HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2011, 11:00 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sophomore slump, likely. He'll snap out of it, though. He's shown flashes.

Wideman is what he is. He'll provide solid offense from the blue line, but needs a partner to cover for defensive ineffectiveness at times--like last night, where he just gave away the near post to the St. Louis forward (can't recall who it was).
He took the man driving the net and in the process, shielded Erskine from picking up his side. It was just an unfortunate circumstance IMHO. You can let that forward drive the near post with the puck sitting there cause the goalie can't control it.

If anything... you have to blame that lack of backchecking. Or maybe Erskine for having Wides take that free man. Not sure of erskine's responsibilties on that play as I didn't watch it over and over.

However... point stands that I agree with basis of your post.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I honestly wouldn't mind scratching Wideman for a game if his play doesn't improve by the time Green gets back. He's been awful as of late. His defensive zone coverage is the absolute worst on the team right now, and he's no longer putting up the points. Granted, putting him back in a reduced role when Green is around should improve his game, but his play hasn't validated keeping him on the ice. Especially given last night, where Hamrlik-Orlov was more palatable than Hamrlik-Wideman has been.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Sophomore slump, likely. He'll snap out of it, though. He's shown flashes.

Wideman is what he is. He'll provide solid offense from the blue line, but needs a partner to cover for defensive ineffectiveness at times--like last night, where he just gave away the near post to the St. Louis forward (can't recall who it was).
Wasn't even a forward, it was Kris Russel.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Carlson has slumped in a huge way defensively. His offense is at or above where it had been, but he's totally dropped his game in his own end (and especially on the PK to these eyes).
First thing Huntsie did was re-unite him with his comfort zone... alzner. And paired 81 with 44. Which wasn't that bad however horrid 44 is in isolation.

JC has to learn to play with various guys in various situations. But I think JC issue is one that many caps suffer. Confusion.

I also hope that Hunter slaps that laziness we saw on the icing out. Don't assume you're going to make the easy play or get a hooking call. Just ******* do it.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Wasn't even a forward, it was Kris Russel.
Ah he was talking about that play. Wides played that perfectly. It was a mini 2 on 1 and he took away the guy on the inside and left half the net and a dman on the goalie.

Wides pressures Russel and 9 of 10 times that puck is in the net.

Unlike Sarge who hangs the goalies out to dry on a 2 -1.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Ah he was talking about that play. Wides played that perfectly. It was a mini 2 on 1 and he took away the guy on the inside and left half the net and a dman on the goalie.

Wides pressures Russel and 9 of 10 times that puck is in the net.

Unlike Sarge who hangs the goalies out to dry on a 2 -1.
I agree that he shouldn't have stepped up on Russel, but it was far from playing it perfectly. He wasn't moving his feet and overplayed the center of the ice, letting Russel walk in on Vokoun. I appreciate that he took away the initial pass, but no reason Russel should be able to crash the crease like he did.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

There was most definitely a second defenseman back with Wideman on the play I'm talking about. Neither Cap seemed to be defending anyone in particular.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
There was most definitely a second defenseman back with Wideman on the play I'm talking about. Neither Cap seemed to be defending anyone in particular.
edit; Just re-watched the play.

The play I'm thinking of happened at about 12:50 in the 2nd, during the 4-on-4. Three of the four caps (Orlov, Chimera, Johansson) were along the left boards trying to get the puck out of the zone (although Chimera was the only one working the boards while Orlov and Johansson merely watched on either side). The Blues gained control of the puck and sent it to Kris Russel on the opposite point. He then walked in on Vokoun while Wideman attempted to play the pass (although not really covering anyone in particular and while Orlov and Chimera were still on that half of the ice). It was definitely a blown coverage by Wideman.

Last edited by Hivemind: 11-30-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old
11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Capitlols

Jay McClement as a 4th line C would be nice. Ray Whitney is my hope for the top 6. Though I doubt Phoenix will miss the playoffs and not sure Whitney waives.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
First thing Huntsie did was re-unite him with his comfort zone... alzner. And paired 81 with 44. Which wasn't that bad however horrid 44 is in isolation.

JC has to learn to play with various guys in various situations. But I think JC issue is one that many caps suffer. Confusion.

I also hope that Hunter slaps that laziness we saw on the icing out. Don't assume you're going to make the easy play or get a hooking call. Just ******* do it.
Yeah. The problem with that pairing is that Alzner seems much, much smarter than Carlson, so he's a guy you can rely on in a more complicated situation (move him to the opposite side to play with Orlov or Schultz or whatever) but then you're hanging Carlson out to dry by changing his tactics.

He's still worse this year than the pairing jumble explains, I think. Sophomore slump covers most of it to me.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
In the play I'm thinking of, Erskine was over by the far post/goal line and the puck came/was passed to Russel trailing the play in the slot. Wideman was caught high on top of the crease, playing the pass and ended up letting Russel skate right in towards the near post. I believe this was during the 4-on-4.
Yup, sounds about right to me. They seemed to be defending against the third forward coming wide--except there wasn't a 3rd forward, since it was a 4-on-4.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Yup, sounds about right to me. They seemed to be defending against the third forward coming wide--except there wasn't a 3rd forward, since it was a 4-on-4.
See my above edit. The play was a bit higher up in the zone than I remembered and it was Orlov on the ice rather than Erskine.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
hyzer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Yeah. The problem with that pairing is that Alzner seems much, much smarter than Carlson, so he's a guy you can rely on in a more complicated situation (move him to the opposite side to play with Orlov or Schultz or whatever) but then you're hanging Carlson out to dry by changing his tactics.

He's still worse this year than the pairing jumble explains, I think. Sophomore slump covers most of it to me.
Alzner and Orlov sound like a formidable pair right about now

Old
11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I agree that he shouldn't have stepped up on Russel, but it was far from playing it perfectly. He wasn't moving his feet and overplayed the center of the ice, letting Russel walk in on Vokoun. I appreciate that he took away the initial pass, but no reason Russel should be able to crash the crease like he did.
Ok I was being a simpleton by saying perfectly. Once Russell did the pivot Wides should have closed to restrict more of the net. But in the basics of reaction. He did it right compared to many others. That play happens so fast. And Wides is who he is. I wouldn't expect an average Dman to play it any different and I'm happy if our offensive Dman react the same.

Better than a positional Dman taking a grinder's angle away but leaving Gaborik open on a 2 on 1...

Old
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
edit; Just re-watched the play.

The play I'm thinking of happened at about 12:50 in the 2nd, during the 4-on-4. Three of the four caps (Orlov, Chimera, Johansson) were along the left boards trying to get the puck out of the zone (although Chimera was the only one working the boards while Orlov and Johansson merely watched on either side). The Blues gained control of the puck and sent it to Kris Russel on the opposite point. He then walked in on Vokoun while Wideman attempted to play the pass (although not really covering anyone in particular and while Orlov and Chimera were still on that half of the ice). It was definitely a blown coverage by Wideman.
Off to a meeting... I'll take a look when I get back. My memory and reaction was based on once Russell had the puck along the left dot. I'll check out leading up to the play. I thought there was a guy in the slot.

On 4 on 4's, you're supposed to play man on man. So it should be easily identifiable.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
See my above edit. The play was a bit higher up in the zone than I remembered and it was Orlov on the ice rather than Erskine.
Ah, so my initial recollection of Wideman's gaffe seems more or less correct. Hard to recall clearly at times when you see it only once at the arena. No replays of Caps' mistakes, typically. I should really start DVRing home games.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Semin

Quote:
So after the lackluster effort shown last night, I'm more and more convinced Dale won't be able to do anything with this group until some of the softness is purged. Bye bye Schulz and bye bye Semin (unless he drastically turns it around in the next dozen games or so). Send Eakin down as well and go get a couple of forwards (one top six and one bottom six) and a left sided defenseman that can skate and have some mental toughness.

Some guys (pending UFAs) that might work:

Top-6: Koivu, Prospal, Stoll, Doan, Ruutu, Whitney, Nielsen

Bottom-6: Moss, Pahlsson, Nichol, Tootoo, McClement, Moen

Defenseman: Beauchemin, Jackman, Suter, Gleason

I'm sure there are probably players that would fit that are not pending UFAs as well.

Really don't know what can be done with Hamrlik. Management seems to want his leadership and experience, but he's hurting the team on the ice, and a $3.5M 7th defenseman does no one any good. Maybe make it worth the while of a cap floor team to take his contract?
Would love to have Ruutu but isn't he struggling adjusting to the hitting rules? I thought I heard hes afraid to play physical because he doesn't want to get suspended?

Whitney wouldn't be bad. Still has some silky mittens, does he have enough in the tank for a big playoff push?

Stoll wouldn't be bad to have more depth down the middle. Wouldn't be my first choice but could be a nice addition.

McClement could potentially fit on the 4th line. Good PKer too.

Always been a fan of Moen, big, strong, charges the net. He can play on any line too and be affective.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

EkFu!

"Meanwhile... There are huge rumors also swirling currently that Alex Semin will be moved soon as well... The team to look to has been Detroit....however I am now hearing the Jets may be the destination. The Caps like the depth on the Jets blueline."

"Also... Could Nashville get in on Semin or Ryan? My sources say there is a very good chance on Ryan. The Preds have the depth and the salaries the Ducks are looking for here."

Old
11-30-2011, 01:01 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Really would be interested in seeing how the Alexes do apart. Not that I want to see that now until Dale can work with them. Just curiousity since we've thrown out a lot of assumptions over the years.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:04 PM
DCRedhawk21

If Semin gets traded...

Half the people will be all

And the other half will be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-x2fWKbmo

(and yes, that music video actually happened)

Old
11-30-2011, 01:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd give Sasha Minor 10-15 games to see if Dale can reach him. If not, ship him out.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
If Semin gets traded...

Half the people will be all

And the other half will be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-x2fWKbmo

(and yes, that music video actually happened)
Good God. Forgot about that. The '80s were so bizarre.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I still don't think theres a market for Semin, but 5 to 10 games would be my threshold.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Semin

Quote:
I'd give Sasha Minor 10-15 games to see if Dale can reach him. If not, ship him out.
I like Semin, always have. Even though he makes me want to rip out my hair I'll always have a soft spot for the guy but I can't help but to agree with you here. I'd make a package to get Bobby Ryan. We could sit here and say Kuz will take over 2nd line next year but in interviews theres more uncertainty with him weather hes staying in the KHL or coming over.

Old
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Capitlols

I could see Detroit taking a chance on Semin, didn't know they had that much space. That being said, they'd low-ball us along with everyone else.

Closed Thread