HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Game 23. 11/29/2011. St. Louis Blues at Washington Capitals. 7pm

Old
11-29-2011, 09:18 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Boards are acting up.

Anyway, DH said during his presser that he was satisfied with the effort. That seriously must be the first time in years our players have heard their effort was good. And I agree with Dale here. I hope he realizes he needs to teach the team how to effectively get out of our own zone. Some of you here seem to think there is no system involved with that but I think otherwise. Knowing where support needs to stay and where to pass the puck to is probably very important in getting the f out of our zone. Right now these guys blindly pass the puck and that has lead to goals against more than anything else. Also loved that fact that we were position wise sound. No 2 on 1s or 3 on 2s like we've been seeing the last few weeks.

@SWhyno
Stephen Whyno
Dale Hunter: "They competed real hard – the most important thing. That's what you need to win."

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
At this rate DH will never take the record for fastest coach to 200 regular season wins from BB.
I'll take fastest Caps coach to a SC championship as a consolation prize,

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
any chance chris bourque gets a call-up? he seems to have a bunch of points so far this season for Bears.
I'm sure he will at one point this season. I wish I got a chance to watch him and see how much (if at all) he's improved.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think several of us suggested that sjogren was brought in the play in washington. i think by all accounts that was the plan. why mcphee decided to change the plan, i dont know. sjogren's current -6 in hershey may indicate difficulty with the NA game or just his lack of enthusiasum for playing the the ahl. who knows.

seems to me that perreault won the roster spot and then eakin won the callup and that sjogren was not interested in bus rides longer that would cross most of the continent of europe for a three games in three nights roadie. its belanger all over again. not that it was not the right decision. mcphee has a way of holding people to their agreements and not being weak about cutting them loose when they dont hold up their end.
i'm not sure you meant to quote my post--maybe a board snafu--but i agree with you. i am not a fan of perrault, and don't mind him sitting. i don't see scratching halpern (or hendricks or knuble for that matter) to make room for a tryout. eakin earned the callup, and sjogren got homesick. screw him and his agent.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
txpd

i dont think sjogren is homesick. i think he felt like he had an nhl deal like what johansson had last year. had johansson been mired in hershey past thanksgiving last season, i suggest he would not have been a happy camper either.

as mcphee said preseason, there were several nhl teams after sjogren and it might well have been that he passed on a couple of teams that would have locked him into the nhl and got sold on the caps and that turned out to be a mistake.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:25 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Sucks that we lose on bounces but theyre bounces they earned.

Confusion on the "shutdown" line breakout... Uh shutdown line gifts goal.
Then another dropped puck for goalie. A lot of correctable things on d side.

Impressed by neutral zone back check
I'mpressed by lack of idiot plays... But maybe because we didn't have puck.
Also in o zone just two fore checkers like bb. But first guy is crash guy and not a react guy.
Can definitely see how hunter wants d to play a little passive in ozone. Not going to give up odd man rushes.

Breakout still takes 3 to be one.
Keystone cops at times

All this game did was re-affirm how many structural problems still occur. Blues are in perfect position and efficient. Support is top notch. Ways to go to get to that level.

Love orlov. Kids getting his feet. He wins battles Dow low too.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:25 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I'll take fastest Caps coach to a SC championship as a consolation prize,
amen brother.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
pgreene

txpd, sorry for the confusion--i was asking who sits to make room for sjogren (and suggesting it shouldn't be halpern). i am totally fine with no one ever sitting to make room for perrault. as far as i recall, i haven't said anything about perrault in quite some time.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:27 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
um..what?? hunter is clearly saying that he wants responsible and traditional hockey played. he doesnt want odd man rushes against and to err on the side of caution. he wants defined roles. what about having a 5-8 offensive forward on the 4th line is any of that?

you asked if halpern would sit for perreault. no. he wont.

actually what i saw tonight was about what i would have expected given all the reports about what hunter wants. that second goal was a miscommunication and a mistake. remove that goal and it was a pretty tight game all around. i didnt see every second of the game, but i saw no breakaways and the only odd man rush i recall was the caps 2 on 1 while killing a 5 on 3.

looks to me like there was a simple back to basics going on there. more interested in playing right than winning. that said, i think carlson is in for a rheeming after he coasted in on that icing and had the puck taken away.
Yep, I think it was Backstrom who was interviewed during intermission who said Hunter wants them to be fundamentally sound right now.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Looks like I'm one of the only ones that thought they looked just about as ****** as in Buffalo for 50 minutes. Seemed like the Blues were on the PP, rather than at ES for far too much of that game.

Once they quit feeling sorry for themselves (and Bruce), and actually started taking the game to St. Louis, they were fine. That just didn't come until 10:00 left in the 3rd.

My only criticism of Dale in this game (which I think is fair): Carlson was back out there after dogging it on the icing. That cost the Caps over a minute of defensive zone time late in a one goal game. Should have been his last shift of the game.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

I would really like to see Bourque.
I like Eakin a lot, but i think his time is up. He's been good, but he's not full roster ready yet.

Give bourque a 1-3 games on the 2nd line, see what he can do.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Looks like I'm one of the only ones that thought they looked just about as ****** as in Buffalo for 50 minutes. Seemed like the Blues were on the PP, rather than at ES for far too much of that game.

Once they quit feeling sorry for themselves (and Bruce), and actually started taking the game to St. Louis, they were fine. That just didn't come until 10:00 left in the 3rd.

My only criticism of Dale in this game (which I think is fair): Carlson was back out there after dogging it on the icing. That cost the Caps over a minute of defensive zone time late in a one goal game. Should have been his last shift of the game.
no, i agree with you. handily outplayed for most of the game. and i think your criticism is indeed fair. carlson should've seen the bench for that, especially since he's one of dale's boys.

Old
Capitlols
Blow it up

I don't remember the Caps boards ever being this calm after a loss.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'm a little miffed all around at the Sjogren incident, especially with King off the NHL roster, Beagle hurt, and Knuble on the 4th line. Obviously more so at Sjogren, but McPhee could have handled the situation better.

Though, it's not like our list of AHL call-ups is short. Bourque is tearing it up. Potulny has been hurt most of the season, but has returned and been effective in four games back. Hanson hasn't been special in the Bears bottom 6, but has NHL experience. Then there's obviously King as well.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
pgreene

assuming bourque's worth a call up (which i'm inclined to doubt), pretty sure he'd have to pass through waivers.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
pgreene

it's calm because all the bruce haters have nothing to ***** about, because if they did, they'd have to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, it's not really the coach.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

I might get skewered for this, but am I the only one who thinks this game would have looked like this even if BB were still here? Maybe he gets more aggressive at the end and they give up another goal while trying to tie it, but to me this game was Hitch's through and through.

And that's not an indictment of Hunter. It'll take time to figure things out.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I don't remember the Caps boards ever being this calm after a loss.
boudreau is gone. schultz was scratched. semin didnt take a penalty.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
I would really like to see Bourque.
I like Eakin a lot, but i think his time is up. He's been good, but he's not full roster ready yet.

Give bourque a 1-3 games on the 2nd line, see what he can do.
Dude is not a real NHLer....callup material at best....not a longterm part of this team.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:45 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

If there were no waiver implications he'd be a fine "you've earned this" temporary callup. More or less an empty gesture though.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Nope...I'm with you.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
marcel snapshot

They looked punchless, which was unexpected. And they looked to be in a fog of confusion in their own zone, which has been the M.O. for sometime now.

Ovy made a real nice play on that first goal, and had a great rush at that end (but of course his shot missed the net), but in between meh. That first Blues goal Chimera tries to make a cute between the legs pass to a forward breaking out of the zone, and it doesn't have enough starch on it, we remain bottled up and 10 seconds later puck's in our net.

Really wouldn't want to see too many more games like this - it was, for the most part, dull and lifeless.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I might get skewered for this, but am I the only one who thinks this game would have looked like this even if BB were still here? Maybe he gets more aggressive at the end and they give up another goal while trying to tie it, but to me this game was Hitch's through and through.

And that's not an indictment of Hunter. It'll take time to figure things out.
caps were significantly more cautious than usual. they seemed to be playing hockey by the numbers. it was like hunter told them he didnt care what the score was and didnt care what the outcome was. he just wanted them to play shift to shift a certain way.

against that trap that meant get the red line and dump it in. i saw shots against the caps, but i dont recall any outragious saves by vokoun. it seemed pretty average stuff. one goal against was result of a turnover and the other a miscommunication between vokoun and wideman after a save.

i dont think that was a bruce game at all.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
it's calm because all the bruce haters have nothing to ***** about, because if they did, they'd have to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, it's not really the coach.
PG, honestly, I don't see where you can think that folks who've doubted the coach for 2 years are going to be dissuaded by 1 game. Nothing in this game suggested that it's all the players and the coach was without culpability. To me this game says they've got years of bad habits to work out.

Can they? Will they? That remains TBD, but there's nothing in this game that would make me (not a BB hater, but wanted him gone) or a hater think he was innocent and got screwed.

For the record, and I don't mean to pick on you but have wanted to ask someone from the "it's the players' fault" camp, do you credit them alone for their great play in 08-09? or was BB a factor? if he was, how come he's not a factor in their more recent failures? or conversely, how come they deserve only partial credit but 100% of the blame? I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just want to understand the argument.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Meh. Their possession game wasn't going to suddenly turn around after one practice against one of the best 5-on-5 teams in the league. It's going to be a process, though I'm a bit skeptical that this roster is capable of being a heavy forecheck sort of team. It'll be an interesting process to watch unfold and something Hunter will have to really ride them on in practice but I don't think the pieces are necessarily there up front overall.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote