HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty gets 3 games for hit on Letang

Old
11-28-2011, 08:47 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Habs fans are hellbent on comparing this to the Malone hit, even though they're not the same.

And good news for you Malone fans out there, he's a Penguin again!
That **** was funny. I don't know if it's simple clueless, or the hatred for the Pens is so deep people can actually go back in time.

They're doing their usual whining because their best player is going to be missing for 3 days, but save for one donkey here and there, nobody's talking about a Pens bias.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The video doesn't mention it. No ruling would ever openly take into account a play that didn't lead to a major penalty, match penalty or a suspension.
I'm not sure what you mean. The play of Pacioretty on Eaton last year did receive a match. Also, Letang was ruled a repeat offender earlier this year because as we learned he had been fined for a hit he made last season vs TB which was only a 2 minute ruling on the ice. Needless to say, I was wondering if maybe Pacioretty had also been fined last season, but it hadn't come out

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Letang suffered a broken nose and is probably the biggest factor in this suspension. No broken nose and it's a fine for a first timer.

Good with it.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
That **** was funny. I don't know if it's simple clueless, or the hatred for the Pens is so deep people can actually go back in time.

They're doing their usual whining because their best player is going to be missing for 3 days, but save for one donkey here and there, nobody's talking about a Pens bias.
Pretty much all of my friends are Habs fans, my Facebook is a mess right now, it is full of "The league favors the Pens" and "if Cooke had done that to Subban, there would be no suspension" comments. And they say I'm biased when I tell them officiating was bad for both team on Saturday night. Luckily, we only play them 4 times a year, I would probably punch someone in the face if I had to deal with that **** more often.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
The suspension thread on the main board seems to be Rangers/Bruins fans (some of the culprits usually are not too kind about the Pens) mostly defending the suspension against Montreal fans.

Interesting.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

It must KILL Jonathan. to be called a Bruins fan. Poor guy.

The problem with the main board is that everyone thinks it's serious. It's just a hilarious troll-game there.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Habs fans are hellbent on comparing this to the Malone hit, even though they're not the same.
They're so hellbent on comparing it to the Malone hit that they're even suggesting that since Malone plays for the Pens, he got preferential treatment from the league.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:22 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
They're so hellbent on comparing it to the Malone hit that they're even suggesting that since Malone plays for the Pens, he got preferential treatment from the league.
That was great, I almost thought it was 2008 again.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Pretty much all of my friends are Habs fans, my Facebook is a mess right now, it is full of "The league favors the Pens" and "if Cooke had done that to Subban, there would be no suspension" comments. And they say I'm biased when I tell them officiating was bad for both team on Saturday night. Luckily, we only play them 4 times a year, I would probably punch someone in the face if I had to deal with that **** more often.

They're not even aware how funny that is, are they?

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Letang suffered a broken nose and is probably the biggest factor in this suspension. No broken nose and it's a fine for a first timer.

Good with it.
Definately a factor in the length but I think he would have gotten one game anyways if no injury.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Pretty much all of my friends are Habs fans, my Facebook is a mess right now, it is full of "The league favors the Pens" and "if Cooke had done that to Subban, there would be no suspension" comments. .
I'd throw a party if Cooke did that to Subban. Sure, he should be suspended for it, but Subban deserves it.

Yea, and Cooke deserves it for his past behavior too. I'm no hypocrite. At least Cooke is trying to clean himself up while Subban is out there slew footing and hog tying people as of 2 days ago.

Iffyiffiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:17 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post

They're not even aware how funny that is, are they?
Probably not, that's the sad part... or the funniest part, depending how you look at it

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:39 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Great vid from Shanahan. I was leaning towards 0 games myself until I saw this in slow motion and saw that Pacioretty, as Shanahan explained, leaned away from Letang's body and toward his head by shifting his weight over to his right leg.

I am very happy that Shanahan stressed the fact that players need to be cognizant of their position on the ice and their surroundings when they have a puck. My biggest concern in all of these changes is that players forget they have a responsibility to protect themselves when they have the puck.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I can live with three games. Should have been five games, but three isn't too bad.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Sounds about right to me, but I could have lived with two games also, he was never fined? or suspended before.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:54 AM
1 09Cup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmcd24 View Post
If it was Cooke, he'd be gone for 15 games.
Considering one of the criteria for determining the length of the suspension is past performance Cooke would have gotten more than three games, and deservedly so.

I don't think he gets 15 though, probably 7 or 8.

1 09Cup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 06:59 AM
bigd

I loved the hit but I also understand what they are trying to accomplish in protecting the players today. I don't think Patch targeted the head but that was the end result so, in todays NHL, it warrants a suspension. Scott Stevens use to make those hits all the time with his shoulder down and back then fans thought it was great. The game has certainly changed.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:12 AM
AreYouHockey

I'm a Habs fan and I think this is a fair decision. Congrats to Shanahan and his team on these.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Scott Stevens use to make those hits all the time with his shoulder down and back then fans thought it was great. The game has certainly changed.
This is a fallacy that's been perpetuated every time one of these hits happens. Stevens squared up to nearly every one of the players he hit.I'm not saying he didn't contacted the head, but he didn't only contact the head. Now we've got plays like this one where the guy making the hit doesn't even make contact with any other part of the offensive player's body, because they don't square up. Guys are trying to make these big hits but want to do it be sliding/skirting by instead of meeting a guy square.

Old
11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flying Birds View Post
Good ruling by Shanny. Main board is having a fit which is mildly amusing.
Of course. Penguin Derangement Syndrome runs wild among the internet. Some people see Gary Bettman hiding behind every bush when they go outside for a walk.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
This is a fallacy that's been perpetuated every time one of these hits happens. Stevens squared up to nearly every one of the players he hit.I'm not saying he didn't contacted the head, but he didn't only contact the head. Now we've got plays like this one where the guy making the hit doesn't even make contact with any other part of the offensive player's body, because they don't square up. Guys are trying to make these big hits but want to do it be sliding/skirting by instead of meeting a guy square.
This.

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Exactly what he deserved. I don't think Pacioretty is a dirty player but that's exactly what the league needs to get rid of.

I still don't understand how the refs let that one go and didn't give Pacioretty a 5 and a game

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:32 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirit View Post
Montreal's board is atrocious right now.
Just refer them to this article:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...275/story.html

Red Fisher is easily one of the most respected hockey journalists in Montreal today. Habs fans usually eat up every single word he says, and most of the time he's spot on without showing any real bias. This is a well written article that flat out states that Pacioretty deserved the suspension. It also goes on to talk about how the Pens medical staff should've never let Letang back on the ice after that hit, which I kind of agree with.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Exactly what he deserved. I don't think Pacioretty is a dirty player but that's exactly what the league needs to get rid of.

I still don't understand how the refs let that one go and didn't give Pacioretty a 5 and a game
Most the guys that have gotten suspended this season aren't particularly "dirty". One doesn't need to be dirty in order to deliver reckless hits like these, which is why I always find the arguments regarding a player's "history" and "intent" to actually be quite moot. Distribute the punishments based on the ACT ITSELF.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:38 AM

3 games is fair. Not a dirty hit as much as a reckless one.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote