HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 10:37 PM
NeilYoung

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Not really familiar with Bourque. What can you guys tell me about him? What's his skillset? Where would he play here? What type of stats do you think he would have here?
Inconsistent, very he's been known since his childhood for floating through a lot of games.

Decent physical game when he's on good shot good skated. When he's hot he's pretty impressive but those stretches are completely unpredictable. He's like a mini Semin in that aspect

Here he could probably coast his way to 50 points or it could easily be another Dustin Penner situation.

I don't feel he's worth cost on a not great contract with some risk involved. He doesn't really upgrade much on the team at all.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Don't see any problem with Bourque or his contract. Solid 25-25 guy that with some work ethic and two-way play.

No, he's not a consistent point producer, but not many forwards are. Definitely a solid top-6 guy and an upgrade over Semin at this point.

Schultz seems a more likely target for Calgary if they're sending Bourque to the Caps.

Schultz + Eakin for Bourque? I'd do it.

And I think there are three scenarios in which the Caps get something that helps them now for Semin:

1- Trading him for another guy that's sucking it up this season and might need a change of scenery

2- Trading him for another UFA that might be a better fit.

3- Essentially paying a bottom feeder with cap room in draft pick(s) to eat his contract so you gain cap space.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Don't see any problem with Bourque or his contract. Solid 25-25 guy that with some work ethic and two-way play.

No, he's not a consistent point producer, but not many forwards are. Definitely a solid top-6 guy and an upgrade over Semin at this point.

Schultz seems a more likely target for Calgary if they're sending Bourque to the Caps.

Schultz + Eakin for Bourque? I'd do it.

And I think there are three scenarios in which the Caps get something that helps them now for Semin:

1- Trading him for another guy that's sucking it up this season and might need a change of scenery

2- Trading him for another UFA that might be a better fit.

3- Essentially paying a bottom feeder with cap room in draft pick(s) to eat his contract so you gain cap space.

Soooo... like Laich and Brouwer...?

Old
12-12-2011, 11:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Sure. I'd take 12 Brooks Laichs as my forward group any day.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Soooo... like Laich and Brouwer...?
God forbid we get another one of those.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Inconsistent, very he's been known since his childhood for floating through a lot of games.

Decent physical game when he's on good shot good skated. When he's hot he's pretty impressive but those stretches are completely unpredictable. He's like a mini Semin in that aspect

Here he could probably coast his way to 50 points or it could easily be another Dustin Penner situation.

I don't feel he's worth cost on a not great contract with some risk involved. He doesn't really upgrade much on the team at all.
I'd say he's a pretty significant upgrade on Eakin as a 2nd liner at least at this point.

I can't imagine him not being just a bit dragged down by Calgary as well.

Rather see if there's something better though, but if he's the only reasonably priced option... why not

If Downie was available and could get along with Ovie... holy ****

Old
12-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
God forbid we get another one of those.

But it's not what we NEED.
Right now our only Snipers are Ovechkin and Semin, and Semin isn't doing very good.
We need another sniper to score goals!

Old
12-13-2011, 12:02 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Right now our only Snipers are Ovechkin and Semin, and Semin isn't doing very good.
We need another top 6 forward (or 2) that will work hard, win battles, and step up his game in the playoffs. We need to be able to generate team goals if the snipers aren't firing.

Another sniper would be a luxury, not a necessity.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Pretty short-sighted view of the issue.

We need someone who can do for Semin's line what Brouwer does for Ovechkin's line.

Eakin-Johansson-Semin is gonna get beyond prison ***** if teams play them physically in the playoffs. Even if you put Brouwer there you're removing him from the top line which again has no one to create space, and Brouwer hasn't been a top 6 forward until this year.

Cammalleri's linemates create more space than Johansson and Semin do and he's getting shut down left and right. Yet, here a sniper like him will thrive?

And we have an excellent sniper in the pipeline.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:36 AM
CrashTheNet9

I thought Brouwer often played on the same line as Toews and Kane.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Halpysback*

Same way that Bickell, Byfuglien and Stalberg did. He was a 3rd/4th liner most of last year.

They certainly didn't auction him off and roll with 2 spots in the top 6 they're still trying to fill with stopgaps instead of giving him 2.35 million because they thought he was a top 6 player.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Dirtbag59

Me thinks Carlson has arrived. Theres been suggestions since April 2010 that Carlson would one day develop into a regular Norris Trophy finalist. I'm starting to think that if that holds true then his recent play marks the start of that phase of his career.

Quote:
John Carlson earned the NHL's third star of the week with a goal and seven points in three games.
Carlson got off to a bit of a slow start, but he has recorded at least a point in seven of his last 10 contests. Carlson is tied for sixth amongst blueliners with 20 points in 28 games. Dec. 12 - 1:49 pm et
Source: NHL.com
Also in regards to our new Head Coach:
Brooks Laich says Bruce Boudreau might be a hero one day

“[Dale Hunter] says hit everything that moves,” Laich said. “Dump it, get on the forecheck, be tough to play against. The one thing that he’s said since he’s come here is we’re not gonna score a whole lot of rush goals. He said against good teams in the playoffs, you don’t score those easy rush goals. He said you have to work for your goals, you have to be physical, you have to forecheck, score your goals off the cycle, [that] if you watch playoff hockey, that’s how the goals are scored.

“And I think he’s trying to mold our team that way. So you’ll see a lot more chipping and chasing, getting in races, strength along the boards, puck battles along the boards, support and that sort of stuff. And maybe not as much tic-tac-toe passing through the center of the ice. He’s been great. Hunstie’s been great....And everyone just absorbs everything he says. He’s a very respected man. And like I said, I think he’s gonna be great for us.”

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 12-13-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old
12-13-2011, 07:06 AM
txpd

carlson arrived last season when he was playing a reliable shutdown defense and putting up 30 assists. i am pleased by the point scoring groove he has been in, but his mess of a defensive game remains and that is what i want to see.

preseason one of the major hockey previews suggested that carlson would be a norris trophy candidate this season if he were not playing behind green. the reality is that if he were able to match up his current scoring pace with last season's defensive game, he would be a norris candidate.

before i start drooling, i want to see his d game return and the stupid turnovers and lazy plays go away.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:32 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm pretty sure Carlson will never be a Norris contender. Timonen plays a similar game, but he's probably offensively and defensively better than Carlson will ever be. He finished in the top 5 once.

It's a hard trophy to win.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
carlson arrived last season when he was playing a reliable shutdown defense and putting up 30 assists. i am pleased by the point scoring groove he has been in, but his mess of a defensive game remains and that is what i want to see.

preseason one of the major hockey previews suggested that carlson would be a norris trophy candidate this season if he were not playing behind green. the reality is that if he were able to match up his current scoring pace with last season's defensive game, he would be a norris candidate.

before i start drooling, i want to see his d game return and the stupid turnovers and lazy plays go away.
Agreed. All the drooling over him for a two-game offensive hot streak is kind of annoying, really. I hope it doesn't distract him from focusing on reversing his defensive regression, and two consecutive three-point games is great, but it's two games. It doesn't mean he's going to produce at nearly that pace all year, and he hasn't to this point.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Back to Turris for a second... he has played 6 games for Phoenix since signing and has 0 points. One of those games he played on Doan's line and sucked, so he was sent back to a lesser role. Kid's not exactly boosting his trade value.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:31 AM
txpd

holding out doesnt work out. doughty stinks now. i look at doughty and myers and subban and i dont feel bad about carlson and love the hell out of alzner.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
holding out doesnt work out. doughty stinks now. i look at doughty and myers and subban and i dont feel bad about carlson and love the hell out of alzner.
Alzner is a backbone player. If you need to start from scratch - you know that he will do ok and the you are going from there. If you need anything different - he'll do that also.

I think nothing is holding him from hitting more some years later. He will become even better. Positioning, skating and all his great footwork - what else he need to do it besides muscles (which he will gain)?

Old
12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm pretty sure Carlson will never be a Norris contender. Timonen plays a similar game, but he's probably offensively and defensively better than Carlson will ever be. He finished in the top 5 once.

It's a hard trophy to win.
This. I agree with everything you posted here. I'd imagine that Carlson can be a little more physical than Timonen, but unless he really develops beautifully, I don't imagine Carlson ever being as good as Timonen was a few years back.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:49 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sure. I'd take 12 Brooks Laichs as my forward group any day.
Exactly, we don't need no more powder puff, buttery players on this team. I'm so hoping with DH as the coach, he'll talk sense into GMGM that he shouldn't get any more Semin type players. I rather have guys that work hard, score goals, and occasionally play utility roles. If it was between Bourque and Semin, hell yes I would take Bourque. I watch a lot of Calgary games and he will at least go into traffic areas, hit, and even fight. He is good at screening too. I still think Semin will be here until his contract runs out on July 1st.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:54 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

How many times from 1986 to 2000 did someone fans or the players say it would be nice to have one playmaker -Garts and Bondra were not quite enough. You need to have that elite skill on the team. AO is prototypical because he is a freight train, but you need to have the others too.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:55 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
I blame those fat contracts myself. Once good players sign them, most seem to just float and just get bye. I'm a huge fan of performance contracts, but that will never happen in sports. Alzner to me, just seems like a class act guy all around and grateful to be playing in the NHL. I like having players like Alzner tremendously. He is a true leader type.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Alzner is a backbone player. If you need to start from scratch - you know that he will do ok and the you are going from there. If you need anything different - he'll do that also.

I think nothing is holding him from hitting more some years later. He will become even better. Positioning, skating and all his great footwork - what else he need to do it besides muscles (which he will gain)?
Hitting isn't, and probably shouldn't be, his game. His physicality is just fine in general. He doesn't need to hit to limit guys' space and apply physical pressure.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
How many times from 1986 to 2000 did someone say fans or the players say it would be nice to have one playmaker -Garts and Bondra were not quite enough. You need to have that elite skill on the team. AO is prototypical because he is a freight train, but you need to have the others too.
Those teams could have used more muscle too. We tried when Simon and Berube came to D.C. but injuries hampered Simon too much .

Old
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Hitting isn't, and probably shouldn't be, his game. His physicality is just fine in general. He doesn't need to hit to limit guys' space and apply physical pressure.
If opponents knew Alzner can hit hard they would think twice every other shift
More power to him

Closed Thread