bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The part in bold doesn't add up for me. This team could use the talent in which Ryan could bring, even with Kane blossoming into the goal scoring power forward we're seeing now. We need more than what we've got right now, is a fair way of putting it, I think. What we have now is a good foundation, but it must be built upon and added to and if we could ever acquire a legitimate piece and what we were sending away was palatable for us, we should do it.

Just because we have Kane, doesn't mean we don't need or couldn't use a guy like Bobby Ryan if the price was right.
Obviously, but we're just not in a position to make a move for a guy like Ryan because we lack depth at forward.

Also, would giving up a guy that is, arguably(I say that because I know others aren't as high on him but top 15 would probably be a more consensus on this board), a top 10 defensemen for a guy that is probably closer to a top 20 winger(all debatable) a good move for us?

Either way, we just don't have the assets(I don't see it) to take a risk like that for Ryan.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Just read that word/rumor is Ducks want a young defenseman + young forward in return.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Obviously, but we're just not in a position to make a move for a guy like Ryan because we lack depth at forward.

Also, would giving up a guy that is, arguably(I say that because I know others aren't as high on him but top 15 would probably be a more consensus on this board), a top 10 defensemen for a guy that is probably closer to a top 20 winger(all debatable) a good move for us?

Either way, we just don't have the assets(I don't see it) to take a risk like that for Ryan.
I don't think we have the assets either, so we agree there.

In terms of giving up a top 15 defenseman (Enstrom) for Ryan, it would depend on how management felt in regards to our depth on the back end and the benefits Ryan may give us at forward. As of now we've covered and played quite well in the absence of our injured defenseman that it *may* be an area we could explore if we believe it would bolster our forward group and help us there, perhaps making us a better team. That would be a decision management would have to make. Granted, we would be a lot better right now with a healthy Enstrom too, I believe, but if management liked the idea of trading a defenseman for a top forward, I may be okay with that. Not Bogosian, though.

I'm not saying do it, nor is it even likely a possibility, nor do I even think Chevy and co. would likely get in on the Ryan market, i'm just trying to look at different angles. If the deal revolved around Enstrom for Ryan, I may entertain that.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Huffer

vCash: 958
Quote:
I don't think we have the assets either, so we agree there.

In terms of giving up a top 15 defenseman (Enstrom) for Ryan, it would depend on how management felt in regards to our depth on the back end and the benefits Ryan may give us at forward. As of now we've covered and played quite well in the absence of our injured defenseman that it *may* be an area we could explore if we believe it would bolster our forward group and help us there, perhaps making us a better team. That would be a decision management would have to make. Granted, we would be a lot better right now with a healthy Enstrom too, I believe, but if management liked the idea of trading a defenseman for a top forward, I may be okay with that. Not Bogosian, though.

I'm not saying do it, nor is it even likely a possibility, nor do I even think Chevy and co. would likely get in on the Ryan market, i'm just trying to look at different angles. If the deal revolved around Enstrom for Ryan, I may entertain that.
I agree with you Guerzy (seriously I should just make that saying a macro. )

That's my take on Enstrom as well. I would rather resign him, but depending on how management felt that possibility was, I could be ok with it. The problem is Enstrom is still relatively young, and resigning him is a good thing because our defensive prospects are not good. Postma had decent preseason here, but we don't really have any blue chippers in the pipeline.

Losing Enstrom would also most likely make us a little more active in Free Agency, and it "might" affect our choices/moves at the draft as well.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:48 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 947
Quote:
I didn't know people thought so highly of Enstrom. Obviously he's a really smart player and is really gifted offensively but I don't see him being top 15. I'll admit I haven't seen him play a lot with him being hurt this year and not following the Thrashers prior.

In my mind, giving up a star player from a position of strength to add a star player to a position of weakness (top 6 scoring ability) makes sense. Ryan is also younger and signed for 3 more years after this season to a reasonable contract.

I'd think that the Anaheim fans would be even more reluctant to an Enstrom for Ryan trade than we are...

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Just read that word/rumor is Ducks want a young defenseman + young forward in return.
Wasn't there a tweet somewhere that said that the Jets were offered something "nice" for Little plus a defenseman?

As long as the defenseman wasn't Bogo, how "nice" would that be?

Old
11-29-2011, 11:56 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Id entertain a Hainsey, Wheeler, 2nd round pick, and a prospect like Klingberg for Ryan package, not sure if there are enough high level pieces in there to get him. Ryan would help this team out immensely upfront, he's got size, speed, and is a legit 30 goal guy. There is however no way I entertain giving up Kane or Bogo for him. My thoughts on Enstrom are the same as the majority, I only trade him if he's not willing to resign. Ryan would be brought in to be a part of the young core here, not at the expense of other members of the core. I would be happy with a Bogo, Burmistrov, Kane, Scheifele, Ryan core.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I didn't know people thought so highly of Enstrom. Obviously he's a really smart player and is really gifted offensively but I don't see him being top 15. I'll admit I haven't seen him play a lot with him being hurt this year and not following the Thrashers prior.

In my mind, giving up a star player from a position of strength to add a star player to a position of weakness (top 6 scoring ability) makes sense. Ryan is also younger and signed for 3 more years after this season to a reasonable contract.

I'd think that the Anaheim fans would be even more reluctant to an Enstrom for Ryan trade than we are...
Just because Enstrom was playing at his absolute floor before becoming injured doesn't mean that he's not as good as many people are implying here on the board. One poll of HFBoards members in one of the main forums had Enstrom as a top 10 defenceman in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Wasn't there a tweet somewhere that said that the Jets were offered something "nice" for Little plus a defenseman?

I don't think a rumour would be so casual if the defenceman in question was going to be Bogosian. I'd jump on Little + Dman for Ryan in an instant, personally.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

maybe it was little and buff!

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
maybe it was little and buff!
Don't tease us!

11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Bogo is quickly becoming the top dman he was projected to be when drafted. Jets should not entertain any thought of trading him now.
Overall I'm surprised at how fast things went from "Bogosian for junk" to "I wouldn't trade him straight up for Bobby Ryan". Probably evidence of just how much of a turnaround he's had over the summer and into the first quarter of this season.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Overall I'm surprised at how fast things went from "Bogosian for junk" to "I wouldn't trade him straight up for Bobby Ryan". Probably evidence of just how much of a turnaround he's had over the summer and into the first quarter of this season.
this is what happens when someone is willing to coach him

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Id entertain a Hainsey, Wheeler, 2nd round pick, and a prospect like Klingberg for Ryan and Selanne package, not sure if there are enough high level pieces in there to get him. Ryan would help this team out immensely upfront, he's got size, speed, and is a legit 30 goal guy. There is however no way I entertain giving up Kane or Bogo for him. My thoughts on Enstrom are the same as the majority, I only trade him if he's not willing to resign. Ryan would be brought in to be a part of the young core here, not at the expense of other members of the core. I would be happy with a Bogo, Burmistrov, Kane, Scheifele, Ryan core.
There, fixed that for you.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
this is what happens when someone is willing to coach him
Yep. It seems pretty clear to me that for whatever the reason(s), John Torchetti just didn't mesh with Bogosian. We've heard Bogosian speak in articles saying how great Huddy is because he doesn't just yell and scream, Huddy talks and works things out on a more personal level, he communicates with him.

Zach's Father also spoke in a recent article and said when Zach was a younger kid if you'd just sit down and talk with him, put your arm around him, then he'd go through a wall for you.

That speaks volumes to me in what type of communication is needed when dealing with a young Zach Bogosian. There is a time and a place for tough love, yelling and screaming, raising your voice, but there is also a time and place to interact in a more personal manner that does not involve simply yelling and screaming. In Bogosian's case, he didn't need to be yelled at and screamed at, which he made it fairly clear to me that is what Torchetti did, and it did nothing but crumble his confidence as a teenager and 20 year old in the midst of developing and playing in the NHL.

These players, young and old, are all human. Some may take well to a more tough love approach, but from what I can gather, Torchetti simply didn't communicate with Zach, a 19-20 year old KID very well at all. Every individual is different and their are different levels of communication that work for each individual. Yelling and screaming may work for some, while it may have the opposite effect on others.

In my opinion, Torchetti failed miserably with Zach Bogosian, and Charlie Huddy has been a godsend.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-29-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old
11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Seanahue

We 100% pass on this. We don't have what it takes at this time. How many people here would really trade Kane and Bogo for Ryan? We pass and keep all our picks in a deep draft as well.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
The Ducks don't really need an offensive defenseman like Enstrom. And we don't need to be trading one of the best defensemen in the league for a winger that we'll have by next year either(talking about Kane).
Ryan is exactly the type of player we are missing you cannot compare ryan to kane,ryan is way more talented they both can score goals but ryan brings a demension we are sorely missing especially on the pp.Ryan is still really young also he would have been a first overall pick if he wasn't drafted the same year as crosby i would definately give up a first round pick for him,I don't think there will be a player close to his caliber at the aprox. the #10 spot if it looked we would be in the bottom 5 then I would keep that pick.Wheeler and a first,or Wheeler,postma,cormier and a 2nd.

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:20 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Who says the Ducks are shopping Ryan?

EDIT: If Ryan is being shopped, count us out.. We don't have enough talent to give compared with the other 28 teams. Plus, Burke will prob. find a way to give up Komisarek and get Ryan and a pick
Probably true. I dunno how Burke pulls off some of his trades.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Okay, I am a big Ducks fan in addition to the Jets and I would love to get Bobby Ryan on the team. I don't think the Ducks would trade him, but you got to think that they actually are his price will be high.

I think Little + d-man not named Bogo or Enstrom + conditional pick (1st if we are in the second half of the draft and 2nd if we are in the top half so basically #16-45) would be what I want to give up from our end, but the Ducks would probably get a better offer.

Last edited by atl thrasher344: 11-29-2011 at 03:51 PM.
atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:15 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Okay, I am a big Ducks fan in addition to the Jets and I would love to get Bobby Ryan on the team. I don't think the Ducks would trade him, but you got to think that they actually are his price will be high.

I think Little + d-man not named Bogo or Enstrom + conditional pick (1st if we are in the second half of the draft and 2nd if we are in the top half so basically #16-45) would be what I want to give up from our end, but the Ducks would probably get a better offer.
Since this is a rumor thread;

NYR contacted ANA but won't give up Stepan or McDonough
TOR supposedly must give up something including Gardiner (going back to ANA, which is a non-starter for TOR) or a combo of Kulemin&Franson OR Schenn&Kadri

Speculation is that acquiring Ryan would command at least (2) 1st round picks or two very promising prospects/young stars.. That pretty much takes us out of the equation.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hmmm... i'm going to throw crap at the wall here. Do I think it happens? A big no, because it would be a huge trade and I really do not see Chevy and the rest of management making this big of a move just yet with this team. They're still seeing what they've got and the guys are still in the midst of finding themselves as team, so for that I have a really tough time seeing a big move being made with this team at this point.

Anyway...

Last week we see a random tweet that states the following,

https://twitter.com/#!/the_creasy/st...60770141229056

Quote:
Cheveldayoff has received a nice offer for Bryan Little and a D-Man. #Jets
Now, this week we see Kypreos say that Bobby Ryan is being shopped.

http://twitter.com/#!/darenmillard

Quote:
darenmillard Daren Millard
Doing the oilers/predators game @RealKyper told by an nhl exec that ducks r shopping bobby ryan. Wow. 2 wins in 18.
And then in the midst of looking around on the net, I find this old piece (rumor) from back in 2010 when Chicago had to deal Byfuglien. By the way, I don't believe anything from Eklund's site.. but to carry on here,

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...Body/128/28928

Quote:
Dustin Byfuglien is rumored to have been at the center of a deal that fell through late last week with the Anaheim Ducks. The deal allegedly was not consummated because the Ducks wanted to send too much salary back to the Hawks.

I wonder if it's possible Anaheim still has interest in Byfuglien? The rumored asking price for Ryan is a young forward and a young defenseman.

So my conspiracy theory is, what are the chances a deal could be worked out revolving something around the following,

To Anaheim: Little + Byfuglien

To Winnipeg: Ryan (maybe + something to even out the salaries - Kurtis Foster at 1.8 million/would also give us a big shot to help replace Byfuglien's.)

Again, for the reasons I stated above I do not think this will happen, but in the meantime, it's at least fun to talk about.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-29-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old
11-29-2011, 04:32 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think this happens. Truthfully I'm not sure I want it to happen. I don't love Bobby Ryan and don't think he'll be worth the asking price. I'd rather us just keep plugging away and improving everyday.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Huffer

Agreed Guerzy. That's the tweet I was referring to in post 32.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Agreed Guerzy. That's the tweet I was referring to in post 32.
Yep.

Also, again, i'm not saying I like this deal or do not like this deal, honestly, I don't even know.

But, I do find it a little bit interesting, even if it's all rubbish and it 99.9% likely is. I'm just having a bit of fun here connecting some dots.

Old
11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Yep.

Also, again, i'm not saying I like this deal or do not like this deal, honestly, I don't even know.

But, I do find it a little bit interesting, even if it's all rubbish and it 99.9% likely is. I'm just having a bit of fun here connecting some dots.
Okay... if this guy is telling the truth then he is being traded, which is pretty shocking to me:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...5#post40145835

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote