HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #24 Kings v. Sharks, 11/28/11 - Post Game WIN, Thoughts & Tidbits

Old
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Why is everyone patting each other on the back after another shutout win with only 2 goals scored?
Because we won???

I don't care if we only score 1 goals per game as long as we win them all.

It's about wins and losses not about goals scored or allowed.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The shutout party continues.

Given that Quick stays healthy, Bernier is out the door come off-season in my opinion. It is almost sad that he is already breaking so many goaltending records for the Kings, this franchise has waited for this for a long time.

Main improvement needed in my opinion, other than staying disciplined, is we still need a solution for the powerplay. It has been dropping rapidly and in our last four games we have converted only 1 of 14.

Hammond also pointed out a pretty cool stat, we are 11-2-2 when Richards records at least one point.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Because we won???

I don't care if we only score 1 goals per game as long as we win them all.

Scoring more goals = long term success.

Relying on a hot goalie /= long term success.

You win by scoring more goals than the other team, how is that not about goals scored and allowed?

It's a good win for the team, but I've already said countless times that Murray will be able to grind out enough 2-1 wins to make the playoffs, but once in the playoffs, the Kings don't have that next gear to win. They have been schooled in back-to-back seasons defensively in the playoffs. And defense is supposed to be the stronger part of the Kings game.

I'm tired of the myth that anyone can win if you just make the playoffs. It sounds nice, but it doesn't happen.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Given that Quick stays healthy, Bernier is out the door come off-season in my opinion. It is almost sad that he is already breaking so many goaltending records for the Kings, this franchise has waited for this for a long time.
I think Lombardi will wait until Quick is signed long term before moving Bernier. He can't even officially negotiate with either goalie until 7/1/12. Quick will be an UFA and Bernier will be RFA on 7/1/13.

So, if Quick signs for at least 3 more years, then I could see Bernier moved after 7/1/12.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Shellz

Gotta love Sharks fans saying Quick wasn't challenged. Sore losers. He was the Kings best penalty killer.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Why is everyone patting each other on the back after another shutout win with only 2 goals scored? Yes, the team played well and SJ wasn't on top of their game, but only 2 goals were scored by the Kings. This actually lowered their GF/G.
You know I'm on your side with the 3 goals per game argument, but once in a while, it's ok to not score two goals when the rest of the game, for the most part, was very good. Last night was one of those times. We played well, not great but good, and we won.

And besides, if the video replay guy wasn't an idiot, it would have been 3-0. So we really got three goals, one was from a supporting player, and we won. I'll give it a rest for today.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Iron Chef

Sharks fan here. Great game last night by the Kings. Quick looks great for you guys. The way things are going early on, we're setup for the most exciting Pacific Division/Western Conference race for as long as I can remember. It makes me happy/anxious to know that the Sharks play the Kings at home for the last regular season game of our season. The Pacific could come down to that game.

The moves you guys made during the off-season are definitely paying off.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:22 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I think Lombardi will wait until Quick is signed long term before moving Bernier. He can't even officially negotiate with either goalie until 7/1/12. Quick will be an UFA and Bernier will be RFA on 7/1/13.

So, if Quick signs for at least 3 more years, then I could see Bernier moved after 7/1/12.
Officially no, but I assume there will be some behind the scenes discussion before then and if Quick looks locked in for an extension around the time of the draft, that's when I say Bernier goes. He'd likely have his maximum value around that time as well.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Sharks fan here. Great game last night by the Kings. Quick looks great for you guys. The way things are going early on, we're setup for the most exciting Pacific Division/Western Conference race for as long as I can remember. It makes me happy/anxious to know that the Sharks play the Kings at home for the last regular season game of our season. The Pacific could come down to that game.

The moves you guys made during the off-season are definitely paying off.
One move is for sure

Old
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Gotta love Sharks fans saying Quick wasn't challenged. Sore losers. He was the Kings best penalty killer.
Sharks fans, sadly, still need to learn the game.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
The Pacific could come down to that game.
Maybe. The Sharks still have three in hand on the Kings and the Kings only have one point on them.

Not very reassuring...Sharks have to go into a little tailspin at least for the Kings to catch them.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Why is everyone patting each other on the back after another shutout win with only 2 goals scored?
Depends on what's important to you as a fan.

FWIW, the Kings had a (legit) 3rd goal disallowed.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Maybe. The Sharks still have three in hand on the Kings and the Kings only have one point on them.

Not very reassuring...Sharks have to go into a little tailspin at least for the Kings to catch them.
Its NOVEMBER and we need to worry about righting the team before worrying about games in hand

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
You know I'm on your side with the 3 goals per game argument, but once in a while, it's ok to not score two goals when the rest of the game, for the most part, was very good. Last night was one of those times. We played well, not great but good, and we won.

And besides, if the video replay guy wasn't an idiot, it would have been 3-0. So we really got three goals, one was from a supporting player, and we won. I'll give it a rest for today.
I was going to give it a rest too, but I had to respond to the pro-Murray side that is acting like the Kings just fixed their problems last night. Kings played a solid 40 mintues and then let the Sharks control the 3rd period, Quick kept it from being another Dallas game. Kings could have easily lost without the posts and Quick.

It was a huge win for the Kings and they continued their stong play in the division, but they are still 4th in points percentage in the division.

I would love nothing more than 58 more 2-0 victories, but I know that itsn't going to happen. The Kings need to start scoring more goals consistently before they can finish in the top 4 of the West and have a legitimate shot at the Cup.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Officially no, but I assume there will be some behind the scenes discussion before then and if Quick looks locked in for an extension around the time of the draft, that's when I say Bernier goes. He'd likely have his maximum value around that time as well.
And then Quick's agent wants another million per season since he has zero competition with Bernier gone.

Never trust an agent.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
if we would have lost by one goal, he would have said, "good teams find a way to win". If we win by 2 goals, we still have problems cause we can't score.

These people are comical. Either way, they spit out the same drivel on repeat. Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of the overly optimist either, not everything is right with the Kings. But to be incapable of approaching a siutation without being completely overrun by your own emotional baggage is irritating.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

FWIW, the Kings had a (legit) 3rd goal disallowed.
The Stanley Cup is what is important to me as a fan. Along with entertainment.

Scoring 2 goals per game and Terry Murray as coach will not fulfill either of those. Unless you think the first 260+ games were the anomaly and the Kings will go on a scoring tear over the next several months.

The days of NJ grinding out Stanley Cups is over. Tampa couldn't even make the finals with their attempt at it.

At least Terry still believes in a forecheck, I will give him that. He doesn't play much of a zone defense.

Last night was a positive step, I was happy with the first 40 minutes, but the last 20 minutes is not how you should close a game. It didn't work against Dallas and Quick saved the Kings against SJ.

Old
11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The Stanley Cup is what is important to me as a fan. Along with entertainment.

Scoring 2 goals per game and Terry Murray as coach will not fulfill either of those. Unless you think the first 260+ games were the anomaly and the Kings will go on a scoring tear over the next several months.

The days of NJ grinding out Stanley Cups is over. Tampa couldn't even make the finals with their attempt at it.

At least Terry still believes in a forecheck, I will give him that. He doesn't play much of a zone defense.

Last night was a positive step, I was happy with the first 40 minutes, but the last 20 minutes is not how you should close a game. It didn't work against Dallas and Quick saved the Kings against SJ.
You keep saying this but the Kings were 9th in the league in goals for in 2009/2010 with a lesser roster. Don't let that get in the way of your bashing, though. Maybe that was an anomaly but is it really out of the question to think that a better roster could perform at least somewhere between where they are now and where they were then?

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Sharks fans, sadly, still need to learn the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I felt Quick played a great game and that the Kings forwards and defense out-hustled the Sharks to lose pucks, shooting lanes, and body position.

You shouldn't take a few statements from some and generalize a whole fan base.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:06 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Emphasis added to highlight the actual point. This is one win in an 82-game season (with 58 games left). It's the MULTIPLE wins that matter, not just this single one -- and right now, this one win is nice to have, but not _yet_ an indication that future games are also likely to end up on the two-points side of the ledger for the Kings. And as much as some people would like to ignore it, the statistics of 5-on-5 scoring do not yet give much support to thinking that the team will get enough more winS than lossES.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
agree w/ this - but TM needs to play Bernier much more, to really see what he's got. If he plays well, it will only increase his trade value.

If Bernier starts < 20 games, his value really doesn't go up that much (assuming he playes great - and I"m not sold on his performance this year, yet)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

The one major thing I took away from last night's game, the first two periods at least, is that this team has not quit on this coaching staff. That was everyone buying in and coming out of the gates motivated and working hard. Great game, sloppy finish but it worked out.

Josh Deitell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Since we've discussed Goals For ad naseum and we all recognize the significance of the stat, how about these stats:

10/11 Bos 2nd
09/10 Chi 6th
08/09 Pitt 17th
07/08 Det 1st
06/07 Ana 7th
05/06 Car 19th

Those are the Goals Against rankings for the Cup winners since the lockout so while Goals For is a very important stat, Goals Against is just as important.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:16 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
if we would have lost by one goal, he would have said, "good teams find a way to win". If we win by 2 goals, we still have problems cause we can't score.

These people are comical. Either way, they spit out the same drivel on repeat. Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of the overly optimist either, not everything is right with the Kings. But to be incapable of approaching a siutation without being completely overrun by your own emotional baggage is irritating.
The Kings did play a good game last night. It was probably good enough to win even if Quick played a solid game but didn't stand on his head, but it might have been very close considering how many quality scoring chances that San Jose got. You can't depend on that kind of performance from Quick on a regular basis, so scoring more goals should still be a priority.

You can call that negative or the same drivel as always, but it's still as true as it was before the game.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:18 PM
ShowtimeDynasty
LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
this. put clifford on the fourth line or down to the minors, id prefer the latter. our fourth line is lookin solid, wouldnt wanna mess that up
I thought Cliffy looked great tonight.

ShowtimeDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote