more worried about that than whether or not the suspension is too long.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Damn....

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
If he was on those medications for legitimate reasons and he was using them correctly, then there wouldn't have been an issue. He obviously did not get the proper clearance, which is against the rules and worthy of suspension. Add on the fact that he's been busted for steroids already and has been arrested twice for DUI, he's lucky he got off with a suspension and didn't get cut.

The guy has a problem with addiction, so a message to get clean has to be sent.

Old
11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Having guys doped on painkillers before a fight is dangerous. It's the same reason they busted Diaz for weed. If you're out there fighting on Oxy, you're not going to feel pain the same way you normally would during a fight.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Having guys doped on painkillers before a fight is dangerous. It's the same reason they busted Diaz for weed. If you're out there fighting on Oxy, you're not going to feel pain the same way you normally would during a fight.
That's an excellent point, I didn't think of that. It not only gives a fighter an advantage in terms of how much pain he can endure in a fight, it's dangerous. The body feels pain for a reason.

On a separate note, what is the UFC thinking putting an entire card on Fuel TV? It's bad enough they're moving prelims there, but entire events also? It's only in 25% of homes with televisions. It's just idiotic to have so much content on such an irrelevant channel. And people thought the NHL was dumb for signing on with OLN/Versus which at the time was in 60-70% of homes.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Fox probably wants to use the UFC to force providers to pick up Fuel TV. I already have it, luckily.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Fanpuck33

Also, to be fair, comparing this to the NHL and Versus isn't quite fair, since the primary cable partner is FX. Still, I'm bummed I don't get this channel or even have access to it from my cable provider. I've got a buddy who also follows MMA who has access for 5 bucks a month with the same package that has NHL Network. I might just offer to pay more than half of the fee so I can also access the Habs games that are on NHL Net.

Old
11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Urijah Faber's 19-year-old sister is in a coma following a car accident

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/29/408...in-a-coma.html

Old
11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
That's an excellent point, I didn't think of that. It not only gives a fighter an advantage in terms of how much pain he can endure in a fight, it's dangerous. The body feels pain for a reason.

On a separate note, what is the UFC thinking putting an entire card on Fuel TV? It's bad enough they're moving prelims there, but entire events also? It's only in 25% of homes with televisions. It's just idiotic to have so much content on such an irrelevant channel. And people thought the NHL was dumb for signing on with OLN/Versus which at the time was in 60-70% of homes.
I agree with you guys about the Oxy but I can guarantee you that weed doesn't lessen the pain during a fight at all. I think the main reason weed is used by people in pain is because it takes their mind off of it. Your mind isn't going to be wandering during fight.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Urijah Faber's 19-year-old sister is in a coma following a car accident

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/29/408...in-a-coma.html
Man, that really sucks. Sounds like she's a great person and is very close with Urijah. Hopefully, she makes a full recovery.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Brett Rogers sentenced to 60 days in jail.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26322/bret...or-assault.mma

Old
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Brett Rogers sentenced to 60 days in jail.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26322/bret...or-assault.mma
He rose so fast, gave Fedor a tough fight and then and fell so hard.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Captain_Cunney

I really hope this doesn't get in the way of the upcoming HW superfight between he and Tim Sylvia. The entire sport loses if that epic battle doesn't happen.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I really hope this doesn't get in the way of the upcoming HW superfight between he and Tim Sylvia. The entire sport loses if that epic battle doesn't happen.
That's a can't miss fight!

Old
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
End of Line
Human After All

This might be the best promo video the UFC has ever made.

Old
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
From what I heard he serves some of the sentence before the fight, gets out like two weeks before it, and then serves the remainder afterward.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Frank the Tank
Golden Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
This might be the best promo video the UFC has ever made.

That video definitely gets one excited for the Lesnar-Overeem fight. I stumbled across this promo video on Youtube. I did not realize it was fan made until I read the comments as it looks like something the UFC would release.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
That video definitely gets one excited for the Lesnar-Overeem fight. I stumbled across this promo video on Youtube. I did not realize it was fan made until I read the comments as it looks like something the UFC would release.

The UFC needs to hire Nicktheface to do their promos.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
m9

vCash: 50
Over at Bloody Elbow they list about 8 UFC guys who got cut. No surprises really.

I tried to link to it but my phone browser is having link issues.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Over at Bloody Elbow they list about 8 UFC guys who got cut. No surprises really.

I tried to link to it but my phone browser is having link issues.
I think these are the guys who have been cut:

Jason Brilz, Shamar Bailey, Clay Harvison, Paul Bradley, Matt Lucas, Edward Faaloloto, Eliot Marshall, Danny Downes

Closed Thread